• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The Pokémon Let's Go part of the leak is also fairly suspicious, today we got a trailer showing us Brock and Misty's Gyms and the game's early routes and cities, and the leak states that the Direct will show Lt. Surge's Gym, Lavender Town and Saffron City, which are all locations that come just after what we were shown today, and it'd make sense if they slowly showcase the game's locations in order. Obviously skipping over Celadon would be a bit weird, but it's still odd how it fits with what we've just been shown.

That's not to say that the leak should be believed though, not only is it extremely detailed, which is very rarely the case with legit leaks and tends to be a red flag, but with so much stuff in this supposed Direct it does make me wonder why they didn't reveal a lot of these at E3, which was only a little more than a month earlier than this Direct is supposed to happen. It does have a lot of coincidences going its way though, so it's worth keeping an eye on, but still far from being believable imo.
Oh wow I did not think of that...

The leak says the direct will show case stuff that up until today would be SKIPPING cerulean city and misty. but now mistys been shown and obviously the next bit of pokemon lets go info does not need to showcase her. wow...

My best guess is fake stuff is mixed in with real to throw off nintendo. no other good explanation.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I have yet to see Bayonetta described as a weeb series.

That's a first for me. Granted it did have an anime adaption of the first game.
If all it takes for a series to be considered a "weeb series" is for it to have an anime then well...

And you guys can correct me if there's more.

:ultmario: had a manga and an OVA
:ultlink: had a manga
:ultsamus: had a manga
:ultpit: had anime shorts
:ultfalcon: had an anime
:ultmarth: had a manga and an OVA
:ultvillager: had an OVA
:ultryu: had OVA's
:ultsonic: had a manga, an OVA and an anime
:ultbayonetta: had an OVA
:ultkirby: had an anime
:ultpikachu:long running anime, several manga
:ultinkling: has a manga
:ultmegaman: had an anime
:ultfox: had a manga
:ultcloud: Had an OVA

Smash is a game for weebs.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
On an unrelated note, we got our first look at the boxart for the Ridley and Wolf amiibo. Looks like they're using white and softer colors to make the character artwork stand out more. Personally, I think it looks a lot better than the Smash 4 style.

1531425040559.png
1531425098428.png

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If all it takes for a series to be considered a "weeb series" is for it to have an anime then well...

:ultbayonetta: had an OVA
:ultpikachu:long running anime

Pokemon has a manga. I hear it gets pretty dark at times. I think an Arbok got bisected in the second chapter.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

:ultbayonetta: had an anime movie
:ultpikachu:long running anime

:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultfox:each had anime shorts and :ultryu::ultcloud:had anime movies, while :ultinkling:has an anime (just a motion adaptation of the manga, but it’s something)
Yeah, that's what it should mean.

But I think their point is that nowadays even liking anime can be enough to give you the weeb title. Its meaning has been diluted by the amount of misuse.
True. Hell you can be called a web for watching Shrek...which is a modern thing to do

MainJPW

M.T.A
Pokemon has a manga. I hear it gets pretty dark at times. I think an Arbok got bisected in the second chapter.
There are different manga series that don't interconnect. Haven't read them but I heard some of them are violent and there's some fanservice with some of the characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I remember reading one of the Pokémon mangas as a kid and can confirm, it got dark at times

One character even said “Damn!” iirc which you would never hear in the dubbed anime ever lel

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found ponycorn's post of the leak

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Leak" 3:

Alright bois heres a leak for ya
On July 22nd a 30 minute Nintendo direct will be held
> The direct will start out with the announcement that Funko is making Mario, Pokemon and Zelda themed Funko Pops

> A trailer for a New Super Mario Bros Switch game is show titled New Super Mario World and every level is painted in the way that 5-1 in NSMBU was. The trailer shows Mario, Luigi and Blue Toad as playable characters however Yellow Toad is removed. Instead it is revealed that Wario is going to be playable instead.

> Mario Maker for Switch is next. Showing the game comes with a free stylus and can only be edited while levels can be played on both screens

> Mario Odyssey Dlc is shown next with a new world being Delfino Island from Mario Sunshine.
> MK8D is the final bit of Mario content shown as DLC is shown. The dlc includes 2 new cups. 2 new battle tracks and 6 new characters. The cups shown are the Top Hat Cup and the Shine Cup with only 2 tracks shown for both. Top Hat has New Donk City and Shine Cup is shown with Waluigi Pinball. The battle tracks include the return of Block Fort and the addition of a new track titled Green Greens. The characters shown as DLC are: Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Birdo, Cappy, Pauline and Kirby.

> Mother 3D is announced. It’s a remake of Mother 3 with 3D graphics and full dialogued cutscenes. Amiibos are then revealed with Lucas, Kumatora, Boney, Duster and Masked Man amiibos shown off

> Next are the reveal of 3 popular games from other consoles being ported over: Mortal Kombat X, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Fallout 76

> A Minecraft Mash-Up pack is shown next with it being Zelda themed

> Star Fox racing is revealed, taking a lot of inspiration from F-Zero

> Megaman 11 gets a mini trailer followed by the announcement that you can play as Proto-Man, Bass and Roll

> Pokemon Lets Go is next with a trailer revealing some of the locations like Pallet Town, Lavender Town, Saffron City and Lt Surges Gym

> Gameplay trailer for Fire Emblem: Three Houses

> Kirby Star Allies dream friends are revealed alongside their release date.

> Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming to Nintendo Switch

> Sonic Mania Plus is getting a trailer alongside the confirmation that Metal Sonic is in development as a playable character

> Cuphead is coming to Nintendo switch

> A montage of games are shown including Mario Tennis Aces, Sonic Mania Plus, Rocket League, Owlboy, Bomb Chicken, Camp Camp: Campe Diem, Pool Panic, Buddy Buddiez and Doshin The Giant HD

> A smash trailer for King K Rool and Dixie Kong is shown to end things off. Smash Run is also revealed to return alongside Smash Tour

Geez, this is the wishlist to end all wishlists. If the Switch gets all of this? R.I.P. my wallet. We'll see how this one pans out on the 22nd.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Fire Emblem also has a manga/comic strip based on Heroes

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anybody touched on the fact that the Cuphead devs a while back confirmed the game will remain exclusive to Xbox and PC?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That leak would be amazing but there’s just TWO things that I find hard to believe:

- Cuphead coming to Switch. While I’d love that, wasn’t the game funded by Microsoft and advertised as an Xbox One/PC exclusive for the longest time? Then again Microsoft bought out Minecraft and that’s still multi platform, tho

- Star Fox Racing (taking inspiration from F-Zero). Wasn’t SF Zero kinda hit and miss, Wii U controls notwithstanding? Plus, to have that BEFORE a new F-Zero game is kinda ehhh, as I read somewhere that Nintendo was considering outsourcing a new F-Zero game to a studio that made another indie racing game (Burnout I think it was called?)

There’s also the Fallout 76 and FFVIIR that make me go hmmm, but if it IS true, FFVIIR may be further along in development than previously thought.

Regardless what happens, I want Dante as DLC so we can have his dumb *** in Smash, DLC specifically to get Devil Trigger from 5. ****'ll be hype with "ALL OF THESE VOICES INSIDE OF MY HEAD" blaring
I see him more as Assist Trophy material tbh, but I’d like to see him in in some form AND the Devil Trigger song, it’s sooo badass <3

and so I can call it Super Smash Bros. Ultimate & Knuckles Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's funny how often it's forgotten about when the main running Pokemon mangas are actually both older than the anime and are in the Top 10 Best Selling in the World. :laugh:

I for one still advocate for Mewtwo getting the Spoon Sword. Anime Mewtwo is cool, but the manga predecessor would be more unique. :smirk:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, that's what it should mean.

But I think their point is that nowadays even liking anime can be enough to give you the weeb title. Its meaning has been diluted by the amount of misuse.
Weeaboo was just a nonsensical term made up by Perry Bible Fellowship that never meant anything in the first place.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Hey, I've been thinking something.

So, about victory fanfares for characters... We've been through this with Smash 4 using Brawl ones in all it's demos and I'd bet this will be the case here as well.

But! If by some miracle they change it, I was thinking of something that might make them even cooler than just recording new ones.

So, Smash Ultimate is pretty much a celebration of Smash's legacy right? 8 initial starting characters and all that. So I've been thinking, maybe they could re-use the victory themes for characters from their first appearance. So Mario, Ness, Pikachu etc get their jingle from their 64 days, but like, Lucas gets the one they made for Brawl and so on. Mario Party Top 100 does this for it's victory fanfares (it specifically plays the one from the original game), so I think it would be doable and pretty cool.

Or they could, y'know, just record new ones. I'm happy with anything that isn't Brawl jingles again.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule Warriors,
Fire Emblem Warriors,

Now ... F-ZERO IS BACK in an epic beat em up game, from the creators of the Warriors series, feast yourself on a speed of light, fist punching, skull crushing adventure, in the boots of Captain Falcon.

F-Zero Warriors, coming soon!
Is it bad that this made me imagine a GTA themed F-Zero game?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We needed to know everything about Samus

If Simon joins Smash, then Castlevania can join the anime party of Smash aswell
Speaking of Simon and anime, if we get him in which I’m sure we will, it HAS to be this design:

It fits more with Castlevania’s tone and atmosphere more than his old school 80s design tbh don’t @ me

D

Deleted member

So, about victory fanfares for characters... We've been through this with Smash 4 using Brawl ones in all it's demos and I'd bet this will be the case here as well.

But! If by some miracle they change it, I was thinking of something that might make them even cooler than just recording new ones.

So, Smash Ultimate is pretty much a celebration of Smash's legacy right? 8 initial starting characters and all that. So I've been thinking, maybe they could re-use the victory themes for characters from their first appearance. So Mario, Ness, Pikachu etc get their jingle from their 64 days, but like, Lucas gets the one they made for Brawl and so on. Mario Party Top 100 does this for it's victory fanfares (it specifically plays the one from the original game), so I think it would be doable and pretty cool.

Or they could, y'know, just record new ones. I'm happy with anything that isn't Brawl jingles again.
I would love this just because it'd mean we'd have the old EarthBound victory theme.

It wouldn't be this version but it's just so much better than the current one.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I don’t mind the current victory themes we have now, but giving some of the series new ones would be great aswell (:ultmario::ultlink::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultsamus:atleast)
Speaking of Simon and anime, if we get him in which I’m sure we will, it HAS to be this design:

It fits more with Castlevania’s tone and atmosphere more than his old school 80s design tbh don’t @ me
I can’t say much about either, but I’d go for the 80s one just because...Captain N (not even a supporter of his, but I would t mind him in Smash)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Wait wait wait. What leak? What're we talking about?
You leave these boards for 3 hours I swear...
Old, day or two ago. A couple things were confirmed but others were deconfirmed. I'd say it's a lucky guess or the guy knew something vague and just added random **** to it.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
On an unrelated note, we got our first look at the boxart for the Ridley and Wolf amiibo. Looks like they're using white and softer colors to make the character artwork stand out more. Personally, I think it looks a lot better than the Smash 4 style.

Am I the only one who thinks Wolf looks super weird as an amiibo
Wait wait wait. What leak? What're we talking about?
You leave these boards for 3 hours I swear...
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423701119/

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
The Pokémon Let's Go part of the leak is also fairly suspicious, today we got a trailer showing us Brock and Misty's Gyms and the game's early routes and cities, and the leak states that the Direct will show Lt. Surge's Gym, Lavender Town and Saffron City, which are all locations that come just after what we were shown today, and it'd make sense if they slowly showcase the game's locations in order. Obviously skipping over Celadon would be a bit weird, but it's still odd how it fits with what we've just been shown.

That's not to say that the leak should be believed though, not only is it extremely detailed, which is very rarely the case with legit leaks and tends to be a red flag, but with so much stuff in this supposed Direct it does make me wonder why they didn't reveal a lot of these at E3, which was only a little more than a month earlier than this Direct is supposed to happen. It does have a lot of coincidences going its way though, so it's worth keeping an eye on, but still far from being believable imo.
To be fair if I remember correctly you pass through Saffron City before Celadon City and Fushia City even though Saffron has the 6th gym leader.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

Or we could have both the 80's design and the more anime-esque design, like how Cloud got both his FFVII and FFVII Advent Children designs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say that the MK8D bit seems plausible enough. Even the addition of Kirby, which is something I wouldn't put past Nintendo, they wouldn't resist the chance to add another guest racer.

Ah yes, good old Pokémon Adventure. Yet it still manages to be more accurate than the anime.

No worries mate, I'm a fan of this design too. I just hope they don't go for the Judgement or LoS ones, if he's in.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Can't they just incorporate multiple designs of him, similar to :ultcloud: & :ultike:? Or is it not very easy to do, which I am not sure about.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I will say that the MK8D bit seems plausible enough. Even the addition of Kirby, which is something I wouldn't put past Nintendo, they wouldn't resist the chance to add another guest racer.

Ah yes, good old Pokémon Adventure. Yet it still manages to be more accurate than the anime.

No worries mate, I'm a fan of this design too. I just hope they don't go for the Judgement or LoS ones, if he's in.
Isn’t that the design by the Death Note mangaka?

...is what I said before googling it. Dear God that design is so off lel

Also I meant to say I’d prefer the design I posted as the default. I guess I’d be ok with the 80’s design if it was an alt, just no Death Note-esque design as I feel that design was trying too hard

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Man, I gotta say, Snake looks weird in this game.

I mean, he looked weird in Brawl too, but in Brawl, the realistic and gritty art style helped offset the fact that Snake was fighting alongside Pokémon, Mario characters, etc.

But now that Smash has taken on a much more colorful artstyle, he looks even more strange alongside the other characters.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's actually kinda funny. But it's just much more noticeable than it was in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom