• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There is so much beauty
05DB308F-96B9-4E7E-9C6C-A063DC50F6A8.jpeg
37D88A2B-F17D-4CBB-ADFD-7EB75DB45DBD.jpeg

Pakky

Smash Hero
The Wii U was the sacrificial lamb required to bring about the Switch.
I tell ya because this is the first time in a long time where I'm like "Do I NEED a Sony or a Microsoft console too?"

P.Kat

Smash Champion
hot take: the only reason people are mentioning decidueye way more is b/c he got in pokken. people did the same thing w/ greninja when he was confirmed for smash but nobody knew the pokken roster, iirc

fyi @Lampy (and others) I like Decidueye for a choice about as much as Incineroar and that's saying a lot; my 2nd choice personally. I just don't think it's an 100% done deal.

edit: the only 7th gen starter (assuming they go with a starter) I don't think they'll do is anything from poppilo's line and someone save this post to hysterically laugh if I'm wrong.
Then Sakurai introduces Primarina as the next newcomer who has surprisingly short frame data and fast movement speed cause it either roils on a orb of water, or surf on a wave it creates as it's dash movement, rivaling Pikachu in speed, and uses water spouts to jump, along powerful water attacks while beautifully signing, then all those who picked on it when it was a Popplio will suddenly adore it, and it will hand Incineroar the title of worst Gen7 starter.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I don't think being DLC equates to being overpowered as Roy and Lucas clearly show.
It doesn't, I don't think Nintendo were being malicious. But when a DLC character does turn out overpowered then a pay to win scenario arises. That's my problem, and why I wish fighting games would drop this model. Games in general, actually. One reason why I'll always support Dota 2 over League of Legends.
Although at least League of Legends lets you earn new Champions, unlike most DLC Fighters... it just takes a lot of time.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I definitely have more Virtual Console games for my Wii U than Wii U games by a wide margin, so it has its uses...

right?

surely it isn't just wasting space on my shelf

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Then Sakurai introduces Primarina as the next newcomer who has surprisingly short frame data and fast movement speed cause it either roils on a orb of water, or surf on a wave it creates as it's dash movement, rivaling Pikachu in speed, and uses water spouts to jump, along powerful water attacks while beautifully signing, then all those who picked on it when it was a Popplio will suddenly adore it, and it will hand Incineroar the title of worst Gen7 starter.
if that does happen, just throw any conception of 'rules' out the window

also i want incineroar because we still lack a wrestler in smash >:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Every day the Wii U inches closer into the trash. Every day, what a shame.
You leave my goshdurn U-Box alone. It's mine. It's mine, you hear me?! I set my hands on it, it has its own games, it belongs to me! Keep your greedy, trash-throwing hands away!

Jokes aside, it's wise to remember that not everybody wants to get rid of their Wii Us. I still need it in case I want to play some of my older Wii games, plus there's still a ton of fun exclusives. It's an underdog of the Nintendo family.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
My Wii U is a very important bookend for my Gamecube along with my Switch. Only one console shall ever matter to me, and it's up to the others to protect my Square Boy

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You nerds need to ditch the kiddie **** and slam down a cool $4,999 for the X-Box One X One X.

It has 4K. Does the GameCube have 4K? Not likely.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
also Zinith Zinith maybe you'll be happy to know Yoshi has the most stages per fighter in the franchise
I always get tagged on Mondays for some reason, the day of the week I am away from the computer the most. :yoshi:

Oh yes, Yoshi has the most stages per fighter by the fact that the series has only one fighter. How uplifting...

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I won't be throwing mine away for a while! Although a bad console, the Wii U has my favorite Nintendo library at the moment. About to be surpassed by the Switch due to all of these games being ported, though.
Most of the games on the Wii U are my favorite titles in their respective series, or at least second favorite.
DKC: Tropical Freeze is easily one of the best 2D Platformers created, imo. Fantastic level design, challenging gameplay, lots of optional content.
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild & The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD are both fantastic Zelda games in their own rights.
Super Mario Maker is a great level builder that really opens up the potential for creativity.
Splatoon is a fantastic innovative shooter, although it does suck that playing with friends online is so difficult. The ink mechanic was genius.
Pikmin 3 is a great installment to the Pikmin series and refines a few of the issues with Pikmin 2.
Mario Kart 8 is by far my favorite title in the Mario Kart series. With the largest variety of fully 3D tracks, beautiful graphics, fun online and the best gameplay of the series I can't recommend it more. DX made it even better.
New Super Mario Bros. U is, on paper, the best 2D Mario title. Lots of levels, the most polished level design and even some optional missions. Gotta say tho, it does feel a bit samey to people experienced with the Mario series. But I'd recommend it before any other 2D Mario to anyone getting their first Mario title.
and Smash 4 is my favorite Smash, although I love watching Melee. Just can't play it remotely competently.

There's also 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World, Wonderful 101 and the Bayonetta titles.
Gotta say tho, I'm disappointed that they put a library this good on such a bad console. The Wii U itself was underpowered and the gamepad was just a hassle that served little practical purpose in games. Thankfully, they're porting most of these games over to the Switch. Love Nintendo for that.

Also sucks that the Wii U didn't get an Animal Crossing or Metroid title. Thankfully, at least one of those are on the horizon for the Switch...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay what gives.

Why is there no update?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I won't be throwing mine away for a while! Although a bad console, the Wii U has my favorite Nintendo library at the moment. About to be surpassed by the Switch due to all of these games being ported, though.
Most of the games on the Wii U are my favorite titles in their respective series, or at least second favorite.
DKC: Tropical Freeze is easily one of the best 2D Platformers created, imo. Fantastic level design, challenging gameplay, lots of optional content.
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild & The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD are both fantastic Zelda games in their own rights.
Super Mario Maker is a great level builder that really opens up the potential for creativity.
Splatoon is a fantastic innovative shooter, although it does suck that playing with friends online is so difficult. The ink mechanic was genius.
Pikmin 3 is a great installment to the Pikmin series and refines a few of the issues with Pikmin 2.
Mario Kart 8 is by far my favorite title in the Mario Kart series. With the largest variety of fully 3D tracks, beautiful graphics, fun online and the best gameplay of the series I can't recommend it more. DX made it even better.
New Super Mario Bros. U is, on paper, the best 2D Mario title. Lots of levels, the most polished level design and even some optional missions. Gotta say tho, it does feel a bit samey to people experienced with the Mario series. But I'd recommend it before any other 2D Mario to anyone getting their first Mario title.
and Smash 4 is my favorite Smash, although I love watching Melee. Just can't play it remotely competently.

There's also 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World, Wonderful 101 and the Bayonetta titles.
Gotta say tho, I'm disappointed that they put a library this good on such a bad console. The Wii U itself was underpowered and the gamepad was just a hassle that served little practical purpose in games. Thankfully, they're porting most of these games over to the Switch. Love Nintendo for that.

Also sucks that the Wii U didn't get an Animal Crossing or Metroid title. Thankfully, at least one of those are on the horizon for the Switch...
And then ported 80% of those titles onto the Switch, making the Wii U even more obsolete.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Just be like Etika and throw that Wii U away instantly
Yeah, that didn't end well for GimR... check his reaction to Ultimate (I don't think I'm allow to link the video since the song he uses during the vid has explicit language and stuff).

Still a shame it did so poorly, I'm still waiting for a port of Wind Waker HD.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of the Wii U, It's such a shame its load times were so dang awful. Honestly one of the little things that I'm most hyped for about Smash Ultimate is that the start up load times will probably be far more bearable. Smash U and occasionally Netflix are the only things I ever use that machine for anymore.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The Wii U was the sacrificial lamb required to bring about the Switch.
Dude, everything about the Wii U feels like it was a beta for the Switch.

The GamePad? Beta functionality for the Switch itself.
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash? Look at some comparisons between that and Aces. It looks like a beta version of Aces.
Smash 4? With how expressive the characters are now, the new results screen, the plethora of content... Basically a beta version of Ultimate.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, that didn't end well for GimR... check his reaction to Ultimate (I don't think I'm allow to link the video since the song he uses during the vid has explicit language and stuff).

Still a shame it did so poorly, I'm still waiting for a port of Wind Waker HD.
The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker HD: DX?
TLoZtWWHDDX?

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Haven't there already been days with no update? They've gotta space this stuff out or they're gonna run out before release.
Also sucks that the Wii U didn't get an Animal Crossing title
Are you telling me you've already forgotten the blockbuster smash hit Amiibo Festival?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually think we might see the birth of the stage or item section tonight.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
There is so much beauty
I mained Pit in Brawl and was completely frustrated with his design, gameplay-wise and appearance, on Smash4.
From what I saw he is way more similar to Smash 4's Pit than Brawl (gameplay) but at least he doesn't look like a GrandChase character anymore.
His proportions are more grow-up/teenager, I'm totally behind the changes. I think that most characters are returning to look more realistic in this new game. Shulk is also looking older than in Smash4. Smash 4's Shulk seems to be 3~4 prior to the Xenoblade one.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
And then ported 80% of those titles onto the Switch, making the Wii U even more obsolete.
Yeah, that was one of my points. But Smash 4, Super Mario Maker and the remaining games that weren't ported are enough of a reason for me to keep it around.

...I probably will store it once we inevitably get Mario Maker 2 and Smash Ultimate, though.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I rather have Takumi be the "Archer" in the leak; I just love his design. At the very least DLC PLEASE.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Haven't there already been days with no update? They've gotta space this stuff out or they're gonna run out before release.

Are you telling me you've already forgotten the blockbuster smash hit Amiibo Festival?
I CHOSE to forget.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Smash 4 is probably gonna die as soon as Ultimate comes out, but not like, because the game is bad or anything. Yes Bayo is broken and Cloud is getting banned in doubles due to overcentrialization BUT the issue with Smash 4 is the Wii U itself.

When you want to set up a Wii U display, you need the bulky ass Wii U itself and the equally bulky Wii U Gamepad, along with a charger to go with it, AND the Gamecube Adapter. You can also use the Pro Controller but most people don't have that. By comparison, for the Switch all you need is the dock, the Switch itself and a Gamecube Adapter, heck you don't even NEED the dock, really. If Smash Ultimate does wireless play like Splatoon does you could just have two people fight it out on their own Switches with no TV required, this is miles and miles ahead of needing the hefty Wii U setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom