• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I want to see Mimkyu in just so people can complain about it. Think about it:

Three Marios (:ultmario::ultdoc::ultluigi:) hes green mario its a joke shut up
Three Links (:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:)
Two Samuses (:ultsamus::ultzss:), three if Dark Samus gets in
Three Pikachus (:ultpikachu::ultpichu: + Mimikyu)
Three Marths (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy:)
Two Pits (:ultpit::ultdarkpit:)

Imagine the outrage. It'd be amazing.

Don't put words in a madman's mouth, he might spit it back at you.

I see you don't support Chrom then. :rolleyes: I personally disagree, even without hand axes there's more to it that you could pull from.
I mean, I want Mimikyu to be in.......but it better not be a clone of Pikachu.

I'd rather swallow the Decidueye pill than have to live with that.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
To me it always felt like greninja being in smash is what made him really popular in the first place.
X and Y came out a year before Smash 4 and Greninja was already massively popular (surprise surprise) by then, especially with how blatantly they wanted to make it competitively viable.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure he said he chose Greninja because he liked his design.
Like I said, man of culture.
You're like one step closer to actually starting **** because you're pressuring those opinions lad.
also [citation needed]

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
was mushroomy kingdom even particularly popular?

although looking at it, it's kind of the quintessential brawl stage? In that it's so gritty and realistic like brawl was trying to be, even at odds with how cartoony nintendo games are.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I mean has Lucario done anything related to Steel, or Ivysaur do anything poison? If Mimikyu got in Smash, I see it mostly just slashing with it's hand...things rather than phasing in and out of reality like an actual ghost, and at that point I'd just go for the Owl.
I'd kill for Silvally but he's NEVER EVER ;_;
I think it's more about how the concept fits with the typing. Ivysaur is very clearly Grass, so most of it's moves will be grass related like Bullet Seed and Razor Leaf, while Lucario's Steel typing is more of an afterthought compared to how it's "the Aura Pokemon" leading to how it's portrayed in Smash. Mimikyu will most likely be based around it's ghostly appearance, using it's ghostly arms and other ghostly looking stuff like Dark Pulse(yes i know its Dark), Curse or Pain Split to go with the "cutely unnerving" thing it's got goin on. It's probably gonna use Play Rough and maybe even Dazzling Gleam, but ghostly stuff is likely gonna be it's main theme. Decidueye on the other hand will likely be only based off his Archer Owl concept, so it's not likely to go for anything creepy as Ghost or Poison Ivy plant manipulation as Grass. It's gonna have things like Spirit Shackle, Brave Bird, Acrobatics, and Pluck (as a stealing move) as specials with wing swiping moves and using it's talons and maybe even arrows for it's normals.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I dunno... What if there isn't a new Pokemon newcomer?
Don't forget that the Pokemon Trainer is being treated as three separate characters by Nintendo. This means that Pokemon has 9 reps; more than the Mario series. Not to mention that there are three returning Pokemon characters (Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur) that haven't appeared in years and weren't present in Smash 4. That's three characters that they couldn't base off of Smash 4 and had to translate into an entirely new game.
They might deem this as enough Pokemon content, and since there's no focused marketing push for a specific Gen 7 Pokemon I feel like it's easily possible that they won't be adding a new one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still expecting that there will be a Pokemon newcomer. I just wouldn't be surprised if there weren't one.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
How can someone not like a ninja frog that uses his tongue as a scarf
Maybe people prefer other characters? Or are afraid of frogs?

On a serious note, is there a way to report advertisements on the site? The site sometimes redirects to a scam site without warning.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You're like one step closer to actually starting **** because you're pressuring those opinions lad.
also [citation needed]
It isn't an opinion, in the interview I'm fairly certain Sakurai said he was given a few choices but went with Greninja. No idea where people found the interview but I've read it myself.

EDIT: As close as I'm gonna get tonight:
"Sakurai acknowledged how he refers to The Pokémon Company for input on which of their animals will remain topical, with anime and movie appearances being a point of consideration. Naturally, as X and Y hadn’t been released when the roster was decided, market research pertaining to them was unfeasible. However, Greninja was unsurprisingly accompanied by stages based on X and Y.

Sakurai planned on including a Pokémon from the then-latest generation. He discussed the matter with his team, and they eventually reached a consensus on Greninja. When Sakurai was made aware of it, all he had to work with were reference drawings. But that was enough to inspire him; that same day, Sakurai stayed awake until midnight to conceptualize Greninja. So, technically Greninja was listed in the infamous Gematsu leak, albeit as “Pokémon from X/Y.”'

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I think a ghost type will be nice. Still thinking Decidueye will be the pokemon rep this time

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I do wonder about decidueye, because Rowlet is the popular one, not it's evolution. Unlike Greninja which was always super popular from the word go.

Greninja is cool though so i'm glad it's in.

EDIT:
I want to see the boring blog update already, so I can go to sleep.
Wasn't it Marth??

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look I like ninja kermit, really. But he's the most mainstream Pokemon since Charizard don't you try to deny it.

A different opinion isn't bad, mate.
That's because he's basically the modern day equivalent of Chariard to people who started with Gen 6, myself included.
How can someone not like a ninja frog that uses his tongue as a scarf
I know right?

Best starter of all time. Don't even argue.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This, sadly. With that in mind we have to go off which Pokemon are most present in media outside of the games and make our guesses from there Gen 7 frontrunners are

• Decidueye - Spotlight in Pokken, Rowlet being Ash's starter
  • Incineroar - Rival spot in the movie+anime, Intimidate makes him really strong in VCG
  • Lycanrock - Ash's anime ace, evolution gimmick, special third form
  • Mimikyu - Pikachu v3, basically manufactured to be marketable
  • Zeraora/Marshadow - Late additions but both have some marketing push behind them
After that we have less likely things such as Tapu Koko or an Ultra Beast. The thing is when Gamefreak really wants to push a Pokemon, they make it blatantly obvious from the get go that you're supposed to use this Pokemon above all else, for example Greninja was Ash's starter, got a special Mega "evolution", got one of the best abilties in the game with Protean, excellent stats, everything about Greninja tells you "yes, use this one,"

But we don't really HAVE that in Gen 7, all the aftermentioned Pokemon are only so-so in battle with the exception of Mimikyu, or don't have the sheer marketing push that Greninja got. In Gen 4 it was obvious Gamefreak wanted you to love Lucario, and they tried the same thing with Zoroark and messed up, and again with Greninja, but this time it's like...there's so many potential Smash characters that it's almost like NONE of them are gonna get in and we're gonna get something ridiculous like Tangela or Slowpoke or something.
Oh yeah, I remember hearing that Mimikyu was the most used Pokémon in online battles or something.

Surprising that Mimikyu is both one of the most popular Gen 7 Pokémon in media and the competitive Pokémon scene at the same time.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
was mushroomy kingdom even particularly popular?

although looking at it, it's kind of the quintessential brawl stage? In that it's so gritty and realistic like brawl was trying to be, even at odds with how cartoony nintendo games are.

Not sure, I don't think people liked the 1-1 dry outlook, but I always thought 1-2 was pretty spot-on with its look

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Given FE has been itemless for so many games now, I always thought the Hand Axe was a great choice for an item, even if we have the boomerang that does something similar. It could be a throwing axe that places a victim in a Corrin-type pin once maybe? I also thought the Warp staff could be a fun item.

I just want more FE love outside of fighters.
The Levin Sword was always my pick for a Fire Emblem item but then, well, Robin happened. :p

The Hand Axe would be great. That and the Javelin are oft-recurring godsends, gameplay-wise, so it'd be neat to see them in Smash. Plus my favorite axe-users like Minerva and Frederick (or Ogma after promotion, I suppose) don't have any reasonable shot anyway, so it's not like they'd miss out. :p

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Was translating the Japanese Smash site and got these werid translations:
Pokemon Trainer -
It is a resurrection with Zenigame, Fushigi, Lizardard. Girls are now to choose!

Krystal -
In addition to the melee attack with the stick called Crystal Staff, Ice blasting gives cold air and freezes the fighter. You can not go on.

Young Link -
The exercise capacity is higher than the link, and the skincare is lighter by that much, making it easier to wipe off.

Falco -
It is quick to get out and the jumping power is high, but moving on the ground is a late fighter. The last chance is the total attack of Erwin's messed up!

Sonic -
Speed of movement is fast, there are many rush of rushing system. Cutting "Super Sonic" is also fast anyway!

DK Arcade Memory:
"Donkey Kongong" was released as an arcade game in 1981. It is a game that saves ladies taken away by Donkey Kong while avoiding obstacles by just moving and jumping. Who's the man behind you ...?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Given FE has been itemless for so many games now, I always thought the Hand Axe was a great choice for an item, even if we have the boomerang that does something similar. It could be a throwing axe that places a victim in a Corrin-type pin once maybe? I also thought the Warp staff could be a fun item.

I just want more FE love outside of fighters.
I would like to have more FE in general; I like having more fighters; but FE is has many options for ATs; and an item it would be fun too.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Here is Sakurai talking about Greninja's inclusion. It doesn't really say why he chose him, only that he personally designed his move set (and apparently in one night):
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/12/...he-inclusion-of-greninja-in-super-smash-bros/
Yeah, in my post you quoted I just editted in a page that talked about how Greninja was selected.

You can scroll up to read the relevant part or find it in the link here:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
"For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations."

Basically "Gamefreak chose it for me".
It's certainly possible that Gamefreak chose to push Greninja, but that's a big assumption to make out of that statement. Sakurai literally just says Greninja wasn't named before he saw his design.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
"For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations."

The source I gave literally says Sakurai left it to his team to decide. Game Freak didn't force Greninja on them.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Gamefreak clearly hasn't chosen Decidueye. It's barely marketed and I don't even think it's appeared in the anime yet.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It's certainly possible that Gamefreak chose to push Greninja, but that's a big assumption to make out of that statement. Sakurai literally just says Greninja wasn't named before he saw his design.
Well then who gave him those illustrations?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I dunno. Maybe it's cuz my favorite's aren't exactly loved by Gamefreak, but I just can't get into Pokemon like Greninja.
He's cool, but wayy too mainstream.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
hot take: the only reason people are mentioning decidueye way more is b/c he got in pokken. people did the same thing w/ greninja when he was confirmed for smash but nobody knew the pokken roster, iirc

fyi @Lampy (and others) I like Decidueye for a choice about as much as Incineroar and that's saying a lot; my 2nd choice personally. I just don't think it's an 100% done deal.

edit: the only 7th gen starter (assuming they go with a starter) I don't think they'll do is anything from poppilo's line and someone save this post to hysterically laugh if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Is it really? When you look at all of the shilling Greninja got in Gen 6, I just have a hard time believing Greninja was "chosen" as much as he was decided upon by Gamefreak and investors. Imagine having the anime give Ash a Froakie, having Froakie do all his cool stuff and get Ash-Greninja, and in the middle of all this we get Chespin as the Pokemon in Smash. When you think about how long it takes to plan, write and animate a long running TV series like the Pokemon
Anime, chances are Greninja was planned to be Ash's ace and star Pokemon of the generation much longer before Smash development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom