• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Is it really? When you look at all of the shilling Greninja got in Gen 6, I just have a hard time believing Greninja was "chosen" as much as he was decided upon by Gamefreak and investors. Imagine having the anime give Ash a Froakie, having Froakie do all his cool stuff and get Ash-Greninja, and in the middle of all this we get Chespin as the Pokemon in Smash. When you think about how long it takes to plan, write and animate a long running TV series like the Pokemon
Anime, chances are Greninja was planned to be Ash's ace and star Pokemon of the generation much longer before Smash development.
I'm saying it's a big assumption to make out of that one comment from Sakurai. Not that Greninja wasn't chosen by GameFreak to push him. That's entirely possible , if not likely

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Mario - 7:21
Yoshi - 1:5
Wario - 1:2
DK - 2:6
LoZ - 6:9
Pokemon - 7:8
Fire Emblem - 6:3
Metroid - 3:6
Kirby - 3:6
Mother - 2:4
Star Fox - 3:5
Kid Icarus - 3:3
Animal Crossing - 1:3
F-Zero - 1:4
Ice Climber - 1:2
Pikmin - 1:2
Xenoblade - 1:1
Splatoon - 1:1
Duck Hunt - 1:1
Sonic - 1:2
Mega Man - 1:1
Bayonetta - 1:1
Final Fantasy - 1:1
Pac-Man - 1:2
Street Fighter - 1:1

Above are the ratios for each series number of fighters to number of stages (I could have missed some).

I know it's been discussed before but FE is literally the only franchise represented in Smash with more fighters than stages, heck, Mario has enough stages for each fighter to get three! It's not the most important thing ever, especially with how relatively few instantly recognizable locations there are in the series, but I really want more FE stages. It's somehow become one of the top things on my Ultimate wishlist.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Is it really? When you look at all of the shilling Greninja got in Gen 6, I just have a hard time believing Greninja was "chosen" as much as he was decided upon by Gamefreak and investors. Imagine having the anime give Ash a Froakie, having Froakie do all his cool stuff and get Ash-Greninja, and in the middle of all this we get Chespin as the Pokemon in Smash. When you think about how long it takes to plan, write and animate a long running TV series like the Pokemon
Anime, chances are Greninja was planned to be Ash's ace and star Pokemon of the generation much longer before Smash development.
It's amazing how it's not blatantly obvious to others but eh.

I can't wait for Sakurai to once again magically pick gen 7's most popular Pokemon without any knowledge of how hard Gamefreak will shill it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If they liked Greninja that much then why couldn't it defeat Alain's Charizard? Why couldn't it, a water type Pokémon, tank a fire type attack, which it resisted??? HM?

NO I'M NOT MAD ABOUT THAT ANYMORE.

OKAY I'M STILL MAD.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai fell asleep in front the computer I bet, waking up later to the terror that some people will get overhyped about no blog update yet.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman

Above are the ratios for each series number of fighters to number of stages (I could have missed some).

I know it's been discussed before but FE is literally the only franchise represented in Smash with more fighters than stages, heck, Mario has enough stages for each fighter to get three! It's not the most important thing ever, especially with how relatively few instantly recognizable locations there are in the series, but I really want more FE stages. It's somehow become one of the top things on my Ultimate wishlist.
I want more actual stages from key moments/locations in the games. The only one like that in Smash is Arena Ferox. (I'm glad that stage is returning BTW. Like all the other 3DS stages, it looks great in HD.)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It'd be a dream to hear these Sonic tracks in Ultimate a bit modern, but that's cause...
I've never played any of the Classic Sonic except maybe one level forgive me ;_;

Edit: Wasn't finished computer was acting up.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I want more actual stages from key moments/locations in the games. The only one like that in Smash is Arena Ferox. (I'm glad that stage is returning BTW. Like all the other 3DS stages, it looks great in HD.)
Arena Ferox is my fav out of all of them, especially with my love for Flavia and Basilio. I can understand Castle Siege for trying to represent the concept of Fire Emblem in a single stage, but Coliseum is just sort of... generic and redundant. Arena Ferox should honestly have just been for both Wii U and 3DS rather than make a separate stage like they did.

Honestly, I associate Fountain of Dreams with FE more than Kirby thanks to Melee and the drought of FE stages

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I've been brainstorming Fire Emblem stages for the past few weeks and it baffles me when people say the series doesn't offer a lot stage-wise.

Like, there are at least ten interesting stage locations just from Shadows of Valentia. And that's just one game in a soon-to-be-sixteen game franchise, not even counting spin offs.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm personally expecting Lycanroc as the Pokemon newcomer, if we get one.

I don't know what form, but I remember all the stuff Rockruff and Lycanroc got during the Sun and Moon days.
Rockruff was the first Pokemon Kukui shows you, they have a lot of merchandise, the Rockruff's Corocoro "secret", and then he got 2 evos, and then another one, and then a Z Move and now it's Ash's main Pokemon that isn't Pikachu, and Gladion has one, and Olivia, and Kukui, and Cross... yeah.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
btw, here's what the Pokemon roster looks like when you split the character icons from Pokemon Trainer.
Why? Because I thought it'd look pretty and it puts the size of the roster into perspective.

Untitled.png

Personally, I hope that we'll get Lycanroc. Decidueye or Mimikyu would be great, too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Although, Slavic Slavic , there is one other franchise with more characters than stages.

:ultrob:

...It's just a really unfortunate case.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
update soon hype for blog post i guess

Yeah same, I don't even think it's the most likely Pokemon newcomer, just the one I want the most.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go to bed.
I only pointed you out because I know how much you like Decidueye ^^; Who do you think are the most likely pokemon newcomers?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Helps with :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike:being repped by generic Castles and Coliseums while :ultrobin:ultlucina:(and maybe:ultcorrin:)get to have the glorious Arena Ferox, though I’m definitely not against more good FE stages regardless of where the stage is based off of

Also with that Mario part, all we would need for that to be completely true is to have a Dr.Mario stage and maybe even a stage about Bowser’s Castle (maybe every character can have a stage that represents them, even if they get 2 or more stages repping them)
You'd think they would have a Gyromite stage or something by now.
I would like that

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Ok I apologize if this has already been talked about but I just found out about some listings of voice actors for the game on IMDB. All of them are characters, assists, and pokeballs we already know to be in the game with the exception of two. Voice actors are listed for both Chorus Kids and Tabuu. I first saw Chorus Kids and thought little of it because I know IMBD isn't the most accurate source but a voice actor was listed for Tabuu and I recall Tabuu never had a voice or made human sounds in the Subspace Emissary. That really made me think because IMBD would really have to be making some crap up if it's not real. That said I'm still leaning toward it being fake but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if we will get more than 8 skins?
In the demo build its missing several skins from S4 and in ridleys trailer we saw meta ridley. I also doubt theyd cut Macs skins in half randomly.
I wonder ...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok I apologize if this has already been talked about but I just found out about some listings of voice actors for the game on IMDB. All of them are characters, assists, and pokeballs we already know to be in the game with the exception of two. Voice actors are listed for both Chorus Kids and Tabuu. I first saw Chorus Kids and thought little of it because I know IMBD isn't the most accurate source but a voice actor was listed for Tabuu and I recall Tabuu never had a voice or made human sounds in the Subspace Emissary. That really made me think because IMBD would really have to be making some crap up if it's not real. That said I'm still leaning toward it being fake but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Literally anyone can edit IMDB. Take nothing from there seriously.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
This, sadly. With that in mind we have to go off which Pokemon are most present in media outside of the games and make our guesses from there Gen 7 frontrunners are

• Decidueye - Spotlight in Pokken, Rowlet being Ash's starter
  • Incineroar - Rival spot in the movie+anime, Intimidate makes him really strong in VCG
  • Lycanrock - Ash's anime ace, evolution gimmick, special third form
  • Mimikyu - Pikachu v3, basically manufactured to be marketable
  • Zeraora/Marshadow - Late additions but both have some marketing push behind them
After that we have less likely things such as Tapu Koko or an Ultra Beast. The thing is when Gamefreak really wants to push a Pokemon, they make it blatantly obvious from the get go that you're supposed to use this Pokemon above all else, for example Greninja was Ash's starter, got a special Mega "evolution", got one of the best abilties in the game with Protean, excellent stats, everything about Greninja tells you "yes, use this one,"

But we don't really HAVE that in Gen 7, all the aftermentioned Pokemon are only so-so in battle with the exception of Mimikyu, or don't have the sheer marketing push that Greninja got. In Gen 4 it was obvious Gamefreak wanted you to love Lucario, and they tried the same thing with Zoroark and messed up, and again with Greninja, but this time it's like...there's so many potential Smash characters that it's almost like NONE of them are gonna get in and we're gonna get something ridiculous like Tangela or Slowpoke or something.
Everyone's talking about Gen 7 (which is cool cause Lycanroc, and Zeraora are who I want), meanwhile I just want one Gen 3 Pokémon, Gardevoir.
I mean even Ganondorf has a sword now. :troll:

But a big ol' axe sized yes to Hector because we need more than just Villager wielding axes.
So about them lancers? Anyone? Hello? *Echoes of Hello*

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
IMDB can be edited by anyone. It's a hoax.

Also, Tabuu doesn't have a voice actor because he doesn't speak.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The update is really late, isn't it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In the demo build its missing several skins from S4 and in ridleys trailer we saw meta ridley. I also doubt theyd cut Macs skins in half randomly.
I wonder ...
I honestly hope that Ike doesn't keep just 8. He has 2 forms now and now the colors are split between them. RIP anyone who wants to play as RD Ike with Greil or PoR Ike in Enemy Unit colors.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Call it now.

DLC skin packs. Characters have odd numbers, with as few as 8. More can be purchased for a fee.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I wonder ...
I'm hoping that they go for a cosmetic DLC model instead. I'd vastly prefer if they sold costumes and released fighters for free or a lower price (Even $2 would be way better than the current prices) instead of vice versa.
Unlikely, though. They'll probably just stick with the common model where paying for an unbalanced and overpriced fighter could potentially give you an advantage.
Still salty about that. I have a few OP DLC fighters from Smash 4 in mind...

But anyway, back to reality! I expect Meta Ridley to replace one of the Ridley costumes in the demo. The others are probably cut. But if we get unlockable costumes then that'd be awesome.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Tell you guys what, wanna make a bet the Lycannroc won't be Ash's 'ace' by the Sun/Moon anime season's end?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Call it now.

DLC skin packs. Characters have odd numbers, with as few as 8. More can be purchased for a fee.
Swimsuits, underwear, and PJs if this isn't half the rost Sakurai has forsaken us.

:ultbayonetta: Nun

:ultness:Pjs
:ultmario:Trunks
:ultluigi:Mr. L
:ultlink: Underwear
:ultpeach:Mario Kart
:ultdaisy:Mario Kart
:ultpokemontrainer:Grunt outfit
:ultsnake:Naked Snake
:ultzss:Pjs?
:ultvillager:Pjs
:ulttoonlink: Conductor
:ultcloud: You know the one
:ultshulk:Underwear
:ultolimar: as a Pikmin
:ultbowser:Wedding
:ultdk:Punch Out
:ultmegaman: No Helmet
:ultkingdedede:Pjs?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm hoping that they go for a cosmetic DLC model instead. I'd vastly prefer if they sold costumes and released fighters for free or a lower price (Even $2 would be way better than the current prices) instead of vice versa.
Unlikely, though. They'll probably just stick with the common model where paying for an unbalanced and overpriced fighter could potentially give you an advantage.
Still salty about that. I have a few OP DLC fighters from Smash 4 in mind...

But anyway, back to reality! I expect Meta Ridley to replace one of the Ridley costumes in the demo. The others are probably cut. But if we get unlockable costumes then that'd be awesome.
I don't think being DLC equates to being overpowered as Roy and Lucas clearly show.
I think being a 3rd party and having the pressure to make the character as strong and as faithful to the source material as possible is what really caused those DLC fighters to be as unbalanced as they were. This combined with the Smash balancing department leaving immediately after to begin development on SSBU.

Either way, they're definitely going to go for the 5-10 USD range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom