• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The less time spent away from development, the better. I'm moreso questioning why the Korean site gets updated first.
Because the Koreans are hard workers... or maybe Kim Jung-Un is a Smash Bros. fan, who knows... :laugh: (Yes, this is a joke, I know the difference between North and South Korea.)
Also, for some reason they picked Pokémon Stadium for the memories segment instead of Red/Green.
Everyone knows Red/Green, not as many know Stadium. Maybe there's a new Stadium in the works and TPC want people to know what it is, or something.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The very thought of Zero being top tier in yet another fighting game makes me wary of having him in the game. :rolleyes:
Sounds like it's Best Villain Vile's time to shine!

So long as its Zero from MMZ, then I'm 100% down. Make him top tier again for all I care, I just want him to be in a (pseudo) FG that isn't SvC: Chaos.

View attachment 151753
Well, there's always Onimusha Blade Warriors. It's also the only fighting game with Mega Man EXE as fighter. :urg:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Vision from a strange Dimension where every third party gets a second rep...

Snake > Raiden
Sonic > Tails
Megaman > Zero
Pac-Man > Ms. Pac-Man
Ryu > Ken
Cloud > Tifa Sephiroth
Bayonetta > Jeanne

...You never know, this might happen.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MOOOOOOOOOM GET THE CAMERA!!

Yeah, you have a point moveset wise. I can't even think of a recovery for Heihachi that isn't just basically Shoryukken. Meanwhile, the Devil Gene gives Jin plenty of material between his two forms. Edginess wins again. ;-;

I won't be satisfied until we get Pachirisu. It won the world championship one year it deserves it.

I'm only half-joking.
Heihachi could use the Hell Axle for his recovery. That double flying kick move? Jin's my main in Tekken so I wouldn't be salty if was chosen over his Grandpa.

You know, Heihachi is cool and all, but when are we getting Kyo or Terry?

Heihachi/Jin =Terry >>>Chun-Li>>>Kazuya>>> Kyo>>>Sub-Zero/Scorpion>>>No one>>>>>>>>>>>>>Morrigan

It's the official tier list, I'm sorry.

I know, but it's still an infinitesimal chance for her to be playable here.
For sure, there's no way we're getting a second Mega Man character, I doubt we're getting something like Akuma or Shadow either.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Heihachi/Jin =Terry >>>Chun-Li>>>Kazuya>>> Kyo>>>Sub-Zero/Scorpion>>>No one>>>>>>>>>>>>>Morrigan

So what you're saying is, no one is better than Morrigan?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Heihachi could use the Hell Axle for his recovery. That double flying kick move? Jin's my main in Tekken so I wouldn't be salty if was chosen over his Grandpa.

For sure, there's no way we're getting a second Mega Man character, I doubt we're getting something like Akuma or Shadow either.
Yeah, I thought of that too but how does that go up? Do you gotta input all the kicks then the uppercut? So would it just be Ryu's Tatsumaki with a built in Shoryuken finisher? I dunno that seems like a reach to me. I'd take Heihachi and never ask for anything again but I just don't see that working out.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So I'm wondering: Was there any rumor or leak or anything of the sort during Smash 4 speculation that had Robin on it?
I mean, yes, but no. Not publicly before the reveal, at least. Robin's reveal was the one that made me reconsider my own information. I was told it was Robin, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt a couple months before Robin's trailer dropped, but I had little reason to believe it, and more than a couple reasons to disbelieve it, at the time. That's largely the reason I backed up Ninka/Shun when he posted his leak. It wasn't just because he also had Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt on his list, but because I had them and a confirmed character on mine.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Let's go into Namco characters in a bit more detail.

I see four IPs that I think are possible.

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales of
Dark Souls

I don't see any other as possible. The other IPs are either too obscure or too small to really be considered, and I'm being nice by listing these four.

I think that each of these IPs have a unique set of pros and cons.

Tekken
+IP has the most legacy by far
+Very popular and successful
+Has a clear defined character to include in Heihachi
+Heihachi has been considered by Sakurai meaning that he's on his mind.
+Heihachi is a Mii costume, meaning Sakurai views him as special

-Heihachi was called difficult to design
-While popular in his own right, Heihachi hasn't gotten a lot of requests for Smash, especially in the ballot period

Soul Calibur
+IP is historic
+Very popular and successful though they did have a dip for a while
+Has a clear defined character to include in Nightmare

-Heihachi is more popular overall and has been considered by Sakurai, meaning Soul Calibur has to compete with its fighting game big brother
- Series had a large "It's ruined" phase for a few years, potentially decreasing public opinion
-While popular in his own right, Nightmare hasn't gotten a lot of requests for Smash, especially in the ballot period

Tales of
+IP is historic
+Popular and successful
+Lloyd is a Mii costume, meaning Sakurai views him as special
+ Lloyd is a Nintendo fan favorite and has received lots of requests for Smash
+ Swamp's personal favorite <3

- Even though Lloyd seems to be the front runner, there are actually a lot of characters the series could include, making it hard to choose one
- Smallest IP on this list by far, its fairly niche
- Lloyd requests unfortunately petered out after Brawl though they were still noticeable during the ballot, no one else seemed to pick up the slack

Dark Souls
+Very popular and successful
+ Nintendo has taken an interest in the IP, being the ones to announce Dark Souls Remastered

- Pretty new and doesn't have the legacy of other IPs
- Requests for a character only showed up after Dark Souls Remastered was announced which is way too late

I personally think Tekken and Tales of are the two IPs to watch.

What do you all think?
Personally, I only see Tekken having a real shot at getting a character in Smash.
Dark Souls might seem too new, although Bayonetta is a younger franchise yet still got in. Even still, Dark Souls doesn't really have a single fan favorite to hinge on and it doesn't have the relationship that Bayonetta has with Nintendo.
As for Soul Calibur, it has to compete with Tekken, which is the best selling fighting game franchise of all time. You can argue that Soul Calibur 2 for the GameCube had that exclusive Nintendo content, but so did the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. The only way I can see a Soul Calibur character work is if Sakurai can not figure out a way to implement any Tekken character, and I don't think moveset difficulties is going to prevent Sakurai from seeing Heihachi face off against Ryu. It also does not help that there isn't a lot of popularity for any one SC character.
Then there is Tales. Of the four, Tales does have the most history on Nintendo hardware. Like Tekken, Tales is well known across Japan and the West, but it's to a smaller extent. And if the Ballot is any indication, Lloyd Irving could have very well been a popular pick on the Ballot.
Even with all these positive things, though, Tales does not have just one protagonist. It has multiple, and the question of who could appear is tricky to answer. Lloyd may very well be the guy, but he has stiff competition. He's the most likely Namco character not named Heihachi.

Heihachi just fulfills alot of Sakurai's guidelines for a third party character. Tekken carries history. When you think of fighting games, Tekken is one of the first names to come up. Tekken was pivotal to the popularization of 3D fighting games. It has appeared on Nintendo hardware in the past on GBA and Wii U. Tekken is one of the few Japanese video game franchises yet to be in Smash that is well known across the world. Tekken is iconic and Heihachi has been the face of the series.
The only major hurdle for Heihachi is his moveset potential. If Sakurai can figure it out, then Smash will be home to both Ryu and Heihachi. If not, I don't think it's likely we will get another Namco character.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Sounds like it's Best Villain Vile's time to shine!

Well, there's always Onimusha Blade Warriors. It's also the only fighting game with Mega Man EXE as fighter. :urg:

...Oh yeah, that exists. Oops :p

Eh, this list I can get behind-

Kazuya>>> Kyo

BIG DISAGREE

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I thought of that too but how does that go up? Do you gotta input all the kicks then the uppercut? So would it just be Ryu's Tatsumaki with a built in Shoryuken finisher? I dunno that seems like a reach to me. I'd take Heihachi and never ask for anything again but I just don't see that working out.
The Hell Axle Kicks work on their own, no uppercut usually. You might be mixed up with the Hell Sweep, which CAN be comboed into the Uppercut. Hell Sweep would be better as a Down B or something. Obviously, you'd exaggerate the Hell Axle's height, like in SFXTK.

So what you're saying is, no one is better than Morrigan?
If that's what you want it to mean.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Okay, let's play a hypotheticals game!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is released and, shortly after release, Sakurai reveals that there will be an (in-game) online poll to determine an Assist Trophy/Pokéball to be promoted to playability.

The candidates are:
  1. Waluigi
  2. Krystal
  3. Gardevoir
  4. Lyn
  5. Phosphora
  6. Takamaru
  7. Knuckles
Honorary mentions are Ashley and Isaac (who are unconfirmed but I would expect to be playable, however, I will list them to be on the safe side).
  • Waluigi plays as the "Mario Spinoff Representative", his moveset involves using sports equipment (moreso than Peach and Daisy), throwing Dice (how the Dice Lands determines the effect, like Mr. Game & Watches flag), using DDR dance moves (the sole game where he was the main guy XD) and generating a "Stock Market Building" (like Dr. Wright). His Up Special is "Air Swimming", it's slow and does no damage, but Waluigi has a lot of control and can swim a long distance.
  • Krystal is based almost entirely on Star Fox Adventures, using her Staff for everything. Fire Shots, Ice Shots, a ground slam, using it as a rocket, and also just beating people up with it. Her Final Smash causes a stampede of Dinosaurs.
  • Gardevoir is sort of like a fusion between Zelda and Mewtwo, using Psychic and Fairy -type moves. Two of her Specials are the same as Mewtwo's (Confusion and Teleport), while she uses Moon Blast instead of Shadow Ball (which charges slower but travels faster), and Barrier to increase her Defense. Her basic attacks are more like Zelda's, and her Final Smash "Mega Black Hole", is very similar to Triforce of Wisdom.
  • Lyn is a speed-based Swordswoman, though she also has a Bow in her Neutral Special. She shares Dancing Blade with the Marth archetype, but unlike them she is a lot more mobile during it. She also has Counter, which functions like her Assist Trophy attack (it's more like Lucario and Greninja's, having a slow wind-up and involving moving during the counter attack). The fact that she uses a Katana makes her functional damage range shorter than the Rapier of Marth, but she makes up for this with a lot of speed in her attacks.
  • Phosphora can be summed up as a "Humanoid Pikachu", she combines electrical attacks with fast dancing movements. She is capable of limited gliding, making her better in the air than on the ground. Most of her attacks involve lobbing electricity of various shapes and sizes at her enemies in some way.
  • Takamaru plays as a character in the same way as his Assist Trophy does, playing more like a historical Samurai than Lyn, who only uses a Katana (and Bow)... well, a Historical Samurai who also uses Fireballs. He is capable of throwing his Windwill Swords as with his Assist Trophy, but also can throw Throwing Knives. He is much more range based than other Sword-wielding Characters as a result.
  • Knuckles is basically a translation of his gameplay from Sonic Games. While he can spindash like Sonic can, he is more powerful and relies moreso on Punching to get the job done. His Up Special is a rising uppercut, and like Peach he can glide through the air, though he does so at more of a downward angle. His Down Special allows him to dig into the ground, either to evade attacks, have a unconventional recovery in 'tower' stages, and to facility 'sneak' attacks on unwary foes.
  • Ashley is a spellcaster, and like how Sheik is an archetypal Ninja, Ashley is an archetypal Witch. She can cast elemental spells (Fire, Electricity), summon vines to entrap enemies, cast debuffs on them and, in her Final Smash, turn people into Spoons, an item which she can then throw off the stage/out-of-bounds. Her up special turns Red into a Broom, which she can then fly on, it's similar to Villager's recovery, and Ashley can get knocked off through damage.
  • While Isaac uses a sword in his basic attacks (with aid from his Djinni Sprites), he is a Geomancer in his Specials. He can use his Neutral Special (Quake) to create Blocks in the terrain, and his Side Special (Spire) to create Spikes out of the ground that hurt to land on (and can also be 'felled' like Villager's tree). If used in the Air, theses attacks drop out of the Sky instead (Spire has, naturally, a Spiking effect). His Down Special, Gaia, causes a beam of energy to erupt out of the ground (ending up like a Reverse Thunder if used in the Air), and it is capable of carving chunks out of the Ground, even out of the stage's ledge. Obviously, these alterations to the stage are temporary, and will go away after either a short period of time, or in the case of Quake and Spire, after enough damage is dealt to them. Isaac's Final Smash, Iris, gathers his full team (Garet, Ivan, Mia, Felix, Jenna, Sheba and Piers) and they collectively use the summon to launch caught enemies into the Sun.
You can only vote on one character (though you can say "Ashley/Isaac is they aren't already playable, otherwise [character]").

...Man, this took a long time to write (A full hour)!
Excuse me, I am noticing a distinct lack of Twilight Princesses on this list. Please revise.

Lol, if I can’t get Midna, I’ll go for Gardevoir.
Soul Calibur is another Namco fighting game series they could draw a character from. I figure Nightmare would be the character, with a Siegfried alt possibly (depending on how much Nightmare uses his arm for attacks). It'd be really cool to see Nightmare fight Link again after 15(?) years.
Oh man, I love SoulCalibur because of SCII. Ivy would be an inordinate amount of fun with that whip sword, but the Siegfried/Nightmare combo would be great.

Hope the new one isn’t a catastrophe like the last two main series games. Or the spinoffs. Ugh, SC’s been in the toilet for ages now...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although Heihachi could be an interesting fighter, the fact that he was in PS All Stars: Battle Royale kills any chances of him being playable.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The Hell Axle Kicks work on their own, no uppercut usually. You might be mixed up with the Hell Sweep, which CAN be comboed into the Uppercut. Hell Sweep would be better as a Down B or something. Obviously, you'd exaggerate the Hell Axle's height, like in SFXTK.

If that's what you want it to mean.
Thank you! Sadly, I don't own a Playstation 4 and I never got good when I played 6 and 5 on PSP. Back when I played Tekken I was about as good as the average Joe on For Glory. Never learned all the moves and whatnot.

But yeah that could work.

Although Heihachi could be an interesting fighter, the fact that he was in PS All Stars: Battle Royale kills any chances of him being playable.
?????????

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Wasn't Heihachi considered for Smash 4 but dropped because Sakurai had a difficult time making a moveset for him?

I don't see that changing unless Sakurai can make something suitable for him and is willing to add him to the roster... which he did for Ridley, so he shouldn't be completely out of the question. If he is to be included, he'd be a pretty rad DLC character.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay time for some 100% super serious newcomer predictions from me.

Fire Emblem Reinhardt will be in the game. He'll have amazing range, power and mobility but be poor in close quarters combat. Despite his weaknesses he'll be Brawl Metaknigt levels of broken and dominate the metagame. Every DLC character released afterwards will be designed as some sort of counter for him but he will remain top tier regardless.

Waluigi will in fact be playable. When Waluigi joins the battle, Alfonzo will take his place as an assist trophy. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Alfonzo will also be playable. Whenever Alfonzo and Waluigi join the battle, King K. Rool will take their place as an assist trophy. King K. Rool: "Leave it to me!"

King K. Rool will not be playable due to being too big.

Due to his overwhelming popularity, Alolan Exeggutor will be representing the Alola region. Although his height may make this prediction seem rediculous, let's not forget a certain other oversized dragon made it in despite that. Actually ket me add to this prediction - Alolan Exeggutor will be an echo fighter of Ridley.

Also Wurmple will be playable. Obviously.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Glad we're keeping the Fighting Game talk going for a bit.

He'd have one of the coolest Final Smashes though, with his devil form's eye beam and all...
Jin can do the same thing. Heihachi can strap people to a rocket.

You sure about that? He WAS considered very briefly by Sakurai(around the time as Ryu, though obviously Ryu's more iconic/important). Something worth talking about.

Thank you! Sadly, I don't own a Playstation 4 and I never got good when I played 6 and 5 on PSP. Back when I played Tekken I was about as good as the average Joe on for glory. Never learned all the moves and whatnot.

But yeah that could work.

?????????
No Problem. And don't worry, I don't have the best track record in online Tekken matches either.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Excuse me, I am noticing a distinct lack of Twilight Princesses on this list. Please revise.

Lol, if I can’t get Midna, I’ll go for Gardevoir.

Oh man, I love SoulCalibur because of SCII. Ivy would be an inordinate amount of fun with that whip sword, but the Siegfried/Nightmare combo would be great.

Hope the new one isn’t a catastrophe like the last two main series games. Or the spinoffs. Ugh, SC’s been in the toilet for ages now...
Unlike Meowth (who I genuinely forgot), I actually considered Midna. The reason why I ended up not using her is because I couldn't think of a good example moveset for her (I mean, I could have pulled one up eventually, but I was already writing nine others and the list already took an hour to make).

Please Understand. And please forgive me for my inadequacy *bows like an honorable gentleman*, I shall now commit Sudoku for my horrible sins and Dishonour against the Cat and Imp. *grabs the Daily Newspaper and a Pen*

...Oh man, it's a tough one today.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Wasn't Heihachi considered for Smash 4 but removed because Sakurai had a difficult time making a moveset for him?

I don't see that changing unless Sakurai can make something suitable for him and is willing to add him to the roster... which he did for Ridley, so he shouldn't be completely out of the question. If he is to be included, he'd be a pretty rad DLC character.
I would agree but Ridley changed.

I mean......crazier things have happened. :lol:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wasn't Heihachi considered for Smash 4 but removed because Sakurai had a difficult time making a moveset for him?

There's also the fact that Heihachi is an bigger PlayStation icon than even Cloud, and Sony even put him in their own crossover fighting game. That gives him no chance of joining the roster.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Why would being in another crossover hurt his chance? Especially when we know Heihachi was considered by Sakurai, and that wasnt the reason he was dropped.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
There's also the fact that Heihachi is an bigger PlayStation icon than even Cloud, and Sony even put him in their own crossover fighting game. That gives him no chance of joining the roster.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You don't have any reason to assume that,.

We have no reason to think being in All-Star excludes any character.....you're just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That crossover didn't even have Crash, who was one of the biggest things about PlayStation in the 90s.

I'd say using it as a genuine argument isn't really the best thing to do.

D

Deleted member

Steenee will evolve in the anime.

Welcome Tsareena, Steenee disconfirmed :yeahboi:
The fact that Steenee was even leaked was baffling.
Like Tsareena already has a low chance and Tsareena has a much higher chance than Steenee.

What are you talking about, Morrigan is the most attractive out of all of your picks.

KMDP

Smash Legend
But do you know who is just as big a Namco Bandai character, and isn't bound to the Playstation?

Agu- Nightmare. Nightmare is who I meant.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why would being in another crossover hurt his chance? Especially when we know Heihachi was considered by Sakurai, and that wasnt the reason he was dropped.
Because that crossover was for Nintendo's biggest competition, and Sakurai may end up advertising the PlayStation by putting him in.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
There's also the matter that Square might not have wanted Cloud in Playstation All-Stars.
Come to think of it, Crash and Snake weren't in that game and they're huge Playstation icons.
If Heihachi were owned by Sony, I'd see where you're coming from, but Heihachi is 100% owned by Namco. It's fair game to include them and I don't see how his appearance in a one off Playstation crossover will harm his chances.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
By this logic, him being in Project X Zone 2 with Lucina and Ryu makes him a shoo-in for Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There's also the matter that Square might not have wanted Cloud in Playstation All-Stars.
Come to think of it, Crash and Snake weren't in that game and they're huge Playstation icons.
If Heihachi were owned by Sony, I'd see where you're coming from, but Heihachi is 100% owned by Namco. It's fair game to include them and I don't see how his appearance in a one off Playstation crossover will harm his chances.
I think the thing is that Namco seems to want Heihachi is frickin' everything. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom