• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can we not? there are a million of them and there are miles and miles of better and more popular choices than FE Fighter #7. I think people were vocal enough after Corrin that we'd like a n y t h i n g else besides even more Fire Emblem.
Guess what...no to you and yes to more FE character

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I agree. We have way too many FE characters...

but that's not stopping me from pushing Lyn non-stop. 15 years and counting bay-beeeeeeeeeee.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
It's almost as if Fire Emblem has a different cast of characters each game, and some characters don't resonate with fans as much as others.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's almost as if Fire Emblem has a different cast of characters each game, and some characters don't resonate with fans as much as others.
Nah it's just Marth clones, blue hair, and Corrin.

EDIT: And Counter. Can't forget Counter. I don't know how many Robin fans sighed in relief when he got Nosferatu instead so he would be spared.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Have you played a Fire Emblem game? :roll:Legitimately curious, a lot of people I've talked to got dissuaded from the series because of Smash having too much of them and hopping on the bandwagons. I personally think Corrin was a shoddy attempt at replicating Roy's promotional appeal.
Yeah, I played FE7 and FE Awakening. The series is not for me since the only characters I found myself liking were Robin and Tiki, I couldn't stand Chrom one bit, he was just so boring as a character. The majority of the party members from FE7 were super forgettable too, I remember when I finished Lyn's section of the game and a character named Will appeared and was all "thanks for the adventure" and I honest to goodness had no idea who he even was. I much prefer Disgaea.

I just don't get how people would want even more FE, I'd much rather get another Animal Crossing character, another Splatoon character (Octolings!), another DK character, another Sonic, Xenoblade, Kirby character, or heck! A character from a franchise that has yet to be represented in Smash like Drill Dozer, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi Robo, or some crazy 3rd parties like Monster Hunter.

Anything, ANYTHING than a 7th FE fighter.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made a V2 of the Super Bash Sisters list.

Mario/Yoshi/DK/Wario Series
Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Yoshi, Toadette​
Dixie Kong, Tiny Kong, Candy Kong, Pauline, Captain Syrup, Ashley, Mona​
Zelda Series
Linkle, Zelda, Sheik, Impa, Lana, Cia, Ruto, Urbosa, Mipha​
Metroid/Star Fox
Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Krystal​
Kid Icarus
Palutena, Medusa, Viridi, Amazon Pandora, Phosphora​
Pokémon
Pikachu (F), Leaf, Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, Jynx, Delphox​
Fire Emblem
Lucina, Robin (F), Corrin (F), Lyn, Celica, Micaiah, Azura, Camilla, Charlotte​
Others
Wii Fit Trainer (F), Isabelle (Villager), Brittany (Olimar), Inkling (F), Lip, Sami, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle​
Sonic the Hedgehog
Amy Rose, Rouge the Bat, Cream the Rabbit, Blaze the Cat​
Bayonetta
Bayonetta, Jeanne​
Final Fantasy
Terra Branford, Tifa Lockhart, Yuna, Rikku, Lulu, Lightning​
Street Fighter
Chun Li, Cammy, R. Mika, Laura Matsuda​
Dead or Alive
Kasumi, Ayane, Helena Douglas, Tina Armstrong, Hitomi, Honoka​
Soul Calibur
Sophitia Alexandra, Isabella "Ivy" Valentine, Taki​
Senran Kagura
Asuka, Homura​
Other Third Parties
Meryl Silverburgh (Snake), Roll (Mega Man), Lara Croft, Mai Shiranai, Shantae, Coco Bandicoot, 2B, Gruntilda, Amaterasu​

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Have you played a Fire Emblem game? :roll:Legitimately curious, a lot of people I've talked to got dissuaded from the series because of Smash having too much of them and hopping on the bandwagons. I personally think Corrin was a shoddy attempt at replicating Roy's promotional appeal.
Personally, I don't play FE, nor do I really have much of an interest in playing it, but I regardless don't mind the representation in Smash. They have nice designs, movesets, and stages and that's what matters as far as Smash is concerned IMO.

Really, though, while I do like to see more "varied" characters... I also just like there being more characters in Smash.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Can we not? there are a million of them and there are miles and miles of better and more popular choices than FE Fighter #7. I think people were vocal enough after Corrin that we'd like a n y t h i n g else besides even more Fire Emblem.
I'm probably late on the whole Fire Emblem/Funky discussion now, but the development team has a history with adding in recent characters, particularly in Melee and Wii U, so I'm starting to think Octoling and Funky Kong echoes are possible again along with maybe a new FE/Pokemon character

but honestly, we could do without the latter this time around. I'm expecting Pokemon though just because it's Pokemon.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Yeah seriously lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder what Japan thinked of Corrin's inclusion? :dizzy: If they got angry like the West did then hoo boy I can expect the roster size of the franchise to get sliced in half in Smash 6, whenever that might be in the future.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just don't get how people would want even more FE, I'd much rather get another Animal Crossing character, another Splatoon character (Octolings!), another DK character, another Sonic, Xenoblade, Kirby character, or heck! A character from a franchise that has yet to be represented in Smash like Drill Dozer, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi Robo, or some crazy 3rd parties like Monster Hunter.

I mean, for me anyway and on a purely personal level, I'm just not too interested at all in pretty much any of those suggestions. Meanwhile Fire Emblem, alongside Pokémon and Mario, is one of the few franchises that has multiple characters I'd be excited to see in Smash. If I hypothetically got Chrom and/or Celica it'd do a whole lot more for me than another Sonic, Splatoon, or Xenoblade character, and especially more than something like Drill Dozer or Monster Hunter.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I mean, for me anyway and on a purely personal level, I'm just not too interested at all in pretty much any of those suggestions. Meanwhile Fire Emblem, alongside Pokémon and Mario, is one of the few franchises that has multiple characters I'd be excited to see in Smash. If I hypothetically got Chrom and/or Celica it'd do a whole lot more for me than another Sonic, Splatoon, or Xenoblade character, and especially more than something like Drill Dozer or Monster Hunter.
I think the thing that makes me okay with Fire Emblem getting all these characters is, Fire Emblem has a lot of ground to cover and there was returning every character as a priority. I do feel if a newcomer is done well, or a done well echo fighter, it'd get me more hyped than quite a few other choices.

Unrelated, but Corrin's character trailer video is awesome.

Opossum Opossum Speaking of, I was wondering, do you know what song is used here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqvKaCne4k

Also the remix of Lost in Thoughts All Alone from Corrin's character trailer... that remix on it's own gets me way more hyped than the initial Corrin reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B4w2Tsy9PE
it's so good

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If anything, I want more Assist Trophy and Stage representation for Fire Emblem than I do another character. More Assist Trophies in particular would be welcome since we could get some more non-protagonist representation like Caeda, Tiki, Anna, Tharja, Azura, Black Knight, or Carmilla.

A Chrom Echo would be fine by me and wouldn't kill anybody no matter how hard they whined, but even there I think Impa and Octoling would be more interesting and deserving choices. Especially since Chrom is lucky enough to participate in some capacity which is more than you can say for Impa.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just realised I've spent almost two hours on that Super Bash Sisters thing...

I... what...? Where'd the time go?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Destiny (Ablaze). It goes into the main melody toward the end.
I hope this means we see it in Smash next time, along with the Lost In Thoughts All Alone remix
If anything, I want more Assist Trophy and Stage representation for Fire Emblem than I do another character. More Assist Trophies in particular would be welcome since we could get some more non-protagonist representation like Caeda, Tiki, Anna, Tharja, Azura, Black Knight, or Carmilla.

A Chrom Echo would be fine by me and wouldn't kill anybody no matter how hard they whined, but even there I think Impa and Octoling would be more interesting and deserving choices. Especially since Chrom is lucky enough to participate in some capacity which is more than you can say for Impa.
I'm game for this. Heck, hasn't Lyn been the only assist trophy across all three games so far?

Also, we only have 3 stages, which that still shocks me. That's less stages than Mother!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Linkle could be a very interesting Zelda character(and fyi, yes, she is definitely part of the Zelda franchise. Hyrule Warriors is indefinitely a Zelda game. It's just a spin-off Zelda game. Dynasty Warriors is actually a different unrelated franchise. Hyrule Warriors is just an adaption of the gameplay style, but otherwise is does not become a Dynasty Warriors franchise game. That's like calling Final Fantasy Legend an actual Final Fantasy game when it's just part of the Mana series and was given simply a dub title to help sell it. Doesn't mean it's accurate to its franchise either). I honestly would love dual crossbows.

Mind you, Tingle is absolutely my favorite potential Zelda addition. But HW's original Zelda-series characters are still pretty cool too. First time we see a more viable Wizzrobe of any sort that isn't just "hey, cast magic and teleport around". Even the various Wizzrobes in things like Zelda Classic aren't any better. Flamerobes, Icerobes, Windrobes, Mirrorrobes, etc. are all one-note. Which is fine in a regular Zelda game. But Hyrule Warriors evolved a lot of characters' potential(including Impa, though I would prefer her Oracle design for multiple reasons; heavyset female, a nice cross between young and old designs, potential for any moves due to having a ton of muscle).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Literally my most wanted song for Smash 4. I was disappointed it didn't make it in 4, but I'm happy to finally hear it in Smash Ultimate.
Now I just need Divine Decree (Ablaze) and my favorite Awakening songs are covered. :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Can someone please explain the appeal for Impa? I've been scratching my head and asking that question for as long as I can remember thinking "wow people really like impa".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can someone please explain the appeal for Impa? I've been scratching my head and asking that question for as long as I can remember thinking "wow people really like impa".
From someone who's neutral on Impa, a lot of it comes down to her being a fairly important character to the Zelda mythos, being one of the single most recurring characters due to the Sheikah being the sworn protectors of the royal family.
Opossum Opossum is the lost in thoughts all alone remix new
Yep!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I honestly just want Fire Emblem stages that aren't so damn generic.
That's a little difficult when 98% of your Fire Emblem stages are Generic Plain#72 and Castle#49. There are some notable regions and names spread throughout each title but I would never be able to recite any of their names.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
From someone who's neutral on Impa, a lot of it comes down to her being a fairly important character to the Zelda mythos, being one of the single most recurring characters due to the Sheikah being the sworn protectors of the royal family.
Basically, this. I feel like if Sheik was never a part of Zelda in Melee, we probably would have gotten Impa by now-- whether it had been in Melee, Brawl or 4, I'm not sure.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m pretty sure Sakurai thought of Corrin as our FE newcomer for Ultimate in the base roster. He’s pretty much the character bridge between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

The only FE newcomer I’m excited/expecting to see is the FE Three Houses Lord (Edelgard?) as DLC. Based on my knowledge he can use multiple weapons, so a fighter switching out with multiple weapons would be a unique and good concept.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Based on what I've seen on this thread: Part of it for some is that they just really want to see a new Zelda rep, which we haven't had since Brawl, and Impa is one of the few significant recurring characters other than Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf).
Another part is seeing the cool stuff she does in Hyrule Warriors and also her being able to explore some cool Sheikah techniques that Sheik doesn't use.
(I'm kinda neutral on her, personally, but I can see the potential.)

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Well I mean that's great for you but on a generalist level, taking into account all the kids, casuals and everyone in between when it comes to the Smash Bros fanbase, Fire Emblem appeals to only a small niche in a much larger pie. More people from all levels of fandom would get more excited over someone like Midna, Decidueye, Dixie Kong or Shadow than someone like Ceclia.
Even with the nearly two decades of Fire Emblem using Smash as a promotion vehicle, FE has yet to break out of it's status as a niche franchise. FE was selling so poorly in the late 2000's that it was going to get canceled if Awakening didn't sell, but then FE:A acts like a shot in the arm to the franchise and suddenly it's popular! But even it's best selling title, FE Fates caps out at around 2M sales on the 3DS, while Splatoon sold nearly 6M on the Wii U, a console with waaayy fewer owners than the 3DS.

I think that's what really gets me about the amount of FE in Smash, FE isn't as popular as AC, or Kirby or Metroid or Star Fox, yet has way more characters than any of them and people are somehow asking for more. It baffles me. If a character should get in Smash just because their game recently came out then I want Marina, Agent 4, DJ Octavio annnnnd Judd as fighters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well,
1. The entire FE protagonist gallery have unique fighting styles, personalities, designs, etc which means a fan of one protagonist might not be a fan of another. It's the quality of the FE characters that gets in, not the quantity that matters for most people.
2. People are fans of different things and a fan of a turn-based strategy RPG might not be a fan of a slice-of-life town management simulator and vice versa or even be aware of some other titles.

Plus I think handsome men/women wielding cool looking weaponry will always appeal to some people and is especially easy to manifest in a fighting game whereas non-combatants require some outside the box-thinking.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only FE newcomer I’m excited/expecting to see is the FE Three Houses Lord (Edelgard?) as DLC. Based on my knowledge he can use multiple weapons, so a fighter switching out with multiple weapons would be a unique and good concept.
I would be okay with that
but Edelgard is a chick
Untitled.png

And also people would whine anyway because if it's FE and it has a counter then people disregard its existence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a little difficult when 98% of your Fire Emblem stages are Generic Plain#72 and Castle#49. There are some notable regions and names spread throughout each title but I would never be able to recite any of their names.
I mean SoV alone has Ram Village, Fear Mountain, Nuibaba's Abode, the Sluice Gate, Zofia Castle, and Rigel Castle on Alm's side, and Novis Seaway, Grieth's Citadel, the Temple of Mila, the Swamps of Duma, and Duma Tower on Celica's side, with the Altar of Duma on both. And that's just from one game.

Khadein, the Macedonian Aerie, Nifl, Grima, and the Tower of Valni could also be really neat IMO.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean SoV alone has Ram Village, Fear Mountain, Nuibaba's Abode, the Sluice Gate, Zofia Castle, and Rigel Castle on Alm's side, and Novis Seaway, Grieth's Citadel, the Temple of Mila, the Swamps of Duma, and Duma Tower on Celica's side, with the Altar of Duma on both. And that's just from one game.

Khadein, the Macedonian Aerie, Nifl, Grima, and the Tower of Valni could also be really neat IMO.
Sorry but I'm always gonna call it Gaiden, I played the NES version before the remake got announced and I'm too used to it. :skull: I remember Fear Mountain, but only because it had a weird name.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I’m pretty sure Sakurai thought of Corrin as our FE newcomer for Ultimate in the base roster. He’s pretty much the character bridge between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure most lords can use multiple weapons. It's just all of them have a particularly preferred weapon they use as their default like Hector and his three types of Armads.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I honestly just want Fire Emblem stages that aren't so damn generic.
same. that applies to a lot of other series. like, do star fox stages have to be on a ship?

Well I mean that's great for you but on a generalist level, taking into account all the kids, casuals and everyone in between when it comes to the Smash Bros fanbase, Fire Emblem appeals to only a small niche in a much larger pie. More people from all levels of fandom would get more excited over someone like Midna, Decidueye, Dixie Kong or Shadow than someone like Ceclia.
Even with the nearly two decades of Fire Emblem using Smash as a promotion vehicle, FE has yet to break out of it's status as a niche franchise. FE was selling so poorly in the late 2000's that it was going to get canceled if Awakening didn't sell, but then FE:A acts like a shot in the arm to the franchise and suddenly it's popular! But even it's best selling title, FE Fates caps out at around 2M sales on the 3DS, while Splatoon sold nearly 6M on the Wii U, a console with waaayy fewer owners than the 3DS.

I think that's what really gets me about the amount of FE in Smash, FE isn't as popular as AC, or Kirby or Metroid or Star Fox, yet has way more characters than any of them and people are somehow asking for more. It baffles me. If a character should get in Smash just because their game recently came out then I want Marina, Agent 4, DJ Octavio annnnnd Judd as fighters.
okay so you mentioned Kirby and my immediate response is "we should get Daroach, Magolor, and Marx"

I mean I'm not wrong. Fire Emblem has 6, and it'd represent all the Kirby games well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom