• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

The only ones I'm interested in right now is Wolf & Ridley.
I know it wont happen, but I want the new poses of SSBU to be released as amiibo. The only reason I never got the Smash Luigi figure for instance, is because I hate that pose. A new SSBU Luigi would be ideal.

Pakky

Smash Hero
got me thinking.

If it got in over everyone else I think we're in for someone who's a duo gen Pokemon.

It would be weird if a footnote of gen 7 got in, but it wouldn't be if it was going to be a bigger deal in gen 8.

I mean, its something to think about.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
To speak about something else, are they any pokemon from previous game you hope come back as pokeball?

For me, my number one choice would be Manaphy, you can't imagine how dissapointed I was when she was deconfirm when Smash 4 came out, and even though Kalos League have already been confirm, I hope they just say "**** logic" and bring her back with the heart swap mechanic.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wonder if they're going to go through the effort of making amiibos for alternate costumes like Tunic Link or RD Ike.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I'd give Funky's popularity more on the Mario Kart Wii days. He was broken and the best character in a game that sold millions worldwide.

His roles in the DKC games prior to that were pretty limited, although he stuck out over others like Candy Kong due to his surfer personality. He has appeared in Mario sports game for a reason - he has a slick and appealing design and a fun character.
Plus he doubles as a genuine mascot with attitude from the 90s (which DK himself theoretically is, but is actually portrayed as a doofus).

For the record, I wholeheartedly support just about any viable Kong that can make it in as a DK rep.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

Captain of Dedede's guard

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero
Bandana Dee : The Bandana Deestroyer
Amaterasu : Sunny Ammy
Decidueye: Always hits the bullseye
Paper Mario: He'll Flatten You Up
Isabelle: The Most Adorable Bruiser Ever
Daisy; The Princess of Sarasaland
Jeanne: The Lady in Red
Dixie Kong: Everyone Envies Her Private Helicopter
Urbosa: Prepare To Get Zapped

EDT: I forgot Rabbid Peach: "Selfie" Is Her Middle Name

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
All the leak talks are driving me crazy a bit. And this is what we all get for being too excited for a game that's coming out in five months

D

Deleted member

Is not, it has never been, let me explain myself better.
Just because I call it a meme character doesn't means I think nobody wants him.
Look at Waluigi, he is a meme character, yet people love him, want him, and got mad when he was not in Smash.
When I say he is a meme character, is because his popularity exploded thanks to a meme, just like Waluigi got much more popular after memes like "too bad, waluigi time".
Yet, I don't call it a meme character in a negative way, but I use it to disconfirm it as a character in a leak from smash because in 2015 his popularity was not like is today, and the only reason that person put him in that leak is because of the recent popularity and the echoes.
The thing is, because of the Echoes, even if the Smash popularity wouldn't have been as big in 2015 as it is now, it would be rather easy to include Funky later in development, don't you think? He would barely take any time. Meaning if Sakurai had any idea that Funky was going to be promoted heavily for the Switch release of Tropical Freeze, it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe he could quickly include Funky as an easy Echo of Donkey Kong.

And it's not like Funky didn't have overall popularity outside the Smash fanbase prior to Tropical Freeze's Switch port, or even any lack of presence. He was in the original Wii U release of Tropical Freeze, after all. Just as an NPC.
He's apparently always been rather popular within Japan for his surfer motif, and there's the fact that Mario Kart Wii, the third-highest selling Nintendo game and seventh-highest selling video game in general, made him notorious of an individual for better or for worse.
So Sakurai may not even have needed the Switch port to decide to make Funky an Echo like Daisy.

And hell, after Returns was released, Nintendo Power held a poll on which Kong people wanted to see return the most. It wasn't Dixie who won. It was Funky.
This was LONG before the whole "Funky New Mode" meme existed.

So no. Funky is as much a "meme character" as Knuckles or Dante. Already popular beforehand, but the memes only helped cement their popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero
This reminds me Micaiah actually has several monikers in her game... (Silver-Haired Maiden/The Divine Silver Maiden, Maiden of Miracles, Priestess/Maiden of Dawn, Goddess of Victory)

I wonder which would work better xD

Micaiah (Very Small).png

KMDP

Smash Legend
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4.
Don't be puns are the best. I was tempted to call Micaiah: The Radiant Dawn
Waluigi: Totally Not Cheating
Ashley: The Great Ashley
Black Knight: The Ebon Earl (alliteration ftw)
Isaac: The Golden Son
Tails: Sonic's Pal
Tails (UK SSBU only): Pixel Brain
Knuckles: Master Emerald Guardian
Knuckles (Alternative): Smash Bros. & Knuckles
Knuckles (Alternative): Knows the Way
Eggman: Self-styled Feminist
Eggman (Alternative): 300 IQ Tyrant
Tifa: The Seventh Heaven
Sephiroth: Chosen by the Planet
Zack: SOLDIER 1st Class for real this time
Zack (Alternative): SOLDIER's Champion Squatter
Raiden (MGS): Jack the Ripper
Nightmare : The Azure Knight
Agumon: The Courageous Dinosaur

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I know it wont happen, but I want the new poses of SSBU to be released as amiibo. The only reason I never got the Smash Luigi figure for instance, is because I hate that pose. A new SSBU Luigi would be ideal.
You are acting like his Smash Ultimate pose isn't weird.

super_smash_bros__ultimate___luigi___render_by_cynicsonic-dcelm2f.png

Extra thicc.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To speak about something else, are they any pokemon from previous game you hope come back as pokeball?

For me, my number one choice would be Manaphy, you can't imagine how dissapointed I was when she was deconfirm when Smash 4 came out, and even though Kalos League have already been confirm, I hope they just say "**** logic" and bring her back with the heart swap mechanic.
Hopefully they will increase the likelyhood of it showing up if it returns. I would almost swear that I only saw Manaphy once, maybe twice throughout the entirety of Brawl's lifespan...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hopefully they will increase the likelyhood of it showing up if it returns. I would almost swear that I only saw Manaphy once, maybe twice throughout the entirety of Brawl's lifespan...
I don't know, on one hand, you are right that it was too rare to be seen, and that some peoples might have never seen Manaphy in action due to this.

On the other hand, the magic of getting Manaphy and suddenly body swapping out of nowhere would be somewhat lost if it it was too frequent.

So, I hope they find a right balance, especially with Master Ball coming back.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Unown were a super fun summon that I dearly missed. Ho-oh's another one, Entei just doesn't have the same feeling of overwhelming fiery death like Ho-oh did.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman

I want Gulpin, Bonsly and Munchlax back. I don't get why so many Pokémon added in Brawl didn't come back for Smash 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Punch-Out Title time

Mona: Funny Fashionista
Captain Syrup: Ruler of Kitchen Island
Funky Kong: The Radical Wave Rider
Cranky Kong: The Original King of the Jungle
Doc Louie: Star Punch Pioneer
Crash: The N. Sane Orange Tornado
Spyro: Toaster With An Attitude

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Honestly, and this isn't related to anything current, if a leak says anything about DLC it's absolutely fake.

There's just no way they've starting planning and finalized the roster picks for DLC nearly half a year before the game launches. There's just no way of anyone, insider or not, having knowledge on it half a year before these hypothetical picks would even be starting development.

I imagine not even every character from the planning stages for the base game has been finished yet.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think Luigi's pose in Brawl was the best. Brawl had lot of great, yet simple character poses.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
got me thinking.

If it got in over everyone else I think we're in for someone who's a duo gen Pokemon.

It would be weird if a footnote of gen 7 got in, but it wouldn't be if it was going to be a bigger deal in gen 8.

I mean, its something to think about.
I mean we don't know if it's attached to 8 at all. It's just a mythic and those usually are released late in the gen anyway.

Eh I'm still on the side of when the roster was decided gen 7 wasn't even released yet so that would obviously have been the newest and most intresting gen to look for Pokemon, no reason for Sakurai to look 3 years into the future for even newer Pokemon.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mona: Funny Fashionista
Captain Syrup: Ruler of Kitchen Island
Funky Kong: The Radical Wave Rider
Cranky Kong: The Original King of the Jungle
Doc Louie: Pioneer of the Star Punch
Crash: The N. Sane Orange Tornado
Spyro: Toaster With An Attitude
I'd change Doc Louie's to "Star Punch Pioneer", personally. It's 'punchier'.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If the next update is a character. I predict it will be a Melee newcomer from a series that doesn't that have a character on the blog yet since that's only kind of pattern I'm seeing for the character order on the blog.

So I'm predicting it'll be Mr Game & Watch, Falco, Mewtwo, or Pichu.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, is it any different from the baby Pokemon Pichu?
You're at least used to see Pichu and other baby Pokémon getting hurt by taking attacks in the Pokémon games.

You can't say the same for Isabelle.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Punch-Out Title time

Waluigi: The Wah-rrior In purple
Geno: Legend Of The Seven Stars
Mouser: Armed Rodent
Kamek: The Koopa Wizard
Ashley: Witch In Training
Jimmy T: Groovy Moves
King K Rool: Kremling Kommander
Lanky Kong: Funny Faced Balloonist
Kraid: Growling Goliath
BanDee: Gaurdeean Of DreamLand
Marx: Brutal Backstabber
Adeleine: Art to Life
Galacta Knight: Lance Of Death
Krookodile: Death From Below
Incineroar: Heroic Heel
Louie: King Of Bugs
Porky: Tyrant Tyke
Kumatora: Bear Tiger
K K Slider: Cool Canine

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Punch-Out Title time

Irate Imposter

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Bouncer

Star Born hero

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero
Punch Out titles for my most wanted characters.

Issac: Weyyard’s Venus Adept

Isa Jo: Successor of the Earth

Ayumi: Duo Crime Solving Detectives
(Assuming the Nameless protagonist is also in her moveset)

Takamaru: Alien Fighting Samurai

Midday and Midnight Lycanroc: Dual Earth Bending Wolves

Dusk Lycanroc: Earth Bending Wolf

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
If Smash DLC will be going for as long as I think, I don't think 10 more new characters is out of the question.

Im thinking that could happen too, we got what 7 last time? I could see them topping it... and there'd be no "veterans" so it'd be all newcomers.

last time they had mewtwo known right off the bat too so im curious if this game will launch with a "by the way DLC is coming". the smash hype train never slows down.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If Smash DLC will be going for as long as I think, I don't think 10 more new characters is out of the question.
I can even see up to 12 newcomers (although that would give us up to an 80 character roster). Rex and Pyra and Spring Man are basically given newcomers at this point as DLC.

But what the do you think the DLC newcomers are going to be for this game?

If we get mostly fan favorites for the base then DLC will mostly consist of promotional characters for upcoming switch games and new IPs.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Punch-Put names, eh?

Hilda: Lorule Princess
Yarn Yoshi: Cottony soft bruiser
Roll: Maid to Smash
Gardevoir: Fairy Guardian

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People were calling Funky Kong a meme?

Meme: "an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations."
Given this definition, anyone who is using it towards Smash support other than for the likes of Goku and Shrek have no idea what it actually means, since you can only call support for a specific character a meme if it is done insincerely. Waluigi's support isn't a meme and neither is Funky Kong given their support for Smash is genuine (if it weren't for Waluigi, there wouldn't have been so many people disappointed that he is an Assist Trophy for Ultimate).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom