• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil
Apparently a few of the veterans have been confirmed:
:ultridley: - Cunning God of Death
:ultpokemontrainer: - Wants to be the Very Best
:ulticeclimbers: - Bone-Chilling Duo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think you missed what I was saying. No reason for the eyeroll emote.
I know what you were saying, emotes are just my gimmick. ;) I would be fine if it took longer to develop the games, quality and quantity can be achieved in Smash.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think the only problem with growing the number of fighters in the roster is how small their portraits will be over time. :chuckle: You can barely select them unless they give you another page like Smash 3DS.
i'm thinking they will add that "button" considering the switch is a semi-portable (half the time portable? i dunno) console.

also kind of why im guessing the CSS might actually look clean on the base roster this time... well partly cause the switch will probly need a DLC button anyway so that "messing up" a clean roster wont happen AND the fact all the fighters are numbered and everyones back... just feels like it will for once be a clean CSS.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
There was this leak about him.

Hardly constitutes a leak though, and would be disappointing if true.

Personally I'm pulling for this leak, which would be amazing if true.

Totally not a closet Saki fan. Nope. Definitely not.
I'd want Saki too, if only for that amazing Gunsword. Gunswords are amazing:)

Here's an example on why I'm not okay with Isabelle being in Smash.
Hey! We have censorship for a reason you can't just show such vile, gore, and depravity like that like it's no big deal how could you? XD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
in 2015/2016 was more popular than Dixie?
Personally I just don't like when people try to delegitimize a character by calling their support "a meme."

It's just a lazy and kinda dickish way to just sweep aside a character you don't like, IMO.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Personally I just don't like when people try to delegitimize a character by calling their support "a meme."

It's just a lazy and kinda dickish way to just sweep aside a character you don't like, IMO.
Because I am pretty sure the majority of support started with the recent "New Funky Mode" of Tropical freeze.
Not saying that there was not support before, but mostly of the recent support is for that, usually when people were making "dream rosters" in brawl and smash 4 times, they didn't put Funky Kong, they put Dixie, K. Rool, or any other DK character.

D

Deleted member

in 2015/2016 was more popular than Dixie?
There's really no way to correctly answer whether he had "more" popularity than Dixie back then or not.
Instead, the only viable answer is that his "new" popularity is not nearly as "new" as you assume it is.

The only reason it seems like a "meme" is because the Ensemble Darkhorse character of the series has actual spotlight for once.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Because I am pretty sure the majority of support started with the recent "New Funky Mode" of Tropical freeze.
Not saying that there was not support before, but mostly of the recent support is for that, usually when people were making "dream rosters" in brawl and smash 4 times, they didn't put Funky Kong, they put Dixie, K. Rool, or any other DK character.
Pretty much this. Funky became a popular pick because of the Tropical Freeze port and the "Funky Mode" meme. There are certainly people who liked him before this, but it'd be a hard road convincing people he didn't gain popularity because of his meme.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Funky mode and echo fighters have made Funky Kong gain support but its true its fairly recent and before either of those things most were guessing the usual k. rool/dixie kong and the occasionally cranky kong which i see less support for now that funky kong was a big part of the switch port and the fact he COULD be an echo (though i do not think he will be).

Honestly its these sort of characters that COULD happen but its sort of just a perfect storm of timing that i wouldn't suggest putting much faith in happening. Its very similar with how whenever a game (undertale/crash/dark souls etc...) gets on a nintendo console, suddenly everyone jumps to say that character must be in smash! its just timing dont let it cloud your judgement too much, this stuff is PLAUSIBLE but not much more likely than before whatever event happened that highlighted this character that has coincided with smash speculation season.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So... Smash 64 had 12 characters.
Melee had 26 characters.
Brawl had 39 characters.
After DLC, Wii U/3DS had 58 characters.
My guess for the final roster at number at launch will be...

65 veterans and 10 newcomers. Don't know why, but that sounds "right" to me.
Is that post DLC or pre DLC?

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
In general, any character that is recently in a new game will always have that recently bias that's how it always is during newcomers speculation

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Honestly I'd give Funky's popularity more on the Mario Kart Wii days. He was broken and the best character in a game that sold millions worldwide.

His roles in the DKC games prior to that were pretty limited, although he stuck out over others like Candy Kong due to his surfer personality. He has appeared in Mario sports game for a reason - he has a slick and appealing design and a fun character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

By your logic, Cranky is just a "meme" too. He didn't get support until the Wii U version of Tropical Freeze.

What you need to understand is that the reason characters like Funky and Cranky get support after a new release is because said new release gives fans more reason to actually support them.
Hell, Dixie herself fell off the wayside in "support" until Tropical Freeze, where then she started being reasonable "competition" for K. Rool support.
So by your own logic, Dixie is a "meme".

And K. Rool only started getting actual support literally right after Diddy was announced for Brawl and especially after Dedede was.
So I guess he was a "meme" then, too.

So what's really the difference between what counts as a "meme" and what counts as legitimate? Just how long the "meme" has lasted?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Apparently a few of the veterans have been confirmed:
:ultridley: - Cunning God of Death
:ultpokemontrainer: - Wants to be the Very Best
:ulticeclimbers: - Bone-Chilling Duo
I know I copied and pasted them after looking that up on the wikia.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m literally putting so much stock into Ashley, if she gets confirmed again as an Assist Trophy I will literally film a video of me eating a shoe. I don’t care what anyone thinks about my faith in her, it’s honestly her time to shine more than anyone else, her not appearing as an Assist yet is a very good sign for her and I do hold true to this. I think she honestly has the best chance now out of anyone.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I’m literally putting so much stock into Ashley, if she gets confirmed again as an Assist Trophy I will literally film a video of me eating a shoe. I don’t care what anyone thinks about my faith in her, it’s honestly her time to shine more than anyone else, her not appearing as an Assist yet is a very good sign for her and I do hold true to this. I think she honestly has the best chance now.
I'm kinda with you, though is she an RT character as well as a WW character?

Jeez I hope I don't have to eat all these clothes :sadeyes::urg:

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I’m literally putting so much stock into Ashley, if she gets confirmed again as an Assist Trophy I will literally film a video of me eating a shoe. I don’t care what anyone thinks about my faith in her, it’s honestly her time to shine more than anyone else, her not appearing as an Assist yet is a very good sign for her and I do hold true to this. I think she honestly has the best chance now.
i'd say shes one of the top 10 most likely newcomers so she has a pretty good shot right now, in my opinion anyway.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm kinda with you, though is she an RT cahracter as well as a WW cahracter?
Nope just a WarioWare character. Though her popularity has transcended beyond the series, as a result she has had several appearances in other games.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I mean...I'm with you on heavily supporting her, but if she doesn't make it you better come through with that bet

Zeox

Smash Champion
By your logic, Cranky is just a "meme" too. He didn't get support until the Wii U version of Tropical Freeze.

What you need to understand is that the reason characters like Funky and Cranky get support after a new release is because said new release gives fans more reason to actually support them.
Hell, Dixie herself fell off the wayside in "support" until Tropical Freeze, where then she started being reasonable "competition" for K. Rool support.
So by your own logic, Dixie is a "meme".

And K. Rool only started getting actual support literally right after Diddy was announced for Brawl and especially after Dedede was.
So I guess he was a "meme" then, too.

So what's really the difference between what counts as a "meme" and what counts as legitimate? Just how long the "meme" has lasted?
Here:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Better get that jaw ready

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Where did rating clothes as a bet loss start from??? Like can we offer to eat other things, I don't want shoes or hats in my digestive tract.

D

Deleted member

Here:

....so you think because the "Funky New Mode" became a meme that the character himself is just a meme? That it's the ONLY reason people like the character?
I feel sorry for anyone who likes Knuckles or Dante, then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeox

Smash Champion
....so you think because the "Funky New Mode" became a meme that the character himself is just a meme? That it's the ONLY reason people like the character?
I feel sorry for anyone who likes Knuckles or Dante, then.
No, what I already said is that the majority of people that support the character IS because of the meme, because they probably in 2015 / 2016 didn't even think of him as a possible character.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
No, what I already said is that the majority of people that support the character IS because of the meme, because they probably in 2015 / 2016 didn't even think of him as a possible character.
Pretty much this. If the whole Funky meme didn't happen and he was still playable in the TF port I'm sure he'd still have SOME support, especially with the whole Echoes thing, but his popularity growth over the last year is certainly because of the Funky meme. He still was popular before because of his appearances in other titles and being in the older games, but the meme skyrocketed him. He was never considered before this.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Besides the previously discussed trailer "leak," I found a couple more. I decided to disregard the former leak that I brought up.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422669825/#422669825
Newcomers: K. Rool, Dark Matter, Excitebiker, and Geno
Clones: Giygas and Isabelle
Echoes: Louie, Funky Kong, Ninten, Dark Meta Knight
This second leak is a copy of two leaks we've seen in the past (The imgur leak and the one that came before it). Either multiple sources saying the same thing or more piggybacking.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422661941/#422661941
>July 9th
King K Rool: Japan Expo takes place in France (A place where the DKC cartoon was made in) and Smash Ultimate is going to be in the game
>August 1st
Isaac: Shares the same Japanese voice actor as Krystal.
>September 26th
Simon: Leaked by Vergeben and shares the same Japanese voice actor as Leif in FE Heroes.
>October 29th
Saki Amamiya: License for Sin and Punishment and a Smash Bros Logo were filed by Nintendo in the same day.
>November 17th
New Pokemon rep and Steve from Minecraft: stuff related to minecraft (stage = new fighter) was possibly leaked by Vergeben, A Pokemon rep will be coming too since the announcement date is the same as Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon's release date.
>December 5th
Elma: a report stated that Sakurai bought a mech to reference his latest project and shares the same Japanese voice actor as Tailtiu in FE Heroes.

Next, Here are the Echo Fighters that were teased but actually coming at launch of the game.

Chrom: Ike's chrom recolor was missing in the 1st demo version of smash bros ultimate.
Dark Samus: Samus' Dark Samus recolor was missing in the 1st demo version of smash bros ultimate.
Shadow: Knuckles replaced Shadow as a AT.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422640907/#422640907
The game's roster is finished and some people in the leak scene know the whole thing, inculding me. This info was not easy to obtain.

Massive spoilers incoming.

Newcomers

Inkling
Ridley
Decidueye
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man
Shovel Knight
Steve

Echo Fighters

Daisy
Funky Kong (His side B he hits his opponent into the ground with his surfboard, his Up B spins it around)

That's the final roster. Sakurai was not kidding when he said not to expect many new fighters.

Also there's a new mode called Smash Quest. The main purpose of this mode is for unlocking characters. It only has one stage but every fighter's stage is different.
Leak 2 is the one I like the idea of the most, but it's clearly fake. Golden Sun's original release date was August 1st in Japan, so clearly whoever did the leak just looked up the date and is trying to peddle the anniversary date.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's because he wasn't a possible character before.
Not only did Tropical Freeze give him a signature weapon and a moveset with it that is easily translatable to Smash, but the prospect of Echo Fighters lets him cut the otherwise long line of DK Raps before him.
It's like accusing Bandana Waddle Dee support after Kirby's Return to Dreamland to be bandwagoning.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

Captain of Dedede's guard

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero
Lady of the Plains

Krystal: Survivor of Cerinia

The Rising Sun

Half Genie Hero

Sora: The Keyblade Warrior

Rayman: Hero of the Glades

Elma: Full Metal Jaguar

A Thing or Three

Fi: The goddess blade

Micaiah: Silver-Haired Maiden

D

Deleted member

No, a majority of the people that support the character legitimately like the character.
How hard is that for you to grasp?
Did Funky getting promoted to a major playable role in the Switch port have a big part in people actually giving the idea of Funky being in Smash the time of day? Most likely. But that's literally only because people now believe he has a chance. Just like literally what happens with every character who gets a new major role in a recent release.
The support has very little to do with the actual meme. The fact you're attempting to use said meme to discredit legitimate support is absolutely disgusting.

And you have done nothing to discredit my earlier point.
No one really gave Cranky a chance until Tropical Freeze.
Very few people gave Dixie consideration in favor of K. Rool until Tropical Freeze.
No one gave K. Rool serious consideration until after both Diddy and Dedede were revealed for Brawl.
What the **** is different about Funky not being given consideration until the Switch port of Tropical Freeze? And no, the fact the "Funky New Mode" meme exists is completely irrelevant.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm of the opinion we will get about 6-8 more newcomers, and yet I really want about 12 characters or so to make it in (characters i think actually have a shot anyway), I'm satisfied with the roster and game as is, like if this was a smash 4 port and this was all that was added i'm sold, but still it's going to be tough likely seeing half the characters i'd like to show up get deconfirmed... i suppose some characters could be DLC though some characters feel like DLC material while others feel rather "make it or break it" with the base roster... and some its just waiting to see if they are an assist or not in which case if they are asissts I think they'll be stuck there regardless of DLC.

again im glad im happy with the game as is but speculating about characters gets me excited to see them playable and theres always inevitably some that wont make it.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
How hard is that for you to grasp?
Is not, it has never been, let me explain myself better.
Just because I call it a meme character doesn't means I think nobody wants him.
Look at Waluigi, he is a meme character, yet people love him, want him, and got mad when he was not in Smash.
When I say he is a meme character, is because his popularity exploded thanks to a meme, just like Waluigi got much more popular after memes like "too bad, waluigi time".
Yet, I don't call it a meme character in a negative way, but I use it to disconfirm it as a character in a leak from smash because in 2015 his popularity was not like is today, and the only reason that person put him in that leak is because of the recent popularity and the echoes.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
To be fair, I only support Funky because of the memes. I love memes. I'd be happy if he was in the game solely for that reason.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Am I late to this? Meh.

Mario: Captain Toad or Toad in general, the most iconic Mario character not yet added.
Yoshi: Kamek all the way.
Wario: Just gonna say Ashley because people want her since otherwise I don't know.
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong or K. Rool. It is a tie.
Zelda: Impa, of course.
Metroid: Wait there is others except Samus and Ridley? I will say Sylux just because, er he seems cool I guess??
Fire Emblem: Celica probably.
Kirby: Bandana Dee, is that even a question?
Star Fox: Krystal, she seems cool.
Pokémon: Lycanroc, I actually have really grown to love this guy so much.
F-Zero: Black Shadow because of the Batman memes. (At least I'm honest).
Earthbound: Ninten to complete the trio.
Pikmin: Just make Alph?
Kid Icarus: Medusa, the OG villain.
Animal Crossing: Isabelle, she is the face of the series after all.
Punch Out!: Errrr, King Hippo??
Xenoblade: Honestly I would kinda want Pyra/Mythra if we still had transformations but otherwise I will say Elma.
Splatoon: Octoling (Is that boring?)
Retro: Lip (Sorry Takamaru).
Other: Tap Trial Girl, the character which you can count supporters for on one hand. :p
SEGA: I have no idea.... Tails?
Capcom: Monster Hunter!
Namco: Heihachi seems kinda cool.
Square Enix: Slime would be cute.
Konami: Simon Belmont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom