• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I'll play the most wanted newcomer game as well :D
Mario: Paper Mario
Yoshi: No one comes to mind.
Wario: Ashley
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Zelda: Urbosa, because she is hands down the best champion.
Metroid: We just got Ridley, let's savour that.
Fire Emblem: No one as the series has more than enoughcharacters as it is.
Kirby: BANDANA WADDLE DEE
Star Fox: No one
Pokémon: CHANDELURE
F-Zero: No one I can see. I don't know much about it.
Earthbound: I'm not familiar with the series enough.
Pikmin: No one I can see since olimar is in and Alph is his palette swap.
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Punch Out!: No one I don't know this series much
Xenoblade: Elma
Splatoon: Octoling as an Echo
Retro: Mike Jones from Star Tropics
Other: Rabbid Peach
SEGA: Jeanne (Bayonetta is their only series I care about, and I do care about it a great deal)
Capcom: Amaterasu
Namco, Square Enix and Konami: No one. I'm not fan of too many third parties anyways.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
well now y'all making me feel selfish for wanting a Smash reboot so bad! But I will say I would expect a reboot roster to still be close to Brawl's roster size, because the characters are such a huge part of Smash it would be hard to sell a roster a third of the size of the last game. I think 35-40 range is a smart choice for a reboot roster, and I'm going to echo that Nintendo would have to bring a lot of new fighters post release to justify it.
I mean don’t feel selfish. But even a roster of 30ish characters...i’m not sure that makes for a proper reboot.

Again, the problem with rebooting Smash is that...well, it’s relied on similar gameplay mechanics throughout the entire history of the franchise. If a reboot is the exact same gameplay but a smaller roster than the previous game, as someone who has played this since being 5 years old, there’s no reason for me to buy it.

As others have said, there would have to be a very specific reason to change the roster in such a fashion, and it would have to draw fans away from what is arguably looking to be the best game in the series.

That said, I do believe Ultimate is being constructed to last for a looooong time. At least it seems that way to me. This could be our Smash for a decade, with content updates over time.

Depending on the circumstances, I probably wouldn’t drop Smash Ultimate for a game with fewer characters, especially if a lot of my favorites are cut.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
You guys super excited about the Snake amiibo, meanwhile I'm over here excited about Pichu and Ice Climbers. That IC's amiibo is about to be sick.
Yeah same. While I can't deny that I'm itchin' for the booty, I just want my Ice Climbers and Ivysaur amiibo!

That said, I wonder if they're going to make Pokemon Trainer, Ivysaur, and Squirtle all individual amiibo. It would be weird if they just did Pokemon Trainer, since Charizard already has a standalone.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Why everyone is speculating about Gengar? Is there some leak about him?
There was this leak about him.

Hardly constitutes a leak though, and would be disappointing if true.

Personally I'm pulling for this leak, which would be amazing if true.

Totally not a closet Saki fan. Nope. Definitely not.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
There's gonna be a point in time where Smash is not gonna be able to keep increasing the roster size unless Nintendo allows an increase in development time.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Btw, why all these leaks originate from the 4chan?
Its weird sometimes leaks that come from 4chan actually are true but 99% people just make them trying to trick people so if you get your kicks from that then ok.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Colonel, anything new about Falco?

???: Sorry Snake, but I'll be briefing you again about my fellow teammate!

Snake: What the- Oh great, it's you again... Sloppy Frog was it?

Slippy: Slippy Toad, to be exact, and I'm the furthest thing from sloppy. I'm Star Fox's expert mechanic!

Snake: Oh yeah, you did design the blasters and reflectors after all... Wait a minute, you promised me that you'd design a weapon for me the next time we met... Well?

Slippy: So... about that weapon... I haven't found too much time for it, Star Fox is constantly getting caught up in stopping intergalactic wars! Don't worry, I'll find some time, I promise I won't keep you waiting!

Snake: I guess even in space, war never changes...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

As an Isaac fan, so am I.

This one has two big advantages.

First, it has a source for the information: it’s coming from the website updates. This is clearly defined, and explains how the knowledge could be obtained, and why it is limited.

Second, it has a short turn around. Looking forward to July 9th is much better than looking forward to December 7th. So it’s worth holding on to just for that.

However, I believe this is a piggyback. The original version of this claimed to not know November, and someone else claimed the Pokémon and Minecraft stuff later.

D

Deleted member

Yeah that['s bull, why would Pokemon company promote Gengar?
They kind of already do.

No seriously, Gengar's been getting a lot of merch over the past few years. Despite not being a "new" Pokémon.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Minor nitpick, but may I ask you to start referring to the "leaks" you're archiving as "rumors" until they have some sort of validity?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

Captain of Dedede's guard

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Besides the previously discussed trailer "leak," I found a couple more. I decided to disregard the former leak that I brought up.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422669825/#422669825
Newcomers: K. Rool, Dark Matter, Excitebiker, and Geno
Clones: Giygas and Isabelle
Echoes: Louie, Funky Kong, Ninten, Dark Meta Knight
This second leak is a copy of two leaks we've seen in the past (The imgur leak and the one that came before it). Either multiple sources saying the same thing or more piggybacking.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422661941/#422661941
>July 9th
King K Rool: Japan Expo takes place in France (A place where the DKC cartoon was made in) and Smash Ultimate is going to be in the game
>August 1st
Isaac: Shares the same Japanese voice actor as Krystal.
>September 26th
Simon: Leaked by Vergeben and shares the same Japanese voice actor as Leif in FE Heroes.
>October 29th
Saki Amamiya: License for Sin and Punishment and a Smash Bros Logo were filed by Nintendo in the same day.
>November 17th
New Pokemon rep and Steve from Minecraft: stuff related to minecraft (stage = new fighter) was possibly leaked by Vergeben, A Pokemon rep will be coming too since the announcement date is the same as Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon's release date.
>December 5th
Elma: a report stated that Sakurai bought a mech to reference his latest project and shares the same Japanese voice actor as Tailtiu in FE Heroes.

Next, Here are the Echo Fighters that were teased but actually coming at launch of the game.

Chrom: Ike's chrom recolor was missing in the 1st demo version of smash bros ultimate.
Dark Samus: Samus' Dark Samus recolor was missing in the 1st demo version of smash bros ultimate.
Shadow: Knuckles replaced Shadow as a AT.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422640907/#422640907
The game's roster is finished and some people in the leak scene know the whole thing, inculding me. This info was not easy to obtain.

Massive spoilers incoming.

Newcomers

Inkling
Ridley
Decidueye
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man
Shovel Knight
Steve

Echo Fighters

Daisy
Funky Kong (His side B he hits his opponent into the ground with his surfboard, his Up B spins it around)

That's the final roster. Sakurai was not kidding when he said not to expect many new fighters.

Also there's a new mode called Smash Quest. The main purpose of this mode is for unlocking characters. It only has one stage but every fighter's stage is different.
First one:
>Giygas as a clone
>Funky kong
Sorry but only because Guiege looks similar as Mewtwo doesn't means he have the same powers and abilities, and Funky Kong is just a recent meme.
Second one:
Uses Vergeben for everything, even for stuff that he didn't even said.... like Steve from Minecraft, also saying "Pokemon rep" but not saying who is it, but having info of every single other newcomer? not credible at all.
Third one:
Rex & Pyra... Spring Man... when the roster was decided in 2015, the characters didn't even exist and there was no way they would knew the games were gonna success or not.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
So... Smash 64 had 12 characters.
Melee had 26 characters.
Brawl had 39 characters.
After DLC, Wii U/3DS had 58 characters.
My guess for the final roster at number at launch will be...

65 veterans and 10 newcomers. Don't know why, but that sounds "right" to me.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
On the bright side, at least we're getting the beautiful Unova League in HD. Not quite the same as a character, but it's nice to know Unova wasn't completely ignored for Kalos saturation.

Hoenn on the other hand...
Considering that Hoenn is my favorite region also doesn't make it any better:(
> When Pika Libre is the closest thing to a playable Hoenn Pokémon we have

:'^)
Welcome to madness.
I'm just sick of how Game Freak constantly panders to Gen I, they've been doing that since BW2 I wanna say and I'm just so tired of Gen I existing
Latest Pokémon announcement this year:

*Proceeded to hope for Gen 8 release and to expect Gen 4 remake instead gratefully*

*Game Freak proceeds to release yet another (big) nod to Gen 1: Let's go Pikachu*

*Proceeds to scream in agony like my soul is being devoured*

Exaggerated last part aside I fear Gen 1 will be held over our heads for quite a while. I don't hate Gen 1 since Red and Blue we're my first games, but here's hoping Gen 8 takes a break with the Gen 1 pandering.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I liked the idea of a SuMo/Kanto mix sequel exploring a changed Kanto with old and new faces, but alas...

D

Deleted member

>Funky kong
and Funky Kong is just a recent meme.
You better not be trying to claim that Funky isn't legitimately liked and supported.
If you are, you and I are going to have a little chat....

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's gonna be a point in time where Smash is not gonna be able to keep increasing the roster size unless Nintendo allows an increase in development time.
Brawl's was the longest solely for SSE, it's taking about 1.5 to 2 years now as a norm of development, which is fine on its own. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

Here's an example on why I'm not okay with Isabelle being in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Here's an example on why I'm not okay with Isabelle being in Smash.
We're well past the point where that's a big deal. Say what you will about the dog from Duck Hunt, but the duck did nothing wrong.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

Captain of Dedede's guard

The Last Ranger
Elma: BLADE Colonel/Humanity's Saviour/Full Metal Jaguar

Krystal: Survivor of Cerinia

Bandana Dee: The legend of dee

Impa: Guardian of Hylia

Lara Croft: Dual Weilding Explorer

Rayman: Hero of Dreams

Medusa: Goddess of Darkness/Ruler of the underworld

KMDP

Smash Legend
So... Smash 64 had 12 characters.
Melee had 26 characters.
Brawl had 39 characters.
After DLC, Wii U/3DS had 58 characters.
My guess for the final roster at number at launch will be...

65 veterans and 10 newcomers. Don't know why, but that sounds "right" to me.
Seems legit. :)

I've actually been formulating a newcomer roster game we can play that's based on a points system, but I'm ironing out the kinks at the moment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We're well past the point where that's a big deal. Say what you will about the dog from Duck Hunt, but the duck did nothing wrong.
The duck was in on the whole thing.
Why do you think they two work together in Smash? :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think the only problem with growing the number of fighters in the roster is how small their portraits will be over time. :chuckle: You can barely select them unless they give you another page like Smash 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom