• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
DLC was supported for Smash for 1.5 years with Smash 4 if I’m remembering correctly. I know for sure it was over a year atleast.
Also we now know that Smash 4 DLC ending when it did coincided with Sakurai being asked to develop a new Smash game for the Switch. If there is DLC, with the idea that this is it Smash wise for a while, who knows how long they'll keep releasing it. I honestly doubt it'll only last a year this time around if it happens for that reason, but it's way too soon to really start thinking about DLC seriously when we don't even know everything that's going to be in the base game yet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Watch Sakurai pull a 360 an confirm Gallade instead.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If they have a long term plan to do DLC they could also keep more of the development team together and maybe push out more content faster than Smash 4's DLC. I'm all for DLC. I don't want the game to ship and that be it for the roster.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also we now know that Smash 4 DLC ending when it did coincided with Sakurai being asked to develop a new Smash game for the Switch. If there is DLC, with the idea that this is it Smash wise for a while, who knows how long they'll keep releasing it. I honestly doubt it'll only last a year this time around if it happens for that reason, but it's way too soon to really start thinking about DLC seriously when we don't even know everything that's going to be in the base game yet.
I wonder how long Sm4sh DLC would have continued had Sakurai not been asked to make another game?
I imagine it would have never ended. :laugh:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
He JUST got his sword.

How ungreatful...
It kind of distresses me how headcanon about Ganondorf has gotten to the point where some people are offended by the idea of him punching someone as though he never did in his games.

I think most people are aware Gardevoir can be male if they're into Pokemon.
Oh dear...

We're on page 2014. This was the year I became a Nintendo fan... and my life started to crash.
Hey, I'm in the same boat, we'll be coming up the year I became a Crash fan and... my life started to nintendo

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He JUST got his sword.

Ungreatful...
Y'know I've never been a fan of this "be grateful for every little thing" mindset.
It's very possible for people to still be grateful and be disappointed.
Loving something unconditionally doesn't mean you love something better, it just means you love it blindly.

(And if you want my opinion, OoT Ganondorf (who doesn't even use swords, bar that noncanon tech demo) having copy-pasted sword slams from Ike and Cloud hardly changes the fact that the rest of his moveset is still the same old Falcondorf instead of being unique or faithful.)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So if, hypothetically, Gardevoir was revealed to be playable, what is everyone's reaction to that?

I just said this moments ago, but I'd be overjoyed. I know we have some passionate gen 7 mon supporters here, so I feel like some of the reactions could be interesting.
Dissapointment. Sceptile is my second favorite Pokémon a Pipe Dream want. Knowing they passed him over for a different Gen 3 Pokémon would make me sad.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
As one of my top 10 favorite Pokemon...maybe idk my order changes all the time lol, but one of my most favorite I'd be super ok. I mean he isn't my FAVORITE (literally Mimikyu is my favorite Pokemon and I'd die if it got in) but I'd be super hype even if it would be random lol.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Exclusively to earn the ire of everyone on this thread, I think Gallade would unironically be way better. We already have psychic/magic princesses in dresses, we don't have a guy with blades for arms yet.
(And if you want my opinion, OoT Ganondorf (who doesn't even use swords, bar that noncanon tech demo) having copy-pasted sword slams from Ike and Cloud hardly changes the fact that the rest of his moveset is still the same old Falcondorf instead of being unique or faithful.)
Ganon has several moves directly based on either actions in his games or art made of him, e.g. forward special, forward tilt and forward air.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So if, hypothetically, Gardevoir was revealed to be playable, what is everyone's reaction to that?

I just said this moments ago, but I'd be overjoyed. I know we have some passionate gen 7 mon supporters here, so I feel like some of the reactions could be interesting.
I'd be cool with it, I really want Jirachi but I know there's plenty of Gardevoir supporters and her inclusion wouldn't be unwarranted, I'd be happy for you guys.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We already have weird psychic/magic princesses in dresses, we don't have a guy with blades for arms yet.
Gardevoirs can be males.
That's where they usually mess up first when they try to make waifus out of Pokemon. :denzel:

KMDP

Smash Legend
My life as a Nintendo fan started in 2003. Thank :ulttoonlink: for that
Hah! You plebian! My Nintendo life started in 1997!
(and then someone else points out they started even earlier and it all spirals out of control)

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Yay it's 2016, the year I got my driver's license, graduated from high school and entered community college. Really grew up that year.

I wonder how long Sm4sh DLC would have continued had Sakurai not been asked to make another game?
I imagine it would have never ended. :laugh:
You know, they say that Sakurai's Hype Train never really ends. ;)

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

Superior Pokémon rep coming through. :p

If we get a new Pokémon character that's meant to represent Gen 7, I think it should be an Ultra Beast, and Buzzwole is possibly the most popular one. More importantly, his abilities and personality are a perfect fit for Smash. Just take a look at his concept art:
It makes me imagine him as an air grappler that drains the energy of fighters to become stronger as the fight goes on, which I think could be pretty unique. Plus, he'd have god-tier taunts!

Seeing Gardevoir talk here is weird, albeit welcomed.

Ralts was the very first pokemon I ever threw a pokeball at, so being the first pokemon I ever "caught" for the motto of catching them all means the whole line has a special place in my heart. (ignoring the fact I never used that Ralts because only knowing Growl meant I didnt use it.)

Gardevoir has probably been my most wanted pokemon for a while, although I admittedly frequently forget that because of how unlikely they are. Seeing support is nice though/
:061:

Wambo

Smash Ace
A'ight, so two things to say here.

1.) I strongly agree with the people who've been saying that the newcomers will mostly be popular fan requests this time around. Of course, I've seen people who've disagreed with this, but they're the ones who think an ARMS fighter has a chance of coming to this game. Popular fan requests I've seen are mostly Ridley, K.Rool, Geno, Bandana Dee, and Isaac. And I guess Simon, but only because of Vergeben, who probably has no friends and wants that sweet, sweet internet attention. We've already got Ridley, but I think Vergeben is full of ****, so if Simon actually gets revealed halfway between now and release, be afraid, because that'll mean that we probably don't have any/too many newcomers left.

2.) And speaking of ARMS fighters, I really wish people would stop predicting/requesting them. The game didn't even get support for a whole year as it was originally planned, and Yabuki even came out and said that he was flattered, but there wouldn't be an ARMS fighter in the game. I think if the producer of a game has to come out and actually state something like this, they're telling the truth. I don't think ARMS was popular enough, and you can pull up all the fan art you want of Spring-Man sippin' tea with Pikachu, I don't care. They have less of a chance than Waluigi getting in as DLC at this point, and that's saying something (not a Waluigi fan, but if Reggie publicly states that Sakurai will be made aware of his demand, that's something to grab on to at least).

Sorry, but I just see it this way. Also, regarding the "advertisement" conversation quite a few pages back, I know a lot of Nintendo fans out there who don't like Smash at all (despite who makes it in), so what is the point of the "advertising a character because they're new" argument? Popular fan requests make the most sense for what seems to be Sakurai's last Smash game (or for a while). If Nintendo fans see a new game coming out (like people who picked up ARMS), they're gonna pick it up because it's Nintendo. Characters like Spring-Man just don't make sense to me, because I just don't see ARMS 2 being a thing.

EDIT: Some words.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exclusively to earn the ire of everyone on this thread, I think Gallade would unironically be way better. We already have weird psychic/magic ladies in dresses, we don't have a guy with blades for arms yet.

Ganon has several moves directly based on either actions in his games or art made of him, e.g. forward special, forward tilt and forward air.
Yeah I'm aware the sideB is TP Ganondorf murdering one of the sages and that the spartan kick is a move TP Ganondorf uses. Those are decent enough moves to draw from him compared to the rest of his relatively Smash original moveset.

But I'm pretty sure Ganondorf has never done an overhand punch, at least in-game anyways.
(unless you count that OoT ground slam, which I personally don't see)

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
With Smash coming out a little over a year and a half after the Switch’s release, I wouldn’t doubt that DLC last longer either.

I’m hoping we get more than just characters and stages this time as well. Maybe not a mode, but items or costumes would be cool.

Speaking of modes though, is anyone else hoping Smash Run returns and is new and improved? Say it will me MULTIPLE MAPS AND ONLINE PLAY

KMDP

Smash Legend

Superior Pokémon rep coming through. :p

If we get a new Pokémon character that's meant to represent Gen 7, I think it should be an Ultra Beast, and Buzzwole is possibly the most popular one. More importantly, his abilities and personality are a perfect fit for Smash. Just take a look at his concept art:
It makes me imagine him as an air grappler that drains the energy of fighters to become stronger as the fight goes on, which I think could be pretty unique. Plus, he'd have god-tier taunts!
I'd say, if they were going to pick anyone, it'd be a starter. Simply because they know it'll be at least semi-popular.
*hurriedly hides Lucario behind a curtain*

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With Smash coming out a little over a year and a half after the Switch’s release, I wouldn’t doubt that DLC last longer either.

I’m hoping we get more than just characters and stages this time as well. Maybe not a mode, but items or costumes would be cool.

Speaking of modes though, is anyone else hoping Smash Run returns and is new and improved? Say it will me MULTIPLE MAPS AND ONLINE PLAY
As long as it isn't

SMASH TOUR

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Debating what Pokemon will be in Smash is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. That is, the needle you want out of over 700 other needles in the haystack.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Debating what Pokemon will be in Smash is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. That is, the needle you want out of over 700 other needles in the haystack.
More like the entire haystack is just needles.

You search and you search and all you get is pricked and hurt.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, there was that one popularity contest TPC did a few years back. The one where Simisear came dead last (Poor Simisear, nobody loves you). That would certainly cut the wheat from the chaff.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
A'ight, so two things to say here.

1.) I strongly agree with the people who've been saying that the newcomers will mostly be popular fan requests this time around. Of course, I've seen people who've disagreed with this, but they're the ones who think an ARMS fighter has a chance of coming to this game. Popular fan requests I've seen are mostly Ridley, K.Rool, Geno, Bandana Dee, and Isaac. And I guess Simon, but only because of Vergeben, who probably has no friends and wants that sweet, sweet internet attention. We've already got Ridley, but I think Vergeben is full of ****, so if Simon actually gets revealed halfway between now and release, be afraid, because that'll mean that we probably don't have any/too many newcomers left.

2.) And speaking of ARMS fighters, I really wish people would stop predicting/requesting them. The game didn't even get support for a whole year as it was originally planned, and Yabuki even came out and said that he was flattered, but there wouldn't be an ARMS fighter in the game. I think if the producer of a game has to come out and actually state something like this, they're telling the truth. I don't think ARMS was popular enough, and you can pull up all the fan art you want of Spring-Man sippin' tea with Pikachu, I don't care. They have less of a chance than Waluigi getting in as DLC at this point, and that's saying something (not a Waluigi fan, but if Reggie publicly states that Sakurai will be made aware of his demand, that's something to grab on to at least).

Sorry, but I just see it this way. Also, regarding the "advertisement" conversation quite a few pages back, I know a lot of Nintendo fans out there who don't like Smash at all (despite who makes it in), so what is the point of the "advertising a character because they're new" argument? Popular fan requests make the most sense for what seems to be Sakurai's last Smash game (or for a while). If Nintendo fans see a new game coming out (like ARMS fans), they're gonna pick it up because it's Nintendo. Characters like Spring-Man just don't make sense to me.

EDIT: Some words.
Just quickly, are you actually hoping people stopping wanting a character? Because like what the ****?! Lol.

It doesn't harm you that I want Twintelle. ARMS character supporters aren't even vocal on here because most don't expect them to be in the base, but it defintely has a shot at dlc. As for saying it wasn't successful, that's just blatanatly incorrect, because for a new Nintendo IP on a new console it did well. Not Splatoon levels but that doesn't mean it can't be considered.

Anyway I only decided to reply to this because you specifically wished for people to stop wanting a character and that's just silly. I don't think Isaac is likely at all and I don't talk down his supporters.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Just got through Xenoblade 2 and wow. I don't care if it's a character, a stage or whatever, but we need representation of that game in Smash.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Just got through Xenoblade 2 and wow. I don't care if it's a character, a stage or whatever, but we need representation of that game in Smash.
We’ll most likely get it in the form of DLC. Nintendo is pushing that game HARD, and Sakurai loved it so, cheers to that.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

My Signature speaks for myself but still, I'd be over the moon with joy I've always had her in my team whenever possible considering she my favorite psychic type and favorite fairy type :)
I've never had much of a connection with her, though I've had her in my team in some playthroughs. I'll be relatively fine with it either way, though I do have a handful I'd rather have.

I'll always lament the day Lucario got chosen over Garchomp. Cynthia's pet land-shark-dragon got passed over for Anubis-punch-dog.
Hey Lucario has done nothing to you XD Also, it kinda comes full circle since Lucario is one of her Pokémon and possibly her most powerful and/or favorite Pokémon considering you fight It last in the game, also check her aesthetics:

Note the hairclips

Seems familiar

and no matter what she wears, she always has them on, even the champ can't resist Lucario's coolness.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The OST for XC2 is being trialed for murder because it slayed me. That OST is so so so good.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The fact the roster was decided in December 2015 kinda diminishes Rex and Pyra's chances at the base roster, but I can see them being released post-launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom