• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Ive been wanting a gen 3 Poke for a long time. It’s easily my most favorite generation of all. Top picks goes to:

Gardevoir
Sceptile
Blaziken
Flygon
Plusie and Minun
Mudkip
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Plusle and Minun as a Pichu / Ice Climbers mix. I was sad to learn they were axed from Brawl :(

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm so disappointed we never got some Pokken moves being put into the Pokemon reps in Smash.

Like how cool would it be if Mewtwo could fully charge his Shadow Ball into a hyper-beam or Lucario could manifest a staff for bone rush?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm so disappointed we never got some Pokken moves being put into the Pokemon reps in Smash.

Like how cool would it be if Mewtwo could fully charge his Shadow Ball into a hyper-beam or Lucario could manifest a staff for bone rush?
Ganondorf comes first to moveset rehauls. :ultganondorf:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I have no significant attachment to Gardevoir, in fact I've never even played gen 3. I love gen 1 as much as the next genwunner, but my relationship with Pokemon since then is largely casual. I buy whatever the most recent Pokemon game is only if I feel like it at the time, and I usually don't finish it. I was one of the older players pulled back in by X/Y, but even though I hadn't played a Pokemon game since gen 2, I was still well aware of Gardevoir.

That's largely why I support her. She was popular enough that you didn't really need to follow the franchise anymore to see it, and that's the reason she was one of the first revealed for Pokken. She's about as close to mainstream appeal as a non-gen 1 Pokemon gets.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gardevoir would be cool in Smash - only one of the Gen 3 mons I don't dislike. Plus the whole boost she got from the Fairy type and the fact that che reminds me of a magical badss princess like Zelda is just icing on the cake.

*gasp* MISSINGNO.!
There are a few fantheories/bugs that need to be canonized. One is the whole Kangaskhan/Cubone theory. The other is that the OG MissingNo needs to be real in some way.

Like can we have a Pokéball in Smash and then :000:THIS pops out and instantly covers the screen in static as its effect?
Missingno trophy? With plenty of references to that old man and Cinnabar island?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have no significant attachment to Gardevoir, in fact I've never even played gen 3. I love gen 1 as much as the next genwunner, but my relationship with Pokemon since then is largely casual. I buy whatever the most recent Pokemon game is only if I feel like it at the time, and I usually don't finish it. I was one of the older players pulled back in by X/Y, but even though I hadn't played a Pokemon game since gen 2, I was still well aware of Gardevoir.

That's largely why I support her. She was popular enough that you didn't really need to follow the franchise anymore to see it, and that's the reason she was one of the first revealed for Pokken. She's about as close to mainstream appeal as a non-gen 1 Pokemon gets.
Are there any other non-Gen 1 Pokémon that are mainstream popular that you can think of (besides the ones like Lucario)?
Also, fun fact in case you weren't aware. Gardevoir can be Male or Female at a 50/50 rate, though lots of people assume it's Female-only because it's so feminine looking and has a Male-only counterpart (Gallade for non-Poké-fans).

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Tbh, in terms of Pokémon newcomers:

Generation VII Pokemon for Base Roster
Generation VIII Pokemon for DLC Roster

Pokémon Sun and Moon is in the same boot as Pokémon X and Y. Sakurai probably decided to make a placeholder from the upcoming game to see which Pokémon should get in.

Pokemon ? and ? will most likely come as DLC when the next generation game comes out in 2019. I mean it’s the first core Pokémon game to be on a home console, there’s bound to be a character they’ll add from that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Tbh, in terms of Pokémon newcomers:

Generation VII Pokemon for Base Roster
Generation VIII Pokemon for DLC Roster

Pokémon Sun and Moon is in the same boot as Pokémon X and Y. Sakurai probably decided to make a placeholder from the upcoming game to see which Pokémon should get in.

Pokemon ? and ? will most likely come as DLC when the next generation game comes out in 2019. I mean it’s the first core Pokémon game to be on a home console, there’s bound to be a character they’ll add from that.
Gen 8 hasn't even been officially announced yet. All we know is 2019 and most likely late 2019. So unless we get Smash DLC 2020, it's either not happening or it's going to get in early as an (ugh) advertisement.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Congratulations to all the new writing staff for SmashBoards! I look forward to working with you in the future~
@ToasterBrains Fenriraga Fenriraga and everyone else I forgot :X

I'll get my Internet installed the first week of July, looking forward to having Internet at my house!
That means the world and back coming from you man, thanks! I hope to work with you more too!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've always loved Gardevoir ever since I was a kid. I like Psychic types, and I loved it's feminine design. I always went through the trouble of finding one and then giving her a nickname and having it as one of my main Pokemon. I feel like I've got a more personal connection to Gardevoir than most other Pokemon. I'd totally be down to have Gardevoir in Smash but I don't think it's ever gonna happen. Stuck as an assist trophy.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So if, hypothetically, Gardevoir was revealed to be playable, what is everyone's reaction to that?

I just said this moments ago, but I'd be overjoyed. I know we have some passionate gen 7 mon supporters here, so I feel like some of the reactions could be interesting.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Tbh I think a new pokemon is skipping the base roster, with 3 pokes being added and gen 8 on the way next year it makes sense that they'll skip it and add one of those later on as DLC

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look on the bright side. In 2 years when Switch modding becomes relatively easy, someone obsessed with her might make a skin-mod over Zelda.
The Phantom Armor could be Golurk or something.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So if, hypothetically, Gardevoir was revealed to be playable, what is everyone's reaction to that?

I just said this moments ago, but I'd be overjoyed. I know we have some passionate gen 7 mon supporters here, so I feel like some of the reactions could be interesting.
One of the few Pokemon newcomers I'd genuinely be excited for.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Are there any other non-Gen 1 Pokémon that you can think of (besides the ones like Lucario)?
Also, fun fact in case you weren't aware. Gardevoir can be Male or Female at a 50/50 rate, though lots of people assume it's Female-only because it's so feminine looking and has a Male-only counterpart (Gallade for non-Poké-fans).
I know she can be male, but so can Jigglypuff and I'm not about to start calling her he either.

And at this point I'm largely familiarized with Pokemon again. I can't tell you all of them by any margin, but I'm not in the dark like I used to be. I played X/Y and Sun/Moon. I do think that none of the later gen mons have quite caught on the way Gardevoir and Lucario did. Maybe Greninja, but that's a self-fulfilling prophecy from getting in Smash in the first place.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Couple dozen pages behind, was catching up on stuff posted Tuesday but it's at least better than before.

Saw a post mentioning disliking DLC and honestly, when it comes to any game that can be played competitively, I agree. I've expressed my issues with Bayonetta before but to make something clear, if she's broken, op, dumb or whatever in Ultimate, I won't actually care. That'll just show me that the dev team does a poor job of balancing her and it wouldn't be the first time they've shown that :pikachu64::foxmelee::metaknight:. My problem specifically with Sm4sh Bayo is that she's the best and costs extra to use. That creates a literal pay to win scenario and I actually find Cloud slightly more offensive in this regard because Bayo at least doesn't destroy diversity in singles like Cloud does in doubles and Bayo takes actual work to use unlike Cloud.

If we get DLC characters in Ultimate, I hope the dev team gives the same attention and care for their balance as they do the rest of the cast.

I also see people mention that if we get a really small amount of newcomers then 'what did the dev team do with all of that time?' and I take issue with that. I'm no game dev but iirc, it was said that Sm4sh Roy (or heck, maybe it was Sm4sh Doc) couldn't just be carried over from Melee because of how old the data was. This should also apply to Young Link and Pichu and honestly, possibly the Brawl vets too. You also have to consider that they changed mechanics like air dodging, dashing and perfect shielding and I doubt it was all figured out over night. There's also an insane amount of characters now which have to be tested for glitches and balance with every other character in the game and you have to make sure all stages and items work as intended with every character. Then there's adding lord knows how many songs and we don't even know what modes the game has. Creating characters takes a long time I imagine, no doubt about that but to say that that's the only thing that could've taken up such a large chunk of the dev time seems silly to me.

I'm actually holding the belief that what we were shown so far is all we're getting. Just Ridley, Inkling and Daisy. I'm probably dead wrong but I don't even care. I've got Wolf, Falco, Ganon and 3 different Links to choose from. I'll be happy with whatever we get (unless it's a character from FE3H. Please, just stop.)

Stages coming back was a discussion and Fountain of Dreams was brought up a lot. I too would love that stage to return but I wonder if the big issue is the reflections? They could always prohibit the stage from being in 8 player Smash and we can already have 4 ICies on it in Melee but I know on Dolphin matches, I often see the background made pure black and the reflection turned off so I question if it's really straining to run.

There was also listings of everyone's favourite final form starters and I can't list much since over time, I've grown to dislike all of the starters. I wish they would shake things up and go with different triangles. They don't even have to remove all 3 types. There's Water, Ground, Electric and Fire, Steel, Rock and Dark, Psychic, Fighting and surely more. Nostalgia has me privy to Venusaur, Typhlosion, Swampert and Empoleon and design wise, I like Delphox and I guess Blastoise, Sceptile, and Serperior are okay.

Last thing and this may have been brought up already givne how big of a topic Ridley was after his reveal but has anything been shown about him that would've proved taxing for the Wii or 3DS? I don't count the Wii U since it was restricted by the 3DS' limitations, hence why we didn't get ICies or transformations. He's big sure but then so is Giga Bowser. I guess the only difference is you can't have 4 Gigas running around at once but otherwise, from what little I've seen, he doesn't even seem that demanding of a character. It seems to me like Sakurai just needed to find an acceptable way to shrink him.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Actually, speaking of Writing. Are there threads for posting script ideas for Newcomer Trailers and Event Match ideas? I know that there's a thread for writing Codecs/Palutena's Guidances.

If there aren't either of those threads yet I might consider making them myself.

Tbh I think a new pokemon is skipping the base roster, with 3 pokes being added and gen 8 on the way next year it makes sense that they'll skip it and add one of those later on as DLC
Not to mention that all the Gen VII Pokémon were untested in popularity when the draft was made. Yes, Sakurai could have left a placeholder slot, but as others have said, if the new roster is as small as Sakurai is implying, would he have done so?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I've never had much of a connection with her, though I've had her in my team in some playthroughs. I'll be relatively fine with it either way, though I do have a handful I'd rather have.

I'll always lament the day Lucario got chosen over Garchomp. Cynthia's pet land-shark-dragon got passed over for Anubis-punch-dog.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Looking at the moveset breakdowns for Pokken really makes me wish that Gardevoir, Braixen and Chandelure had a chance for Smash, they all would be fun to play.

And it also makes me double sad that Hawlucha didn't get put in Pokken despite being perfect for it since he's an actual fighter, plus missing out on SM4SH and likely having no chance for Ultimate.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know she can be male, but so can Jigglypuff and I'm not about to start calling her he either.

And at this point I'm largely familiarized with Pokemon again. I can't tell you all of them by any margin, but I'm not in the dark like I used to be. I played X/Y and Sun/Moon. I do think that none of the later gen mons have quite caught on the way Gardevoir and Lucario did. Maybe Greninja, but that's a self-fulfilling prophecy from getting in Smash in the first place.
Yeah, but "Gardevoir is female-only" is a SUPER common misconception, and it was more for other's benefit.
BTW, I prefer to think of Jigglypuff and Gardevoir as Female too. XD (Gardevoir probably would have been female-only had Gallade debuted in the same generation)

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Are there any other non-Gen 1 Pokémon that are mainstream popular that you can think of (besides the ones like Lucario)?
Well going by most popular based on popularity polls over the years it's something like:
Gen 2:Lugia(huge though)
Gen 3: Rayquaza (really huge though)
Gen 4: Lucario (already in)
Gen 5:Chandelure
Gen 6: Greninja (already in)
Gen 7: Rowlet

Runner ups were things like Tyranitar, Mimikyu, Gardevoir, Arceus and Sceptile for the know.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I do think a new Pokemon will probably be skipped this time around, perhaps coming as DLC. Besides, they gave us back Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. There are already 9 different playable Pokemon in the game. No reason to force one in when they were in that awkward remake period around the time of the Smash project plan, but I mean Sakurai has done crazier things. I'll gladly be wrong.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Looking at the moveset breakdowns for Pokken really makes me wish that Gardevoir, Braixen and Chandelure had a chance for Smash, they all would be fun to play.

And it also makes me double sad that Hawlucha didn't get put in Pokken despite being perfect for it since he's an actual fighter, plus missing out on SM4SH and likely having no chance for Ultimate.
What's WORSE is that Pika Libre is literally just Hawlucha with electricity.
Her ultimate attack, the mother-flipping Flying Press, is HAWLUCHA'S SIGNATURE MOVE.

I get that you gotta market your mascot, but seriously?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Gen 8 hasn't even been officially announced yet. All we know is 2019 and most likely late 2019. So unless we get Smash DLC 2020, it's either not happening or it's going to get in early as an (ugh) advertisement.
Pokémon is Nintendo’s second most successful franchise though. With how successful Sun & Moon were, along with a projected late 2019 for the next core games that will be on a home console for the first time ever, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to get a Gen VII Pokémon for the base roster, and a Gen VIII Pokémon for DLC.

Just because we got some Pokémon vets back doesn’t mean they can’t add a new one from Sun & Moon to appeal to those who that was their first Pokémon game.

And although Gen VIII hasn’t been officially revealed yet, you can almost guarantee we’ll get a reveal of it early 2019 Feb-Apr. Let “Let’s Go!” have it’s time in the spotlight. DLC was supported for Smash for 1.5 years with Smash 4 if I’m remembering correctly. I know for sure it was over a year atleast.

That’d make a lot of Pokémon Reps sure, but considering the amount of Pokémon/Smash fans out there, I don’t think anyone would be that upset about it. There’d be a few but...you can’t please everyone. That being said we could also just see one new Pokémon Rep in the shape of 1 Gen VII Rep or 1 Gen VIII Rep as DLC, that wouldn’t surprise me either.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yeah, but "Gardevoir is female-only" is a SUPER common misconception, and it was more for other's benefit.
I think most people are aware Gardevoir can be male if they're into Pokemon. Can't blame anyone for thinking otherwise if they aren't into it and see it's design. I always call Gardevoir her because I always go out of my way to catch a female one lol.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I saw someone mention a potential Pokkén sequel... Just give me Golurk that plays like Sentinel from MvC and it's an instant purchase for me
I think Golurk and Chandelure might be my favourite Gen V mons.
Golurk was my designated flier in my first Gen V game (White, for the record), I made that call as soon as I found out it could learn Fly. XD
I think most people are aware Gardevoir can be male if they're into Pokemon. Can't blame anyone for thinking otherwise if they aren't into it and see it's design. I always call Gardevoir her because I always go out of my way to catch a female one lol.
I wouldn't be so sure, I watched a video by a Pokétuber the other day, who mentioned how often people would correct him, certain that Gardevoir is female-only.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think it's also fairly possible that, had Gardevoir and Gallade come out in the same generation, they would both be gender locked. Sort of like Meowstic having the vastly different male and female forms. However, since Gardevoir was able to be both in the past, they really kinda have to let Gardevoir be male. You can transfer them the whole way up from gen 3 before Gallade came into existence, so it would break game rules if you transferred your male Gardevoir up.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Pokémon is Nintendo’s second most successful franchise though. With how successful Sun & Moon were, along with a projected late 2019 for the next core games that will be on a home console for the first time ever, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to get a Gen VII Pokémon for the base roster, and a Gen VIII Pokémon for DLC.

Just because we got some Pokémon vets back doesn’t mean they can’t add a new one from Sun & Moon to appeal to those who that was their first Pokémon game.

And although Gen VIII hasn’t been officially revealed yet, you can almost guarantee we’ll get a reveal of it early 2019 Feb-Apr. Let “Let’s Go!” have it’s time in the spotlight. DLC was supported for Smash for 1.5 years with Smash 4 if I’m remembering correctly. I know for sure it was over a year atleast.

That’d make a lot of Pokémon Reps sure, but considering the amount of Pokémon/Smash fans out there, I don’t think anyone would be that upset about it. There’d be a few but...you can’t please everyone. That being said we could also just see one new Pokémon Rep in the shape of 1 Gen VII Rep or 1 Gen VIII Rep as DLC, that wouldn’t surprise me either.
Pokemon is Nintendo's most successful series, moreso than Mario

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I swear it's gunna be like Ridley all over again when a Gen 7 newcomer is revealed "Oh that was obvious, of course they would add a Gen 7 pokemon" :rolleyes: And I'll just be sitting there shaking my head.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pokemon is Nintendo's most successful series, moreso than Mario
I feel like that's highly debatable. Pokemon's spin offs don't seem to sell as well as Mario's, and I'm not sure how the sales of modern main line games compare to each other but it must be almighty close.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be so sure, I watched a video by a Pokétuber the other day, who mentioned how often people would correct him, certain that Gardevoir is female-only.
Has that guy never run into a wild Male Ralts before. I know I have in my search for the Female ones lol.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Has that guy never run into a wild Male Ralts before. I know I have in my search for the Female ones lol.
He knew Gardevoir can be male, it was the people in the comments who were wrong. XD
(Realising now that the way I worded it the first time was ambiguous, sorry 'bout that.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom