• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Part of me hopes both Decidueye and Mimikyu get in so we don't have to deal with the inevitable flamewar that'll happen if only one of them got in. Mimikyu fans will explode if it's just Decidueye because a lot of Mimikyu fans reeealllllyyyyy hate Decidueye for some reason, and the opposite applies to Decidueye, I don't want to see everyone on the side that doesn't get there character become so unhappy.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Given how this game's roster was decided December 2015 and how a Smash game's roster is set in stone when it's decided (and before you bring up clones and:sonic:, I KNOW), which was in between Pokemon OmegaRuby / Pokemon AlphaSapphire and Pokemon Sun / Pokemon Moon, a Pokemon newcomer is gonna be either a popular Gen III Pokemon (Sceptile, Blaziken, Gardevoir, etc.) or one of the Gen VII Pokemon that had its design finalized at that time (which from what we know are Decidueye, Inciniroar, Primarina, and Magearna).

D

Deleted member

To me, Mimikyu would work best as a Pokeball with a counter based mechanic where, when it hits, the doll slumps down and Mimikyu attacks with its flaws.

Decidueye can be a Mii costume.
Incineror can be a trophy.
Nihelgo thingy is a stage hazard.

We all know that the mighty Drampa is god tier Poke rep material!

It's not Mimikyu so I'm totally fine with that.
I have to admit it's intresting to see you think Mimikyu is likely, or likely enough to not be surprised.
I'm not delusional enough to think a character is unlikely just because I don't like them. It's a close-minded mentality that I really don't understand.
That said I definitely don't think it's the most likely Pokemon newcomer. I think Sakurai would go for a Pokemon with a more conventional build such as Incineroar or Decidueye given that Greninja's humaoid body type was so easy to make a moveset out of.
So unless it's Grass Pokemon fans vs. Fairy Pokemon fans idk why people would be so divided.
People see (or at least used to see) Decidueye as a bandwagon character. They were right in a way, I've been seeing a lot of people expect Mimikyu post-E3 and dismissing Decidueye because We Already Have A Grass Type Starter™.
I'm just so excited that 50% of the likely Pokemon contenders are ghost types! Time to get spooky in this *****!
Well, as someone whose favorite type is ghost, this is a silver lining I guess...
I just wish the other ghost type contender wasn't one of my least favorite Pokemon ever...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Given how this game's roster was decided December 2015 and how a Smash game's roster is set in stone when it's decided (and before you bring up clones and:sonic:, I KNOW), which was in between Pokemon OmegaRuby / Pokemon AlphaSapphire and Pokemon Sun / Pokemon Moon, a Pokemon newcomer is gonna be either a popular Gen III Pokemon (Sceptile, Blaziken, Gardevoir, etc.) or one of the Gen VII Pokemon that had its design finalized at that time (which from what we know are Decidueye, Inciniroar, Primarina, and Magearna).
So what you're saying is that Jirachi will get in. :awesome:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Or we just won't get a new Pokemon this time.

It's one thing to reserve a spot for a new, untested Pokemon if you're planning on adding a dozen characters, it's another thing to reserve a spot for new, untested Pokemon if you're planning on adding half a dozen characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At this point, I'm partially hoping for a blog post to show off Gardevoir as a Pokeball summon. Like, don't let it linger, just let me down already,

@Lampy (regarding sig), Crash straight up using the extra life face as his icon would be so perfect it isn't funny

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Honestly I feel like Mimikyu might end up being the Zoroark of this game.
And no, it has nothing to do with my preference towards Decidueye.
As in a gen 8 Mon will get in instead? Because that's unlikely so I think I misunderstood.
The Gen 3 thing is proabbbbbbly not gunna happen. Why? Gen 5 was still being released at the time of the project plan, just by a few months. Instead he wrote in a Pokemon from a game that hadn't even released yet.

Not only would a gen 3 Pokemon be very late, its in the same situation as Gen 5 last time. The only way I see me being wrong about this is the Ballot. But I really don't think Sakurai will take all of his picks from the Ballot.

Basically I'm not into the whole betting thing, but if I were to make a bet it would be that we aren't getting a Gen 3 Pokemon.

It's one thing to reserve a spot for a new, untested Pokemon if you're planning on adding a dozen characters, it's another thing to reserve a spot for new, untested Pokemon if you're planning on adding half a dozen characters.
Its also another thing to reserve a spot for a character from one of the best (if not best) selling Nintendo series that always has multiple options to choose from practically guarnteeing a Pokemon that will work in smash and be popular.

Don't doubt the Mon.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Good thing Gen III remakes came out before the roster was decided then :p

D

Deleted member

We're on page 2014. This was the year I became a Nintendo fan... and my life started to crash.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Also even if we don't get a Pokemon newcomer in the base game I could very easily see a Gen VIII Pokemon being added post-release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You wish. :troll:
see what i did there? :V
>wish
Yes I did, but, you fell into my trap, Jirachi can grant wishes, and you just stated someone wished for it, it's confirmed now. If you didn't point it out it wouldn't be confirmed but now Jirachi is 100% happening.
You know what Pokemon I think deserves to get into Smash?

Sceptile

What? You thought I was gonna twist the conversation back to Yoshi? Why I'd never!!!
Sceptile is just the Pokemon version of Yoshi, I'm not falling for your lies and deception.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hey, I've been supporting Gardevoir for years. She got robbed by poor timing.
Isaac fans know the feeling.
Poor timing for Melee, stiff competition for Brawl, lack of relevancy for Sm4sh.
Makes you wanna OTL.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
All this Gardevoir talk reminds of a dumb inside joke, but now it'd actually be relevant, so, how would you all react if we got Gardevoir but...
She's a Rosalina + Luma echo, and Jirachi's the Luma replacement?
I don't recall Sceptile being intoxicatingly adorable or having any eating based moves...

I might be wrong on that
That's because he's in stealth mode, if he ate people or was ultra adorable Yoshi's cover as "Sceptile" would be blown. I would never lie to you.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ive been wanting a gen 3 Poke for a long time. It’s easily my most favorite generation of all. Top picks goes to:

Gardevoir
Sceptile
Blaziken
Flygon
Plusie and Minun
Mudkip

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Page 2014 - The year when Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U released, and the year I joined these forums... The speculation from that era was insane, but I'm glad that with Smash Ultimate on the way, it seems a lot more controlled and they're not going out of the way to tease fanbases mercilessly. (AKA the Ridley shadow on Pyrosphere)

Don't know how much speculation fuel I've got left in me, but I think I might stop speculating for good once Ultimate comes out.

As for the Pokémon topic, if it comes to light that we don't see a Pokémon newcomer, then I think it would be likely we'll see one as DLC - most likely from Sun and Moon.

D

Deleted member

Real talk though, I'm actually not sold on any Gen 3 Pokemon.
My favorites of this Gen are Salamence and Metagross, but they wouldn't work because of their body types. I have some other favorites such as Gardevoir, Breloom, and Swampert, but I'm not super invested in their moveset potential.
The popular choices for Gen 3 that I've seen are Sceptile, Blaziken, and Deoxys. I bandwagoned Sceptile back in the DLC (before I joined Smashboards), but nowadays he's my least favorite of the Hoenn bois and the whole bandwagon kinda soured me on the idea. Blaziken is too similar to Falcon, and Deoxys is just a Pokemon I've never been hugely fond of. I don't hate it, I'm just neutral.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Up until Sylveon came out, Gardevoir had been my favorite Pokemon since I was in 3rd grade (when gen 3 came out) and Fairy type has become my favorite type. Seeing her in Pokken made me day-one that game and grind it for months. Gardevoir in Smash would make me scream like a little schoolgirl. As a giant Gardevoir fan, I have little hope even though timing might be on her side. But hoo boy would I be excited.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This may be the right time for Gardevoir.

Pokken is never proof but is good for showing off potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom