• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Well, I think I'm out for awhile. People are sick of my Nintendo elitism (feels weird to be told that as a mostly PS fanboy haha) and I don't really want anyone to feel like I'm making the atmosphere toxic. I'm sorry my reasoning pisses people off. I wasn't trying to, they were honestly just my predictions and logic behind them.

See y'all later. It's been cool.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So besides the leak brought up previously, I found some more.

Two leaks say Banjo will have a newcomer reveal this afternoon.

[/SPOILER]
They saw the other tweets about something happening this afternoon, and also misunderstood them.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Chill out. Honestly if Smash isn't about Nintendo there's no reason to have the majority of the cast. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend Shulk, Captain Falcon, Martha, and Ness are general gaming icons. They are Nintendo icons. Smash is a great Nintendo crossover. It's a lousy general gaming crossover.
My whole vent there wasn't directed towards you per say, it was towards the whole group who doesn't want a character for "not being Nintendo enough". your comment just reminded me of it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, I think I'm out for awhile. People are sick of my Nintendo elitism (feels weird to be told that as a mostly PS fanboy haha) and I don't really want anyone to feel like I'm making the atmosphere toxic. I'm sorry my reasoning pisses people off. I wasn't trying to, they were honestly just my predictions and logic behind them.

See y'all later. It's been cool.
Well, I'm not sick of anything you've been saying.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
CEO is an fgc event. If they wanted to make a reveal at an fgc event why wouldn't they want to get the attention of the fgc by announcing a character that is popular within the fgc? Banjo mostly appeals to casual Nintendo fans. That's why I'm sure Banjo or anyone else other than a fighting game character wouldn't get announced at CEO.
Noctis in Tekken 7 was revealed at the end of a massive Tekken tournament. Noct isn't a fighting game character.

I feel like that's more of something you THINK they should do, not something they WILL do.

Smash has never had a reveal at a fighting game, and I don't think that's going to change. But if it did, I felt Sakurai would be compelled to reveal whoever he wanted.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Noctis in Tekken 7 was revealed at the end of a massive Tekken tournament. Noct isn't a fighting game character.

I feel like that's more of something you THINK they should do, not something they WILL do.
That's not a great comparison because practically everyone who cares about Tekken is into the competitive scene while only a tiny fraction of Smash fans care about it's competitive scene. But yes, I obviously don't know how Nintendo will handle the reveals.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
That's not a great comparison because practically everyone who cares about Tekken is into the competitive scene while only a tiny fraction of Smash fans care about it's competitive scene. But yes, I obviously don't know how Nintendo will handle the reveals.
Ultimate battle 2k18

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Again for the upteenth billion time, it doesn't if YOU consider Yoshi a Mario character or not. SMASH is treating him as a Yoshi rep.
Smash 4 literally had Yoshi mixed in with the other Mario characters in the CSS Screen.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:

But other than that. I think Yoshi probably was treated as it’s own thing because they didn’t want to affiliate it as a 3rd Mario character in the first game with only twelve characters.

It’s weird because Yoshi is canonically part of the Mario series and part of Mario’s lore come from those games. Yoshi can be easily considered a Mario character if Sakurai wanted to and most people would agree, the series are interwoven with each other.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Page 2010? I'm really feeling it.
Shoutouts to Operation Rainfall (which I was a part of) for bringing Xenoblade to the West and launching it's popularity.

I remember nabbing the only copy of Xenoblade Chronicles Wii in Arizona from Gamestop. I had it on hold and people legitimately tried to bribe the store to get it. Still got my hands on it.

Felt good man.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You say that, yet you're talking about who would be revealed at a primarily competitive event? This is literally the same train of thought of what audience Noct was revealed for.

I honestly doubt many competitive Smash players care THAT much about other fighting games, either. Ridley could honestly be argued as the "Competitive Choice" since many top players had him at the top of their lists (Well, for Melee, anyway), yet he was revealed for E3 over, say, a third party.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
My whole vent there wasn't directed towards you per say, it was towards the whole group who doesn't want a character for "not being Nintendo enough". your comment just reminded me of it.
I feel like a character has to have a sense of "Being Nintendo Enough" As your worded it. It only makes sense for Nintendo to add characters from companies they have worked with. For example. Master Chief has never been on a Nintendo console, and plopping him in smash is a big deal, to gain that kind of "trust" with the guys behind Halo, you gotta start off small, then build up. kind of like how (Not a toxic MC Fan, it's just a good example) Minecraft started off by getting a Nintendo port then they did some other stuff like much more system porting and a Mario Skin Pack for Minecraft. you gotta build up that level of trust, if that makes any sense.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash 4 literally had Yoshi mixed in with the other Mario characters in the CSS Screen.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:

But other than that. I think Yoshi probably was treated as it’s own thing because they didn’t want to affiliate it as a 3rd Mario character in the first game with only twelve characters.

It’s weird because Yoshi is canonically part of the Mario series and part of Mario’s lore come from those games. Yoshi can be easily considered a Mario character if Sakurai wanted to and most people would agree, the series are interwoven with each other.
Though not as much as :ultyoshi:, :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultwario:are also canonically part of the Mario series. It is better to have those 4 places in their own Sub-Mario series instead of having the Mario series end up looking like this...

...:ultmario::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:compared to the Zelda (:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:), Pokémon series (:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:), and Fire Emblem series (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin:ultcorrin:)

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Honestly, my only request is that the menus and the fighters CSS are fixed this time around because to be brutally honest everything related to smash 4 menus was freaking horrible

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
You say that, yet you're talking about who would be revealed at a primarily competitive event? This is literally the same train of thought of what audience Noct was revealed for.

I honestly doubt many competitive Smash players care THAT much about other fighting games, either. Ridley could honestly be argued as the "Competitive Choice" since many top players had him at the top of their lists (Well, for Melee, anyway), yet he was revealed for E3 over, say, a third party.
So what is your point?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
isn't it confirmed that the CSS is gonna be ordered by number anyway?
Mostly, what with the demo matching the website order. There's speculation that there's be no echos of the original 12 but I don't buy that part

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Who knows? No reveals were done at game conferences outside of E3 for Smash 4, so I wouldn't bank on anything.
Just to say, that was during the days of Smash 4. This is Smash Ultimate here. The rules for revealing characters might be different this time around, and they could reveal them outside of Directs. Of course, I may be wrong, and it probably is too early, but keep in mind that Nintendo Directs, the main ones covering console and portable games, have been fewer in number since Iwata died. There were only two main Directs in 2016 and 2017, not counting E3 and everything else. If this trend keeps up, I doubt we will see many reveals through Directs, not to mention, there has been only one Direct aside from E3 that was a main one this year so far.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What bothers me even more than the CSS is the messy stage selection screen.

Seriously, why is Suzaku Castle the first stage? Why is Moray Towers listed before Great Plateau Tower? My OCD can't handle this!

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
What bothers me even more than the CSS is the messy stage selection screen.

Seriously, why is Suzaku Castle the first stage? Why is Moray Towers listed before Great Plateau Tower? My OCD can't handle this!
Got to remember it was just the E3 build. So of course not everything has been finalized just yet

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's a scary thought - will we even be getting that many reveals before release?

If Sakurai was so annoyed that the SSE cutscenes got leaked, and now he's actually got things happening pretty secretly, will he want to "let us experience the joy of the Challenger Approaching screens without being spoiled?"

Gotta say, I'd much rather know who was gonna be in than have to wait till December to hear anything else...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've been wanting a CSS sorted by Smash seniority for a decade. You fools aren't taking it away from me!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ok thanks, not a noob or anything, just wasn't sure, this is my first time joining a smash community, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge regarding these terms xD
It's fine, It's fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom