• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Any new information would be pretty darn sweet about now.
I don't remember but how long after the Smash 4 reveal did we get some major news?

Wasn't it that we only got Newcomer reveals at Nintendo Directs?

Either way I got the feeling we'll only see something significant in a September Direct.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Holy crap, I didn't even think of King Hippo as a Smash fighter. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I mean, he would fit with the other characters pretty well.

Still, that "leak" doesn't have Geno. Sad face.
I'd be fine with another Punch-Out rep.

Also :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:It's page 1995!!! I claim it for Yoshi's Island!!! :ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
If the site doesn't drop a character today, that hurts the "November 9th" theory a ton, about them running out of characters to rehash at 3 a week until November 9th.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I don't remember but how long after the Smash 4 reveal did we get some major news?

Wasn't it that we only got Newcomer reveals at Nintendo Directs?
True newcommers were pretty spaced out, but there was also way more time between announcement to release date.
However the pics of the days were usually new stuff, even if they were minor.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If the site doesn't drop a character today, that hurts the "November 9th" theory a ton, about them running out of characters to rehash at 3 a week until November 9th.
Refresh my memory, which one is that?

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
I'm rather surprised that more people haven't mentioned Octolings in the fake leaks yet. I feel like they're a shoe-in at this point!
They already existed and were popular as far back as 2015, they're one of the easiest echoes to make, and even have no issues with moveset inaccuracies since they use the same weapons and attacks as Inklings.

And even if they somehow weren't part of the original project plan I could still see them managing to squeeze the Octolings in to promote the recent Octoling DLC in Splatoon 2. It'd basically only take a few texture changes and a hairstyle change to create them from the Inklings.

I doubt any leak without them at this point.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Holy crap, I didn't even think of King Hippo as a Smash fighter. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I mean, he would fit with the other characters pretty well.

Still, that "leak" doesn't have Geno. Sad face.
I don't like King Hippo as a fighter, just for my own personal reasons though.
macho.gif

1. King Hippo literally can't get knocked down without being K.O.'d, it's another "Captain Toad can't jump" scenario I can't see play out without it being contradictory and killing my soul.
2. Super Macho Man (and Bald Bull) are more significant antagonists in the series and the most reoccuring between the two
3. Super Macho Man is twice the final boss and in other games the boxer you face before the final challenge (Mike Tyson, Special Circuit, Mr. Sandman)
4. There's more character in SMM and BB, which is a key factor in all of the contending boxers in Punch-Out!! that differentiate racial stereotyping and funny joke jokes.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 150638
1. King Hippo literally can't get knocked down without being K.O.'d, it's another "Captain Toad can't jump" scenario I can't see play out without it being contradictory and killing my soul.
2. Super Macho Man (and Bald Bull) are more significant antagonists in the series and the most reoccuring between the two
3. Super Macho Man is twice the final boss and in other games the boxer you face before the final challenge (Mike Tyson, Special Circuit, Mr. Sandman)
4. There's more character in SMM and BB, which is a key factor in all of the contending boxers in Punch-Out!! that differentiate racial stereotyping and funny joke jokes.
Mike Tyson as the first non-Video game character.
We all thought it'd be Reggie, or Iwata, or even Goku. But nope, Mike Tyson.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Hypothetical: if both King K.Rool AND King Hippo were in the game, that would actually make a lot of sense. They're both heavyweight fighters, both have crowns (that could be thrown), both share a relatively similar body shape... anyone else have anymore connections between the two?

I mean jeez, King Hippo could be the Ganondorf to K.Rool's Captain Falcon. Don't mean to get overexcited again here, but this is the most believable leak to me so far, despite the fact that it piggybacks on the Vergeben leak again.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm rather surprised that more people haven't mentioned Octolings in the fake leaks yet. I feel like they're a shoe-in at this point!
They already existed and were popular as far back as 2015, they're one of the easiest echoes to make, and even have no issues with moveset inaccuracies since they use the same weapons and attacks as Inklings.

And even if they somehow weren't part of the original project plan I could still see them managing to squeeze the Octolings in to promote the recent Octoling DLC in Splatoon 2. It'd basically only take a few texture changes and a hairstyle change to create them from the Inklings.

I think an older fake leak mentioned them... But I don't remember exactly.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Leaks are always interesting to read, even if they're blatantly not true. I take to them as 'what-if' type scenarios.

I've seen a few with Slippy Toad listed, which is nice to see. He's my most wanted newcomer, despite his chances, and the fact that just about everyone of the leaks with or without him are fake.

As for that last batch of leaks, they sound awful.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
View attachment 150638
I still think the "Captain Toad can't jump" thing is another stupid meme made by detractors akin to Pre-Ultimate Ridley.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Octolings are within the top 15 characters mentioned. Now, they haven't been mentioned nearly as much as higher placers (only 8 times, tied with Bandana Dee and Isabelle).

I have changed my stance on them after the Octo Expansion.

I would like to play as Agent 8. She and I have been through some **** together. Like Move It Move It station and the secret boss fight. She'd be a secondary for sure.

Hypothetical: if both King K.Rool AND King Hippo were in the game, that would actually make a lot of sense. They're both heavyweight fighters, both have crowns (that could be thrown), both share a relatively similar body shape... anyone else have anymore connections between the two?

I mean jeez, King Hippo could be the Ganondorf to K.Rool's Captain Falcon. Don't mean to get overexcited again here, but this is the most believable leak to me so far, despite the fact that it piggybacks on the Vergeben leak again.
Metal Mario kills it alone.

Leaks are always interesting to read, even if they're blatantly not true. I take to them as 'what-if' type scenarios.

I've seen a few with Slippy Toad listed, which is nice to see. He's my most wanted newcomer, despite his chances, and the fact that just about everyone of the leaks with or without him are fake.

As for that last batch of leaks, they sound awful.
Slippy has only been mentioned in one leak. Not a few. Sorry. :/

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I still think the "Captain Toad can't jump" thing is another stupid meme made by detractors akin to Pre-Ultimate Ridley.
Except in this case, it's a concrete barrier to the character performing one of the most basic actions in the game instead of an arbitrary size cap.

Mind you, I say this as someone who was guilty of "Ridley-is-too-bigotry" myself.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Metal Mario is a silly concept as Dr. Mario already covers the slower, stronger Mario idea.

If Mario were to get a third version of the character (to equal Link) it'd have to be Paper Mario, Jump Man/Classic Mario, Baby Mario or Ron Jeremy.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
That's not a stupid meme, that's a key characteristic of the character. You can't compare it to Ridley because you can actually argue that being enormous is not necessarily one of Ridley's inherent characteristics.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I feel like if metal mario was in the game (no i do not think hes even possible given the metal box exists) i feel sakurai would have shown him during the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" announcement, as hes "sort of" a veteran from 64... just unplayable. it just seems like it would be a funny thing to point out if he was in the game that sakurai literally gave us EVERY smash fighter even ol' metal mario.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Except in this case, it's a concrete barrier to the character performing one of the most basic actions in the game instead of an arbitrary size cap.

Mind you, I say this as someone who was guilty of "Ridley-is-too-bigotry" myself.
Except Captain Toad can hop and has jumped in celebration in the Galaxy games, you know, his origin? It can be explained as him packing light for Smash or even that one unique moveset where he uses platforms for his jumps.

Besides, it's not like being faithful to the character is Sakurai's number 1 priority. We've had many cases of such.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Captain Toad not being able to jump is lore, though??? Remove the backpack or make a specific noting that his backpack is empty, and you're game. Say nothing about it and boy that's gonna rustle my jimmies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist, Crono, or Sora before her.
Jesus, who do you think my character is?!! I've only been touting him around since my very first post on this site!!!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Jesus, who do you think my character is?!! I've only been touting him around since my very first post on this site!!!
Well, you're obvious, Zinith!

It's Birdo, right? :troll:

I'm kidding I know it's Boshi.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Again, Ridley's few small appearances that are still fairly big can be conpared to the few games (notably Galaxy) where Captain Toad can jump. You can't claim it's different when both sides can be argued to be inconsistent with the lore.

Miss me with that.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.
Okay, getting really unlikely here!

Probably Shaymin and an Overwatch rep.
Shaymin would be awesome. A transforming grass/flying legendary! Regular Shaymin would be defensive, while Shaymin-S would be offensive. Lots of grass and flying type special attacks to choose from.
Overwatch has tons of potential for a rep, but unfortunately, Blizzard hasn't even considered putting Overwatch on the Switch so getting a rep is about as likely as getting Master Chief lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Again, Ridley's few small appearances that are still fairly big can be conpared to the few games (notably Galaxy) where Captain Toad can jump. You can't claim it's different when both sides can be argued to be inconsistent with the lore.
The hell are you on about? Captain Toad jumping was programmed and made before the claim that he can't jump was generated.
You know what that's like?
It's like saying this can't make the argument work. Look how small Ridley is. The too big argument clearly should've been nulled since 1986.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Except Captain Toad can hop and has jumped in celebration in the Galaxy games, you know, his origin? It can be explained as him packing light for Smash or even that one unique moveset where he uses platforms for his jumps.

Besides, it's not like being faithful to the character is Sakurai's number 1 priority. We've had many cases of such.
I mean, I'm not gonna say it'd be impossible to just ignore Captain Toad's inability to jump for the sake of a moveset, but something about the idea of purposefully misrepresenting a character's most defining and recognizable aspect just for the sake of shoehorning them into a platform fighter just rubs me the wrong way... and I don't even care for Captain Toad in particular!
Whether you like it or not, mate, not being able to jump has become one of Captain Toad's defining traits. Even if they hadn't thought that far in advance yet as of Galaxy, the fact stands that it's where the character is now. Designing and balancing him as a fighter while remaining true to that aspect of his character would be awkward to say the least, and dropping it completely would be more egregious in my book.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with another Punch-Out rep.

Also :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:It's page 1995!!! I claim it for Yoshi's Island!!! :ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi:
It'd be cool to have Doc Louie in here, but...

View attachment 150638
SMM must RELEASE THE BOGUS on Smash.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I would love to see Lloyd on a leak, even if it's fake.
A fake leak you say? Fine.

My uncle dad who works at Nintendo told me that Lloyd is in the game.

Because Nintendo is putting a C&D on super smash flash 2.

But they invited the guys from that game to work on Smash and every character from super Smash flash 2 will he added.

That’s right. They’re all there.
Luffy however will not be tournament legal hecause he has an infinite combo that Sakurai refuses to let be removed claiming it was be right thing for his nakama.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Captain Toad's inability to jump could be worked around with powerful specials.
Here's a quick idea that I thought of in a few minutes:
He could quickly (within 1-3 frames without lag) summon a rising propeller platform from Treasure Tracker below him with his Up+B that despawns after around two seconds, essentially serving as both a quick jump and a recovery. He could drop from the platform while it's rising to do a quick aerial or let the platform continue up for a recovery. Multiple could be on-stage at once.

He'd need a powerful moveset and attributes to make up for this weakness, but weaknesses like that are what makes for an interesting fighter! Nothing says that every fighter needs to have a traditional jump.

Sure, there are other characters that I'd rather have in over Captain Toad. I'm just saying that it's not impossible; a moveset could be created for almost any character.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

Oh God. So many.

Dragonite
Susie (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
Urbosa
Cooking Mama
Devil Jin
Sephiroth
Turok
And last but not least...The Prince from Katamari Damacy

Troykv

Smash Master
That's not a stupid meme, that's a key characteristic of the character. You can't compare it to Ridley because you can actually argue that being enormous is not necessarily one of Ridley's inherent characteristics.
Yeah; Ridley key traits are being cruel, ferocious, cunning and very loud

KMDP

Smash Legend
A fake leak you say? Fine.

My uncle dad who works at Nintendo told me that Lloyd is in the game.

Because Nintendo is putting a C&D on super smash flash 2.

But they invited the guys from that game to work on Smash and every character from super Smash flash 2 will he added.

That’s right. They’re all there.
Luffy however will not be tournament legal hecause he has an infinite combo that Sakurai refuses to let be removed claiming it was be right thing for his nakama.
Not only did they hire the Smash Flash guys, they also hired the Project M guys as well as the Brawl Minus guys.
Truly, the ultimate cluster**** Smash Bros.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would love to see Lloyd on a leak, even if it's fake.
Well, for what it's worth, my sources say Lloyd Irving was on the list of considerations for an additional Bamco rep. Whether or not that implies he made it on the final list is probably something we may have to wait for.

Also, Goku is in.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Any number of Pokémon. Weavile, Sceptile, Scizor, Typhlosion, Blacephalon, the list goes on.

Also Maxwell from Scribblenauts.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The only reason he can't jump is because he's weighed down from overpacking. This doesn't imply he can't, as again, he can just pack lightly.

You know what his costume in Super Mario Maker shows us? He's able to jump. If he couldn't, how would he get in such inconspicuous places in Odyssey? Captain Toad has a side-mode and one game to his name where such a gimmick is in place.

Besides, I also think Sakurai can easily find ways around it. We're undermining jist how creative he is and also how willing he is to not care about what a character can or cannot do.

I see little reason why this should be considered important. That screenshot can easily be explained as them not knowing what they wanted to do with Ridley as a character too. He's normally and consistently big, yeah?

These arguments can be made both ways because, again, the situation is similar.

To clarify: I never thought Ridley was too big. I thought it waa stupid, myself; I consider this argument the same. You can argue it both ways for both characters if you want to argue inconsistency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom