• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.
Noivern! (aka the best Pokemon)
Also Maxwell from scribblenauts, Blaze the cat, and Gardevoir.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.
My icon is Bonk.

Take a wild guess.

Also Nester.

And Fawful

And Vaati

And Pico

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I'd like to take this time to ask everyone who secretly wants to play as a Goomba to please step forward.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That one was wrong, not necessarily fake. As far as I know we don't have any confirmation that Chorus Kids were planned. I know Chrom was considered though. I'll give that Gematsu leak source likely did have official information, but even with that it was wrong on its most ambitious claim.

I don't think Vergeben is anywhere near the level off knowledge and accuracy the Gematsu leak was though. If Minecraft or Simon confirmed, I'll start to take it seriously.
Fair enough.

And yeah, Vergeban is no where close to Gematsu even if we give him credit for Ridley and Snake (since those two had rumors circulating beforehand). He needs a "Wii Fit" moment to really sell his validity (if he has any), especially since he has a very spotty record to begin with.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh God. So many.

Dragonite
Susie (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
Urbosa
Cooking Mama
Devil Jin
Sephiroth
Turok
And last but not least...The Prince from Katamari Damacy
I'd say that, considering the logo used next to Cloud on the Smash website's character list is the Final Fantasy VII one (I'm not talking about the "FF" that represents the Final Fantasy series in-game), if they go for another Final Fantasy character it'll probably be Sephiroth. Just sayin' :)

Of course, that's assuming they even go for another Final Fantasy character.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Noivern! (aka the best Pokemon)
Also Maxwell from scribblenauts, Blaze the cat, and Gardevoir.
omg I was going to mention Noivern in my reply but didn't want to mention two Pokemon as my answer so I chose something else instead.

YES. I'd love Noivern.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Cross-Post from other forum. It's my way to try to get more people to appreciate how much Sakura and his teams have been working so hard on. People were so dismissive of their hard works because "lol it's a port."

Going with what people were saying that Smash Ultimate development actually started during mid-2016 so I presume that it would be like March-June 2016, so that would be like two years and few months developments.

Okay, I'm going to details what could happens and what could take up so many resources, etc. We need to keep it in our minds right now with the fact that they barely shown any single player contents and other contents. I'm going to play with hypothetically guesses.

• We got everyone coming back from Smash 3DS and Wii U (including DLC)
  • We got all missing veterans that people have been clamoring for so it also required good amount of resources to rebuild them for a brand new game. So we got 7 characters coming back after their long absence, so that pushed our rosters to 65 numbers.
  • Currently we have 3 newcomers, which are Daisy, Inkling and Ridley. Of course we are expecting more newcomers and echo fighters.
  • All characters' models should be brand new (citation please if I'm wrong on this information)
  • All characters are getting reworked and balanced. Also most characters are getting new animations and moves
  • The policy of Final Smash have been changed so some characters are getting brand new final smash because of that so they can be snappy
  • Gameplay have been tweaked and some mechanic has been added, so it also required a lot of works to revisit all characters to make sure that they work correctly and fit in.
  • All Classic stages are getting "remastered" so over 80 stages have been worked on and the details have been incredibly noticeable if you compare it between two different pictures. Still waiting for final numbers of classic stages
  • We got "5" new stages (counting Final Destination and Battlefield) so it's fair for us to expecting even more new stages so the final numbers is still unsure. I think it's fair to expect something from Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc.
  • Also we know that we are going to have 4 different modes per stage, Battlefield, Final Destination, Regular Version, and Hazard Toggle version
  • Make sure that 8 Players function very well (with some new stages, Ice Climbers, etc)
  • New ATs and Pokeball Pokemon

That's it for those confirmed information but now I'm going to speculate and predict what could happens. I'm fair that single players contents are going to require a lot of resources as well.

• Single Player contents so we have to expect some kind of Break the Target, Event Matches, Home Run Stadiums, Adventure Mode/Story Mode, All-Stars Mode, etc. It's plausible that we could see Smash Run HD coming back with online service. Also there are plausible new mode(s) that can be included, along with old modes like Boss Battles, etc.
  • Multiplayer Modes. It's like one of most important feature of Smash Bros so they can't afford to mess that up!
  • Online Modes
  • Trophies (even most of them were ripped but they have to work hard on those many models)
  • Songs and Music (They said that this game is going to have many songs. I Believe that they said that we would have more songs than ever before.)
  • Mii Costumes? Mii Customs?
  • Some kind of Chronicles, etc
  • Stage Builder?
  • And many more that I can't even think of at the moment
The reason why they haven't announced any single player contents because I think it's going to be a huge features of the game. There is a good chance that it could be mixed of adventure mode and story mode for the fans to enjoy and unlock characters at streamlining and fast pace.

When I took al look at the roster, and it seems really a lot of works and I'm amazed how much they have done in two years.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'd like to take this time to ask everyone who secretly wants to play as a Goomba to please step forward.
Stepping forward. For any henchman/minion.

Also, I saw another captain toad can’t jump.

No one thinks toadette can’t jump, she’d likely be an alt, and can’t jump in captain toad’s game.

She jumps in other games.

He can jump.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So my hot take on the "Captain Toad Can't Jump" topic.

I'm pretty sure Captain Toad not jumping isn't what makes him who he is and most certainly isn't why people love the character. If he can suddenly hop around no one is actually going to complain. Just like people don't complain that Pikachu or Ganondorf can pike up a Pokeball and be a Pokemon Trainer

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Would you guys pay for a story expansion like the Octoling Expansion? Like, $20-$30 solely for a new story mode with some costumes to unlock or maybe a popular character at the end? Of course it would have cutscenes and an actual story and all that.

I surely would. After the Octoling Expansion and the upcoming Torna expansion to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I have confidence in Nintendo and DLC campaigns.

Also I really liked the Subspace Emissary

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I saw a really cool gimmick for Captain Toad that as he gets hit, items fall out of his bag. So when he is on 0% his jump is seriously awful, but when he hits around 120% his jump is normal.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I didn't even know people liked Captain Toad all that much. I was never a Toad fan in the first place so I never even considered him being a character people wanted.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Would you guys pay for a story expansion like the Octoling Expansion? Like, $20-$30 solely for a new story mode with some costumes to unlock or maybe a popular character at the end? Of course it would have cutscenes and an actual story and all that.

I surely would. After the Octoling Expansion and the upcoming Torna expansion to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I have confidence in Nintendo and DLC campaigns.

Also I really liked the Subspace Emissary
I want a new subspace. If I gotta pay for it that's fine, they've already done so much already.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well; depends what are you talking about with your levels of unlikeness... Because my most wanted character isn't exactly in a great sittuation. But I only actively support her despite that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I saw a really cool gimmick for Captain Toad that as he gets hit, items fall out of his bag. So when he is on 0% his jump is seriously awful, but when he hits around 120% his jump is normal.
The Captain Toad v Little Mac matchup would be.... interesting.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That would make him an awful character. He'd just be zoned out and by the time he functions like a normal character he's a hit away from death.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I didn't even know people liked Captain Toad all that much. I was never a Toad fan in the first place so I never even considered him being a character people wanted.
Toads are a big part of the Mario series and now the Toads have a popular character that has been seen in multiple main-series Mario games and even playable a full spinoff game of his own!

I'm not surprised there's demand for him now. I'd like his inclusion.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

Both Zeke and Morag from XC2 are very high in my desires to play, far far more than Rex, and Melia would be an excellent addition for me. I could go on about KOS-MOS forever, also very high on my wishes. Urbosa, Tingle, and the Great Fairy all from Zelda are characters I would actively seek to play, and I'd love to play one of the dancer-type units from FE, probably Azura with her spear but Olivia could be fun too. Basilio from Awakening would be A+ as well. Any Super Monkey Ball character would be hilariously fun, my personal pick would be Gongon but obviously any work for the same roles. That's a good chunk of the characters from my ludicrous list of wishes to play in Smash, none much else come to my mind right now.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry. But, I see all these leaks around the internet saying shadow will be playable. I personally do not think we will get 2 characters from the same 3rd party series.

Maybe I'm wrong, but at the end of the day this is a Nintendo game with guests. There are Nintendo characters that should be in before a 3rd party series gets a second character.

Again, this is my opinion. I don't post much, but it's something I strongly believe.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It makes it funnier when Toads already have a legacy of having the worst hops; Toad himself would've had just as much of a bad air-game as Little Mac if we wanted to stay true to his character.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Toads are a big part of the Mario series and now the Toads have a popular character that has been seen in multiple main-series Mario games and even playable a full spinoff game of his own!

I'm not surprised there's demand for him now. I'd like his inclusion.
I mean, I know he's a big part of the series, but I never considered him an interesting enough character to make it in. Then again Peach is in the game and most of her appearances she's kidnapped.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm sorry. But, I see all these leaks around the internet saying shadow will be playable. I personally do not think we will get 2 characters from the same 3rd party series.
What else would Sakurai pull out of from SEGA that currently retains popularity/relevancy? Kiryu?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I believe Seasonal stage lists will the a thing in where stages rotate every so often.
that's gross. the reason its gross is because it decreases the incentive to actually learn stages. its a more extreme version of what happened to mii players. if something is legal only some of the time and others all of the time why learn the some to the level you learn the rest?
my personal idea (although it will never happen) is do it like soulcalibur and tekken. default random of a list of legal stages on round one. Then no repeats and one ban on each successive round.

but after almost ten years im sick of seeing some variety of smashville and its awful music

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Put Captain Toad in a mech that can jump
It'd be about as much of missing the point of Captain Toad to me as letting him jump at all anyway.

Of course, I don't hold a special attachment to him- as far as I care, the way Toad has been upgraded for the princesses has me satisfied.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Found another leak. More general Nintendo related than Smash, but interesting nonetheless
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422356853/#422356853
Nintendo stuff

So from my sources I’ve picked up a few interesting things y’all would find interesting.

>Punch Out Switch

A Switch game and sequel to the Wii’s punch-Out.Little mac is back and ready to take on all challengers after being unrightfully striped of his title.Mac with the assistance of Doc and a new female love interest he will fight his way back up to the top.I am hearing there we’ll be cameos from one or two other Nintendo characters the ones I’m hearing are Wario or King Dedede.

>Legend of Two Heroes: Savior of Two Worlds

A crossover of the legend of Zelda series and the kid Icarus series.Palutena calls upon the goddesses of hyrule for aid when a darkness to evil for pit to handle alone.Here they bring in Link and it’s up to the two heroes to fight against this darkness to save not just sky world but hyrule as well. Gameplay similar to kid Icarus uprising with a more focus on co-op and puzzle solving.

>Wario Land 4 Remake

A remake of Wario land 4 from the GBA. Graphics are more colorful and toned. If I could compare it to anything it’s like the more recent shantae game. The gameplay is the same just upgraded. It’s stated to be an early spring game.

>Smash Bros

I don’t know all of the characters only 1 and I know some stages are returning

>Shadow The Hedgehog(Not an Echo)

>Fountain of Dreams,Peach’s Castle,Paper Mario,Mute City,Dream Land,Delfino Plaza,Pirate Ship,Yoshi Island(Melee), Mushroom kingdom 64

Honestly the Legend of Two Heroes game sounds hype AF. I would love a to see more Nintendo crossovers like that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Saying toads are a big part of the Mario series is like saying Bokoblins are a big part of Zelda series.
While not technically wrong, I doubt most people would want to play as a bokoblin.

(And yes, people who will inevitably reply to me to say they'd play as a bokoblin... you are not most people.)

If Captain Toad's going to be considered for Smash, he's going to be considered because he's Captain Toad, not because of the "legacy of toads" or whatever.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well; depends what are you talking about with your levels of unlikeness... Because my most wanted character isn't exactly in a great sittuation. But I only actively support her despite that.
Yeah, Micaiah would be a suitable pick for this criteria.

She can be somewhat divisive among the fandom, so there are other 'more popular' characters for them to pick from and her game is the better part of a decade old.

Man, I made myself sad. At least all my picks this game have popularity.

For the record, my picks are...
Isaac, Tails, Agumon, Shadow, Nightmare/Siegfried, Vaati, Crash, Tifa

The roster this time is pretty much perfect for me, add Isaac and everything else would just be icing on the cake, which is why so many of them are third parties.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Saying toads are a big part of the Mario series is like saying Bokoblins are a big part of Zelda series.
While not technically wrong, I doubt most people would want to play as a bokoblin.

(And yes, people who will inevitably reply to me to say they'd play as a bokoblin... you are not most people.)

If Captain Toad's going to be considered for Smash, he's going to be considered because he's Captain Toad, not because of the "legacy of toads" or whatever.
Obviously Heff T is the superior Toad.
1530242227451.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom