• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
A KI / LoZ crossover sounds legitimately amazing, but I'm not sure how they'd reconcile the talkative KI cast with the silent protagonist Link. It'd be a little jarring, I think.
They could play it up for laughs. I dunno, it's possible. Paper Mario has some amazing dialogue, yet Mario himself never says a word.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion: Every Wario Land 4 boss has as much personality as the WarioWare characters and all of them are better bosses than anything in mainline Mario. Yes, even the eggplant and especially weird two headed cat-bat abomination that is definitely the result of a drug trip.
The drug-trip Wario stuff is...
It's like they found out that that sceret level at the end of Wario Land 2 was popular and went WAAAAAAAY overboard with replicating it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
While Mario enemies like the Shy Guy are iconic, they shouldn't be playable as far as Smash. You may not realize it, Mario still has a handful of characters that can be thrown n Smash because, he's Mario.

I wouldn't overlook Fawful too much. He CAN pop up.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
The drug-trip Wario stuff is...
It's like they found out that that sceret level at the end of Wario Land 2 was popular and went WAAAAAAAY overboard with replicating it.
Wario Land 4 feels like a game the developers didn't think anyone would see so they just put whatever the **** they felt like in it. Everything is weird and ugly, but charming somehow. There no real theme and none of the ideas make sense on paper, but somehow the finished product feels coherent.

Edit: for the initiated and confused, here's an example of WL4's bizarre majesty: one of the bosses is a giant walking eggplant with a sleepy expression and a raggedy Andy looking doll who gets bloodshot eyes, a mouth that takes up most of his body, and razor sharp teeth when angry.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Wario Land 4 was definitely a really fun game, regardless of how it looked. It was really well designed and had a nice sense of charm to it as well.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing something from WL4 in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I've been lowkey championing Sephiroth for the last few days. XD Though I'd rather have Tifa (AKA "Cloud's Girlfriend" AKA "MMA Barkeep Waifu")

I've been out of the loop of the Fire Emblem fandom for a while. (BTW, I like Micaiah, but I haven't played Radiant Dawn since it came out).
Going outside of Final Fantasy VII, I’d love Rikku, Lightning, or even Noctis.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If we got more Final Fantasy somehow I'd love Cecil, i'm a huge sucker for FF4 and my boy.

I wouldn't say no to Crono either, man why does SE have to have so many good choices?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Going outside of Final Fantasy VII, I’d love Rikku, Lightning, or even Noctis.
Tidus would be my most wanted named FF character. I could HA HA HA on people when I beat them, and he could be a lightning-quick swordie with some blitzball moves. He'd be fun. Watch Dissidia Final Fantasy NT gameplay of him to see him in fast paced action.

I would also like Black Mage, and honestly I think he'd be ideal out of other potential FF characters.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Found this hypothetical story mode on Reddit and wanted to get y'alls opinion on it.

Basically, the concept, as the OP described it, is "what if Ultimate's story mode was just split into a bunch of smaller stories where you start as one of the original 12 and go through their story, and as you advance through, you get more characters and advance through their story. But you also don't know who's going to be a part of each story until you play it."

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wario Land 4 feels like a game the developers didn't think anyone would see so they just put whatever the **** they felt like in it. Everything is weird and ugly, but charming somehow. There no real theme and none of the ideas make sense on paper, but somehow the finished product feels coherent.

Edit: for the initiated and confused, here's an example of WL4's bizarre majesty: one of the bosses is a giant walking eggplant with a sleepy expression and a raggedy Andy looking doll who gets bloodshot eyes, a mouth that takes up most of his body, and razor sharp teeth when angry.
All of the Wario Land games feel experimental in some way.
Wario Land 1... well... was a Mario game where Mario only makes a 5 second cameo at the end.
Wario Land 2 had the branching path story (I always loved that one of the branching paths was that Wario couldn't be bothered to get up to turn off his alarm, so the Pirate Gooms come in and flood his castle while he's sleeping).
Wario Land 3 built on the power-up system Wario Land 2 had, while also having that Day/Night cycle and minor Metroidvania stuff (IIRC).
Wario Land 4 was a drug trip, it built even more on Wario Land 3, but now they had 16-bits!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wow, all these FF characters and not one mention of Ramza?

He chucks rocks at you and shouts at you to pump himself up.
Truly, he is the ultimate hero.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Found this hypothetical story mode on Reddit and wanted to get y'alls opinion on it.

Basically, the concept, as the OP described it, is "what if Ultimate's story mode was just split into a bunch of smaller stories where you start as one of the original 12 and go through their story, and as you advance through, you get more characters and advance through their story. But you also don't know who's going to be a part of each story until you play it."
I'd enjoy it. Unique and a nice homage to the OGs who started it all.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I was just on that thread about 10 minutes ago. I really like the idea. Someone there suggested that each character's plot ended with their antagonist, but I think it'd be cooler if they mixed everything up. Like Mario fights Ganondorf, DK fights Wolf, etc.

Of course, I think they should have an endgame story after you unlock all of these characters where you fight Master Hand/a new main villain and unlock one final fighter or something.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

So I can essentially play a Smash story mode where Yoshi can be considered the hero if I choose to? Sign me up!!!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mario Reps you say?

-cracks knuckles-

My speciality.

We still left for Smash including currently dis-confirmed characters these individuals who are iconic enough, fan wanted, important enough, or have a potential for a moveset to the series to add:

Toad/Captain Toad, Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Fawful, Koopa Troopa/Goomba/Shy Guy, Kamek (if not added as a Yoshi rep), Pauline, E. Gadd (though technically he's more Luigi's character, but eh), King Boo/Boos, and Wart.

And the thing is? The series will continue to grow and this list will only grow bigger and bigger.

Mario's never hurting for a potential rep.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So I can essentially play a Smash story mode where Yoshi can be considered the hero if I choose to? Sign me up!!!
Yoshi gets to be the hero of his own story, completely separate from the rest of the original 12. Truly a day in the limelight.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Happy I randomly dropped into the thread just in time for people to be talking about Wario Land 4 a game I think is absolutely fantastic. There is a near 0% chance anything from that game will ever show up in anything ever again but... I want it soooooo bad. Even just a few music tracks like a palm tree paradise remix or something.

Anyway, Golden Diva for smash! Agh, but she's too big...

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was just on that thread about 10 minutes ago. I really like the idea. Someone there suggested that each character's plot ended with their antagonist, but I think it'd be cooler if they mixed everything up. Like Mario fights Ganondorf, DK fights Wolf, etc.

Of course, I think they should have an endgame story after you unlock all of these characters where you fight Master Hand/a new main villain and unlock one final fighter or something.
Tone down his moveset and make Tabuu the final fighter.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Mario Reps you say?

-cracks knuckles-

My speciality.

We still left for Smash including currently dis-confirmed characters these individuals who are iconic enough, fan wanted, important enough, or have a potential for a moveset to the series to add:

Toad/Captain, Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Fawful, Koopa Troopa/Goomba, Kamek (if not added as a Yoshi rep), Pauline, E. Gadd (though technically he's more Luigi's character, but eh), King Boo/Boos, and Wart.

And the thing is? The series will continue to grow and this list will only grow bigger and bigger.

Mario's never hurting for a potential rep.
Cackletta/Bowletta never get any love. Fawful getting in is like Bowser Jr. making it in before Bowser. (Yes I know Fawful is bigger overall. I'm bias.)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here's an idea for Captain Toad: since he can't jump, why don't springboards just pop out from under him whenever the jump button is pressed? He could even be flailing his little limbs with every jump he makes, almost like he's struggling to suddenly get a hold of himself while falling. Plus, lots of characters are masters at yanking things out of thin air in this series, so it wouldn't be too far out.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Tone down his moveset and make Tabuu the final fighter.
If a playable Tabuu can't karate chop the air so hard that it sends out devastating shockwaves that cover the stage in rapid succession, then I don't want a playable Tabuu. He should be able to Witch Time Witch Time. He better be OP as ****.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Honestly, that sounds super cool.
Whether or not it could happen is up for debate, but now that that concept has been planted into my head, I really want it.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

This would be a fun discussion just speculating which characters would be unlocked by each. Would take a while to try to list every character with each one.

But you have the obvious like their respective series characters. But also some neat impact ideas like Mario coming across former console rival Sonic, Captain Falcon or Samus have one of their bounties being Solid Snake or Ryu, Donkey Kong and Little Mac, etc.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok so question. A Bethesda character gets in. Who would you rather it be?

The Wanderer - Fallout
The Doom Slayer - Doom
The Dragonborn - Skyrim

Me, personally, I'd prefer the Doom Slayer.
That one's easy.

Fallout's not been on a Ninty console, so it probably shouldn't. The other two are here to prove that Nintendo's ready to play with the big boys.

But we've got enough Space Marines in the roster. Give Doomguy an AT, and leave the Dragonborn to take on the fight. Definitely my most wanted by a long shot.

Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.
See above.

Also I'd love Urbosa most out of the four Champions; she and Midna are the only Zelda one-offs that really resonated with me.

Found another leak. More general Nintendo related than Smash, but interesting nonetheless

>Legend of Two Heroes: Savior of Two Worlds

A crossover of the legend of Zelda series and the kid Icarus series.Palutena calls upon the goddesses of hyrule for aid when a darkness to evil for pit to handle alone.Here they bring in Link and it’s up to the two heroes to fight against this darkness to save not just sky world but hyrule as well. Gameplay similar to kid Icarus uprising with a more focus on co-op and puzzle solving.

I hate Kid Icarus with a fiery passion that consumes all. That cringey little ***** keeps showing up my favorite series in Smash, and I do not need him showing up in the actual game itself.

What the Zelda series should do is give us one final DLC pack for Hyrule Warriors, with the Champions playable, so if (when) they aren't in Smash, we can still get a chance to Urbosa's Fury a horde of Bokoblins.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Serious question that will sound like a joke: You know what would make Smash Ultimate the most Ultimateliest? Playable Master Hand. No, not as a playable boss. Scaled him down to roughly Ridley size, have him hover constantly, make him affected by knockback, give him a ridiculous unlock condition so it takes a bit for people to find out he's in.

Anyone else think this would be cool?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's an idea for Captain Toad: since he can't jump, why don't springboards just pop out from under him whenever the jump button is pressed? He could even be flailing his little limbs with every jump he makes, almost like he's struggling to suddenly get a hold of himself while falling. Plus, lots of characters are masters at yanking things out of thin air in this series, so it wouldn't be too far out.
Building on that, give C. Toad the Castlevania jump. Once you're airborne of your own volition, you are moving that way.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I've been out of the loop of the Fire Emblem fandom for a while. (BTW, I like Micaiah, but I haven't played Radiant Dawn since it came out).
I can understand why.

Nice! But I guess that isn't enought to make you visit the Micaiah thread?

Radiant Dawn is a weird experience; but quite enjoyable if you're ready for some strange decisions.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
If a playable Tabuu can't karate chop the air so hard that it sends out devastating shockwaves that cover the stage in rapid succession, then I don't want a playable Tabuu. He should be able to Witch Time Witch Time. He better be OP as ****.
Should he really be OP if he wasn't even the most OP character in Brawl? :metaknight:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

Oooh, I'd be really down for this. Sounds cool~

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I hate Kid Icarus with a fiery passion that consumes all. That cringey little ***** keeps showing up my favorite series in Smash, and I do not need him showing up in the actual game itself.

What the Zelda series should do is give us one final DLC pack for Hyrule Warriors, with the Champions playable, so if (when) they aren't in Smash, we can still get a chance to Urbosa's Fury a horde of Bokoblins.
Damn dude what the hell did Pit do to you?

Thanks, but no thanks. It kinda cuts out possibly dynamic character "storylines", I think it'd be far easier if it was like SSE where it was a small band of ragteam characters that slowly but surely built up a large roster of the whole team in the endgame.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, I'm cool with whatever story mode we end up with at this point at long as we have those amazing CG-animated cutscenes like in SSE. Those were absolutely breathtaking, and it would be a real shame if they were reserved exclusively for reveal trailers again this time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly, I'm cool with whatever story mode we end up with at this point at long as we have those amazing CG-animated cutscenes like in SSE. Those were absolutely breathtaking, and it would be a real shame if they were reserved exclusively for reveal trailers again this time.
I'm still skeptical on the SSE thing happening, both because of the development time and the fact Sakurai was Sakur-sodium cholr-ai when he talked about how he got upsetti over people uploaded SSE's cutscenes online.

I do have a proposal of my own about an Ultimate Adventure mode, but I need to finish all the typesettings and actually write it out. Embarrass

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
If there is a story mode, I hope the characters actually talk. Those SSE cutscenes were really awkward.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can understand why.
Well, it's nothing to do with the fandom, that's for sure, I just... you know... fell of the wagon, so to speak. My top 3 favourite Fire Emblem games are FE7, Fates and FE6 (Echoes is no. 4, it was weird but grew on me).
Nice! But I guess that isn't enought to make you visit the Micaiah thread?
I like Micaiah like I like most of Fire Emblem's cast save for my favourites (which is generally positive). The only characters I don't care for are the villains of the week and the hate sinks (as in the ones you aren't meant to like). I'll consider coming to the Micaiah thread, who knows, you may convert me. ;)
Radiant Dawn is a weird experience; but quite enjoyable if you're ready for some strange decisions.
The thing about Radiant Dawn is I feel compelled to play Path of Radiance before it, and both take forever so I inevitably have another game come out that takes priority.
I wanted to get the true ending of RD, but that's... a few too many hoops to jump through in a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom