• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
So out of the characters listed, who does everyone intend to try as potential mains? I have a list going on my phone with the characters I'm interested enough in to try out.

My current list of characters I want to try seriously is:

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
5. Pokemon Trainer (Maybe Ivysaur specifically, but I'll try them all)
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
1. :ultridley:
2. :ultness: has been in my rotation every Smash
3.:ultshulk:
4.:ultjigglypuff:
5.:ultwolf:
6.:ultpichu:
7.:ultzelda:Love Zelda, hated TP design. Actually made me not play her in Brawl/Sm4sh. Petty, I know.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I didn't really think much of this at first, but Knuckles uses the homing attack as an assist trophy... Has Knuckles ever even used the homing attack in the Sonic series before?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So out of the characters listed, who does everyone intend to try as potential mains? I have a list going on my phone with the characters I'm interested enough in to try out.

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
I’m sticking mainly with:

1. :ultrobin
2. :ultlucina:
3. :ultzelda:
4. :ultcorrin:
5. :ultbowserjr:
6. :ultdaisy:
7. :ultpichu:
8. :ultlink:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
1. Link (I love Breath of the Wild a lot, so I plan to dedicate more time than ever at mastering Link's playstyle)
2. Daisy (Peach is already a main of mine, so it'll be an easy transition)
3. Wolf (One of my Brawl favorites; I'll have to adjust to the new physics to play him well again)
4. Zelda (I liked playing as Zelda in past games, but I had no intention of getting good with her until now)
5. Ike (Has a lot of good changes that I want to test out; also his new voice is great)

Other than that, Marth, Ness, Peach and Pit will most likely be mains of mine once again. Though, I'm excited to try everyone out to be honest.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Also, on that note, while I do really like "The Last of His Kind" and "Robotic Obliterating Buddy" I would have loved it if one of R.O.B.'s boxing ring titles had referred to him as "The Subspace Emissary".

I think that would have been super cool.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
1. :ultmarth:
2.:ultshulk:
3.:ultike:
4.:ultpokemontrainer:
5.:ultinkling: (Replace with Octolings if they're an Echo)
6.:ultcloud:
7.:ultpit:

Edit: I was born on this page. Nifty.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sorry 90s kids, you're out of the game.
2000s kids will rise up and bring Minecraft to Smash. Fortnite is the 2010s so prepare yourself

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
:ultzelda: takes top priority
And :ultpeach: as well

That being said I'm excitied to pick up :ultwolf: again, I'd love to main :ultshulk: assuming he's buffed, :ultzss: looks the same which is good for me, I wanna try out :ultpokemontrainer:, especially ivysaur, and :ultridley: looks ****ing incredible.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Edit: I was born on this page. Nifty.
I missed my birth year two pages ago.
Pokemon Trainer looks really good this time, can't wait to try him.
I had zero interest in Pokemon Trainer in Brawl because of the Stamina and stuff, but in this game, I think I might end up being a dedicated Pokemon Trainer main.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Oh hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , I was searching around on 4chan and found more (probably fake) leaks, not sure if you managed to get all of these.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422277774/new-smash-bros-imgur-leak
https://imgur.com/a/AvzKoDJ

Go guess it, /v/.
>one image has two characters going to be announced in this date.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422334946/the-ultimate-smash-leak
My source worked at Bandai Namco and was on the former balancing team for patches 1.0.6 to 1.1.7 which is now a core part of Sakurai's main team. The old team reverted many of their past changes and are adding new changes in their place, but it's not bad, expect characters like Sheik and Diddy to feel stronger in some ways and weaker in others. Sakurai is taking a bigger personal role in balancing the game instead of just overseeing everything, much more like he did in Brawl and Melee, he is very interested in learning about the competitive scene recently. Bayonetta is indeed getting additional nerfs, mostly adding more lag to her specials if she misses (Witch Time, Witch Twist), and reducing kill power of Up air. Most characters are getting buffed or nerfed as you'd expect, although strangely, Yoshi is getting nerfed overall, Sakurai felt he was too strong on For Glory. Diddy Kong is getting buffed, my source and friends tried stopping it but Sakurai doesn't get why Diddy is good as is and thinks he needs more power.
Post questions about characters and I'll try to answer them individually.

Also, here are your Newcomers:
>Simon
>Steve
>Tails (Sonic Echo)
>Geno
>Isabelle (Villager Echo)
>King K. Rool

And yes, Sakurai has heard about Waluigi but he will not be in the base game, DLC is still up in the air.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422305878/ignore-those-other-fake-leaks-this-is-the-real

Ignore those other fake leaks. This is the real deal.

>New stages:
Ultra Space (Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon)
Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
Ganon's Tower (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
New Los Angeles (Xenoblade Chronicles X)

>New characters:
Ashley
Elma
Decidueye
King K. Rool
Paper Mario

It's honestly insane how much of these we're getting.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Found this hypothetical story mode on Reddit and wanted to get y'alls opinion on it.

Basically, the concept, as the OP described it, is "what if Ultimate's story mode was just split into a bunch of smaller stories where you start as one of the original 12 and go through their story, and as you advance through, you get more characters and advance through their story. But you also don't know who's going to be a part of each story until you play it."
Decided to take a shot at this. Challenged myself to give each character at least four characters of the currently confirmed roster. But naturally it is impossible to balance it all. And there may be some shaky reasons of why some characters are chosen because I did kind of have to do a process of elimination type thing for some of these.

Mario - Peach, Bowser, Sonic, Mr. Game and Watch (4)

- Mario faces fellow series reps, Console rival, and the first main character of a series of Nintendo games

Donkey Kong - Diddy Kong, Pac-Man, Little Mac, Ike (4)

- DK faces partner, Fellow arcade character Pac-Man, Little Mac because of fights in Punch Out, and Ike... for Heavyweights I guess? Idk probably first of the process of elimination type stuff

Link - Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, Cloud, Young Link (5)

- All those Zelda reps, plus the whole Ocarina of Time Vs. FF7 Debate

Samus - Snake, Mega Man, Ridley, Pit (4)

- Bounty on Snake as I mentioned before, Arm cannon fight with Mega Man, Ridley is a duh, and Kid Icarus was a Metroid-like game

Yoshi - Olimar, Bowser Jr., Corrin, Shulk (4)

- Olimar thinks Yoshi is a threat to his pikmin? Bowser Jr. kinda mistaken for Baby Bowser for Yoshi's Island memories? Corrin's dragon form? Yoshi being a natural creature on the Bionis for Shulk? Was kinda hard here

Kirby - Meta Knight, King Dedede, Ice Climbers, Palutena (4)

- Kirby reps, plus Ice Kirby being very similar to when he inhales the Ice Climbers, and Palutena for Sakurai fun idk

Fox - Falco, ROB, Wolf, Duck Hunt (4)

- Series reps, ROB for the ROB64 partner they have on the Great Fox, and fellow Canine with aiming properties

Pikachu - Pichu, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Robin (4-6)

- Series reps, and battle of Electric using characters

Luigi - Daisy, Dr. Mario, Bayonetta, Dark Pit (4)

- More series reps particularly Daisy being seen as Luigi's girlfriend, An unlockable Mario for the sibling rivalry, Bayonetta and Dark Pit I guess being scary characters in Luigi mind that he comes across at Luigi's Mansion

Ness - Lucas, Toon Link, Villager, Inklings (4)

- Young characters, that's about it

Captain Falcon - Ryu, Lucina, Roy, Marth (4)

- Bounty on Ryu, Lucina in relation to the Smash 4 trailer, but I guess Marth and Roy come to the rescue instead of Robin this time?

Jigglypuff - Lucario, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters (4-6)

- Jigglypuff dreams of having her singing on the stages. Though she comes across a wild Lucario and Greninja, then goes to a Gym where the Trainer is, and finally the Miis representing the crowd that Jigglypuff takes the stage for and made to go to sleep after the performance (And probably drawing on their faces too)

MainJPW

M.T.A

1. Inklings
2. Pichu
3. Palutena
4. Ice Climbers
6. Ridley
7. Shulk
8. Wolf
1. Lucas
2. Wolf
3. Sonic
4. Wario
5. Ridley
6. Captain Falcon
7. Inkling
8. Ness

Of the ones revealed at least.

(P.S. 2000's kids unite!)
More like 2000’s babies.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , I was searching around on 4chan and found more (probably fake) leaks, not sure if you managed to get all of these.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422277774/new-smash-bros-imgur-leak
https://imgur.com/a/AvzKoDJ

Go guess it, /v/.
>one image has two characters going to be announced in this date.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422334946/the-ultimate-smash-leak
My source worked at Bandai Namco and was on the former balancing team for patches 1.0.6 to 1.1.7 which is now a core part of Sakurai's main team. The old team reverted many of their past changes and are adding new changes in their place, but it's not bad, expect characters like Sheik and Diddy to feel stronger in some ways and weaker in others. Sakurai is taking a bigger personal role in balancing the game instead of just overseeing everything, much more like he did in Brawl and Melee, he is very interested in learning about the competitive scene recently. Bayonetta is indeed getting additional nerfs, mostly adding more lag to her specials if she misses (Witch Time, Witch Twist), and reducing kill power of Up air. Most characters are getting buffed or nerfed as you'd expect, although strangely, Yoshi is getting nerfed overall, Sakurai felt he was too strong on For Glory. Diddy Kong is getting buffed, my source and friends tried stopping it but Sakurai doesn't get why Diddy is good as is and thinks he needs more power.
Post questions about characters and I'll try to answer them individually.

Also, here are your Newcomers:
>Simon
>Steve
>Tails (Sonic Echo)
>Geno
>Isabelle (Villager Echo)
>King K. Rool

And yes, Sakurai has heard about Waluigi but he will not be in the base game, DLC is still up in the air.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422305878/ignore-those-other-fake-leaks-this-is-the-real

Ignore those other fake leaks. This is the real deal.

>New stages:
Ultra Space (Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon)
Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 8)
Ganon's Tower (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)
New Los Angeles (Xenoblade Chronicles X)

>New characters:
Ashley
Elma
Decidueye
King K. Rool
Paper Mario

It's honestly insane how much of these we're getting.
Managed to get the first one, but not the second two. Thank you.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Had to leave for a few minutes and I see that only I said I would try Yoshi out...

:(:crying:
On the bright side, if less people play Yoshi, then it means less people will know the Yoshi match-up, which means you can capitalize on a whole new generation of players that A. don't know how to fight against Yoshi and B. won't know Yoshi's buffs. Go and make them pay for their insolence. :reverse:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I think I like this roster better then the last one. Yes I replace Shadow with Banjo because Shadow is not Sonic I think Shadow as a Sonic echo doesn't make sense when I look at compare Sonic and Shadow Shadow could use his chaos emerald. Dont be surprise if he shown as a assist trophy.

I put Mach Rider and Lip as new retro reps.

I replace Medusa with Viridi cause I think Viridi do have a Mii Costumes in Smash 4 not sure it hints her a character.

And Mimikyu has a shot he is one the popular Sun and Moon Pokemon plus we dont have a ghost type Pokemon which will be new for smash.
IconMario.png

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's a funny leak.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422372208
pic unrelated

I'm one of Vergeben's sources, actually I'm a common source in general. The kid's a f***ing p****, I fed him some fake news to teach him a lesson. Simon Belmont.. Minecraft Stage.. HA!

Who am I? that's not important

What is that I'm in a position to leak Smash stuff

The game already has DLC planned, there's a seperate team that handles the DLC, Sakurai has very little say over them, mostly he tells them "Yay" or "Nay" on certain small details. The plan is to keep doing DLC throughout the Switch's Lifespan. Once things get in the swing you'll be looking at one character a month, this will be a big selling point once the game launches.

The base game has, in addition to those revealed

King K.Rool (revealed in July
Dixie (revealed in July
Geno (revealed in July
Bandanna Dee (Revealed in August)
Dark Samus (revealed in August)
Isaac (Revealed in September)
Chorus Men (Revealed in October)
Shadow (Revealed in October)
Chibi Robo (Revealed in October)
Saki (Revealed in November)
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) (Revealed in December after the game launches)

DLC
Waluigi (Reggie has more pull than you think)
Rex W/ Pyra (Ordered by Sakurai himself)
Mallow (There will be a special bundle for an unnanounced Squenix game that gives you him for free)
Twintelle

Banjo Kazooie

No, Ubisoft told Nintendo to take Rabids or nothing...

Nintendo said it was up to Sakurai

They got nothing

Crash was never even considered.

Do I have them? Yes
Will I share them? Nintendo would find out who the leaker is...

It's a common thing to do when the game is being shown off to private parties... put a few "Gotchas!" in the gameplay footage that can be used to rule out everyone who wasn't in the private party

I can say that the Gotcha was a cyan Star Man (from Mario) in the character icons on the bottom.. So if you see that Cyan Star it means someone else was braver than me.

I've said too much as it is.

K.Rool drops July 9th, Dixie is in his his trailer

K. Rool has all of his personas and 4 colors for each (Kaptain, Baron, Pharoah, Aviator from DKP, and Boxer)

Geno will be released six days later, his trailer is very epic and in many ways a sequel to the Ridley trailer, as it shows Mario and Mega Man heavily damaged and tortured with villains surrounding them.. but Geno lights their darkest hour.

The October Trailer features Chibi Robo trick or treating, Shadow is one of the houses he hits, and he gives him a rock.. ignoring and disheartening Chibi Robo

Shadow is a Sonic echo.. not even his final Smash is different (It's Super Shadow)

He does have "Where's that Darn fourth Chaos Emerald" as a taunt, and Chaos Control as a victory animation

Honestly I'm beginning to believe a K. Rool reveal on July 9th considering that 4 different leaks say it'll happen. Maybe I'm going crazy from spending too much time on 4chan.

We'll find out then I guess.

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
:ultganondorf::ultmario::ultness: - My previous mains, still top priority.
:ultwario: - Looks reverted to Brawl state. I even dare to say that the very little that we saw of him reminded him of his Project M version. Best version.
:ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer: - Nostalgia trip.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Here's a funny leak.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422372208
pic unrelated

I'm one of Vergeben's sources, actually I'm a common source in general. The kid's a f***ing p****, I fed him some fake news to teach him a lesson. Simon Belmont.. Minecraft Stage.. HA!

Who am I? that's not important

What is that I'm in a position to leak Smash stuff

The game already has DLC planned, there's a seperate team that handles the DLC, Sakurai has very little say over them, mostly he tells them "Yay" or "Nay" on certain small details. The plan is to keep doing DLC throughout the Switch's Lifespan. Once things get in the swing you'll be looking at one character a month, this will be a big selling point once the game launches.

The base game has, in addition to those revealed

King K.Rool (revealed in July
Dixie (revealed in July
Geno (revealed in July
Bandanna Dee (Revealed in August)
Dark Samus (revealed in August)
Isaac (Revealed in September)
Chorus Men (Revealed in October)
Shadow (Revealed in October)
Chibi Robo (Revealed in October)
Saki (Revealed in November)
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) (Revealed in December after the game launches)

DLC
Waluigi (Reggie has more pull than you think)
Rex W/ Pyra (Ordered by Sakurai himself)
Mallow (There will be a special bundle for an unnanounced Squenix game that gives you him for free)
Twintelle

Banjo Kazooie

No, Ubisoft told Nintendo to take Rabids or nothing...

Nintendo said it was up to Sakurai

They got nothing

Crash was never even considered.

Do I have them? Yes
Will I share them? Nintendo would find out who the leaker is...

It's a common thing to do when the game is being shown off to private parties... put a few "Gotchas!" in the gameplay footage that can be used to rule out everyone who wasn't in the private party

I can say that the Gotcha was a cyan Star Man (from Mario) in the character icons on the bottom.. So if you see that Cyan Star it means someone else was braver than me.

I've said too much as it is.

K.Rool drops July 9th, Dixie is in his his trailer

K. Rool has all of his personas and 4 colors for each (Kaptain, Baron, Pharoah, Aviator from DKP, and Boxer)

Geno will be released six days later, his trailer is very epic and in many ways a sequel to the Ridley trailer, as it shows Mario and Mega Man heavily damaged and tortured with villains surrounding them.. but Geno lights their darkest hour.

The October Trailer features Chibi Robo trick or treating, Shadow is one of the houses he hits, and he gives him a rock.. ignoring and disheartening Chibi Robo

Shadow is a Sonic echo.. not even his final Smash is different (It's Super Shadow)

He does have "Where's that Darn fourth Chaos Emerald" as a taunt, and Chaos Control as a victory animation

Honestly I'm beginning to believe a K. Rool reveal on July 9th considering that 4 different leaks say it'll happen. Maybe I'm going crazy from spending too much time on 4chan.

We'll find out then I guess.
As long as Chorus Kids/Men keep appearing in the leaks I'll be happy.
Gives me hope. <3

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
They are likely all piggy backing off each other. K. Rool fits a reveal closer to release than anything else.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
IN ANOTHER ADDITION OF “IT’S LATE AND ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS SMASH!” - “Assist Trophy Ideas. Pt 2.”

1. Cheep Cheep (Super Mario)
1530250669195.png
You know these little guys. The ones in certain levels that just jump up from the bottom of the screen, and there’s HUNDREDS OF THEM. In Smash, they jump up from the bottom of the screen, and cause minor damage if you happen to get hit by one. However, that damage can build up if you keep getting tacked by these little fishies!

2. Stanley (Donkey Kong 3)
1530251133301.jpeg

Stanley will pump out a clouds of poisonous gas. If you get caught in it you’ll become dizzy and slowly rack up damage. Try to avoid them if you can!

3. Noddy (Kirby)
1530251495750.png

It’s Noddy! The “Goldeen” of Assist Trophies! He appears and immediately falls asleep so don’t expect any help from him. Look how cute he is though!

4. Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
1530252385608.png

The beautiful ice princess of Nifl, Fjorm, is here to help. Using her powerful ice magic she can freeze opponents and attack with her spear.

5. Hestu (Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild)
1530252957696.jpeg

The lovable and absentminded Hestu is here to help! After shaking his maracas, and doing a little dance, Hestu will greatly increase either your attack or defense!

Bonus: Third Party Assist!

6. Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
1530253285642.png

Jibanyan will use his signature Paws of Fury attack of foes, and unleash several quick hits to rack up damage! Try to keep your distance if you can! This kitty’s got claws.

Let me know what you think! Or don’t. I don’t care. I just wanted to share and get this off my mind.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They are likely all piggy backing off each other. K. Rool fits a reveal closer to release than anything else.
The first half is likely, but the second half? Not so much. They don't reveal characters based off of keeping hype alive. They'll reveal characters as they please.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
6. Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
View attachment 150672

Jibanyan will use his signature Paws of Fury attack of foes, and unleash several quick hits to rack up damage! Try to keep your distance if you can! This kitty’s got claws.
PAWS OF FURYYYYYYYY

NYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYANYA

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Yokai Watch.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm quite happy with this leaking agreement on K.Rool. Last character that was in this number of leaks was Ridley.Even more happy if it turns out to be true on July/9.

Ridley inclusion was a excelent sign to all the most-wanted characters (from community). Confident that Geno will finally happen too.
Maybe I'm wrong and we receive only oddy balls from now, but this scenario seems more and more unlikely.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
As long as Chorus Kids/Men keep appearing in the leaks I'll be happy.
Gives me hope. <3
Pro tip: fake leaks tend to echo whatever is popular, with one or two odd picks as ‘Sakurai-isms’. Even if it gives hope, the real selection tends to be way different. How many leaks mentioned Daisy before her reveal?
EDIT: this also tends to be a good way to weed out the fake ones. Too perfect for the current Smash fandom? It’s probably made up by a fan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom