• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Fountain of Dreams,Peach’s Castle,Paper Mario,Mute City,Dream Land,Delfino Plaza,Pirate Ship,Yoshi Island(Melee), Mushroom kingdom 64.
The Mario franchise would dwarf other series if they bring back all of these stages and not much from any other series, lol. That'd be 18 Mario series stages alone, and that's not including Yoshi and Wario stages!

The next most would be 9 from Zelda, and then Pokemon with 7.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Tomorrow is CEO 2018. Any chances that a new character will be revealed?
It'd be a wonderful, WONDERFUL, way for Nintendo to finally acknowledge the competitive scene in a really big way. Here or EVO would be the prime opportunity to do it, but seeing as there's no precedence for it, it's probably not happening.
Found another leak. More general Nintendo related than Smash, but interesting nonetheless
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422356853/#422356853
Nintendo stuff

So from my sources I’ve picked up a few interesting things y’all would find interesting.

>Punch Out Switch

A Switch game and sequel to the Wii’s punch-Out.Little mac is back and ready to take on all challengers after being unrightfully striped of his title.Mac with the assistance of Doc and a new female love interest he will fight his way back up to the top.I am hearing there we’ll be cameos from one or two other Nintendo characters the ones I’m hearing are Wario or King Dedede.

>Legend of Two Heroes: Savior of Two Worlds

A crossover of the legend of Zelda series and the kid Icarus series.Palutena calls upon the goddesses of hyrule for aid when a darkness to evil for pit to handle alone.Here they bring in Link and it’s up to the two heroes to fight against this darkness to save not just sky world but hyrule as well. Gameplay similar to kid Icarus uprising with a more focus on co-op and puzzle solving.

>Wario Land 4 Remake

A remake of Wario land 4 from the GBA. Graphics are more colorful and toned. If I could compare it to anything it’s like the more recent shantae game. The gameplay is the same just upgraded. It’s stated to be an early spring game.

>Smash Bros

I don’t know all of the characters only 1 and I know some stages are returning

>Shadow The Hedgehog(Not an Echo)

>Fountain of Dreams,Peach’s Castle,Paper Mario,Mute City,Dream Land,Delfino Plaza,Pirate Ship,Yoshi Island(Melee), Mushroom kingdom 64

Honestly the Legend of Two Heroes game sounds hype AF. I would love a to see more Nintendo crossovers like that.
"Legend of Two Heroes: Savior of Two Worlds "
That is the MOST generic title I have ever read.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Saying toads are a big part of the Mario series is like saying Bokoblins are a big part of Zelda series.
While not technically wrong, I doubt most people would want to play as a bokoblin.

(And yes, people who will inevitably reply to me to say they'd play as a bokoblin... you are not most people.)

If Captain Toad's going to be considered for Smash, he's going to be considered because he's Captain Toad, not because of the "legacy of toads" or whatever.
Difference there is that Toads aren't a generic enemy you don't need to know the name of nor get MULTIPLE playable appearances inside maim games nor spinoffs.

You can't deny how prevalent and iconic the name of Toad is when it comes to Mario.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So many casual gamers and even non-gamers know exactly who Toad is. In all seriousness, under the age of 30, who hasn't played Mario Kart 64?

7/8 of the cast are playable in Smash.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
With Goomba having playable appearances now, I actually wouldn't doubt someone like Private Goomp or any one of those unique mooks among the species we all love getting a fanbase.

Heck, I'm fairly sure a generic Shy Guy is in the running for a Yoshi rep after Kamek or the babies anyways.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Found another leak. More general Nintendo related than Smash, but interesting nonetheless
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422356853/#422356853
Nintendo stuff

So from my sources I’ve picked up a few interesting things y’all would find interesting.

>Punch Out Switch

A Switch game and sequel to the Wii’s punch-Out.Little mac is back and ready to take on all challengers after being unrightfully striped of his title.Mac with the assistance of Doc and a new female love interest he will fight his way back up to the top.I am hearing there we’ll be cameos from one or two other Nintendo characters the ones I’m hearing are Wario or King Dedede.

>Legend of Two Heroes: Savior of Two Worlds

A crossover of the legend of Zelda series and the kid Icarus series.Palutena calls upon the goddesses of hyrule for aid when a darkness to evil for pit to handle alone.Here they bring in Link and it’s up to the two heroes to fight against this darkness to save not just sky world but hyrule as well. Gameplay similar to kid Icarus uprising with a more focus on co-op and puzzle solving.

>Wario Land 4 Remake

A remake of Wario land 4 from the GBA. Graphics are more colorful and toned. If I could compare it to anything it’s like the more recent shantae game. The gameplay is the same just upgraded. It’s stated to be an early spring game.

>Smash Bros

I don’t know all of the characters only 1 and I know some stages are returning

>Shadow The Hedgehog(Not an Echo)

>Fountain of Dreams,Peach’s Castle,Paper Mario,Mute City,Dream Land,Delfino Plaza,Pirate Ship,Yoshi Island(Melee), Mushroom kingdom 64

Honestly the Legend of Two Heroes game sounds hype AF. I would love a to see more Nintendo crossovers like that.
I have a sneaking suspicion I might know this leaker... I talked with someone at length about why I think Nintendo should do Zelda+KI crossover (along with Metroid+Star Fox and Mario+Kirby) and a Wario Land 4 remake...
I might call them haha

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Actually, if we're being honest, isn't the generic argument actually null with the existence of Yoshi and the Pokémon anyways?

SonicMario

Smash Master
To me Captain Toad, or any playable Toad at all would just complete the Mario series representation in Smash. It's the only hole that feels missing to me for the series.

That said just because it's a hole in the Mario series representation doesn't mean it's absolutely necessary to Smash as a whole admittedly. I can get by with another Smash without a playable Toad and in fact proud enough that regular ol' Toad's no longer just a meat shield this time around.

That said if Captain Toad is revealed next month tying in with the Switch port release or he even turns out to be a Bowser Jr. style reveal where he's found in the full roster reveal in the last weeks before release. I will admit the Mario fan in me will shed some manly tears for the little guy who's finally done it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ok so question. A Bethesda character gets in. Who would you rather it be?

- Fallout
The Doom Slayer - Doom
The Dragonborn - Skyrim

Me, personally, I'd prefer the Doom Slayer.
Fixed that for you. :p

But with regards to a Bethesda character in Smash Bros; Vault Boy, Doomguy or Dragonborn could be interesting picks. I'd probably rank it as Doomguy > Dragonborn == Vault Boy.

Dragonborn has the Switch version of Skyrim and the long legacy of The Elder Scrolls series on his back. Could be an interesting heavy sword and magic user.
Doomguy would be a good 'Lightning bruiser' type character, and Doom was one of the pioneers of the FPS genre.
As for Vault Boy, given he's a sort of 'mascot' both in-universe and out-universe for the Fallout series aside from the Power Armour from the games, he could probably be given the most personality and character, since he's used for quite a number of things in the Fallout world that a player can do - or maybe some zany 50s cartoon effects to make him feel more lively as a character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have a sneaking suspicion I might know this leaker... I talked with someone at length about why I think Nintendo should do Zelda+KI crossover (along with Metroid+Star Fox and Mario+Kirby) and a Wario Land 4 remake...
I might call them haha
A Wario Land 4 remake?
Remake Mario Land 1 and 2 first, then Wario Land 1-3, THEN remake Wario Land 4.
At least do things in order, Enchess Enchess !

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Speaking of this, are there any characters you guys'd like to see, despite knowing they're either highly unlikely or damn near impossible?

I'm not talking about characters like K. Rool, Ashley, Isaac and the like. I'm talking characters like Slippy Toad, Amy Rose, Big the Cat... etc.

My personal pick is Tifa Lockhart; as far as Square Enix characters go, they'd probably go for either Sephiroth, another Final Fantasy protagonist (Warrior of Light, Cecil, Terra or Squall), Crono, or Sora before her.
Well, I do love Xenoblade, and I think it's deserving of a second rep right about now, and there's only one choice that's right for any upstanding fan of Xenoblade 2.
Turters, reveal yourself!

...huh? Turters, where are you, boy??
Uhh, pretend there's a picture of a turtle above. For some reason, Smashboards doesn't like the one I got.
In all seriousness, pretty much any of the main drivers from Xenoblade 2 would be marvelous at this point (particularly Zeke, I love that old chum), but they probably won't even be up for consideration before main-protag-privileged Rex. Sad, considering he's easily my least favorite Driver in that game character-wise, but I'll live if he's all we get. However, if Zeke manages to get in even as just an Assist Trophy, I will be incredibly happy. The world of Smash deserves to know the Eye of Shining Justice's power!

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
So many casual gamers and even non-gamers know exactly who Toad is. In all seriousness, under the age of 30, who hasn't played Mario Kart 64?

7/8 of the cast are playable in Smash.
And then we got Rosalina and frickin' Daisy before Toad.

It honestly doesn't feel right even though I like both of those characters.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm not opposed to a playable Toad. He's probably the best choice for new Mario rep and Toadette costume would be a lock and that's awesome. I just don't know why people want him so bad. He hasn't shown much moveset potential, so we'd almost for sure get a made up from scratch one like Cpt Falcon.

Also on Cpt Toad: not jumping is definitely a crucial part of his game. I don't think it violates lore to have him jump, but if he does he pretty much becomes normal Toad but with a really cool outfit (which is still pretty rad)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
And then we got Rosalina and frickin' Daisy before Toad.

It honestly doesn't feel right even though I like both of those characters.
Even Bowser Jr. was surprising to me. I wanted Bowser Jr. in Smash since I first saw the character, but in my head he was always a 'last pick' kind of choice. It's still weird that he got in before Toad.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I played through Smash Run again in a long time, and holy **** I forgot how fun this was. I really hope it comes back.

Enchess

Smash Lord
A Wario Land 4 remake?
Remake Mario Land 1 and 2 first, then Wario Land 1-3, THEN remake Wario Land 4.
At least do things in order, Enchess Enchess !
Wario Land 4 literally has a 700+ page book written about it's game design (seriously. You can buy it on Amazon and I have). It's the peak of Wario and it satisfies me so much I'm not even sure they should make sequels. They haven't and won't top it. They can skip the others.

While we're on the subject, I want the Golden Diva to make an appearance really badly. I don't care if she's an assist trophy, a stage hazard, or background decoration.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Even Bowser Jr. was surprising to me. I wanted Bowser Jr. in Smash since I first saw the character, but in my head he was always a 'last pick' kind of choice. It's still weird that he got in before Toad.
BJ had more reason to be in than Rosailna IMO. He's notably more important and a series regular in both the main games and spinoffs

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So many casual gamers and even non-gamers know exactly who Toad is. In all seriousness, under the age of 30, who hasn't played Mario Kart 64?.
Not only have I not played it, it's actually the only main Mario Kart that I don't own.
I own SMK, Super Circuit, Double Dash, DS, WII, 7, 8, and 8 DX, but not 64.

Enchess

Smash Lord
If Toad is in, I think we can all just headcanon that it's SMB2 Toad and not just a generic one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wario Land 4 literally has a 700+ page book written about it's game design (seriously. You can buy it on Amazon and I have). It's the peak of Wario and it satisfies me so much I'm not even sure they should make sequels. They haven't and won't top it. They can skip the others.

While we're on the subject, I want the Golden Diva to make an appearance really badly. I don't care if she's an assist trophy, a stage hazard, or background decoration.
I tried Wario Land 4 and couldn't get into it, I much prefer the tone and settings of Wario Land 1 & 2.
Also Captain Syrup is 100x better than... was it Rudy the Clown? The bad guy of WL3.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, Micaiah would be a suitable pick for this criteria.

She can be somewhat divisive among the fandom, so there are other 'more popular' characters for them to pick from and her game is the better part of a decade old.

Man, I made myself sad. At least all my picks this game have popularity.

For the record, my picks are...
Isaac, Tails, Agumon, Shadow, Nightmare/Siegfried, Vaati, Crash, Tifa

The roster this time is pretty much perfect for me, add Isaac and everything else would just be icing on the cake, which is why so many of them are third parties.
Micaiah at least ended up abandoning the divisiveness after some time (I guess that it's partially thanks to Corrin ended up being the controversial character since 2015 and the reasons used against Micaiah actually works with Corrin unlike her).

I don't find people actively hating Micaiah in normal places anymore (mostly some random people in Gamefaqs; but in that place everything can be hated xD).

And if there is still people that don't like Micaiah; I'm in my mission of make the best of her being better known :3

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'd say that, considering the logo used next to Cloud on the Smash website's character list is the Final Fantasy VII one (I'm not talking about the "FF" that represents the Final Fantasy series in-game), if they go for another Final Fantasy character it'll probably be Sephiroth. Just sayin' :)

Of course, that's assuming they even go for another Final Fantasy character.
Oh my God, if Sephiroth was playable I’d be so hyped. If under the slim, slim, SLIM, chance they had another FFVII character I could see him or Tifa.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I tried Wario Land 4 and couldn't get into it, I much prefer the tone and settings of Wario Land 1 & 2.
Also Captain Syrup is 100x better than... was it Rudy the Clown?
Unpopular opinion: Every Wario Land 4 boss has as much personality as the WarioWare characters and all of them are better bosses than anything in mainline Mario. Yes, even the eggplant and especially weird two headed cat-bat abomination that is definitely the result of a drug trip.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I plan on creating an in-depth analysis on my personal thoughts on several promoted Nintendo newcomers like Ashley, Isabelle, Bandanna Dee. I feel that I have a lot to say on the matter and I want to properly explain why I have different degrees of confidence for these characters. I might as well write about it before my predictions are finalized and summer class starts.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I plan on creating an in-depth analysis on my personal thoughts on several promoted Nintendo newcomers like Ashley, Isabelle, Bandanna Dee. I feel that I have a lot to say on the matter and I want to properly explain why I have different degrees of confidence for these characters. I might as well write about it before my predictions are finalized and summer class starts.
Do ittt

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice

A KI / LoZ crossover sounds legitimately amazing, but I'm not sure how they'd reconcile the talkative KI cast with the silent protagonist Link. It'd be a little jarring, I think.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh my God, if Sephiroth was playable I’d be so hyped. If under the slim, slim, SLIM, chance they had another FFVII character I could see him or Tifa.
I've been lowkey championing Sephiroth for the last few days. XD Though I'd rather have Tifa (AKA "Cloud's Girlfriend" AKA "MMA Barkeep Waifu")
Micaiah at least ended up abandoning the divisiveness after some time (I guess that it's partially thanks to Corrin ended up being the controversial character since 2015 and the reasons used against Micaiah actually works with Corrin unlike her).

I don't find people actively hating Micaiah in normal places anymore (mostly some random people in Gamefaqs; but in that place everything can be hated xD).

And if there is still people that don't like Micaiah; I'm in my mission of make the best of her being better known :3
I've been out of the loop of the Fire Emblem fandom for a while. (BTW, I like Micaiah, but I haven't played Radiant Dawn since it came out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom