• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Brawl was pretty gritty too. Only recently did these games get some color
You know it was important to stop that when the proposal of Smash 4 was immediately into "Okay, this realism thing? Never again." Thanks Daddy Sakurai, now I'm saved from seeing a realistic Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hated Mario's design in Brawl because he was so dark i think i found out my old friend.

Yeah im thankful the dull colors of Brawl (and to a lesser extent Melee) are gone for good.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I liked the overall aesthetic of Melee that wasn't the characters. The menu's, the weird swirly thing when you had the new challenger message...I miss those menu's.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah if I'm being honest

I dislike Melee's artstyle more than Brawl's.

I get that it was early in the sixth generation but it felt more like the team was focusing too much on "TEXTURES! **** YEAH!!!!1!!11!" rather than making the models actually look good,

Would have preferred if some of the "Classic" trophy models were the actual models (:yoshimelee::bowsermelee::dkmelee::pichumelee:).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still don't understand how that can result in Eldritch Horror Yoshi...
Yoshi in Smash 64 wasn't upright, but Classic Yoshi trophy was. He probably had to stick to the saddle hunchback of notre dame Yoshi.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
Bowser, Mewtwo, and King DeDeDe were all playable during Smash 64s development but ended up getting cut. I wish we could have saw what their models looked like.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Wasn't Melee's development time pretty short? Maybe that explains some of the off models. :upsidedown: Rushing is hell.
I mean it was rushed, that's why we have so many exploits that the Melee playerbase is so attached to for some reason.

With that being said, if you're on that much of a time crunch why wouldn't you just make one model for all characters? You could have had all the alt trophies be actual alts for the character if you wanted.

If you're gonna give us skinny-*** alien Yoshi then the least you could do is not taunt us with a good Yoshi model we can't play as...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bowser, Mewtwo, and King DeDeDe were all playable during Smash 64s development but ended up getting cut. I wish we could have saw what their models looked like.
Any Bowser model from Mario Party
Dedede from Kirby 64
Mewtwo from Pokemon Stadium.

There's a general idea. :p

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Melee Mewtwo looked pretty weird to me. I could only imagine how 64 Mewtwo would have looked. Thankfully his model now is beautiful.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bowser 64 is still weirdly adorable...
Everything about Bowser 64 is adorable, he's just such a charming character. That specific era of him was one of my gimmicks back in 2014/15. that and the dr. who gif spam era but i'd rather never speak of that again

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know it was important to stop that when the proposal of Smash 4 was immediately into "Okay, this realism thing? Never again." Thanks Daddy Sakurai, now I'm saved from seeing a realistic Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.
Well now that the grittiness and realism is gone...so is the Snake booty
It's the most likely reason, since Kojima Productions lost all rights to the Metal Gear franchise at some point after Brawl's release; I don't remember when, however.
2014-2015, during the MGSV development time (also affected the game from being fully completed)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly don't see Labo as a possibility for this game at all. It would be a weird pick for a character and I highly doubt Sakurai would have looked at Labo for a newcomer (assuming it even started development or he even knew about it at all in 2015...) and it's not the kind of character that you'd have as DLC.

You'd never see someone like R.OB or Wii Fit Trainer as DLC except if they were cut and returning. DLC so far has been all big protagonists, veterans, and third parties. Of course there's only one game to have had DLC so we can't form a pattern based off of that but I doubt it's going to start having characters like a Labo man unless it was part of a bigger DLC pack (like how MK8 did things) of more recognizable/profitable content.
To be honest, Laboman being chosen isn't hard to believe at all, as it'd be an interesting and fun moveset. Hardware-based characters isn't too odd.

The issue is more what you said about the timing. It's quite possible Labo was starting development well after Sakurai started working on Ultimate. On the other hand, Labo might've taken a long time.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Can I rant about how Sakurai said that if Awakening came out 7 months after development of Smash for Wii U/3DS started he may not have included Robin or Lucina, yet despite that many people are expecting Rex playable, a character whose game came out close to 2 years after development for Smash Ultimate started? :glare:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Or maybe... just maybe...Octolings will be just an an alternative costume if they play exactly the same as Inklings? From a developer point of view; it would be much easier to just make them alts and focus on other characters that doesn't seem so similar.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or maybe... just maybe...Octolings will be just an an alternative costume if they play exactly the same as Inklings? From a developer point of view; it would be much easier to just make them alts and focus on other characters that doesn't seem so similar.
It's another Alph situation. Makes sense, works fine, and Lucina/Dr. Mario were originally going to be a costume of their respective fighters before getting a little fleshed out too hard. Perfectly understandable, but the raging salt because "muh echo!!" would be worth it.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can I rant about how Sakurai said that if Awakening came out 7 months after development of Smash for Wii U/3DS started he may not have included Robin or Lucina, yet despite that many people are expecting Rex playable, a character whose game came out close to 2 years after development for Smash Ultimate started? :glare:
Once we figured out when the project plan happened the Rex and Pyra support dwindled...For the base game at least. I'm almost certain they'll be DLC.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, I'm already dreading the July drought.

Back in Brawl and Smash4 days, it was managable because every night had a chance of being something new that we had never seen before, and we were always on edge as to what we'd see next.

Now? We're pretty much set for the next month since Julys almost never get Directs, so everything's gonna be rehashed.

:sadsheep:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya know, I'm already dreading the July drought.

Back in Brawl and Smash4 days, it was managable because every night had a chance of being something new that we had never seen before, and we were always on edge as to what we'd see next.

Now? We're pretty much set for the next month since Julys almost never get Directs, so everything's gonna be rehashed.

:sadsheep:
I bought Odyssey so I can pad out time, but I don't know how much I can consistently keep up with the coming days before I run out of things to do in that game. It's gonna be hell, at least until the school/uni years kick back in anyway. :drsad: That usually makes the time run faster.

Shroob

Sup?
I bought Odyssey so I can pad out time, but I don't know how much I can consistently keep up with the coming days before I run out of things to do in that game. It's gonna be hell, at least until the school/uni years kick back in anyway. :drsad: That usually makes the time run faster.
It's especially hard for someone like me who's autistic. Whenever a new Smash game comes out, it's all I can really focus on, but with old info for a month, it makes me bored. :drflip:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom