• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
So I noticed that Snakes insignia is no longer the Foxhound organization and is now an exclamation point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mario and Wolf could be polished up but the game looks great otherwise. The updated stages look fantastic now.
Wolf could use a mouthjob tbh while Mario is fine...just happy for some reason

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plus the stages from Forces users usually suggest such as Sunset Heights/Park Avenue are just kinda bland to look at compared to a lot of other stages from the franchise. Like, y'know...stages from Mania.

I'd rather have something more vibrant, technicoloured and full of life. Just go for a Mania stage I say.
How likely is it for PagodaWest and Whitehead to beg Sakurai to include some of these?

Seriously though, July is going to suck for PotDs.

We're going to get 2 items/ATs/Pokemon we already know and 3 veterans for a solid 4 weeks before there's even a chance of a murmur of a Direct.

This is both the pros and cons of hype.

The Direct got us hella hyped, but now we're basically going to have an entire month of downtime.
I hear that. Bad enough that I have to wait for Battle Princess Madelyn to come out this year, at least Mania Plus can occupy me in the meantime.

So I noticed that Snakes insignia is no longer the Foxhound organization and is now an exclamation point.
I highly suspect that the Foxhound logo rights are with Kojima now, so Sakurai went for the next best thing.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Lucina pretends to be marth in her game and she uses the same sword as him (it's different but still the same sword I believe), even though they have different fighting styles technically, at the end of the day Lucina is another standard sword user who'd never get in as a non-clone and her fighting like marth isn't so crazy out of character since she literally pretends to be him.

Daisy was created to be a counterpart for peach and she has no actual canon abilities that would translate to smash anyway, her fighting like peach doesn't contradict how she actually behaves in the games at all.

Dixie isn't anything like those 2, she has canon unique abilities and she's important in her series, her fighting like Diddy just wouldn't be right imo

If they're gonna go to all the effort of redoing all those animations why not just make her a unique character anyway
I know people already got to this but I wanna point out an interesting thought. Lucina really wasn't pretending to be Marth, I mean she never knew him so she couldn't. She's called out for fighting like Chrom who is way more brutish than Marth. Honestly the whole Lucina makes sense as Marth always felt like through the eyes of someone who knew she disguised herself and called herself Marth and that's it, which makes no sense since Sakurai played Awakening and did justice for Robin. Lucina really feels like a bonus thrown in for her fans.

Anyway my point. Let's look at echoes on a scale (excluding Dark Pit because I haven't played Kid Icarus, someone can feel free to lend their opinion though!)

Daisy is on one end, where she not only shares the same model, she also has no real fighting skills to pull insperation from and it's totally understandable why she would fight like Peach.
Lucina is in the middle, the model is simialr and it's arguable that as a sword fighter masquerading as Marth she'd fight simialr, but she defintely had the potential to be more and doesn't really make sense as a Marth echo.
Dixie is on the far end. All she has in common is a model shape with Diddy, and the fact that she could pull off a lot of his moves. However she has her hair which not using that would be removing one of her main characteristics. That and she doesn't use a lot of the aspects of Diddys Moveset or fighting style.

Anyway sorry for the long read, I just think there are levels of Echo fighters and how alike they are to their source. It will be interesting to see how far Sakurai pushes them in terms of both models and Moveset potential.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You can tell this game has that patented Switch pseudo-realism. :upsidedown: It's not as gritty as Brawl but it's more vibrantly detailed and Mario's mustache moves to physics when you do his D-Air. That's like, every man's dream.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Yep, full of mother's sweat and tears.
Smiles and Tears.

The interesting thing about that is Lucas' family lives on a farm and on that farm, they're shown to herd sheep which was revealed in Hinawa’s (Lucas' mother) letter at the start of Chapter 4. That means Hinawa likely knitted his clothes for him out of wool they sheared amongst themselves.

It's an extra nice detail when you remember he lived with a bunch of sheep, that boys shirt was handmade ;_;
The lore in this render.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
What would be your reaction if Sakurai announced a Smash Direct in August or September, and he announces that every newcomer will be revealed in that direct? The thought just makes me ooze in happiness.
I would more hope for a reveal a month and 2 secret fighters going off the 7 characters theory (5 months till SmashU)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Look at the detail on Lucas' shirt:

You can really tell that shirt is made of wool.
Yep, full of mother's sweat and tears.
It's an extra nice detail when you remember he lived with a bunch of sheep, that boys shirt was handmade ;_;
Smiles and Tears.

The interesting thing about that is Lucas' family lives on a farm and on that farm, they're shown to herd sheep which was revealed in Hinawa’s (Lucas' mother) letter at the start of Chapter 4. That means Hinawa likely knitted his clothes for him out of wool they sheared amongst themselves.
Emotions?

I didn't ask for these.

GIBBERT64

Smash Rookie
I agree she shouldn't be an Echo and would make an ideal Luigi-level semi-clone, but if they're removing one of Diddy's only two tail attacks, it's something that might be happening to just get her on the roster for cheap.
She could use her hair instead of her tails

D

Deleted member

You know, Vergeben might turn out wrong, but im just thankful that people now see Simon Belmont as a possible newcomer instead of tossing him aside.

Back in 2014, some people didn't even saw him as the de-facto choice for a Castlevania character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Does anyone else think it's super ****ing weird that Bowser's official render has his skin be at a lighter tone like the SSB4/Brawl skin, but in the actual game it's more akin to his melee skin?

This is a new conspiracy, we must alert the world of Sakurai's deceit! :bobomb:

Untouch

Smash Master
If sudden death didn't start you at 300 and zoomed in even further, I wonder if it'd become a viable option instead of just going for whoever has the lower HP.
Hypothetically of course.
The new sudden death mode is interesting but doesn't fix the problems with it so I wonder if some tweaks would work.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Does anyone else think it's super ****ing weird that Bowser's official render has his skin be at a lighter tone like the SSB4/Brawl skin, but in the actual game it's more akin to his melee skin?

This is a new conspiracy, we must alert the world of Sakurai's deceit! :bobomb:
Please don't remind me of Melee's character models...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I didn't play a lot of Castlevania as a kid so I feel no attachment towards Simon Belmont. Similar to Snake for me. I was pretty Nintendo heavy, though I did have a PS2. Most of my time was in the N64 and Gamecube. If any third party got in that'd make me extremely happy it'd be Banjo & Kazooie.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
As a PlayStation kid back in the day, my heart still goes out to the Crash Bandicoot fans out there...

Also this is my 1000th post, and I've been here for only a little more than a month!!!
To celebrate, here's 1000 Yoshis:

If you clicked here expecting to see 1000 Yoshis, congratulations!!! You're a Yoshi fanatic. I welcome you with open arms.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I honestly don't see Labo as a possibility for this game at all. It would be a weird pick for a character and I highly doubt Sakurai would have looked at Labo for a newcomer (assuming it even started development or he even knew about it at all in 2015...) and it's not the kind of character that you'd have as DLC.

You'd never see someone like R.OB or Wii Fit Trainer as DLC except if they were cut and returning. DLC so far has been all big protagonists, veterans, and third parties. Of course there's only one game to have had DLC so we can't form a pattern based off of that but I doubt it's going to start having characters like a Labo man unless it was part of a bigger DLC pack (like how MK8 did things) of more recognizable/profitable content.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Give Melee flack for the models, but those themes and songs were bangers. Especially the victory themes, I prefer some of them over the ones we have now. I'm a man who loves his trumpets, especially that Metroid one.

So im not the only one who thinks Yoshi in Melee looked weird as ****.

The sad thing is that his "Classic" Trophy looked better than Yoshi's actual model:
That's the most depressing thing I've seen all day.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah Melee and 64 were going for this really weird "dark" aesthetic where every single character looked a shade darker than they normally do.
Glad we've moved on from that, yeesh.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah Melee and 64 were going for this really weird "dark" aesthetic where every single character looked a shade darker than they normally do.
Glad we've moved on from that, yeesh.
Brawl was pretty gritty too. Only recently did these games get some color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom