• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sure, there are other ways that Sonic Forces could be referenced, but I doubt that a stage would work.

I guess when you think it over, a game's reception isn't always enough to determine if it should have a stage or not. But in the case of Sonic, maybe his newest stage should originate from Sonic Mania.
They managed to make Windy Hill a stage and that has some similar looks to Green Hill, so having a darker Sonic stage added into Smash or any of their more pimped out zones become a stage wouldn’t be hard to do (especially if they add someone like Shadow or Tails...or Amy)
Pokemon, Nintendo's biggest franchise
Unless you’re counting every single thing Pokémon has done (games, apps, movies, animes, merch, trading cards, etc.), I wouldn’t call it the biggest Nintendo franchise (that’s still goes to Mario)...though there’s also the part where Nintendo doesn’t fully own Pokémon.
...Then again, look at Dark Pit. He was hard to tell apart in 4
Unless you played Uprising and noticed the faces in Smash 4 that is
To be fair, Dark Pit was playable in the main game.
And that edgy jerk didn’t bother to help defeat the heart of Hades

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They managed to make Windy Hill a stage and that has some similar looks to Green Hill, so having a darker Sonic stage added into Smash or any of their more pimped out zones become a stage wouldn’t be hard to do (especially if they add someone like Shadow or Tails...or Amy)
Considering how poorly received Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) was, any Sonic stage that has a dark and gritty vibe should probably come from Sonic's 2D adventures.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Part of me wants Metropolis Zone as a stage (Sonic 2) as I like the green (colored, not environmentally friendly) industrial aesthetic and now that hazards can be toggled, we can have ALL the annoying enemies show up. Mantises, Crabs, those ##### starfish.

Plus the music is MAH JAM!

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
It's totally relevant. Last time Sakurai said Pokémon was his sole exception to his "never diverge from the project plan" approach.
Wasn't it Sonic who was the one who forced Sakurai to chance the project plan (back in Brawl) as opposed to Greninja where Sakurai had an future X & Y Pokemon slot reserved for at the absolute beginning?

Not disagreeing with your point btw.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since I had the cash money I went ahead and bought a Switch and paired it with Odyssey. Now I have the filler time to make up for December at least up until July when I figure out how to get used to Joycons. :p If I have even more spare chachings I'll get Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors, not a real ARMS/Splatoon guy.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I know echo fighters is the talk but can we get the return of break the targets this time around, please. Hopefully, melee style but if not still will be happy.
Man that music gives me memories every time

MainJPW

M.T.A
Considering how poorly received Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) was, any Sonic stage that has a dark and gritty vibe should probably come from Sonic's 2D adventures.
Plus the stages from Forces users usually suggest such as Sunset Heights/Park Avenue are just kinda bland to look at compared to a lot of other stages from the franchise. Like, y'know...stages from Mania.

I'd rather have something more vibrant, technicoloured and full of life. Just go for a Mania stage I say.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know echo fighters is the talk but can we get the return of break the targets this time around, please. Hopefully, melee style but if not still will be happy.
You're gonna get Target Blast and you're gonna like it. :109:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I too want Melee's Break The Targets back, but I get the feeling with the giant workload Ultimate seems to have, I can't see every character getting unique stages unless they roll them out as free updates in the months after Ultimate's release; something along the lines of Kirby Star Allies' own schtick with new playable characters and what not.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Would be good enough as long as they bring “All I Am” and “All Hail Shadow”

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I too want Melee's Break The Targets back, but I get the feeling with the giant workload Ultimate seems to have, I can't see every character getting unique stages unless they roll them out as free updates in the months after Ultimate's release; something along the lines of Kirby Star Allies' own schtick with new playable characters and what not.
Oh yeah, I believe there is like a 1% chance of melee style targets happening but brawl ones were fine but make more than 5 levels and I'm game. Just get rid of the horrendous mode they called target blast, please

Untouch

Smash Master
I'd pay for DLC that has a unique break the targets and board the platforms stage for each character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I made a thread where you can give your opinions of the OG 12 outside of Smash. Maybe you can all finally get a full understanding of why I like Yoshi so much...
okay but where is it

I don't believe they would be that difficult to create, just time-consuming and tedious.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I'd pay for DLC that has a unique break the targets and board the platforms stage for each character.
OMG board the platform as well how could I forget about that man. Even small modes like them are so much fun man, Smash Bros is special

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm not talking Octoling costume colors, I'm talking ink colors. @MoonlitIllusion did bring up a good point about colors, but I'm still skeptical.

While Rex may have concept art dating back to 2014, his game didn't come out until much later, and Sakurai would likely add Elma, the main character of the released and successful Xenoblade Chronicles X, instead of the unproved Rex, who's game wouldn't come out until much later.

Also I feel like Spring Man wouldn't be added late like Sonic as Sonic was a very special case. Unless Nintendo directly came in and said "add Spring Man," which I highly doubt they would as they let Sakurai do his own thing, he likely won't be in the base game.

In other news, another s***ty 4chan leak appears.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421544445
Newcomers: Poipole, Ashley, Elma, Tingle, Simon
Echoes: Dixie, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Octolings
Friggin' Poipole? I love it, but no chance. Even if the roster was determined in late 2016 Poipole wouldn't be relevant enough to compete with Lycanroc.....heck even Zereora has a higher chance.

I'm also not a gigantic fan of Dixie, Octoling, Dark Samus, and Tingle all in the same leak, but thats just me.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Seriously though, July is going to suck for PotDs.

We're going to get 2 items/ATs/Pokemon we already know and 3 veterans for a solid 4 weeks before there's even a chance of a murmur of a Direct.

This is both the pros and cons of hype.

The Direct got us hella hyped, but now we're basically going to have an entire month of downtime.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, I think the majority of the workload went into prettying up Melee, Brawl and 3DS stages.

There's a reason most 3D fighting games these days only have 9 stages tops and try to pass off a nighttime version as a different stage.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
What are peoples thoughts of Laboman being a playable character? I'd be pretty unique to have a character whose moveset is based around the joycon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How bad would K. Rool fans feel if literal cardboard got in before him?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't bother me at all, and I'm a K. Rool fan.

Laboman is relevant and ripe with potential.

K. Rool also has potential. What happens happens. Thing is, some characters just get in before others. I mean, many would think Ridley would get in before another version of Samus, but here we are.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
Yeah when I saw that gif I instantly fell in love with the idea of him being playable. I don't think hes in the base game at all but I can see him being DLC somewhere down the line. I've even seen some people say he can be an alt or echo fighter for G&W.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm not a K. Rool fanatic or anything (I do want the character as I love the DKC games) but I wouldn't mind.

There isn't much correlation between the characters or really anything in common, I don't think if K. Rool doesn't get in but Labo does, Labo not being in would give K. Rool any extra chance. I would be happy about Labo (although it's not happening because of the timing) on it's own merits of being a quirky unique fighter based off of another Nintendo toy.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I think by now its clear that if you see a new character announcement as an obstacle to getting a character you want rather than a cool new addition.

You're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wouldn’t be worse than DBZ Goku getting in before Ridley did (so gladly that wasn’t possible...and maybe this is impossible...maybe)

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I can't get over how good the character renders are in this game. Just comparing Lucina's render from the previous game to now is absurd.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can't get over how good the character renders are in this game. Just comparing Lucina's render from the previous game to now is absurd.
Lucina having an amazing render will make some forget about the possibility in Laura Bailey being replaced by Alexa Tipton (reused voice clips or not)

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Mario and Wolf could be polished up but the game looks great otherwise. The updated stages look fantastic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom