• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, at this point, the ONLY thing I want in Ultimate is Dixie.

Considering that she's been playable in as many games as Diddy has, I'm really hoping we get her; I'll even take her as an echo if push comes to shove.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I would like to see Aether Paradise. It would take place in the Conservation Area. That's where the Ultra Wormhole first appears and also where you first encounter Nihilego. I was thinking maybe the Ultra Wormhole would open in the background and a random Ultra Beast would come out and be a stage hazard and then return to the Ultra Wormhole.
Ooooh I really like this idea. The Ultra Beasts have a lot of potential for fun/interesting stage hazards. Nihilego could latch on to a fighter and mess with their movements or force them to throw out random attacks. Celesteela could rocket across the screen or burn fighters as it takes off. Xurkitree could flail about and zap fighters. Guzzlord could eat players or devour parts of the stage. Maybe you could fight the Ultra Beasts and make them your ally upon defeating them, similar to Pyrosphere Ridley.

Of course, Buzzwole would be excluded from this stage as it will surely be our Gen 7 Pokémon character. :awesome:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My prediction 7:

1. Ashley
2. Geno
3. Elma
4. K. Rool
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. Simon/Third Party

SonicMario

Smash Master
So you basically want Tails’ Sonic The Fighters moveset? You perfectly described Fighters Tails.
Most of Sonic's A/non-special moves are taken from that game. Would probably only be natural to do the same for Tails (Though borrowing from Battle would help alot)

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Considering that she's been playable in as many games as Diddy has, I'm really hoping we get her; I'll even take her as an echo if push comes to shove.
This plus Impa. I was literally just looking back at what we have and I was like "Dang, this is pretty damn near perfect." It's funny because the return of every single past fighter really was something we didn't know we needed, yet here we are. Dixie and Impa would just be the cherry on top.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Personally I'd rather just not have her than have her potential squandered by making her an echo, she's too deserving of a character to be given that treatment.

To make this the ultimate game what we need is Dixie and K Rool imo, the roster is otherwise perfect in terms of characters that are really important.

Shroob

Sup?
Personally I'd rather just not have her than have her potential squandered by making her an echo, she's too deserving of a character to be given that treatment.

To make this the ultimate game what we need is Dixie and K Rool imo, the roster is otherwise perfect in terms of characters that are really important.
I'd rather have Dixie playable as an echo, than not have Dixie at all, but that's just me.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of, didn't Diddy get his tail whip attack removed?

Was he playable in the demo? If not, how can we know for sure?

PlayerOneTyler

He wasn't playable in the demo. Someone mentioned this thing about the tail before, but no one has backed it up with evidence?

Shroob

Sup?
IF Diddy did indeed get his tail whip attack removed, then it'd seem pretty suspect that it'd be due to Dixie not having a tail, most likely.

Honestly, I can see a Dixie 'echo' working of Diddy if they just reskinned his punches and somersault to use her hair instead of his fists, and instead of a somersault, she did her twirl.

If push comes to shove, I COULD see them go more akin to the Dr.Mario route and give her DK's Up+B, reskinned to be her hair.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
But with that mind set, do you consider Lucina as "Marth as a girl" or Daisy as "Peach with a new hairdo"?
Lucina pretends to be marth in her game and she uses the same sword as him (it's different but still the same sword I believe), even though they have different fighting styles technically, at the end of the day Lucina is another standard sword user who'd never get in as a non-clone and her fighting like marth isn't so crazy out of character since she literally pretends to be him.

Daisy was created to be a counterpart for peach and she has no actual canon abilities that would translate to smash anyway, her fighting like peach doesn't contradict how she actually behaves in the games at all.

Dixie isn't anything like those 2, she has canon unique abilities and she's important in her series, her fighting like Diddy just wouldn't be right imo

IF Diddy did indeed get his tail whip attack removed, then it'd seem pretty suspect that it'd be due to Dixie not having a tail, most likely.

Honestly, I can see a Dixie 'echo' working of Diddy if they just reskinned his punches and somersault to use her hair instead of his fists, and instead of a somersault, she did her twirl.

If push comes to shove, I COULD see them go more akin to the Dr.Mario route and give her DK's Up+B, reskinned to be her hair.
If they're gonna go to all the effort of redoing all those animations why not just make her a unique character anyway

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Guys' let's appreciate how amazing this showfloor at the World Hobby Fair in Tokyo looks. Those murals would make great wall papers.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh somethings accruing to

If relevance is a factor

Why did sakurai highly consider geno for smash bros...twice that dude hasn't appeared in a game for 20 years

Shroob

Sup?
Lucina pretends to be marth in her game and she uses the same sword as him (it's different but still the same sword I believe), even though they have different fighting styles technically, at the end of the day Lucina is another standard sword user who'd never get in as a non-clone and her fighting like marth isn't so crazy out of character since she literally pretends to be him.

Daisy was created to be a counterpart for peach and she has no actual canon abilities that would translate to smash anyway, her fighting like peach doesn't contradict how she actually behaves in the games at all.

Dixie isn't anything like those 2, she has canon unique abilities and she's important in her series, her fighting like Diddy just wouldn't be right imo

If they're gonna go to all the effort of redoing all those animations why not just make her a unique character anyway
Again, this is where I fall into the camp of "I'd rather have her than not have her"

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
He wasn't playable in the demo. Someone mentioned this thing about the tail before, but no one has backed it up with evidence?
Apparently, Diddy's personal trailer shows his jab, and his jab finisher is different.

So he either is capable of doing a 3 hit combo or rapid jab now, like Captain Falcon and Robin, or he just straight up doesn't have one, like Mario and Link.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

If relevance is a factor

Why did sakurai highly consider geno for smash bros...twice that dude hasn't appeared in a game for 20 years
Yet he wasn't actually added, and our lineup of newcomers for the last few smash games have pretty much all been characters that were relevant outside of retro picks

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

It's in his character trailer.

His only other moves that use his tail are his edge getup attack (which can be easily changed into a kick or something) and his neutral aerial having hitboxes on his tail (which can simply just be removed). So yeah it is pretty suspicious his only real tail move got changed into something else.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Most of Sonic's A/non-special moves are taken from that game. Would probably only be natural to do the same for Tails (Though borrowing from Battle would help alot)
They’d probably borrow from Fighters for most of his moveset and use Battle for his Final Smash like his Energy Ball arm cannon:

Shroob

Sup?
It's in his character trailer.

His only other moves that use his tail are his edge getup attack (which can be easily changed into a kick or something) and his neutral aerial having hitboxes on his tail (which can simply just be removed). So yeah it is pretty suspicious his only real tail move got changed into something else.
Huh.

Well, this honestly bodes well for Dixie, IMO.

Considering Diddy's tail is arguably a focal point of his character model due to its size and shape, there's really no reason to remove that ability unless they had 'something' in mind, aka something that would make using his tail impossible.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Huh.

Well, this honestly bodes well for Dixie, IMO.

Considering Diddy's tail is arguably a focal point of his character model due to its size and shape, there's really no reason to remove that ability unless they had 'something' in mind, aka something that would make using his tail impossible.
I just figured Dixie would use her hair in place of Diddy's tail.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

If relevance is a factor

Because recency isn't an iron-clad rule, it's more like a guideline or a consistent trend. Lack of recent appearance doesn't automatically disqualify a character from being playable, let alone considered.

Shroob

Sup?
I just figured Dixie would use her hair in place of Diddy's tail.
I did too, but in the same time, maybe they found it difficult to animate or something?

If his tail attack really IS gone, it would make sense, since Dixie is also a tailless monkey.

Granted, this could all be a moot point, but it's a possibility.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My 7 Dragon Balls Character predictions

1. Ashley (CRAZY popular in japan)
2. A gen 7 mon (Mimikyu, Decidueye, etc)
3. K. Rool (People want him so why not?)
4. Geno (Sakurai wants him so why not?
5. Dixie (Echo or not, she's got a chance)
6. Simon Belmont (Used to hang with the big boys on the nes)
7. Rayman (Nintendo and Ubisoft have gotten really buddy-buddy recently)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I forgot there are still cool 3rd party possibilities before we jump to things like Goku. We should get those first.
You're absolutely right. We should have Ryu Hayabusa! Marco Rossi! Duke Nukem! Earthworm Jim! (no, seriously, Jim's series situation is so bad right now that Star Fox has it easy in comparison).

Yet he wasn't actually added, and our lineup of newcomers for the last few smash games have pretty much all been characters that were relevant outside of retro picks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sakurai had considered putting Pit in the very first Smash, despite him not being in a game since 1991 at that point in time. Only thing that stopped him was not being able to get the wing physics right in the simpler engine. When he has an idea in mind, he'll usually get a chance to do it sooner or later.

GIBBERT64

Smash Rookie
I think that sakurai might just add 100 characters in the game because this would be his last installment (maybe) add he might wanna go out with a bang
Characters he will probably add
King.k.rool
Dixie Kong
Decidueye
Spring man
Sandbag
Shadow or tails or even Dr.eggman
Geno
Porky
Simon Belmont
Crash
Spyro
Rex and pyra or Mithra
Ken masters
Sub-zero
Dante
Shovel knight
Shantae
Zero
Slyux
Banjo and kazooie
Sepiroth
Chrom
Funky Kong
Lana
Skull kid

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
When you guys are talking about Diddy's tail whip attack, you're talking about his jab 3 and ender, correct? Because if you are, then yeah, it got removed. You can see it in the Diddy video on his character page, its replaced with a generic kick.

Diddy having a gentleman is nice though.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Fair point (though Lucina does not have the same sword as Marth, she has the same sword as Chrom). I disagree though about Lucina being a standard Sword user, and I feel like they truly could have done something unique with her if they really wanted to. The only reason she's an Echo now is because Sakurai originally planned for her to be a Marth alt (because she disguises herself as Marth).

That said, I think at this point, I just want Dixie, or any DK newcomer, Echo or not. I feel like she's just overdue. I agree that I'd rather her as a different, unique character, but at this point, if making her an Echo is all they can do, then I'm fine with it. Just add her already, haha. That said, I'd take the cut of time and resources for making other newcomers and making Dixie a unique fighter over making Dixie an Echo, giving the team the resources to make someone else.

Apparently, Diddy's personal trailer shows his jab, and his jab finisher is different.

So he either is capable of doing a 3 hit combo or rapid jab now, like Captain Falcon and Robin, or he just straight up doesn't have one, like Mario and Link.
Ah, I see. That is an interesting change, but I wonder if they'd specifically change something about a fighter just so that another character can be an Echo of them? Like at that point is it even worth it?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This makes me wonder.

If we accept the school of thought of "There's probably 7 reveals left" how will they show them?

We have effectively 5 months and 2 weeks until the game launches, but will they all be shown just through Directs?

Will Echoes be shown via Directs, or on the site? Daisy didn't get a trailer after all, so it seems like just dropping an Echo on the site during a lull wouldn't be too outlandish of a thought.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that sakurai might just add 100 characters in the game because this would be his last installment (maybe) add he might wanna go out with a bang
King.k.rool
Dixie Kong
Decidueye
Spring man
Sandbag
Geno
Porky
Simon Belmont
Crash
Spyro
Rex and pyra or Mithra
Ken masters
Sub-zero
Dante
Shovel knight
Shantae
Zero
Slyux
Banjo and kazooie
Sepiroth
Chrom
Funky Kong
Lana
Skull kid
I think you might want to lower your expectations a tad. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't be the only one who thinks the idea of Dixie being an echo fighter doesn't really make sense? If anything, she'd be more of a Wolf-type character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fair point (though Lucina does not have the same sword as Marth, she has the same sword as Chrom). I disagree though about Lucina being a standard Sword user, and I feel like they truly could have done something unique with her if they really wanted to. The only reason she's an Echo now is because Sakurai originally planned for her to be a Marth alt (because she disguises herself as Marth).

That said, I think at this point, I just want Dixie, or any DK newcomer, Echo or not. I feel like she's just overdue. I agree that I'd rather her as a different, unique character, but at this point, if making her an Echo is all they can do, then I'm fine with it. Just add her already, haha. That said, I'd take the cut of time and resources for making other newcomers and making Dixie a unique fighter over making Dixie an Echo, giving the team the resources to make someone else.

Ah, I see. That is an interesting change, but I wonder if they'd specifically change something about a fighter just so that another character can be an Echo of them? Like at that point is it even worth it?
Actually she does wield the same sword as Marth. Falchion's hilt and handle just got reforged over the 2000 year time skip. :p

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Guys' let's appreciate how amazing this showfloor at the World Hobby Fair in Tokyo looks. Those murals would make great wall papers.
The characters are in order of first smash appearance and the echoes are right next to their counterpart.

Seems the CSS is going to be in order of first smash appearance. Not that it matters but I would rather have them with their own franchises.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
King.k.rool
Dixie Kong
Decidueye
Spring man
Sandbag
Geno
Porky
Simon Belmont
Crash
Spyro