• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't want Windy Hill to come back. A stage from Forces would be far better.

Speaking of stages, I know it's part of the whole bringing everything back, but they really didn't have to bring back all the stages, especially one's that can, more or less, be recreated in Stage Builder, like Kongo Jungle
Silence.

Kongo Jungle is a national treasure.

Stage Builder can't even begin to capture its greatness.

(I really like that stage, okay?)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
A topic someone mentioned on Reddit:

:ultpacman::ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman:

If we get just one more third-party character, we could have a full 8-player Smash without any Nintendo characters.
Welp. Too many third parties. It's not about Nintendo anymore and now I must cry myself to sleep.

MAH NINTENDO.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Did you guys notice that in the website, in the Mii Fighters video and pics, you can see Mii Brawler doing multiple specials?
Like multiple Up Specials and Down Specials, like that Feint Jump and Head-On Assault, or Piston Punch and Soaring Axe Kick.

They didn't lose Custom Moves... I hope they are the only ones with Customs tbh, doing Customs for all the characters would be a massive waste of time.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I said it the way I wanted to say it. And I'm not taking it back.

If you're upset by that. You have REALLY thin skin.

By all means keep saying 4th party and sounding wrong. Just do whatever the hell you feel like.

And make me out to be a bad guy who upset you if you like as well. I'm usually a scapegoat around here anyways, so why not this time as well?

But moving on.....
We are using an operational definition of:

First Party: A game/character owned by Nintendo.
Second Party: A game/character made by a company that is owned by Nintendo.
Third Party: A game/character that is made by a company that is not owned by Nintendo.
Fourth Party: A non-game character that is made by a company that is not owned by Nintendo.
Fifth Party: A non-game non-character that is made by a company that is not owned by Nintendo.

The way it may "sound" is subjective. Language is used to communicate a point, and this term does so. The only purpose of having rules in language is to facilitate communication. If that quality is maintained, then it doesn't matter if the way the word is used is "right" or "wrong" in conventional circles.

God, it's funny that I'm so obviously a philosophy minor.

So, thank you, I will continue doing "whatever the hell I feel like," in regards to my speech. However, I didn't ask for your approval in the first place. In the future, perhaps consider whether the point you're trying to make is worth making.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope the next batch of Smash news will include the return of the Fountain of Dreams.
I need to see it in HD

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Silence.

Kongo Jungle is a national treasure.

Stage Builder can't even begin to capture its greatness.

(I really like that stage, okay?)
Maybe not one to one, but I think it would be better time spent creating dynamic stages than those that can be recreated in stage builder. And speaking of stage builder, I really hope it's made more dynamic with more gimmicks to use.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe not one to one, but I think it would be better time spent creating dynamic stages than those that can be recreated in stage builder. And speaking of stage builder, I really hope it's made more dynamic with more gimmicks to use.
Stage Builder can't create pretty background stuff and isn't a a proper reflection of each series.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So, thank you, I will continue doing "whatever the hell feel like," in regards to my speech. However, I didn't ask for your approval in the first place. In the future, perhaps consider whether the point you're trying to make is worth making.
It was worth making, but moving on again.

Actually no. Not moving on since ya'll refuse to drop this? Let me just obliterate how dumb this word you guys have coined is....

By definition. Pure definition?

Mickey Mouse is a third party character to Nintendo, because he's owned by Disney. If he were implied to be 4th party. It'd mean that to get to him you'd be reaching out to more than one party or company and that's just not accurate now is it?

So that. That is why. That is why I told you guys to perhaps stop using that word? It's a very very very odd and wrong way of saying ''non-video game character."

But no I'm some mean monster.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't mind either way if Windy Hill comes back (The normal stage at the very least was pretty good widespread stage for 8-Player Smash that's not too big nor too small). Though I do hope Pac-Maze returns. It was just so weird to have Pac-Man's undeniably more iconic stage only on the 3DS version. While Wii U got this really obscure and probably one of the worst stages in the series in not just the autoscrolling but the sheer design of the stage being tough on the eyes.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Would Rayman be more interesting than Crash?

Honest question because Rayman has a ton of abilities classic Crash, not so much from what I can recall.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I came into this thread only to see people talking about fourth-parties and chairs.

Apparently, I missed a lot.

I'll take a bet on that as well. K. Rool is popular, but he still has plenty of hurdles to jump over if he wants to get in Smash.
King K. Rool is a shoo-in

For the next Donkey Kong Country game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else find it kind of weird how chummy Nintendo and Microsoft have gotten? I think that Minecraft stage rumor is fairly plausible. In a weird way, Smash is strangely diplomatic and the third parties Nintendo works with in the development of the games come out on the other side a lot friendlier. I think it's because of how esteemed Smash is as a series and getting invited to be a part of it is kind of like being accepted into the Video Games Hall of Fame.

D

Deleted member

Actually no. Not moving on since ya'll refuse to drop this? Let me just obliterate how dumb this word you guys have coined is....

Mickey Mouse is a third party character to Nintendo, because he's owned by Disney. If he were implied to be 4th party. It'd mean that to get to him you'd be reaching out to more than one party or company and that's just not accurate now is it?

So that. That is why. That is why I told you guys to perhaps stop using that word? It's a very very very odd and wrong way of saying ''non-video game character."

I agree that the 4th Party thing is absolutely stupid.

....but maybe chill out a bit.
It's been brought up several times before and they clearly don't care. Getting hostile isn't going to be what makes them stop. Just let them say something stupid. :p

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Goku would technically require tons of hurdles and asking permission from multiple companies as the copyright on that character is freaking insane

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
So...

It seems we have the return of every third party stage barring Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze.
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Do you see Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze coming back?

Do you see us getting any new stages from these series?

What assist trophies do you think we will get from these series?

New music?
Pac Maze is coming back for sure, it's pretty much the World 1-1/Green Hill Zone of Pacman.

As for Assist Trophies, addingrid Akuma as a Street Fighter Assist so he can Raging Demon all day.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So...

It seems we have the return of every third party stage barring Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze.
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Do you see Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze coming back?

Do you see us getting any new stages from these series?

What assist trophies do you think we will get from these series?

New music?
Please for the love of God do not bring back Windy Hill. We do not need two Green Hills in one game from a series that has already worn its fans out to death over GHZ's oversaturation. I will take literally anything else.

Pac Maze not being seen yet makes a bit of sense. Its one of the few stages whose main gimmick took advantage of the fact that everyone has their own screen in the 3DS Version (Each player having their own count of pellets and the ghosts only becoming blue on their screen should they collect a Power Pellet). So they'd have to make its gimmick a bit different. But they'll probably make it work, it's the friggin Pac Man maze after all.

Anyway, I don't see any of these guys getting new stages. For the most part, all of their most iconic locations are accounted for, so anything else is just fluff. I would kill to see a Mania Stage, Planet's Core, The Jet from Bayo 2, and other such stages though.

In terms of assists, Gray Fox will probably come back, and we already have Knuckles, Elec Man, Rodin, and the Ghosts. I guess talking purely Cloud and Ryu, I'd love to see Tifa or a non-7 FF character, and for Ryu, It'd be neat to see someone like Vega, Guile, or Chun Li.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Which Goku are we talking about?

Also I want Chun Li and Tifa to be in this game real bad as characters.

It won't happen but mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

Also Sephy fighting Eggman would be too much but I want it so bad.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Goku would technically require tons of hurdles and asking permission from multiple companies as the copyright on that character is freaking insane
And that is the real reason why we won't be getting any non-video game characters not owned by Nintendo for Smash Ultimate.

Shroob

Sup?
Your roster theory with the original 12 together at the top will be ruined by Dark Samus as an echo. It's looking likely. No assist trophy in sight, no skin and Ridley's victory is an evil Metroid theme instead of his theme which would also be used for Dark Samus.
It was the E3 build. Really quick to jump the gun when only 29 out of "50+" were shown.

And for that other point, so what?

Bowser had a unique victory theme in Brawl iirc, as did Meta Knight, I don't see how the 'bad guys' having a more metal version of their heroes' theme means anything.

D

Deleted member

A chair should be playable in Smash. I mean think about it.
  1. Chairs are iconic because literally everyone on this planet knows what a chair is.
  2. Chairs are hugely popular because everyone frequently uses one in their lives.
  3. Chairs are integral to Smash history because chairs have always aided the Smash development team in their work for every single game. They deserve recognition.
  4. Chairs have a huge gaming history due to appearing in thousands of video games.
  5. Chairs have a huge uniqueness potential. No-one in the roster fights like a chair. No-one in the roster is a chair.
  6. If we can have a mannequin and a 2D guy as playable, why not a chair?

Just slap a pair of googly eyes on a chair and you're looking at instant playable material right here!
**** that, we need No. 1 Crate for Smash.
1529702492047.jpeg

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It was the E3 build. Really quick to jump the gun when only 29 out of "50+" were shown.

Bowser had a unique victory theme in Brawl iirc, as did Meta Knight, I don't see how the 'bad guys' having a more metal version of their heroes' theme means anything.
Rosalina also has her own victory theme.

Truly among the most un-redeemable villains in all of gaming.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

col·lo·qui·al·ism /kəˈlōkwēəˌlizəm/
  • a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
No one is being confused by the terminology. It is pointless to argue that it is "wrong" as it serves the primary purpose of language, which is to communicate an idea.

I did not indicate that you are "some mean monster." This is known as a red herring. It's a logical fallacy, and you might want to look it up.

Also, I wasn't going to mention this, but...
Why oh why? Must we used this word ''fourth party."
The proper way to punctuate this sentence is to write the following:

Why, oh why must we use this word, "fourth party?"

D

Deleted member

Bowser only got a different theme in Smash 4. The same game Bowser Jr. ended up being playable and used the same theme.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I agree that the 4th Party thing is absolutely stupid.

....but maybe chill out a bit.
It's been brought up several times before and they clearly don't care. Getting hostile isn't going to be what makes them stop. Just let them say something stupid. :p
I wasn't getting hostile until I apparently said it wrong and apparently said something that was so soul crushing that it upset them.

Like what? That upset them? Really?

It consistently happens to me with the stupidest things on this board.

Like that's the thing that bugs me most to be honest.

Shroob

Sup?
Bowser only got a different theme in Smash 4. The same game Bowser Jr. ended up being playable and used the same theme.
Fair, but Meta Knight's always had his theme, and we haven't had any new Kirby villains to share it with.

People jumping the gun "Because Ridley's victory theme is a more evil Samus' theme" is silly.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
  • a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
No one is being confused by the terminology. It is pointless to argue that it is "wrong" as it serves the primary purpose of language, which is to communicate an idea.

I did not indicate that you are "some mean monster." This is known as a red herring. It's a logical fallacy, and you might want to look it up.

See. This. This is splitting hairs and being an asshole to boot, but I never was one ONCE in this thread.

But I'm painted as the one that is.

Like big deal I missed a coma. I'm not writing something that is going to be published or needs to be proof read.

And yes I know that will be turned against me as well, so I'll just see myself out.

Since once again I'm clearly in the wrong and no one ever misinterprets my intentions or words or anything.

Jesus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fair, but Meta Knight's always had his theme, and we haven't had any new Kirby villains to share it with.

People jumping the gun "Because Ridley's victory theme is a more evil Samus' theme" is silly.
Meta Knight isn't really a "villain", though.
And the reason he got his own at the time of Brawl was simply because the main Kirby one was completely unfitting. Whereas someone like Bowser got his own victory theme later for the purpose of sharing it with related characters like Bowser Jr./the Koopalings.
Though if we were to hypothetically get someone like Dark Meta Knight or Galacta Knight? They'd likely share the same victory theme as Meta Knight because of their similarities.

The reason why in Dark Samus' and Ridley's case, the theme is significant is because instead of something that would only relate to Ridley, such as how Rosalina got something from Galaxy and Dark Pit got a part of his main theme, Ridley's victory theme is a general "dark" reprise of the main Metroid victory theme Samus and Zero Suit Samus use. In that sense, it would make sense for the theme to be used for another villainous Metroid character.
And since there's the whole deal of Dark Samus being mysteriously absent as both an Assist and palette swap for Samus AND the concept of Echo Fighters.....Ridley having a general "dark" reprise of the standard victory theme only adds fuel to the speculation of Dark Samus' debut as a fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Omg you're such a grammar nazi

That's a joke. Please don't kill me

dezeray112

Smash Hero
:ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultpacman:have their assist trophies revealed already, unless Shadow is still an assist trophy in Sonic's case.

I don't see any more from those series.

:ultryu: should have Chun Li as an assist trophy.

:ultsnake: should have Raiden as an assist trophy.

:ultmegaman: should go wild and give me some crazy **** like Tron Bonne as the assist trophy.

:ultcloud: if limiting to his own game? Tifa would be great. Aerith maybe as well. Tifa could be a standard attack assist trophy. Aerith could apply status effects to her summoner. If not? Terra Branford/Chocobo/Moogle for someone more closely related to Nintendo.
:ultryu: - Candidates for Assist Trophies: Chun-Li, Guile, M. Bison.

:ultsnake: - Candidates for Assist Trophies: Raiden

:ultmegaman: - Candidates for Assist Trophies: Elec-Man was already an assist trophy back in the 3DS/Wii-U versions and I think it is possible that he could return. I would also like to see Zero as an assist trophy.

:ultcloud: - Candidates for Assist Trophies: Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Vincent, Sephiroth.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
You dismiss us like we are nothing, but we are something, just as you are.
Uh, what?
I literally only said that K.rool is not as big as people make him out to be and now I somehow dismissed people like they don't exist? This is getting absurd.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Don't want Windy Hill to come back. A stage from Forces would be far better.

Speaking of stages, I know it's part of the whole bringing everything back, but they really didn't have to bring back all the stages, especially one's that can, more or less, be recreated in Stage Builder, like Kongo Jungle
My pick for a new Sonic stage would be the Mirage Saloon Zone from Sonic Mania.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean to be fair James Bond was planned for smash at one point in time.
Yup, but at least you can argue he is significant to Nintendo and gaming history due to the impact Goldeneye 007 had on first-person shooters as well as being one of the biggest games on the N64.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
See. This. This is splitting hairs and being an ******* to boot, but I never was one ONCE in this thread.
The point I'm attempting to make by being so needlessly blunt in my previous point was that you, too, were being needlessly critical of others' way of communicating on this site.

Like big deal I missed a coma. I'm not writing something that is going to be published or needs to be proof read.

And yes I know that will be turned against me as well, so I'll just see myself out.
As you seem to realize, the point being made is that no one here is writing with the intention of being proof-read or published. To criticize for mistakes in terminology is equally unnecessary as criticizing for grammar or spelling errors.

I apologize that I was unnecessarily short in my reply, but you were needlessly critical. I don't wish to continue this discussion, as it's aggravating multiple people here. However, know that I don't have any hard feelings, and I'm not assuming anything negative about your character for the future. I merely ask that you don't continue to nitpick at others in the future.

Untouch

Smash Master
Honestly Goku making it in would open the floodgates to so much dumb ****, if just being on a nintendo system is all it takes, can we have hulk hogan next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom