• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Why oh why? Must we used this word ''fourth party."

So unintelligent sounding. So laughable.

There's first party, second party, and third party.

4th party is literally impossible.
It's a lot catchier than "non-video game character".

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I feel like if Sora ended up in Smash Sakurai would actually go out of his way to have Goofy and Donald appear in his final smash

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Can I just say it feels so good to list Ridley's stock icon under my name for mains finally?

So good

sweet victory
Wake up, Phaazoid! Wake up!

You were dreaming and saying something about Ridley.

You missed the Smash Ultimate presentation when they confirmed Anthony Higgs and the return of Pyrosphere with the Ridley boss!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Eh, we're just using it for ease of communication. After all, what is language if not a way to communicate information easily?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's a lot catchier than "non-video game character".
Nah. It's not catchy.

It just makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to legal rights and how copyright and ownership works.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I remember Sakurai said the same thing about "not so many newcomers this time" also for Smash4.

Moreover K Rool is 100% in, I'm sure about this the same way I was for Ridley. No reason to ignore such large fanbases of long overrequested characters

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In this thread, we see the age-old linguistics debate of descriptivism vs prescriptivism.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nah. It's not catchy.

It just makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to legal rights and how copyright and ownership works.
Who cares, really? There's no authority on when words are "right" or wrong. If I'm communicating my point, then the word works.

That's Aurora, not Cinderella. I watch too much Disney.
Yeah, I realized my mistake a bit earlier. I edited it.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If he comes with "Ultimate Battle", we golden.

EDIT:
A character we would never see coming.
Is that a Joker stock icon? That looks cool as hell.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

So... like one person said it on the last page lol.
And do you have a substitute to suggest? Otherwise you just come across real pompous.

There needs to be a distinction otherwise saying Third-Parties now includes the likes of Goku and Mickey Mouse. As others have said on here, we aren't arguing legal battles right now so it's not like the terminology is that terrible if it helps us communicate our point.
Is that a Joker stock icon? That looks cool as hell.
Yes and they made it! It's in my newcomer stock Icon thread, go check it out! (I'm awfully at linking things, but it's with the other newcomer support threads)

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I think that years of requests and the fact that Dragon Ball FighterZ is coming to Switch within the next few months, combined with both 4 and Ultimate being co-developed by Bandai Namco around the same time FighterZ was in development, means that Goku being in Ultimate's roster, or at least a possibility for DLC, is the most likely that it has been and ever will be. Smash has a history of including characters for the sake of promoting another game or property, and while that obviously wouldn't be the only reason Goku would be included, FighterZ's development and subsequent port to Switch may well be the tipping point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Non-video game character.

Because that's what they are.

They're not fourth party. Nor will they ever be.

I'm just trying to make people sound a little more intelligent. Sorry if that's some major crime that upsets everybody.

"Woooo. He's a bad guy. He's trying to make people speak right!" :rolleyes:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think that Toon Zelda doesn't make much sense while Tetra does.

Though Toon and Pig Ganon would be interesting.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yes and they made it! It's in my newcomer stock Icon thread, go check it out! (I'm awfully at linking things, but it's with the other newcomer support threads)
Oooooh, nice! I'll have to go look at it.

Also, the day Joker gets into Smash Bros is the day I can finally die happy.

D

Deleted member

Non-video game character.

Because that's what they are.

They're not fourth party. Nor will they ever be.

I'm just trying to make people sound a little more intelligent. Sorry if that's some major crime that upsets everybody.

"Woooo. He's a bad guy. He's trying to make people speak right!" :rolleyes:
Trying to correct us isn't what upsets everybody.
It's how you say it that does. Look at your OP again and think about it for a second.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Speaking of top 7, in terms of what I want, be it in SSBU or a future smash game, those would be the following:

-Shadow as a unique fighter
-Paper Mario
-Young Link with Transformation Masks
-Krystal
-Wolf Link & Midna
-Meowth & Alolan Meowth as an Echo
-Banjo & Kazooie

In terms of realistic for SSBU:

-Shadow as an Echo due to Knuckles being an assist
-Simon, simply due to the rumors.
-K. Rool due to Sakurai acknowledging his fan popularity, which we know is the reason Ridley got in.
-Dark Samus as an Echo, due to Samus lacking a Dark Samus costume.
-Geno, same reason as Ridley and K. Rool.
-Bandana Dee because he's a popular Kirby character
-Rayman or Rabbids due to the Mario/Rabbids crossover

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The day Goku makes it into Smash is the day someone being in Smash means nothing to me.
A chair should be playable in Smash. I mean think about it.
  1. Chairs are iconic because literally everyone on this planet knows what a chair is.
  2. Chairs are hugely popular because everyone frequently uses one in their lives.
  3. Chairs are integral to Smash history because chairs have always aided the Smash development team in their work for every single game. They deserve recognition.
  4. Chairs have a huge gaming history due to appearing in thousands of video games.
  5. Chairs have a huge uniqueness potential. No-one in the roster fights like a chair. No-one in the roster is a chair.
  6. If we can have a mannequin and a 2D guy as playable, why not a chair?

Just slap a pair of googly eyes on a chair and you're looking at instant playable material right here!

Pakky

Smash Hero
  1. Chairs are iconic because literally everyone on this planet knows what a chair is.
  2. Chairs are hugely popular because everyone frequently uses one in their lives.
  3. Chairs are integral to Smash history because chairs have always aided the Smash development team in their work for every single game. They deserve recognition.
  4. Chairs have a huge gaming history due to appearing in thousands of video games.
  5. Chairs have a huge uniqueness potential. No-one in the roster fights like a chair. No-one in the roster is a chair.

Just slap a pair of googly eyes on a chair and you're looking at instant playable material right here!
So you're taking about a Pokemon from gen 8, right?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Trying to correct us isn't what upsets everybody.
It's how you say it that does. Look at your OP again and think about it for a second.
I said it the way I wanted to say it. And I'm not taking it back.

If you're upset by that. You have REALLY thin skin.

By all means keep saying 4th party and sounding wrong. Just do whatever the hell you feel like.

And make me out to be a bad guy who upset you if you like as well. I'm usually a scapegoat around here anyways, so why not this time as well?

But moving on.....

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

It seems we have the return of every third party stage barring Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze.
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Do you see Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze coming back?

Do you see us getting any new stages from these series?

What assist trophies do you think we will get from these series?

New music?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's called fourth party because I'll throw four parties if Donald Duck is in Smash

Maybe Sakurai might make the Strawman playable since it's so popular in the Smash fanbase too :4dedede:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I remember Sakurai said the same thing about "not so many newcomers this time" also for Smash4.

Moreover K Rool is 100% in, I'm sure about this the same way I was for Ridley. No reason to ignore such large fanbases of long overrequested characters
*Sniffs shoe* Well, since it looks like I'm off the hook for my last bet (As long as Simon doesn't get in), I'm feeling gutsy.

How much you wanna bet?? :)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean, if we were to somehow get a Persona character...

Well, I know we'll never see it coming.

Just be wary of any leaks that might have one, though. Always reach out for the truth above all else.

If we do get a Persona rep though, hope someone will mirror match me, so I can face myself.

...What?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here is my newest top seven candidates for Smash Bros. Ultimate:
1. A new Pokemon rep - I think an Alolan region based Pokemon is a likely newcomer. My choices would be between Decidueye or Mimikyu.
2. A second Xenoblade rep - To be honest I'm not exactly too fussed whether it is between Elma or Rex & Pyra. I would be satisifed if either of the two make it into the roster.
3. Simon Belmont - Now, I know that Vergeben does have a bit of a spotty record and it is only going to be a matter of time to see whether he is correct or not. But even so, Simon's Castlevania series does have quite a history with Nintendo consoles in the past and would make a viable Smash contender.
4. A retro rep - Nintendo's retro reps always intrugues and surprise me within Smash. Personally, I am hoping for Excitebiker or perhaps Ayumi Tachibana.
5. Another third party character - There are a number of third party characters that I would like to see in Smash and I have a feeling they may or may not put another third party character. Personal picks would be Heihachi Mishima of Tekken, Terry Bogard of Fatal Fury, Jack Frost of Shin Megami Tensei.

Echo Characters:
6. A Street Fighter echo character: As a long time fan of Street Fighter, I can easily predict which characters can fit as Ryu's echo character. The most likely candidate would be Ken Masters. Although there are others who can fit as an echo character of Ryu which could also be Akuma or even Sakura.
7. Chrom - Whilst we have yet to see whether he features within Robin's Final Smash, Chrom could easily be an echo character of Ike.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Maybe Sakurai might make the Strawman playable since it's so popular in the Smash fanbase too :4dedede:
When even Sakurai has repeatedly rejected Goku because of how unreasonable he is, there is no valid arguments for him. The only ones with unreasonable points are the ones who think Goku has a valid chance.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
:ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultpacman:have their assist trophies revealed already, unless Shadow is still an assist trophy in Sonic's case.

I don't see any more from those series.

:ultryu: should have Chun Li as an assist trophy.

:ultsnake: should have Raiden as an assist trophy.

:ultmegaman: should go wild and give me some crazy **** like Tron Bonne as the assist trophy.

:ultcloud: if limiting to his own game? Tifa would be great. Aerith maybe as well. Tifa could be a standard attack assist trophy. Aerith could apply status effects to her summoner. If not? Terra Branford/Chocobo/Moogle for someone more closely related to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I came into this thread only to see people talking about fourth-parties and chairs.

Apparently, I missed a lot.

I'll take a bet on that as well. K. Rool is popular, but he still has plenty of hurdles to jump over if he wants to get in Smash.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A topic someone mentioned on Reddit:

:ultpacman::ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman:

If we get just one more third-party character, we could have a full 8-player Smash without any Nintendo characters.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
So...

It seems we have the return of every third party stage barring Windy Hill Zone and Pac-Maze.

New music?
Don't want Windy Hill to come back. A stage from Forces would be far better.

Speaking of stages, I know it's part of the whole bringing everything back, but they really didn't have to bring back all the stages, especially one's that can, more or less, be recreated in Stage Builder, like Kongo Jungle

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A topic someone mentioned on Reddit:

:ultpacman::ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultsnake::ultryu::ultmegaman:

If we get just one more third-party character, we could have a full 8-player Smash without any Nintendo characters.
I vote Dovahkiin!

Actually, now that I think about it, 'Smash Ultimate' is shattering expectations so Goku isn't too out of the question. Ugh, I really need Dovahkiin to swallow that one.

So...

New music?
I hope we get the Maze. Pac-Land is horrifcally ugly. Maze looked awesome.

I wonder if they'd bring back Grey Fox for Snake. Chun-Li would be recognizable enough for Street Fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom