• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Here are my 9 potential newcomers based on how likely they are (these are just my picks)

-Simon (Castlevania) - One of the likeliest to join due to amount of rumors and quite a bit of Konami representation being this game (which bewilders me still...). Also, massive NES representation.

-Rayman (Rayman) - Ubisoft and Nintendo are extremely buddy/buddy and Rayman is one of the more requested characters to be in Smash.

High

-Shadow (Sonic Echo) - Shadow is still nowhere to be seen as an Assist Trophy and we got Knuckles as a new one. If Shadow is not an Assist Trophy, no way they will just cut out the 2nd most popular character in the series, they will likely take advantage of Echoes (heh...) and put him as one. Plus he's being promoted in Team Sonic Racing and was the only character besides Sonic and the OC to be playable in Forces.

-Dark Samus (Metroid, Samus Echo) - Basically the same boat as Shadow. Plus it wouldn't be surprising considering Metroid Prime 4. Also, Samus losing her Dark Samus alternate is definitely worthy of raising a few questions.

Mid

-Decidueye (Pokemon) - I think the most popular starter of Gen 7 and was in Pokken so that isn't nothing. He could be the Greninja of this game, plus it'd be cool to see Grass types in this game.

-Banjo (Banjo-Kazooie) - Microsoft rep and would fit the most in Smash of all of them. I'd MUCH prefer him over someone like Steve.

-King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) - I place him mid because I don't know for sure if he's gonna make it, however that's what we all said about Ridley and here we are. It's just that he isn't as certain as Ridley, but he's got a chance.

-Crash (Crash Bandicoot) - Basically 3rd party, but a classic part of Sony's legacy. Crash is also coming to Switch soon and imagine a fight between Cloud, Snake and Crash. It'd be a dream fight.

Low

-Chrom (Fire Emblem, Ike Echo) - Definitely the lowest of the newcomers I placed here, but with the concept Echoes and the meme he's become in Smash 4 and seeing how that worked out for Ridley, who knows. Plus Chrom is still prevalent in Fire Emblem with him being in Fire Emblem Warriors and has an amiibo. I wouldn't count too much on it, though. This is purely a biased pick from me because I really want to see him playable, especially after the brutal beating he got in Smash 4.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
My newcomer prediction (with a few hopefuls), though I'll be ignoring the 7 character limit.

(Echo of :ultryu:)

Taking out any one of Dixie, K. Rool or Isaac; then Bandana Dee, Tails and Crash would meet the 7 limit. XD

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Going off five unique fighters and 2 echoes...

1 - K Rool or Dixie, but not both. I fully expect at least one Donkey Kong rep to have a shot, but both of them with limited newcomer space, nope.
2 - Elma. Her game came out earlier in Japan than worldwide so Sakurai probably had a chance to play it/view Japanese fan reactions to get her a spot.
3 - Gen 7 Rep. Another Greninja situation, likely a starter.
4 - Isaac. Many people are doubtful and they have every right to be, but I do believe Isaac's done better than the vocal majority believe, though I have no proof of this aside from a gut feeling.
5 - Geno. If we're getting a third party, I feel like going for the biggest fan favourite in Geno would work wonders.

Echo Characters:

6 - Isabelle. A villager echo as she probably doesn't have the material to make a fully original moveset, and is the face of Animal Crossing at this point.
7 - Chrom. I doubt we'll get another Fire Emblem character, but as someone who isn't subscribed to the 3rd party echo theory or the Dark Samus theory, Chrom was my only other option (I've already expressed disinterest in the Octolings due to how they'd clutter up the stage with their own ink on top of the inklings).

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think Impa has a good shot at being an echo fighter, but at the same time that would mean more than half of the Zelda cast consists of fighters based on other fighters...

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
1. King K Rool (I think he'll be another popular request character like Ridley)
2. Dixie Kong (DK is big enough to warrant 2 newcomers, she'd work as a Luigi-ish semi-clone rather than an echo)
3. Simon Belmont (Even without that leak I think Konami's involvment makes him a top third party possibility)
4. Gen 7 Pokemon (Probably another Greninja situation, I just can't see who it'll be though, all of the frontrunners have things going for them)
5. Bandanna Dee (He's really important to the series at this point)

Echoes:
6. Isabelle (If being an echo ruins her character or something let me know because I haven't played Animal Crossing)
7. Dark Samus (That missing alt is incredibly suspicious)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In really weird news, the German box art of Smash Bros Ultimate has removed Yoshi to make room for the USK rating logo.

View attachment 149584

Zinith Zinith Will not be happy.
Oh I am WELL aware of that travesty Pacack!! That story's almost a week old but I didn't bring it up in this thread because I felt it wasn't on-topic, so I ******* about it elsewhere.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I think Impa has a good shot at being an echo fighter, but at the same time that would mean more than half of the Zelda cast consists of fighters based on other fighters...
This is largely the reason why I want Impa in her Hyrule Warriors form. She's easily my top pick for Smash, above everything else (and who I voted for in the Ballot).

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I actually haven't done my list yet, so I'm doing this on the fly.

1.) Geno - I've been pushing for him since Brawl. I think having Sakurai on his side is a huge factor for his potential inclusion. Also he seemed to be a unique case when it came to his costume as well. With Square on board from the start, I think this is his best shot to get in.
2.) King K. Rool - I know there were heated debates yesterday about him, but I'm a firm believer that he is a Nintendo All-Star. DKC was a huge series on the SNES, and he played a huge role in DK64. I know he hasn't been "relevant" since then, but he was a top villain in his day. I think DK needs more representation, and I think he'd be more unique than Dixie (even though I'd be happy if we saw her too). There is also no denying his popularity, and I think that counts for something too.
3.) Bandana Dee - I don't know a lot about Bandana Dee, but I do think he is near the top in terms of popularity. We didn't get a fourth Kirby rep in Smash 4, so I can definitely see them getting another one this time around. I think he could be very unique.
4.) Ashley - Again, I don't know a ton about Ashley, but she was an AT last time around, had a costume, and she has tons of popularity. Throw in the fact she would make a unique character, and I think she'd be a nice addition.
5.) Simon Belmont - I think I'm letting the leak skew my opinion on this one. But I think he would be an interesting character and there is no doubt he has popularity and Castlevania is a pretty big series in Nintendo's history despite it being third party.
6.) Chrom (echo) or new gen FE rep - I can absolutely see Chrom getting in as they kind of did him dirty last time around. No doubt a popular character, but I can see them going with a new FE rep too.
7.) Shadow or Dark Samus as an echo - I personally think the Sonic series is the only one that will potentially get an echo character. Even though both of these characters are different, I can see them being made into an echo character whether it makes sense or not.

I will always hope for Banjo Kazooie, but I don't think they'll get in being from Microsoft now. Also honourable mention to Isabelle. I think he popularity could get her in, I just don't think we need another Animal Crossing rep. I wouldn't be upset if she got in, but she'd be 8th on my list. Also I think Impa just missed my list too. Although, I think we'll get more than 7 new characters.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
This is largely the reason why I want Impa in her Hyrule Warriors form. She's easily my top pick for Smash, above everything else (and who I voted for in the Ballot).
I don't think we're getting anything from a Zelda game not made by Nintendo at this point. Besides, Skyward Sword Impa is cooler than her HW version imo. Firstly, because her cape was badass and secondly because we'd finally get a darker skinned woman.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd rather have Skyward Sword Impa if she's gonna be an echo of Sheik. Firstly, because her cape was badass and secondly because we'd finally get a darker skinned female.
Why not combine both into one? Certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Why not combine both into one? Certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
I think Nintendo and Sakurai are too prideful to use spinoff material made by a different company for one of their big first party franchises.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
While that's true, this time every Zelda character is strictly representing one game (or for the sake of Young Link and Toon Link, one iteration of that character).

Shiek is sort of a weird situation. But for the most part she is BOTW inspired. So I think if Impa gets in she'll be 100% SS or HW (or OOT but I'd rather not as it's already represented by 1 and a half characters).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah...

NAH NAH NAH, NAAH NAH NAH NAAH, NAAH NAH NAH NAAAH NAH NAH NAH NA-

sorry

Anyways, I'm looking forward to what other tracks they'll have. I mean, we now have the MGS series back, I would love to hear RULES OF NATURE.
That would almost make up for not having MGR Raiden in. Almost.

Has there been any new information on Smash yet of some kind?
Nah. We're all chewing at the bit for forthcoming info right now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think we're getting anything from a Zelda game not made by Nintendo at this point. Besides, Skyward Sword Impa is cooler than her HW version imo. Firstly, because her cape was badass and secondly because we'd finally get a darker skinned woman.
Isn't Hyrule Warriors Impa also dark skinned? Yeah she's lighter then Skyward Sword Impa but there is still a clear skin tone difference.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wait, that cape was badass and I don't mean to rain on the parade but would she even have it? I don't know **** about modeling and none of us fully understand echo fighters, but would that cape cause too many issues in making her an echo of Shiek? There are models of that Impa without a cape so I think those might be more likely...but I really hope not!

PlayerOneTyler

This is true! I'd love a more diverse cast skin color-wise. As I said, I'm just biased-- I love Hyrule Warriors (and just want her really cool sword) haha. Skyward Sword would definitely be my top pick for a Nintendo-designed Impa. I just don't want the OoT version.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Isn't Hyrule Warriors Impa also dark skinned? Yeah she's lighter then Skyward Sword Impa but there is still a clear skin tone difference.

Hyrule Warriors default Impa isn't really dark-skinned. More fair-skinned if anything. Her alt based on Skyward Sword though, is.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
TOP 20 PICKS

Newcomers:
01. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven Megamix)
02. Cross/Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
03. Decidueye (Pokemon Sun & Moon)

Honarable Mentions:
04. Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze)
05. Impa (Skyward Sword)
06. Bandana Waddle Dee (Star Allies)
07. Issac (Golden Sun)

Mii Costumes:
08. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
09. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
10. Chrom (Fire Emblem Awakening)

Third Party:
11. Simon Belmont (Castlevania) *Konami
12. Rayman (Rayman Legends) *Ubisoft
13. Crash (Crash Bandicoot) *Activision
14. Banjo (Banjo & Kazooie) *Rare
15. Sora (Kingdom Hearts) *Square Enix
16. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia) *Namco
17. Shovel Knight (Indie) *Yachet Club Games

DLC:
18. Springman (ARMS)
19. Rex/Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
20. Byleth (Fire Emblem Three Houses)

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
My seven predicts are:
  • King K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong (Ridley reveal made me believe in my dreams once more)
  • Simon Belmont
  • Geno
  • Rayman
  • Decidueye
  • Sora
I want to make clear that even if I end up like a prophet it's just speculation. Sometimes... I'm extremely lucky for no reason, like the world is trying to joke with me or balancing stuff.Unfornately I never won much money in the lottery.
But one time I decided to make a 5 characters iron man with a friend, both should use random everytime a new character enters, and I got exactly my 5 "most played" characters. Completely no sense.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Hyrule Warriors default Impa isn't really dark-skinned. More fair-skinned if anything. Her alt based on Skyward Sword though, is.
I think what Swamp means is that she's darker than the other characters.

Either way, she's definitely lighter skinned in HW than she is in SS.

EDIT: Both of my images were broken for the comparison so heck it. lol.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Wait, that cape was badass and I don't mean to rain on the parade but would she even have it? I don't know **** about modeling and none of us fully understand echo fighters, but would that cape cause too many issues in making her an echo of Shiek? There are models of that Impa without a cape so I think those might be more likely...but I really hope not!
Crap....I didn't even think about any potential clipping issue regarding the cape & Sheik's animations. It's even on her right side too so that is a problem...dang it.

Ah well, SS Impa is still cool even without the cape.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I wonder how many people are upset that Charizard solo isn't playable.
You can essentially still play Zard solo, as there's no stamina and you can switch on the revival platform without making it go away. Losing Rock Smash sucks for his disadvantage state, but he still has a super armor combo breaker in Fly, and Pokemon Change can be used as a dodge in disadvantage if needed.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There are moments where she isn't wearing her cape.

View attachment 149654
Actually regarding this I'm trying to find footage of her in Skyward Sword with the cape and I can not find any anywhere?! Like I vividly remember that cape but almost the entire game has her without it. There's tons of concept art and even her smash 4 trophy had the cape...which is more poncho like actually.

At most she might throw it off or something as her battle entrance lol.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Roster prediction assuming seven newcomers: King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Elma, Mimikyu, Bandana Dee, Chorus Kids, Simon

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well it went up for pre order on nintendo uk's store so naturally i order my copy

and a new game cube controller

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a thought.

Judging by the logos...

I say we can effectively deconfirm any character from Final Fantasy that isn't from Final Fantasy VII.

The logo for the game is specifically for Final Fantasy VII meaning other games are not counted.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
So the Forbidden 7 have finally been upgraded to the Potential 7, huh?

Here's my list:

1.) King K. Rool - Insanely popular pick among the fandom; Sakurai knows this and evem acknowledged it with a Mii Costume. Almost certainly did well on the ballot, although to what extent we can't be sure on. Also helps breathe fresh air into a realtively timely characters who also helps up the villain count as well as the hugely popular DK series to three characters to finally have a sizeable roster no one should complain about.

2.) Bandana Waddle Dee - Currently has a pretty big following, is one of the main reoccuring characters in the Kirby series, and had a star role in the latest game as of this game's development time.

3.) Captain Toad or Geno (if he counts as a Mario rep) - I can honestly see Mario getting more than just one newcomer, and while Geno has a cult following which was acknowledged by a costume and Sakurai stating he actually wanted him, I can see Captain Toad being added as he's currently the most relevant Mario character and offers a gimmick I can personally see Sakurai wanting to tackle; along with his game actually selling well on a console that was practically dead and only ever sold in the low double digits of millions to begin with.

4.) A Pokémon rep, whether Gen 7 or a surprise pick. This is personally because I think 9 is a weird amount of characters for such a Triple A series to have, and also because we've had an established trend every game. Can't fully say who though.

5.) Ashley - While not the most popular of series, Wario has established his own series of games that have sold decently well and Ashley remains an insanely popular pick in Japan. If any unique fighter is to come from the previous ATs, it's her.

6.) Isabelle - While she COULD offer a unique moveset conpared to Villager, I feel she'll likely end up as an Echo or semi-clone at best. I believe she'll make it due to her insane amount of popularity, the huge amount of advertising Ninty give her, and as well as her being the face of a HUGE IP.

7.) A Third Party/Echo Fighter/Retro, or Sakurai pick - Don't gotta do much explaining for this. Another placeholder of things that probably will happen.

Edit: Shoot. Forgot Elma. Make her interchangeable with Ashley.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's a thought.

Judging by the logos...

I say we can effectively deconfirm any character from Final Fantasy that isn't from Final Fantasy VII.

The logo for the game is specifically for Final Fantasy VII meaning other games are not counted.
So what you're saying is that we can expect
? (that or Zack as an alt or echo)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a thought.

Judging by the logos...

On that note, Tifa AT when? I'd be fine with my main gal of that game getting in that way.

D

Deleted member

Just a question, is Prince Sable deconfirmed already?
Amongst the surprise retro choices, him and Takamaru seemed to be the most likely to me.
His Assist Trophy hasn't showed up... yet.
I'm positive that he will be among the next wave of disconfirmed characters.
So what you're saying is that we can expect
? (that or Zack as an alt or echo)
You mean, if we even get another FFVII character.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
My predictions
1. Decidueye- Greninja situation
2. Rayman- He had a trophy in Smash4, and popular character
3. Simon Belmont- The leak mainly
4. King K Rool- Fan demand
Echo fighters of Chrom, Dark Samus, and Shadow
Or a representive of the new FE game coming out soon, or new Xenoblade character. Geno also has a good chance

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Here's a thought.

Judging by the logos...

Ike, Roy and Corrin would like to have a word with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom