• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If :ultshulk: manages to claw his way out of D Tier then I am sticking to my guns with him.
Oh man, I forgot about Shulk. I mained him from release all the way up the Roy DLC. I'm definitely giving him another go in this game.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Funnily enough, playstyle has never been a problem for me. I choose mains based on how much I enjoyed a character's source material, and then I adapt my playstyle to theirs, instead of the other way around.
That is very interesting to me. It seems many are committed to a character they like, not necessarily who they play best as, or as you said, will change how they play to make it work.

I'm totally opposite. I just want to play at my best, regardless of character. No allegiance for me lol.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
For me, the maining issue's easy; either I stay loyal and main:ultmewtwo: again, or if Geno gets in, I demote Mewtwo to secondary and ride it out with my boy in blue. There's really no alternative, although there are a lot of characters I'm planning on at least trying out - see my sig.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
That is very interesting to me. It seems many are committed to a character they like, not necessarily who they play best as, or as you said, will change how they play to make it work.

I'm totally opposite. I just want to play at my best, regardless of character. No allegiance for me lol.
That's an understatement to some people...

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Yeah, it can be daunting sometimes, but at the same time, it's so much fun to try and adapt to a whole new playstyle than what you're used to.

For example, I never played characters with slow, drawn-out attacks until Shulk, but once I started playing him, I slowly got more and more used to the way he played, and I got pretty damn good.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still mad Shulk stole his down smash from Reyn. At least its the closest he'll ever get to a non-trophy appearance

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Tomoya Ohtani being on the soundtrack is a nice surprise. Hopefully they get him to do a Sonic remix instead of getting Jun Senoue to ruin a Sonic song again.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So how will everybody pick their main? Do you stick with your old one? Learn your favorite character? Play everybody until one sticks? Have you already picked who your main will be?

For me, I will play everybody and see what sticks. I'm sure my current mains will still at the top of my list, but we'll see. I dont care who I play, as long as they fit my style.
I'm interested in going back and trying out multiple characters to see if anything has changed about them/me that makes it click this time around.

That being said, I only really play characters I personally like, so even if a character would fit me in theory, if I have no connection to the character I'm not going to fully enjoy myself and produce a lackluster performance.

Besides, no matter what happens, I'll always have my main to fall back on. :ultrobin

osby

Smash Obsessed
So how will everybody pick their main? Do you stick with your old one? Learn your favorite character? Play everybody until one sticks? Have you already picked who your main will be?

For me, I will play everybody and see what sticks. I'm sure my current mains will still at the top of my list, but we'll see. I dont care who I play, as long as they fit my style.
Play everyone and see who sticks. Also, don't care about tiers too much. I wouldn't main Zelda or Jigglypuff otherwise. Then again, I have, like, five mains and ten secondaries, so...

But I tend to like slow and light characters: Palutena, Ness, Peach etc.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd main Shulk if he didn't have that dumb buff/debuff thing and actually had is sword out all the time.
Like, you have the coolest form of a laser-sword out there and you keep taking it out and putting it back in your sheath every single time.

Speaking of, Monado Buster, the move that turns your already sick-ass sword into an even bigger giant purple laser beam that you then slam down on poor fools is now...

a damage buff.

That also hurts you more if you get hit while using it.
(Also, one time a guy fell out of my fully charged FSmash twice in a row and I'm still salty about it)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So a lot of people have been saying Xenoblade 2 content isn't likely based on the game's time frame but I'm curious what y'all think about ARMS? It released about half a year earlier than XC2 so it was likely a good deal further along in development when Smash started and since it was developed within Nintendo it's much more likely Sakurai had access to it. While it's true there was no way of knowing how the game would fair, I'm sure all Sakurai needed was to see the design of Spring Man or any ARMS character and he'd jump at the idea to create a fighter that utilizes long range fighting without projectiles.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of, Monado Buster, the move that turns your already sick-*** sword into an even bigger giant purple laser beam that you then slam down on poor fools is now...)
I'm a big disappointed they made Jump up for him when they could use Cyclone and use some excuse to say he's lighter than a hurricane or something. Then again, they replaced the entire purpose of Monado Armour with Shield, so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Definitley sticking with Yoshi, probably sticking with one of my other mains/secondaries. Then I'm going to mess around with the new characters to see if they stick (Currently interested in :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultinkling:). If someone like Marx, Kamek, or Decidueye gets in I'm going to main them no matter what.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Unless you're planning on making money winning tournaments, I don't see why anyone would play based on tier lists. The closest thing to that that I can understand is that a friend of mine tends to only play a couple characters once he's set on them, so I might go out of my way to learn a hard counter just to encourage him towards variety.
Other than that though, it's basically just a matter of who feels the best. I have a little bit of a bias, since (in PM) Zamus feels good but I don't find her that interesting, meanwhile Falcon has his slightly janky movement and I kind of had to learn a feel for it for the memes, but he ended up being my favorite character after I got used to zipping around and plummeting like a rock.
I respect the character loyalists (especially the surprisingly numerous Yoshi bois), but I don't have a personal investment in any character that's enough for that. Any character that I like that much would never ever make it in. The one exception is BWD, who might be cute enough that I could get over initially not liking how he plays.

Oh, and also if I like the game at all I'm probably going to play Pichu because there it's the highest natural level of BM short of playing Olimar and immediately throwing all of your Pikmin offstage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm a big disappointed they made Jump up for him when they could use Cyclone and use some excuse to say he's lighter than a hurricane or something. Then again, they replaced the entire purpose of Monado Armour with Shield, so. :rolleyes:
Monado Arts can be confusing in battle, so I guess they wanted to make their purposes clear.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Unless you're planning on making money winning tournaments, I don't see why anyone would play based on tier lists. The closest thing to that that I can understand is that a friend of mine tends to only play a couple characters once he's set on them, so I might go out of my way to learn a hard counter just to encourage him towards variety.
Other than that though, it's basically just a matter of who feels the best. I have a little bit of a bias, since (in PM) Zamus feels good but I don't find her that interesting, meanwhile Falcon has his slightly janky movement and I kind of had to learn a feel for it for the memes, but he ended up being my favorite character after I got used to zipping around and plummeting like a rock.
I respect the character loyalists (especially the surprisingly numerous Yoshi bois), but I don't have a personal investment in any character that's enough for that. Any character that I like that much would never ever make it in. The one exception is BWD, who might be cute enough that I could get over initially not liking how he plays.

Oh, and also if I like the game at all I'm probably going to play Pichu because there it's the highest natural level of BM short of playing Olimar and immediately throwing all of your Pikmin offstage.
The "surprisingly numerous Yoshi bois" will rise again!!!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm a big disappointed they made Jump to compensate, when they could use Cyclone and use some excuse to say he's lighter than a hurricane or something. Then again, they replaced the entire purpose of Monado Armour with Shield, so. :rolleyes:
Dude, before we saw footage, I went crazy trying to fit in how all the Monado Arts and other arts into his moveset
I was almost certain that Monado Shield with that hexagon barrier would be a unique shield and a buncha other stuff.

And then Shulk came out and boy, was I not having fun trying to figure all his stuff out.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
To pick a main each game, I usually test all the characters out 2-3 times against AI, then write down who I like. It usually ends up as a short list which I go back and look at again. That being said, I prefer learning like 10 characters or more.

Also, it's not the best way to do it because in Smash 4 I missed Ness and Pikachu who were two of my best characters and thought I was actually good at playing as Charizard and Rosalina.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Monado Arts can be confusing in battle, so I guess they wanted to make their purposes clear.
Monado Armour is literally what Shield in Smash's purpose is. Maybe they just chose it because Armour and Speed are both blue, and they thought people would confuse it a lot. Wouldn't blame them if that was the case.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think additional 3rd parties (outside of say, Simon Belmont or someone else from another company already in on it) will be DLC. I have this image of Rayman getting a trailer after release that hypes us and gives everyone else false hope for Rayman Origins 3
I keep having the same image/dream except instead Amaterasu gets a reveal trailer right after the release of her game Okami HD for the Switch which would give me false hope to a sequel of Okami 2.
As a Sheik main, this, this right here, makes me very, very, very happy :) :) :)

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I keep having the same image/dream except instead Amaterasu gets a reveal trailer right after the release of her game Okami HD for the Switch which would give me false hope to a sequel of Okami 2.
Is Okamiden not enough of a sequel for you?

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129

When it comes to mains, I always go with characters I enjoy beyond a superficial level. I'll learn to adapt to their play-style if I must.

I don't think I'm ever dropping Corrin at this point, though I'm definitely interested in trying out the new characters, especially Ridley.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Oooh I like this topic! I will ALWAYS main Ness if he’s a choice haha I love the Mother series that much! Same with Lucas ofcourse. I also love the Zelda series and Pokémon, so when it comes to those two, I try to figure out who has a play style I like the most. I fear there might be too many new faces that I want to play haha

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

As a Sheik main, this, this right here, makes me very, very, very happy :):):)
You mean Okamiden?

Please, Capcom. Give me Okami 2/3. I'm dying

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I've stuck with Marth in one way, shape, or form throughout all the years. Of course, my secondaries will vary wildly, but I'll stay by my boy.

So a lot of people have been saying Xenoblade 2 content isn't likely based on the game's time frame but I'm curious what y'all think about ARMS? It released about half a year earlier than XC2 so it was likely a good deal further along in development when Smash started and since it was developed within Nintendo it's much more likely Sakurai had access to it. While it's true there was no way of knowing how the game would fair, I'm sure all Sakurai needed was to see the design of Spring Man or any ARMS character and he'd jump at the idea to create a fighter that utilizes long range fighting without projectiles.
I'd say ARMS is a tossup really. I think that even if Sakurai had access to concept art he might stay back to see how the game does in terms of popularity, leaving Spring-Man out of the base roster.

ARMS is definitely getting representation in DLC though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Pretty similar.
Love Sonic, can't play him.
Know nothing about LoZ but magic princess = instant main.
At least I was a Jigglypuff fan before Smash.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hands up though, let's be honest, how many of us actually even learned of Super Mario RPG due to that old Newgrounds vid Rawest Forest?

I played the hell out of Paper Mario back in the day, but I had never heard of Super Mario RPG before the internet started kicking into gear in the early 2000's.
Hand down from me, I learned of it (and Geno as a result) from the Smash Kingdom shorts on Newgrounds a couple of years after Brawl's release.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
At this point I plan to main :ultridley: and :ultjigglypuff:
Both ends of the spectrum :laugh:

Honestly though, I like to play a little bit as everyone, so I’m looking forward to digging into such a deep and varied roster!

If the original 8 unlock thing is true...
:ultpikachu::ultyoshi: seem likely as starters. Part of me hopes the unlock process will make you play as everyone though :)

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Anyone have any ideas for any new Assist Trophies? I don’t ever really see a lot of people talk about them. I think they’re pretty neat.

Let’s play a game. Give 5 or 6 new Assist Trophy ideas, and give an explanation of how they’d function. You can throw in a 3rd Party one if you like.

I’ll go first!

1. Toadies (Yoshi’s Island)
1529467573492.jpeg
The Toadies would fly around, and if someone happens to get grabbed by them, they are carried away up to a upper screen KO.

2. Swooping Snitchbug (Pikmin)
1529467749879.jpeg
The Swooping Snitchbug will fly around in the upper part of the stage, and occasionally swoop down (3 times in total.) If it grabs an opponent it will fly around for a very brief period of time (2 seconds), and then throw them straight down! (Meteor Smash effect.) If they character hits the stage, they will be grounded, if off stage, it’s a KO!

3. Adeleine (Kirby)
1529468139731.png
Similar to the new Artist ability in Kirby: Star Allies, Adeleine will paint enemies on her easel, and they will come to life and attack. The enemies can be KO’d, but Adeleine can not. No kill potential, but can rack up damage.

4. Master Kohga (The Legend of Zelda)
1529468569372.png

Master Kohga will summon 3 spiked iron balls that, and toss them at opponents. If he manages to hit someone, the damage is moderate, but the knockback is huge! He can be KO’d.

5. Xander & Ryoma (Fire Emblem)
1529468926179.jpeg

Old habits die hard, and these two are back at it again. Xander and Ryoma will appear on opposite sides of the stage. They will charge each other, and if you get caught in the crosshairs of their battle...it won’t end well for you. They will jump onto platforms and strike each other in midair as well, so don’t just think jumping away will always save you.

6. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) 3rd Party.
1529469499314.png

Sephiroth will appear and then move to the center of the stage. He will say “I bring you despair...Ruination to all!” While shrouded in a dark aura. He will then perform Super Nova. The attack is devastating. A huge flaming meteor will strike the stage, and cause a gigantic explosion (similar to a Smart Bomb, but large and more damage output.)

A bonus one: Poochy. (Yoshi)
1529470172270.png
He just wants to play fetch, and be your bestest bud! Poochy will stick around for a long time, and go fetch items for you. What’s that you say? You don’t play with items? Well, Poochy will just have to dig one up for you! Who’s a good boy!?!

Let me know what you guys think, and please do this as well if you’d like! :D

osby

Smash Obsessed
My mains always fluctuate between games, but Ganondorf has always been one of my mains ever since I first started playing Smash Bros.

Probably why I never really had a problem with clones as much as other people have had.
Not Ganondorf but Smash is filled with clones/echoes I like more than their original counterparts; Dr. Mario, Lucina, Toon Link, Wolf...
That's just me though

Pakky

Smash Hero

So I think this is why Mimikyu is important, never before has there been anything that actively has a problem with Pikachu (the face of Pokemon) any Pikachu.

DID NOT know the anime one used Wood Hammer Jesus

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
If anyone is having trouble deciding who of the OG 12 to go with to start, can you please try Yoshi out? If you decide he isn't for you, I'll understand
Can’t say Yoshi is my type of fighter, but my younger brother absolutely loves the dude and he’d no doubt play Yoshi a lot

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I’ll always main Ness. Falcon, Puff, and Luigi I also tend to play a lot every game. 64s secret characters are my favorite characters to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom