• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Say Birdo has to get in the game.

But the time spent on her could be short and used for other characters.

Do you want:

• Echo Birdo based on Yoshi
• Semi-clone Birdo
• Full character Birdo
Full character. I don't consider her and Yoshi remotely similar when it comes to movesets. Half of Yoshi's schtick is eating based

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
K Rool and Goku would cause internet explosions for sure.

Otherwise, maaaaybe Waluigi cause recent memes.

And Geno has that potential as you mentioned.

I can't think of anyone else. Roster is perfect. I think it's up to Sakurai to put someone in the game now that I never thought I'd end up liking and that no one would have expected (WFT, Game and Watch...)
I would actually argue that Sora would cause internet explosions, for sure. He's been in many Smash fan games and many people really want him. I mean, many casual friends of mine want Sora and some of them don't even play Smash. The fact that many people think they are impossible would only make his inclusion that more impactful.
It also helps that many people are extraordinarily excited for KH3, so there's that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Do you want:

• Semi-clone Birdo
• Full character Birdo
Semi-Clone. Birdo doesn't work as a 1-to-1 Yoshi, and I'd be incredibly disappointed if the second unique Yoshi character wasn't Kamek.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Kind of a shame Dark Pit stayed a full clone (now echo). Was hoping for them to semi-clone him and give him more with his staff

StormC

Smash Hero
Sora and Crash Bandicoot are probably the last third party mascots that are universally near and dear to millions of people's hearts on the level of who we have in the game already. Maybe Rayman too.

I think the fact that a third party character was not revealed at E3 tells me that there probably isn't one on that level in the base game - even if Simon Belmont makes it in, it wouldn't be quite the same.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sora and Crash Bandicoot are probably the last third party mascots that are universally near and dear to millions of people's hearts on the level of who we have in the game already. Maybe Rayman too.

I think the fact that a third party character was not revealed at E3 tells me that there probably isn't one on that level in the base game - even if Simon Belmont makes it in, it wouldn't be quite the same.
basically what I'm thinking too, im guessing at simon cause of the leak and konamis involvement (save it for an october halloween reveal?) and then Geno who is only "sort of" third party.

both of which i dont think need an E3 reveal the way someone like Sora or Crash almost certainly would have gotten.

Pakky

Smash Hero

I'd say for third parties who have wide renown and have a spot in video game history would go like this in no order in particular.

Crash

Simon

Spyro

Sora

Banjo and Kazooie

Lara Croft

Rayman

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Reminder to keep in mind when Sakurai started his plan for the game. Definitely somewhere in 2016. Any sort of representation after that year seems unlikely. Mario and Zelda getting stuff from later seems more like an exception to me, as he definitely had inside info, and even then Cappy is an aesthetic thing and Link doesn't have ALL his BOTW abilities. It's why the idea of any XC2 content in the main game seems unlikely even though we know Sakurai loves the game.

Also is probably why Splatoon 1 seems to be a focus and if we get anything from Splatoon 2 it might just be music.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Do you want:

• Semi-clone Birdo
• Full character Birdo
Semi-clone, you can change her grab and neutral special, but the rest of the moveset all works, and it'd be weird if she didn't have an egg spitting projectile attack. And get rid of the flutterjump too and give her a normal recovery

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Yarn Yoshi isn't an alternate color.

And yeah, people hoping for anything post 2016 are wishful thinkers. Maybe for DLC, but I think Sakurai wants to make something else.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Reminder to keep in mind when Sakurai started his plan for the game. Definitely somewhere in 2016. Any sort of representation after that year seems unlikely. Mario and Zelda getting stuff from later seems more like an exception to me, as he definitely had inside info, and even then Cappy is an aesthetic thing and Link doesn't have ALL his BOTW abilities. It's why the idea of any XC2 content in the main game seems unlikely even though we know Sakurai loves the game.

Also is probably why Splatoon 1 seems to be a focus and if we get anything from Splatoon 2 it might just be music.
Also, unlike Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon games, Xeno games aren't a surefire success historically. It's not a guarantee best seller or attention grabber like the aforementioned titles, so even though XC2 was likely being developed with that knowledge available to Sakurai, there's no predictability to whether a character would be well received from that game or not. He likely would have gone with a character of known renown instead. Moving forward, I would say XC has shown itself to be a safe horse to bet on, and Rex & Pyra will absolutely get represented eventually. But for the base game I think it would have been too early and/or too risky. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but both Xenogears and Xenosaga's franchises were cut short, so who can say until the roster is revealed.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
What did you have in mind, 'cause I'm drawing a blank on that. The flutterjump is Yoshi's second most iconic move. What does Birdo have?
Maybe the swing from paper mario sticker star?

or the moon from colour splash?

(Apparently they can flutter jump?)

Or maybe there's something to pull from mario rpg? (never played it) or just have her shoot an egg downwards to propel herself up or something

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If anyone will become an Echo of Yoshi, it'll be Yarn Yoshi or Boshi, not Birdo.
Speaking of yarn, hear me out here.

Prince Fluff as a newcomer. Or maybe even just an Assist Trophy.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Maybe the swing from paper mario sticker star?

or the moon from colour splash?

(Apparently they can flutter jump?)

Or maybe there's something to pull from mario rpg? (never played it) or just have her shoot an egg downwards to propel herself up or something
An... interesting suggestion. Crazy enough it might just work.

Also she was in SMRPG but didn't have aerial based attacks as far as I know...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Also, unlike Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon games, Xeno games aren't a surefire success historically. It's not a guarantee best seller or command grabber like the aforementioned titles, so even though XC2 was likely being developed with that knowledge available to Sakurai, there's no predictability to whether a character would be well received from that game or not. He likely would have gone with a character of known renown instead. Moving forward, I would say XC has shown itself to be a safe horse to bet on, and Rex & Pyra will absolutely get represented eventually. But for the base game I think it would have been too early and/or too risky. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but both Xenogears and Xenosaga's franchises were cut short, so who can say until the roster is revealed.
Yep. I think we'll for sure get XC2 content as DLC. Unless Sakurai played the game and loved it so much he decided to make a last minute add on for Rex and Pyra, but I doubt it. Also is why I don't think Crash is likely. The remakes got revealed really late 2016 if I'm remembering right. Same with people all of a sudden talking about Spyro after his game remakes got announced, though if either of them were more likely it'd be Crash based on timing.

I think we'll definitely get one third party, but I don't think it's either of those two.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Super Mario RPG actually does get representation, is there any stage from the game you'd like to make an appearance. The Axem Ranger's ship seems pretty viable.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If Super Mario RPG actually does get representation, is there any stage from the game you'd like to make an appearance. The Axem Ranger's ship seems pretty viable.
I'm weird and would go for Bowser's Castle with Exor in the background but anything with the Forest Maze music is good for me.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Going to the Waluigi fan thing.. I've been hearing things about Waluigi fans harassing Sakurai (His twitter) about the character not being in the game. Is this true?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
You know, if Simon Belmont gets in, that means we can have 8-player Smash without any Nintendo characters.
Smash has come a long way since 1999. It went from being a fun experiment for Sakurai and Iwata to a crossover that not only celebrates video games as a whole, but rivals that of Avengers Infinity War as one of the most ambitious crossovers of any medium.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
axem rangers ship would be dope.

boosters tower (its position would let you sort of see the rest of the map behind it since its front and center), nimbus land, or on top of Exor would be good too.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Guys, can we just take a step back and acknowledge that a composer from the :ultsonic: SONIC SERIES :ultsonic: just straight up remixed Bomb Bomb Blush?!

GOD I LOVE SMASH SO DAMN MUCH.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Forest Maze with Bowyer shooting arrows in the background turning players to stone...
Or locking them from using certain buttons.

Might be annoying getting it right given the different controllers and customisable controls but would be a really awesome throwback to his boss fight.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It would be unfortunate if Sora got into Smash Ultimate because I won't get the chance to use him.

Reason: I'll be dead.
Cause of Death: Got too happy and lost my ****.

Also getting a KH stage + music would just be too much for me to handle.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm surprised they didn't take Ryu's two final smashes as a concept and added it to everyone else. A short-range direct final smash and a long-range one for a bigger, damage dealing one.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I really hope that Tomoya getting aboard the remix trains means that :ultsonic: will finally get some more remixes.

Seriously Jun, I love your Angel Island remix, but :ultmegaman: outnumbered Sonic's remix counted tenfold in ONE GAME. I guess Sonic's lacking Japanese popularity might be a factor, but seriously, I wanna see some new composers give their take on some Sonic tunes.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm surprised they didn't take Ryu's two final smashes as a concept and added it to everyone else. A short-range direct final smash and a long-range one for a bigger, damage dealing one.
Because that's another 60+ Final smashes you have to make. Way too much work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom