• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So how will everybody pick their main? Do you stick with your old one? Learn your favorite character? Play everybody until one sticks? Have you already picked who your main will be?

For me, I will play everybody and see what sticks. I'm sure my current mains will still at the top of my list, but we'll see. I dont care who I play, as long as they fit my style.
I'll do the same thing I do with every game. I'll start out trying to play one of my favorite characters (:ultpalutena:,:ultshulk:,:ultinkling:,:ultpichu:) And then none of them will be above mid-tier, so I'll feel bad limiting myself with a mid-tier or lower in tournaments, so I'll switch to a high tier, but I'll not be able to stick with any of them because I won't find them as fun. Then I'll trap myself in a vicious cycle of never being able to choose a main.

In case you can't tell, I've been through this several times already :p

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yoshi is just so awkward to play. His jump, his specials, his grab, all of it is so awkward.
I only main Yoshi in Smash 4 but I found him one of the easiest characters to pick up.

I've seen people say he's too hard to play but I never understood how. Maybe I'm just lucky with how he clicked for me but I found I could just throw out a lot his options and they'd just work together. Made developing a play style easier as I jut had to work on getting more reliable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think we're starting with the original 8
Samus, then. I like how ZSS plays and it's just her but cooler. Also, she has the best tilts.

EDIT: About Yoshi: I cannot say I like his playstyle (though he's a sweetheart) but he's one of the few characters I'm afraid of playing against. He destroys me everytime.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I will literally only use :ultfalcon: until I unlock everyone, do not test me.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Anyone have any ideas for any new Assist Trophies? I don’t ever really see a lot of people talk about them. I think they’re pretty neat.

Let’s play a game. Give 5 or 6 new Assist Trophy ideas, and give an explanation of how they’d function. You can throw in a 3rd Party one if you like.

I’ll go first!

1. Toadies (Yoshi’s Island)
View attachment 149185
The Toadies would fly around, and if someone happens to get grabbed by them, they are carried away up to a upper screen KO.

2. Swooping Snitchbug (Pikmin)
View attachment 149186
The Swooping Snitchbug will fly around in the upper part of the stage, and occasionally swoop down (3 times in total.) If it grabs an opponent it will fly around for a very brief period of time (2 seconds), and then throw them straight down! (Meteor Smash effect.) If they character hits the stage, they will be grounded, if off stage, it’s a KO!

3. Adeleine (Kirby)
View attachment 149187
Similar to the new Artist ability in Kirby: Star Allies, Adeleine will paint enemies on her easel, and they will come to life and attack. The enemies can be KO’d, but Adeleine can not. No kill potential, but can rack up damage.

4. Master Kohga (The Legend of Zelda)
View attachment 149191
Master Kohga will summon 3 spiked iron balls that, and toss them at opponents. If he manages to hit someone, the damage is moderate, but the knockback is huge! He can be KO’d.

5. Xander & Ryoma (Fire Emblem)
View attachment 149193
Old habits die hard, and these two are back at it again. Xander and Ryoma will appear on opposite sides of the stage. They will charge each other, and if you get caught in the crosshairs of their battle...it won’t end well for you. They will jump onto platforms and strike each other in midair as well, so don’t just think jumping away will always save you.

6. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) 3rd Party.
View attachment 149195
Sephiroth will appear and then move to the center of the stage. He will say “I bring you despair...Ruination to all!” While shrouded in a dark aura. He will then perform Super Nova. The attack is devastating. A huge flaming meteor will strike the stage, and cause a gigantic explosion (similar to a Smart Bomb, but large and more damage output.)

A bonus one: Poochy. (Yoshi)
View attachment 149200
He just wants to play fetch, and be your bestest bud! Poochy will stick around for a long time, and go fetch items for you. What’s that you say? You don’t play with items? Well, Poochy will just have to dig one up for you! Who’s a good boy!?!

Let me know what you guys think, and please do this as well if you’d like! :D
Oooh, I like Ryoma & Xander's especially, and I've always had the idea for a Swooping Snitchbug AT. Here goes... a lot harder than I expected!

1) Zeke & Pandoria (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

Upon being summoned alongside his close Blade Pandoria, Zeke doubles over with his hand concealing his covered eye as he trembles. Zeke dashes around the stage at astonishingly high speeds, slashing foes with his massive sword. At the end, Zeke shouts 'BRINGER OF CHAOS, ULTIMATE LIGHTNING FURY SLASH!" while both he and Pandoria strike a dramatic pose. He lifts his sword as lightning strikes it, swinging it down in one slow but powerful strike.

2) Iridescent Flint Beetle (Pikmin)

Once summoned, the Iridescent Flint Beetle will flee from all fighters and with good reason. Full of sweet, sweet nectar, once struck the flint beetle will leave behind big drops of nectar on the stage, leaving up to four of these before burying itself in the ground. The nectar can be quickly slurped up by fighters to give a brief boost to their stats, so let the hunt begin!

3) Jin (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

When summoned, Jin will be surrounded with a slight icy aura as he holds his long blade to the side. He performs a slow circle to the camera with his blade, and any foes too close to him will be greatly slowed down for the duration of the circle. Jin then performs a fast diagonal slash, damaging foes and sending them reeling.

4) Nurse Joy & Chansey (Pokemon)

Maybe cheating, but functionally very similar to the Chansey Pokeball summon from previous games. However, Chansey's eggs are all damaging while Nurse Joy simultaneously throws out Potions that can be used to heal.

5) Waluigi (Mario)

He... oh wait.

EDIT: No matter what image I try I can't get Waluigi's to work. The poor man is permanently broken.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
So a lot of people have been saying Xenoblade 2 content isn't likely based on the game's time frame but I'm curious what y'all think about ARMS? It released about half a year earlier than XC2 so it was likely a good deal further along in development when Smash started and since it was developed within Nintendo it's much more likely Sakurai had access to it. While it's true there was no way of knowing how the game would fair, I'm sure all Sakurai needed was to see the design of Spring Man or any ARMS character and he'd jump at the idea to create a fighter that utilizes long range fighting without projectiles.
I think Spring Man or Ribbon Girl are fairly likely, it's a new ip Nintendo wants to promote and I think Sakurai would surely see the potential. Also, nobody has mentioned the fact that we already have a new item from ARMS (the healing field), which shows they're already making the effort to include that series in some way.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Oh, if we're talking the OG 8 then I will definitely play as Link. :ultlink:

Mainly because I've hated how he looks the last 3 Smash Games and he now looks like a character I want to play as.

If he still feels horrible to play as though, I love :ultfox::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultyoshi:.

I have no difficulty with the Original 12 as I still play as so many of them, even with the newcomers to choose from.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Every game I've had two mains added.

In 64 I mained Samus and Luigi.

In Melee I added Zelda and Ice Climbers to the mix.

In Brawl I added King Dedede and Snake.

Smash 4 I added Rosalina and Luma and Bayonetta added to the mix.

I have yet to decide truly who Smash Ultimate will see added to the mix, because I already like the looks of both Inkling and Ridley.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So how will everybody pick their main? Do you stick with your old one? Learn your favorite character? Play everybody until one sticks? Have you already picked who your main will be?

For me, I will play everybody and see what sticks. I'm sure my current mains will still at the top of my list, but we'll see. I dont care who I play, as long as they fit my style.
My secondaries/co-mains depend on who ultimately gets added to the game (and if Smash 4 is any indicator, I might not use any other characters), but no matter what happens, buff or nerf, I will main :ultjigglypuff:, and I'm thinking I will pick up :ultpichu: as a secondary as well, he's my most wanted (formerly) cut veteran after all, but using him competitively is not 100% set in stone for me, while maining :ultjigglypuff: is.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I will literally only use :ultfalcon: until I unlock everyone, do not test me.
Quoted. If I find out you played anyone else before you unlocked all 66+ characters, there'll be hell to pay.

Anyway, out of the original 8, I'll probably play :ultlink:, since his new moves really appeal to me.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Oooh, I like Ryoma & Xander's especially, and I've always had the idea for a Swooping Snitchbug AT. Here goes... a lot harder than I expected!

1) Zeke & Pandoria (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

Upon being summoned alongside his close Blade Pandoria, Zeke doubles over with his hand concealing his covered eye as he trembles. Zeke dashes around the stage at astonishingly high speeds, slashing foes with his massive sword. At the end, Zeke shouts 'BRINGER OF CHAOS, ULTIMATE LIGHTNING FURY SLASH!" while both he and Pandoria strike a dramatic pose. He lifts his sword as lightning strikes it, swinging it down in one slow but powerful strike.

2) Iridescent Flint Beetle (Pikmin)

Once summoned, the Iridescent Flint Beetle will flee from all fighters and with good reason. Full of sweet, sweet nectar, once struck the flint beetle will leave behind big drops of nectar on the stage, leaving up to four of these before burying itself in the ground. The nectar can be quickly slurped up by fighters to give a brief boost to their stats, so let the hunt begin!

3) Jin (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

When summoned, Jin will be surrounded with a slight icy aura as he holds his long blade to the side. He performs a slow circle to the camera with his blade, and any foes too close to him will be greatly slowed down for the duration of the circle. Jin then performs a fast diagonal slash, damaging foes and sending them reeling.

4) Nurse Joy & Chansey (Pokemon)

Maybe cheating, but functionally very similar to the Chansey Pokeball summon from previous games. However, Chansey's eggs are all damaging while Nurse Joy simultaneously throws out Potions that can be used to heal.

5) Waluigi (Mario)

He... oh wait.
These are some great ideas! I really like Jin! That was cold for the Waluigi fans out there though! Thanks for contributing. I’m glad you like the Xander & Ryoma one too!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Every game I've had two mains added.

In 64 I mained Samus and Luigi.

In Melee I added Zelda and Ice Climbers to the mix.

In Brawl I added King Dedede and Snake.

Smash 4 I added Rosalina and Luma and Bayonetta added to the mix.

I have yet to decide truly who Smash Ultimate will see added to the mix, because I already like the looks of both Inkling and Ridley.
Jigglypuff and Ness
Zelda and Peach
Olimar and Zero Suit Samus
Palutena and Robin

I'm not selective about mains, but no newcomers has appealed me yet in Ultimate. I like Inklings but their playstyle doesn't seem to be my style. I like how Daisy plays but I prefer Peach.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I like Strategy RPGs
I like blue fire
I like non-royal protagonists with no sense of decorum
I like non-fancy armor and flowing headbands
I like hitting guys so hard they fly out of the stratosphere
I like having a huge amount of range on all my giant sword moves
I like sword beams
I like buff dudes No homo
Basically: I like Ike.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'll stick to my mains :ultsheik::ultlucina::ultcorrin: but I'm eager to try out :ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer: considering the buff they got.
Is Okamiden not enough of a sequel for you?
No we must sequel the sequels :laugh:
I mean getting a third game would be amazing, but I would settle for Okamiden to be ported to the Switch.
You mean Okamiden?

Please, Capcom. Give me Okami 2/3. I'm dying
Whoops, I meant a sequel for Okamiden or at least for Okamiden to be ported to the Switch :)
Anyone have any ideas for any new Assist Trophies? I don’t ever really see a lot of people talk about them. I think they’re pretty neat.

Let’s play a game. Give 5 or 6 new Assist Trophy ideas, and give an explanation of how they’d function. You can throw in a 3rd Party one if you like.

I’ll go first!

1. Toadies (Yoshi’s Island)
View attachment 149185
The Toadies would fly around, and if someone happens to get grabbed by them, they are carried away up to a upper screen KO.

2. Swooping Snitchbug (Pikmin)
View attachment 149186
The Swooping Snitchbug will fly around in the upper part of the stage, and occasionally swoop down (3 times in total.) If it grabs an opponent it will fly around for a very brief period of time (2 seconds), and then throw them straight down! (Meteor Smash effect.) If they character hits the stage, they will be grounded, if off stage, it’s a KO!

3. Adeleine (Kirby)
View attachment 149187
Similar to the new Artist ability in Kirby: Star Allies, Adeleine will paint enemies on her easel, and they will come to life and attack. The enemies can be KO’d, but Adeleine can not. No kill potential, but can rack up damage.

4. Master Kohga (The Legend of Zelda)
View attachment 149191
Master Kohga will summon 3 spiked iron balls that, and toss them at opponents. If he manages to hit someone, the damage is moderate, but the knockback is huge! He can be KO’d.

5. Xander & Ryoma (Fire Emblem)
View attachment 149193
Old habits die hard, and these two are back at it again. Xander and Ryoma will appear on opposite sides of the stage. They will charge each other, and if you get caught in the crosshairs of their battle...it won’t end well for you. They will jump onto platforms and strike each other in midair as well, so don’t just think jumping away will always save you.

6. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy) 3rd Party.
View attachment 149195
Sephiroth will appear and then move to the center of the stage. He will say “I bring you despair...Ruination to all!” While shrouded in a dark aura. He will then perform Super Nova. The attack is devastating. A huge flaming meteor will strike the stage, and cause a gigantic explosion (similar to a Smart Bomb, but large and more damage output.)

A bonus one: Poochy. (Yoshi)
View attachment 149200
He just wants to play fetch, and be your bestest bud! Poochy will stick around for a long time, and go fetch items for you. What’s that you say? You don’t play with items? Well, Poochy will just have to dig one up for you! Who’s a good boy!?!

Let me know what you guys think, and please do this as well if you’d like! :D
As much as I love the idea of Sephiroth being a Assist Trophy, I can imagine Sephiroth's irritation at becoming one:

"You would have ME exist as nothing more than... what now, an Assist Trophy? A trinket for entertainment, and nostalgia? A mere bauble of effortless short lived combat to be use, exploited, and then ultimately shelved away until the masters of chance and fate say otherwise? I think not... You, you WILL except this gift of ruination; your grave, and its marker of everlasting flames, so none will forget your foolishness and the respect I ultimately deserve. Playable character or obliteration!"

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'll stick to my mains :ultsheik::ultlucina::ultcorrin: but I'm eager to try out :ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer: considering the buff they got.
No we must sequel the sequels :laugh:
I mean getting a third game would be amazing, but I would settle for Okamiden to be ported to the Switch.

Whoops, I meant a sequel for Okamiden or at least for Okamiden to be ported to the Switch :)

As much as I love the idea of Sephiroth being a Assist Trophy, I can imagine Sephiroth's irritation at becoming one:

"You would have ME exist as nothing more than... what now, an Assist Trophy? A trinket for entertainment, and nostalgia? A mere bauble of effortless short lived combat to be use, exploited, and then ultimately shelved away until the masters of chance and fate say otherwise? I think not... You, you WILL except this gift of ruination; your grave, and its marker of everlasting flames, so none will forget your foolishness and the respect I ultimately deserve. Playable character or obliteration!"
I love this. Haha, I would love Sephiorth to be playable, but, as of yet, no 3rd Party franchise has gotten a 2nd Rep.

Sephiorth would be amazing though! That range? Honey. The magic? Yasss. Not to mention, Sephiorth is kind of a babe. He’s the ultimate bad boy.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Are the Smash Ultimate stock icons buggy for anyone else? Because they're not showing up for me.

For me it's a bit weird, but also straight-forward.

First of all, I main Luigi in all Smash games. I will main him.

As for other characters, I'll most likely continue to "main" all the other characters I play.

In Smash 4, my highest rated characters in the "most used fighter" screen were Luigi, R.O.B, Shulk, Lucas, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Robin, and Roy. I used those characters far more than any others.

However, that may change depending on how the characters have changed.

I might even add more characters to play to my ever growing list that weren't there before as a result of changes.
For example, I never played as Wario or R.O.B. in Brawl, but now I play them frequently.

As for how I choose my mains/characters, it's really just whoever sticks. Even if I like a character, I won't main/play them if their moveset isn't appealing to me. No matter how much I love the character. That said, characters that I'm more familiar with will attract me more than characters I don't have any attachment to.

It's kinda a mix between favoritism and skill. I'm not sure which comes first really. It kinda just happens.

Your loss then.

I don't even remember how I got to main Olimar, it just happened one day I swear.
Accurate.

Can confirm. I play Olimar, but I'm not sure how, when, or why.

It just happened one day.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Are the Smash Ultimate stock icons buggy for anyone else? Because they're not showing up for me.

For me it's a bit weird, but also straight-forward.

First of all, I main Luigi in all Smash games. I will main him.

As for other characters, I'll most likely continue to "main" all the other characters I play.

In Smash 4, my highest rated characters in the "most used fighter" screen were Luigi, R.O.B, Shulk, Lucas, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Robin, and Roy. I used those characters far more than any others.

However, that may change depending on how the characters have changed.

I might even add more characters to play to my ever growing list that weren't there before as a result of changes.
For example, I never played as Wario or R.O.B. in Brawl, but now I play them frequently.

As for how I choose my mains/characters, it's really just whoever sticks. Even if I like a character, I won't main/play them if their moveset isn't appealing to me. No matter how much I love the character. That said, characters that I'm more familiar with will attract me more than characters I don't have any attachment to.

It's kinda a mix between favoritism and skill. I'm not sure which comes first really. It kinda just happens.

Accurate.

Can confirm. I play Olimar, but I'm not sure how, when, or why.

It just happened one day.
Clear browser cache in advanced settings. Someone here told me about about it and it worked for me.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Okay but like... I don't think the original 12 will be our starting roster. Sakurai just said that it'll be "as small as" the original Smash roster. I feel like not putting in at least one new character from the get-go is a little weird.

But if the OG 12 is the starting roster, I guess Ness would be my boi.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Clear browser cache in advanced settings. Someone here told me about about it and it worked for me.
I might need to sleep more because I swore you sai ''Clear bowser cache in settings."

And I'm just like figuring out how you would even reset Bowser.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I cannot help but feel a little disappointed with Sheik's new Final Smash. Like.... where did it come from? Why are there so many Final Smashes where characters just move left and right quickly as they punch or slash opponents? They couldn't be bothered to use something from Hyrule Warriors? Like that move with the harp?

If Scorpion gets in Smash and does that, I would be disappointed that his Final Smash is Brutality and not the Toasty! Fatality.
Cause they wanted Final Smashes to be quick and get to the point this time

its for the best and no longer do we have those clunky transformation ones like landmaster or warioman

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I mean, it certainly doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think it’s the sole qualifier.
It's what you would call a sufficient condition but not a necessary one. An example of a necessary condition for being a bad boy is wearing multiple belts.
I might need to sleep more because I swore you sai ''Clear bowser cache in settings."

At close range I find a normal jab works pretty well. My main frame of reference though is PM where Mewtwo's dtilt has a weird hitbox that lets you pull them in to do a small down throw loop, ideally into spike. I think it's harder at low percent in Smash 4 because he has flinch resistance.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay but like... I don't think the original 12 will be our starting roster. Sakurai just said that it'll be "as small as" the original Smash roster. I feel like not putting in at least one new character from the get-go is a little weird.

The statement was made showing the default 64 roster, with Luigi, Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff coming up after. So it looks like the original 8, rather than original 12 will be the default roster.

On a side note, anyone else find it humorous Sakurai went from considering removing unlockable characters for the Wii U game to now making nearly everyone unlockable?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I agree, he definitely said as small as rather than it being just as is. I believe it'd be the ones shown on the box art of the game, since when you add those (+ the echoes for Peach, Marth, and Pit since they're on there), you get a nice even 20 for your starting roster, still at least under a third of the roster size.

Though I guess people think it's pottery because you're starting with the "original 12 in respect of the 20th anniversary", I'd let them have their fun. ;)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Using chrome, go to the top right, open the menu, and click settings. From there, advanced settings. You should see "clear browser cache" as one of the buttons.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Using chrome, go to the top right, open the menu, and click settings. From there, advanced settings. You should see "clear browser cache" as one of the buttons.
Oh sweetie.

Sweetie sweetie sweetie.

Read my post again.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
When it comes to mains, I'd say it depends based on how fun they are and how much I enjoy them as a character. But I think on launch day, I might settle on :ultfalcon: and :ultsamus: to try and unlock the roster as the game progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom