• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I love this. Haha, I would love Sephiorth to be playable, but, as of yet, no 3rd Party franchise has gotten a 2nd Rep.

Sephiorth would be amazing though! That range? Honey. The magic? Yasss. Not to mention, Sephiorth is kind of a babe. He’s the ultimate bad boy.
Yeah Sephiroth being would be amazing and yet at the same time the amount of salt he would bring to Smash with his range and moveset would make Bayonetta look like a sodium free potato chip.

Amaterasu wants to say hello Sakurai, 3rd rep for Capcom when please.

I like light and speedy characters, anything else and I'll say "you're too slow" *running in place like Sonic* (rip one of the greatest taunts ever). But of the original 8 I'd probably pick Link since he was the first Smash character I ever chose when my cousin introduced me to Smash Bros on the 64. I would also choose Fox, the second Smash character I ever choose and the one I stuck with the longest... until Sheik was playable in Melee

I'm sorry Fox forgive me.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Only a few more hours before we can likely close the door on Simon in Smash. R.I.P Simon.
I think you can already stick a fork in it.

Vergeben has already said the game was the Hyper Sports game.

I really think he's just been piggybacking this entire time and was afraid he'd be written off so he course corrected, because he's still saying the games will be revealed, but I find it doubtful.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So how will everybody pick their main? Do you stick with your old one? Learn your favorite character? Play everybody until one sticks? Have you already picked who your main will be?
I usually main the random button (so everyone). Though of course there's always a few who I'll pick more frequently.

In Smash Ultimate, I'm really eager to try and be good with Palutena with the changes she got. She's such an amazing character, but she just didn't click with me in Smash 4 at all.

I'm also interested in trying out the Mii's, they actually seem to have updated quite a bit:

And if they're available online, only better. Can't wait to kick butt with a Mii.

Shroob

Sup?
C'mooooooon internet, I'm dying out here for fake leaks.

You've seen the CSS, and you got the renders for the characters, hell, you have a good idea how the final css will be organized.

Where's the off-screen screenshots and potato quality pics?! I'm bored.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Yeah Sephiroth being would be amazing and yet at the same time the amount of salt he would bring to Smash with his range and moveset would make Bayonetta look like a sodium free potato chip.

Megaman and Ryu from Capcom says hello for the whole 2nd rep deal

Amaterasu also wants to say hello Sakurai, 3rd rep when please.
Same franchise. Not the same company. Silly.
Megaman and Ryu come from the same company, being Capcom, but represent different franchises, being Megaman and Street Fighter, respectively.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
With the original 8/12, :ultmario::ultyoshi:/:ultjigglypuff: are my to go characters. That being said, I'm pretty sure that Sakurai will make unlocking the Miis ridiculously easy yet again, so I'll have them ready. :ultmiifighters:

Shroob

Sup?
Vergeben claimed that alongside Simon being in Smash, Castlevania would see a new game in the series revealed at E3. Supposedly the embargo of Konami's game they showed off will be lifted tomorrow and we will know if Castlevania is rally happening.
I mean, he already said it was the Konami Sports Game.

I doubted Verg, though I still hope Simon gets in regardless. Castlevania is one of the few hyper-important NES 3rd party games left that don't have a representative in Smash.

That, and Castlevania's music is metal af.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I picked Kirby during 64 cause me and each of my close friends had a "main" generally based around which games we had a personal attachment to:

one of my friends picked fox cause he loved star fox, one of my friends was a very casual gamer and only had a gameboy and pokemon so he played pikachu, one of my friends loved earthbound and none of us had ever even played it so he grabbed ness (lucky guy getting a somewhat obscure personal favorite in right from the start!), I had played kirby games when none of my other friends had (gameboy and super star on snes) they werent my favorite games but i had played them so i played kirby even though i was probly the zelda guy of our group but a lot of random people would play link back then as ocarina of time was THE game, and i wanted my main to be more personal.

When melee came out i stuck with kirby and he was terrible but no one was added that really peaked my interest besides sheik but i had another friend who was and still is super into sheik, has a sheikah tattoo these days, so i felt id stay with kirby and let him have his personal choice.

brawl speculation had me actively wanting characters for the first time and my most wanted have always been geno, little mac, and banjo kazooie. i held out little hope for banjo kazooie but the geno hype train hit me hard as mario rpg was a game i loved, had the strategy guide for it next to my bed growing up cause i loved just looking at the characters etc... and then punch-out was always my personal favorite nes game, i can still beat some of the boxers without looking and i always held it right up there with mario, zelda, megaman even though at the time punch-out!! had fallen a bit into obscurity...with pit in i thought little mac was a shoe-in. if either of those characters got in id finally have a main i could be really attached to. neither happened, though and i learned to enjoy toon link and sonic but generally stuck with kirby as he was my smash main from the start.

Finally in smash4 little mac happened and i got one of my most wanted characters! i was unbelievably excited when he was announced and mained him loud and proud. I was also shocked at bowser jr having the koopaling alts as i was a huge fan of them back in the day (probly would have actively wanted them if i had thought they were even possible) and actually disliked bowser jr for replacing them... having him get them in smash was kind of my big moment of forgiveness towards bowser jr as a character so its like it came full circle with him replacing them and then him being the reason they got in smash... so we are cool now haha. The other surprise was duck hunt which i didnt think would happen and if we hadnt gotten little mac and then the koopalings all in one game i might have chosen duck hunt as a main (say if we got duck hunt instead of game and watch in melee or instead of r.o.b. in brawl, i'd have probly picked him up as my main). So i got three potential mains in smash4 but little mac wins out to the point where i really dont play the koopalings or duck hunt, but they are certainly some of my favorite choices for character inclusions. i simply cant NOT main little mac as hes always been one of my 3 most wanted.

if Geno or Banjo-Kazooie happen this time I'll double or triple main them along side little mac, id feel a bit spoiled though honestly cause getting little-mac already really satisfies my desire for a main. I hope people get their most wanted characters in, ive felt that sting when little macs assist trophy was shown i waited years for another smash game etc... its tough and now im rooting hard for geno once again (same for banjo kazooie though i have less hope there) but if i dont get him, im happy with mac and just hope the overall roster is solid and most other people get their most wanted mains finally playable. inklings, daisy, and especially ridley is a very good start this time.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
The statement was made showing the default 64 roster, with Luigi, Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff coming up after. So it looks like the original 8, rather than original 12 will be the default roster.

On a side note, anyone else find it humorous Sakurai went from considering removing unlockable characters for the Wii U game to now making nearly everyone unlockable?
But that's completely ignoring the fact that he said "as small as"... He didn't say "hey look these characters are your starting roster" which was the point I was trying to make.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I mean, he already said it was the Konami Sports Game.

I doubted Verg, though I still hope Simon gets in regardless. Castlevania is one of the few hyper-important NES 3rd party games left that don't have a representative in Smash.

That, and Castlevania's music is metal af.
Doesn’t he have a reputation of being about 50/50 with leaks, and backpedaling?

To be honest, I always felt kind of iffy about Simon’s inclusion. I mean, I don’t mind either way. I’m Switzerland in that aspect, but just the chance of his inclusion I was always just kind of like “Ehhhh, maybe? :ohwell:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He did say ''May be as small as..." as well.

The may makes me think that it's not even gonna be just 12.

Shroob

Sup?
Doesn’t he have a reputation of being about 50/50 with leaks, and backpedaling?

To be honest, I always felt kind of iffy about Simon’s inclusion. I mean, I don’t mind either way. I’m Switzerland in that aspect, but just the chance of his inclusion I was always just kind of like “Ehhhh, maybe? :ohwell:
The way I look at it is that Simon is to the NES as Megaman is.

Both are HIGHLY important to the NES' library with their games, to the point that they were basically advertised AS Nintendo characters in the 80s(Thanks Captain N).

Simon is probably the most important NES 3rd party character to the NES' life that we currently don't have in Smash. Ryu Hayabusa and Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins come close, but they pale to Castlevania.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
"Even so, your starting roster may be as small as the original Nintendo 64 game."

This was a follow-up to his previous statement being about how this is the biggest video game crossover in history. I think he's just saying that the starting roster will be small for having 66+ characters. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere between 15-20 characters.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The way I look at it is that Simon is to the NES as Megaman is.

Both are HIGHLY important to the NES' library with their games, to the point that they were basically advertised AS Nintendo characters in the 80s(Thanks Captain N).

Simon is probably the most important NES 3rd party character to the NES' life that we currently don't have in Smash. Ryu Hayabusa and Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins come close, but they pale to Castlevania.

pretty much this, castlevania and megaman were essentially "nintendo" games in the NES days to the point of being as nintendo as mario or zelda in the eyes of most. simon is really the missing piece to all the nes classic stars being together in smash and there is nothing holding him back now with snake in and bomberman as an assist.

Vergebens leak almost doesnt matter at this point, hes super likely as our new third party rep.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
At the very least, I hope at least the Inklings are part of the starting roster. It'd be a shame to have one of first characters used to promote the game needing to be unlocked towards the end.

Shroob

Sup?
pretty much this, castlevania and megaman were essentially "nintendo" games in the NES days to the point of being as nintendo as mario or zelda in the eyes of most. simon is really the missing piece to all the nes classic stars being together in smash and there is nothing holding him back now with snake in and bomberman as an assist.

Vergebens leak almost doesnt matter at this point, hes super likely as our new third party rep.
Pretty much this.

Hell, it's really not even about Simon at this point.

Castlevania is a staple of the NES library, and a hugely important game to video gaming as a whole. Between it and Metroid, it basically birthed a new genre of games called Metroidvanias.

That, and again, the game is highly important to Nintendo's early years as a whole.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Imagine if during the codec call during Snake v Simon, Psyho Mantis hacks coms and says "You like Castlevania, don't you?"

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty much this.

Castlevania is a staple of the NES library, and a hugely important game to video gaming as a whole. Between it and Metroid, it basically birthed a new genre of games called Metroidvanias.

That, and again, the game is highly important to Nintendo's early years as a whole.
Simon wasn't the star of the Metroid-inspired Castlevania games though. :nifty:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just remembered that subspace was originally gonna be more comedy-ish

The writers original plan was like it would be a tournament going on with like, a plot behind it, but the focus would be the characters meeting and interacting in funny situations like samus and dk sitting next to each other on the bus but sakurai didnt agree and we got whatever the hell subspace ended up being

https://www.gamezone.com/originals/final-fantasy-vii-writer-wrote-brawl-39-s-subspace-emissary/

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I got curious about something recently.

I was wondering about how many characters in Smash have never been playable outside of Smash. I overheard somebody talking about how one of the most appealing things about Ridley being playable in Smash is that he's literally never been playable before.

So I decided to run a check.

Aside from Ridley, as far as I can tell, there are only 1.33 other characters that have never been playable before anywhere outside of Smash.
Palutena and the Duck Hunt Dog.

Both the Duck Hunt Duck and the Zapper have been playable before, so Duck Hunt only counts as 1/3rd unplayable.

So out of curiosity, what do people here think of characters as far as playability goes? Does whether or not a character has been playable before at all influence how much you want them in Smash, or how you think about them as potential newcomers? Does anybody have any unplayable characters that they're gunning for right now?

It's kinda interesting to think about.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i wrote a pretty indepths argument earlier for why i think mach rider is in smash on the rate their chances thread and now theres suddenly a "leak" on 4chan with her included.

i dont know if i should be proud what i wrote may have influenced a fake leak... how am i suppose to feel about this?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Pretty much this.

I just want to get the gang back together. Is that too much to ask for?

i wrote a pretty indepths argument earlier for why i think mach rider is in smash on the rate their chances thread and now theres suddenly a "leak" on 4chan with her included.

i dont know if i should be proud what i wrote may have influenced a fake leak... how am i suppose to feel about this?
The leak in question if anyone was wondering:
Thread link
>early august direct has trailer with King K Rool and Funky Kong
>october direct has trailer with Simon Belmont and Ashley
>launch direct will show Geno and the first DLC character Isaac (to be released early next year)
>Shadow, Medusa, Dark Samus, Mach Rider, and Metal Mario won't have trailers

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I was wondering about how many characters in Smash have never been playable outside of Smash. I overheard somebody talking about how one of the most appealing things about Ridley being playable in Smash is that he's literally never been playable before.

Aside from Ridley, as far as I can tell, there are only 1.33 other characters that have never been playable before anywhere outside of Smash.

Both the Duck Hunt Duck and the Zapper have been playable before, so Duck Hunt only counts as 1/3rd unplayable.

So out of curiosity, what do people here think of characters as far as playability goes? Does whether or not a character has been playable before at all influence how much you want them in Smash, or how you think about them as potential newcomers? Does anybody have any unplayable characters that they're gunning for right now?

I think you forgot :ultwiifittrainer:

Staarih

Smash Master
At the very least, I hope at least the Inklings are part of the starting roster. It'd be a shame to have one of first characters used to promote the game needing to be unlocked towards the end.
Yeah, every Smash game has had newcomers in the starting roster, and no matter how much Smash Ultimate goes "back to the roots", I can't see the Inkling, for example, being unlockable with all the promotion it has been used for (and how big Splatoon is). The starting roster may be as small as, or close to, N64, but I doubt it'll be the same starter characters as that game.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Does Wii Fit Trainer counts as non-playable?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Her? Whatchu talkin' bout, geno?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Her? Whatchu talkin' bout, geno?
mach rider is often considered female as the arcade version (not the nes version i believe) slowly revealed a woman with a knife next to mach riders motorcycle, kind of the first samus honestly. though its not totally clear with mach rider if that woman with the knife was mach rider or just someone else you saved or something. no one knows.

Shroob

Sup?
The leak in question if anyone was wondering:
Thread link
>early august direct has trailer with King K Rool and Funky Kong
>october direct has trailer with Simon Belmont and Ashley
>launch direct will show Geno and the first DLC character Isaac (to be released early next year)
>Shadow, Medusa, Dark Samus, Mach Rider, and Metal Mario won't have trailers
>Metal Mario
But, the Metal Box already is an item. No, that wouldn't be confusing at all in multi-smash.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think you forgot :ultwiifittrainer:
Ah, that's right. My mistake.

Still, 3.33 characters is pretty small given the amount of characters in Smash.

Some characters barely eek by as far as being playable, but they're still playable.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
>Metal Mario
But, the Metal Box already is an item. No, that wouldn't be confusing at all in multi-smash.
yeah metal mario screams fake to me cause of the metal box, also i really am banking on the original 12 being the top of the CSS and if you give one of them an echo fighter it screws up the CSS having that going for it.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've said it before and I'll say it again: we need an option to allow people to have either all of, or most of the cast unlocked right out of the box. Having to unlock 60+ characters, while a positive to many, is more tedious and boring. I'd rather not grind out an obscene amount matches or classic mode runs in order to unlock the characters I want to play out of the box.

It's one of the biggest gripes I have with Melee, and how I got burnt out on that game so quickly trying to unlock characters in that game, something that many still seem to find enjoyable for whatever reason.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, honestly if the Metal Box had been cut, I legit wouldn't have minded Metal Mario as an echo since he was a mini-boss in 64, but the Metal Box exist, causing readability issues in multi smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
No matter how legit a leak is (and that one is so very fake), I can't help but be skeptical that K. Rool would be revealed right after Ridley.

If he is then I give Sakurai full credit... and full paying price for the game.

Simon/Ashley revealed in October would be cute though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Hopping on the main train.
:ultsnake::ultshulk::ultness::ultolimar::ultgnw:

I always pick up a new character with each game (except Brawl, where I picked up two). I like alternating characters, so I never drop previous ones.
Except when Snake was forcibly taken from me.

The best part of a new game is working out who I like the most out of the newbies, Inkies and Riddles are looking pretty appealing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom