• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, the problem with this leak is it sounds way too Smashboard-y.

Ashley, K.Rool, Simon all at once?

While I'm not doubting their chances of getting in, this just screams of "Hey, I'm lurking Smashboards and gonna post a fake leak that'll be forgotten in an hour"

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The leak in question if anyone was wondering:
Thread link
>early august direct has trailer with King K Rool and Funky Kong
>october direct has trailer with Simon Belmont and Ashley
>launch direct will show Geno and the first DLC character Isaac (to be released early next year)
>Shadow, Medusa, Dark Samus, Mach Rider, and Metal Mario won't have trailers
While obviously fake, it makes for some interesting discussion regarding potential characters.

Honestly, I'd love to have all of these characters in the game, especially with K.Rool, Simon and Geno clearly appealing to the fan demand they've had for years. Medusa would definitely be an interesting addition, but I'm not sure what she'd bring to the table in terms of her hypothetical move set. Any Kid Icarus fans able to clue me in on what she might be able to do.

Simon and Ashley being revealed in an October direct makes too much sense and now I'm going to be disappointed because it probably won't happen :p

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Honestly, the problem with this leak is it sounds way too Smashboard-y.

Ashley, K.Rool, Simon all at once?

While I'm not doubting their chances of getting in, this just screams of "Hey, I'm lurking Smashboards and gonna post a fake leak that'll be forgotten in an hour"
well the fact i wrote a pretty good argument for mach riders inclusion within the last 24 hours and i havent heard anyone say anything about him/her outside this website and suddenly hes/shes part of a leak... im not buying it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
C'mon 4chan, you can do better than this.

I see you /vg/, gimme something I can actually sink my teeth into, not this text crap, I want a picture 'leak'.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So I was just going over the switch rumor arcive on resetera and I found a statement from Emily in late May. She said there would be no cuts and specifically said nintendo wanted this to be "the ultimate smash bros game". Along with that she said the newcomers would "make people jump out of their seats." I believe that she is completely accurate here. We can assume Ridley is one of the characters she was referring to with the statement, but the question remains: who else would make people jump out of their seats?

I'm now more confident in K. Rool then I ever have been. Geno and Bandanna Dee also fit in the extreme excitement category imo.

Shroob

Sup?
So I was just going over the switch rumor arcive on resetera and I found a statement from Emily in late May. She said there would be no cuts and specifically said nintendo wanted this to be "the ultimate smash bros game". Along with that she said the newcomers would "make people jump out of their seats." I believe that she is completely accurate here. We can assume Ridley is one of the characters she was referring to with the statement, but the question remains: who else would make people jump out of their seats?

I'm now more confident in K. Rool then I ever have been. Geno and Bandanna Dee also fit in the extreme excitement category imo.
Considering that sounds like she got to see the E3 trailer early, there's really nothing there that says it'd be anyone other than Ridley, frankly.

These trailers and Directs are likely filmed months in advance.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Considering that sounds like she got to see the E3 trailer early, there's really nothing there that says it'd be anyone other than Ridley, frankly.

These trailers and Directs are likely filmed months in advance.
The only newcomers revealed at E3 were Ridley and Daisy and while Daisy has her fans, I don't think she's the type of characters that would make people "jump out of their seats" so I have to believe Emily knows about more newcomers than just those 2 because she specifically said "newcomers." Also Emily is a journalist who receives info from various sources. I can't imagine someone just sent her a copy of the E3 trailer for her to watch.

Shroob

Sup?
The only newcomers revealed at E3 were Ridley and Daisy and while Daisy has her fans, I don't think she's the type of characters that would make people "jump out of their seats" so I have to believe Emily knows about more newcomers than just those 2 because she specifically said "newcomers." Also Emily is a journalist who receives info from various sources. I can't imagine someone just sent her a copy of the E3 trailer for her to watch.
All the hints that you gave me lead me to believe nothing more than she saw the E3 trailer.

"No cuts" = E3 trailer.
"Ultimate" = E3 trailer

And yes, this happens a lot. There's been murmurs that several people in that group saw the E3 trailer early somehow.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

K.Rool, Geno, Bandana Dee and Waluigi in terms of first party reps.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Daisy caused excitement in every video reaction I've seen.

She might not be on the level of Ridley or Inklings, but she certainly was met with a great deal of excitement even as an Echo Fighter

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here's a leak from a reliable source:
Now don't quote me on this, but it seems Smash for the Switch is gonna be released December 7th of this year

With how drunk people are on hype, even a goddamn goomba would make people jump out of their seats.

Shroob

Sup?
That's another thing to note.

Even though we knew Inklings 3 months in advance, we knew nothing about them. Technically, they were still, and still are, 'newcomers'. We didn't get "JUST Daisy and Ridley" at E3, Inklings count, even if we knew they were in, since we got the first actual look of gameplay at them.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While I would like to see Springman included in the roster, I’m fine with not seeing him in as long as this track is included.

I have no idea but I love listening this song. Especially when I’m in a bad mood.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
All the hints that you gave me lead me to believe nothing more than she saw the E3 trailer.

"No cuts" = E3 trailer.
"Ultimate" = E3 trailer

And yes, this happens a lot. There's been murmurs that several people in that group saw the E3 trailer early somehow.
In the initial comment, she mentioned the "roster" as a whole would please many. Whether or not she is correct, her claim is that she knows the entire roster.

Shroob

Sup?
In the initial comment, she mentioned the "roster" as a whole would please many. Whether or not she is correct, her claim is that she knows the entire roster.
You're reeeeeeally stretching here, bud.

How do you KNOW she knows every character?

Because let me put it this way.

"I am pleased with the roster."

Does this mean I know every character in the game? No, but I do know that every character is here, and the 3 E3 newcomers, so I am 'pleased'.

It really sounds you're trying to stretch her words to find something that's not there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From what I remember, regular Metal Mario is a much more solid color, while the Metal Box'd characters specifically have detailed outlines and looked more like the details are embedded on.

Calling fake myself, but there is a difference between 64/Melee/Brawl's old Metal style and 4/Ultimate's Metal style. Also, Metal Mario would make the most sense as an Echo of Dr. Mario, with only the Megavitamins requiring a slight shape change(and color change).

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
You're reeeeeeally stretching here, bud.

How do you KNOW she knows every character?

Because let me put it this way.

"I am pleased with the roster."

Does this mean I know every character in the game? No, but I do know that every character is here, and the 3 E3 newcomers, so I am 'pleased'.

It really sounds you're trying to stretch her words to find something that's not there.
I don't know. It seems weird that she didn't just say, "many will be pleased with the additions revealed at E3 as well as no cuts!" One would assume she was referring to the roster as a whole unless she specifically mentioned E3 which she never did. One more thing to note: May 27th was the day she said this and I find it hard to believe she had access to the E3 video presentation that early. The only known accurate leak of someone watching that video came on June 11th, one day before. If that video had already been leaked, more people would have reported on it between then and E3.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know. It seems weird that she didn't just say, "many will be pleased with the additions revealed at E3 as well as no cuts!" One would assume she was referring to the roster as a whole unless she specifically mentioned E3 which she never did. One more thing to note: May 27th was the day she said this and I find it hard to believe she had access to the E3 video presentation that early. The only known accurate leak of someone watching that video came on June 11th, one day before. If that video had already been leaked, more people would have reported on it between then and E3.
One of the people who was on a GameExplain vid, that was posted here about 20-30 pages back iirc, is part of the same group as her, and in one part of the video, iirc, he made a joke about Ridley, only to follow it up with Daisy DIRECTLY after it.

Now, lemme repeat myself, said person made a joke involving both Ridley and Daisy ONLY, and is part of the same group as this woman.

That's a bit too coincidental for my taste, so I'm lead to believe that yes, a very small handful of people somehow saw the trailer. How? No ****ing clue, but **** leaks all the time.

This doesn't shock me. Leaks come in all sizes, no matter how odd they are.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but the blog has been updated again!

Today's Item
Assist Trophy: Bomberman
Bomberman is a brand-new Assist Trophy, which means he's here to help you during battle. The bombs he leaves on the stage detonate in his iconic, cross-shaped pattern!

Today's Music
You can now listen to "Bomb Rush Blush" on the official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the inclusion of bomberman will lead to more third party assists not tied to a playable franchise? I love bomberman, one of my earliest memories is playing it on the mega drive when I was about three, so to see him included even in a small way is fantastic.

If memory serves, bomberman’s rights are owned by Konami so it’s likely easier to have third party assists from companies already with characters in the game. Be great to see the likes of Chrono, Heihachi, Ai-Ai or a whole bunch more as assists.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This whole Metal Mario is forgetting something rather vital about Echo characters, namely they're the same size and weight as their sources. Add a million pounds to Mario and you need to rework his balance in a big way to not make him OP or UP.

Side note: IF he was in, I'd like them to go the extra mile and make him low poly Smash 64 styled, compete with Mario's old animations.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As far as Metal Mario is concerned, I think I'd rather they just update the Special Smash mode where you can adjust every player's stats individually rather than restricting everyone to the same rules. That way you can implement a match with Metal Mario or Giant DK in reference to the original classic mode from Smash 64 without making everyone else also metal or giant..

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
"Even so, your starting roster may be as small as the original Nintendo 64 game."

This was a follow-up to his previous statement being about how this is the biggest video game crossover in history. I think he's just saying that the starting roster will be small for having 66+ characters. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere between 15-20 characters.
15-20 is not, "as small as" 8.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What I'm getting is one of "Start off with the Smash 64 starting roster", "start off with the full Smash 64 roster" or "Start off with 12 characters, including the original 8 Smash characters". If the last one, I'm imagining the original 8 plus one character from each subsequent game (Let's say: Bowser, Pit, Villager and Inkling)

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The starting roster on N64 was 8 characters. You unlocked 4 of them. If you go back and watch, it originally shows the original 8 fighters then grows to show 12, then includes all of the Melee fighters, and then so on.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

One of the problems with Emily's "leak" was that it was subjective. She says it has characters that will make people jump out of their seats which could be Ridley & Daisy, and I've definitely seen reaction videos of people hype over Snake, Ice Climbers etc. She also said she knows it can't please everyone (or something like that) which leads me to believe she saw some of the disconfirmed like Waluigi.

So even if she did see more than what was at E3 (which I doubt) you can't possibly point to any character. Would King K. Rool make people jump out of their seats? Ansolutely. Would this roster not make everyone happy if it didn't have King K. Rool? Absolutely. Trust me I already went through this with trying to decipher if Ridley was in based on her statement lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I skipped the last couple of pages because I don't feel like going through all of that, but I'll respond to those who have replied to me specifically
What certain character would not make you want to buy the game?
I mentioned that character so many times throughout the history of this thread already so just look up my previous posts.
Same reason why Goku or a Mankey won't make it into the game. Not realistic. Not noteworthy.
Are you seriously comparing Waluigi to a non-video game character and a random Pokemon that basically no one asks for?
Waluigi is at least massively popular, memes or not.
And there are far better, more unique, plausible options.
The "unique" part is subjective, but sure.
Likewise, there are tons of Mario characters that are more noteworthy and unique than Waluigi
Aside from Toad and Koopa Troopa, I can't think of any other Mario character that casuals would recognize and isn't already in Smash.
Even so, why should fans care? As a fan, I really don't care about what's "noteworthy" when I think of characters I want.
Unless you mean they shouldn't make such a big deal out of it because of that, in which case I agree.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The starting roster is the n64 starting roster.
The starting roster on N64 was 8 characters. You unlocked 4 of them. If you go back and watch, it originally shows the original 8 fighters then grows to show 12, then includes all of the Melee fighters, and then so on.
Yes I was arguing this. My post was in response to someone saying otherwise, claiming the roster starting roster is going to be larger than the starting 8 or original 12, despite pointing out the wording being, "starting roste being as small as the original game".

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I know I said this earlier tonight, but honestly, it still baffles me that Sakurai went THIS hard on our first true showing of the game.

I just can't for the life of me imagine what he has in store to keep hype going until December, because while people like you or me may be hyped up for fairly obvious reasons, it feels like he dropped his trump card SUPER early on.

Bringing back every prior veteran was already a huge, HUGE gamechanger for how people thought about this game, and honestly could have been enough, but because E3, he had to drop something big(Hah)....... but was Ridley REALLY the best choice I have to wonder? To drop then and there I mean.

Yes, Ridley is making Smash Ultimate ride high on hype, but come the middle of July, when we're still getting re-hashed E3 info for our PotDs, the hype is going to dwindle until the next Direct and, frankly, what can Sakurai even show us that'll match Ridley?

In ONE presentation, he guaranteed us that EVERY previous character is back, and Ridley, a character that this community has wanted for seventeen years... Unless it's a character in a boat similar to Ridley, like Geno or K.Rool, I just cannot see HOW hype will ever reach the Ridley reveal level.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm hyped af for Ridley, but could you imagine Ridley being dropped more in the midway point to release? Now, I'm just left here wondering "Okay, HOW are you going to top Ridley? It's impossible." Not to bash on anyone, but a trailer for a character like Elma, Simon, etc just... I really can't see anything topping the E3 announcement.

tl;dr: While I'm grateful for all the news we got at E3, it honestly feels like he played his best card SUPER early. We still have about 5 and a half months to go; while hype is still at a high right now, he's going to have to somehow try to at least match his E3 showing, which I can't see how, frankly.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I know I said this earlier tonight, but honestly, it still baffles me that Sakurai went THIS hard on our first true showing of the game.

I just can't for the life of me imagine what he has in store to keep hype going until December, because while people like you or me may be hyped up for fairly obvious reasons, it feels like he dropped his trump card SUPER early on.

Bringing back every prior veteran was already a huge, HUGE gamechanger for how people thought about this game, and honestly could have been enough, but because E3, he had to drop something big(Hah)....... but was Ridley REALLY the best choice I have to wonder? To drop then and there I mean.

Yes, Ridley is making Smash Ultimate ride high on hype, but come the middle of July, when we're still getting re-hashed E3 info for our PotDs, the hype is going to dwindle until the next Direct and, frankly, what can Sakurai even show us that'll match Ridley?

In ONE presentation, he guaranteed us that EVERY previous character is back, and Ridley, a character that this community has wanted for seventeen years... Unless it's a character in a boat similar to Ridley, like Geno or K.Rool, I just cannot see HOW hype will ever reach the Ridley reveal level.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm hyped af for Ridley, but could you imagine Ridley being dropped more in the midway point to release? Now, I'm just left here wondering "Okay, HOW are you going to top Ridley? It's impossible." Not to bash on anyone, but a trailer for a character like Elma, Simon, etc just... I really can't see anything topping the E3 announcement.

tl;dr: While I'm grateful for all the news we got at E3, it honestly feels like he played his best card SUPER early. We still have about 5 and a half months to go; while hype is still at a high right now, he's going to have to somehow try to at least match his E3 showing, which I can't see how, frankly.
Does he need to? It's Smash Bros. The game releases in like 6 months, so as long as they recap past reveals and add a few more newcomers it's gonna sell like crazy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think the starting roster is going to be the original 8 or 12.

There's no way they'd advertise all these newcomers and not slap some of them on the starting roster.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

tl;dr: While I'm grateful for all the news we got at E3, it honestly feels like he played his best card SUPER early.
True but...there are very few people who are one the fence about buying it at this point. Smash isn't really one of those games that you need to carry the hype for ages in order to guarantee that people buy it - I'm sure that most people one these boards who believe in preorders have already done so, and I bet loads of people are going to a midnight release.

Still, we didn't get a single new 3rd party, and those tend to have a lot of hype attached. Rids was also much more of an American request, so there are still characters with even broader popularity.

I do believe we're not getting much new info for a while though. There will undoubtedly be another Smash direct in the future - I'd wager something like the 50 fact extravaganza so they could show off single player modes and there'd definitely be a new character announce there. Not that it'll match E3, but E3 is where you're supposed to hype everyone up, and that was also the first real look at the game.

Shroob

Sup?
Does he need to? It's Smash Bros. The game releases in like 6 months, so as long as they recap past reveals and add a few more newcomers it's gonna sell like crazy.
It's good for publicity.

Smash hype is almost an industry at this point. Look at just how many 'reaction' videos sprung up towards the E3 trailer, which just puts Smash even deeper into the public conscious, which just builds hype on top of hype. You feel hyped seeing other people get excited, which spreads a positive influence.

While places like this and reddit will be checking daily for new news, the casual audience will honestly forget Smash exists by next month.

People may roll their eyes at how Etika acts, but his overblown exaggeration is something that benefits the casual side of Smash greatly, imo. I mean, hell, Sakurai himself retweeted his "Mewtwo revealed as DLC" video. The man knows that people like Etika are basically free publicity.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Bringing back characters is kind of hard to hype too. Hell, people are already going "there'll only be 4~ more newcomers" because in their minds they've always had Wolf/Icies/Snake. They just... misplaced them like a sock or something.

I don't think every newcomer has to top the last, though. It's never been that way for Smash. Ike definitely did not outdo Snake. Shulk did not outdo Mega Man. Thinking like that just leads to "how can you outdo CLOUD, you have to add GOKU".

As for the roster, maybe it'll be the same format as 64 but not the same characters.
  • Start with 12 characters total; the "main 8" and the 4 'unlocks' (who you don't actually unlock)
  • 8 characters are the faces of their franchise (ie Mario, Marth, Ness, Donkey Kong)
  • 2 of the 'unlocks' are from franchises featured in the main 8 (ie if you got Marth, you might get Roy. If you got Donkey Kong, you might get Diddy Kong)
  • 2 of the 'unlocks' are from single-man or oddball franchises (ie Game & Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt)
  • Your starting roster is randomized, but fits these general rules.
    • There may be additional rules on top of these (ie you have at least 2 debuts from each Smash game; 2 from 64, 2 from Melee, 2 from Brawl, 2 from WiiU, 2 newcomers, 2 wildcards for 12 total)
  • Every character has unlock conditions because you can potentially start without a certain character. You might not have Mario to start with and have to unlock him of all people.
Imagine all the people screenshotting their unique starting roster. Do they get their faves right off? Are they stuck with no-one they like? It'd certainly be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom