• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Sakurai's statement during when Bomberman got revealed of "maybe an unexpected guest will photobomb your battle" seems to imply that there will be more third party assist trophies.
I didn't infer that at all.

"an unexpected guest" is singular and "photobomb" is just a pun specifically referencing BOMBerman.

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
But that's assuming Metal Mario would use the FLUDD.

The closest to Smash 64 Mario we have is Dr. Mario. I think Metal Mario could feasibly be Dr. Mario's Echo Fighter. All they have to do is change the pills back to fireballs. Ha! Ironic considering Dr. Mario got in the game because they changed the fireballs to pills.
I don't see Metal Mario getting in the game. Considering you can already play as metal mario...in special smash XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bomberman not being playable makes sense to me, he has a unique potential moveset sure but at the end of the day all he's using are bombs. That's not really exciting
This reminds me of pre-SSB4 arguments against Little Mac.

"But all he does is punch. That's not really exciting."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bomberman not being playable makes sense to me, he has a unique potential moveset sure but at the end of the day all he's using are bombs. That's not really exciting
You can say the same about Little Mac but really, not every character in the game is going to be a fighter.

You probably can make some Assist Trophies playable but there weren't considered as playable characters in the first place for a reason.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Interesting point, since this is subjective. I feel that that's different for every person. It does raise an interesting discussion topic, and kinda goes with what @Lampy's been talking about before...

Is there any one character who would hype you to the point that you don't even care about the rest of the roster? And conversely, is there any one character who would make you so annoyed you'd not buy the game?

I don't think there's a single character that would make me not buy the game. I'm so hyped for Ridley and Squirtle, so I feel like I'd be amenable to any character they added. Sure, there's a bunch of names flung around that make me roll my eyes or grumble, but nobody is a no-buy situation.

But for me, if by some miracle Dovahkiin is in, I would accept even Shrek in the game. I love Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls series, but I'd never even considered him on the roster until all of the third party DLC and Skyrim's Switch port (really bummed I didn't get to vote him on the ballot). I feel like he'd have an awesome moveset, and I'd absolutely love to see the dragonslayer fighting Ridley.
Ridley's that for me, they can add Rex, Pyra, Faye, Banjo Kazooie and Goku for all I care.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
One thing I really dislike is we receive SO MUCH information at E3, we get more gameplay footage from the RAGE tournament in Japan....and then~~~~ nothing XD I need info! I must get new info to digest lol

I like theory crafting and speculating, but after awhile I just want official statements, news, or video info.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I still think they would've revealed Simon at e3 if he was in the game. I think the only new 3rd party will be Geno.
I also believe that there are not gonna be much 3rd party characters in this new smash and if all, Geno is the one with bigger chances.

D

Deleted member

I'd be massively disappointed if the only third party newcomer is basically just a Nintendo character that just so happens to be owned by Square Enix.
I also doubt it. Outside the core fanbase (which is the only audience that this thread seems to achknowledge), he's basically a nobody, which kinda goes against the (presumed) reason why third-parties are even added at the first place.
I wouldn't say he has no chance but saying he'd be the only third party newcomer is a very bold statement.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
It's not necessarily that Sakurai found Bomberman insufficient to be a playable character, Sakurai probably just found other characters to be better additions than Bomberman at this time; he does hold third parties to a stricter standard and tries to limit their representation, and just among Konami characters, Bomberman faced very stiff competition from Snake (Bomberman was not going to be prioritized over him regardless of if everyone was being brought back or not) and Simon Belmont.

Iridium

Smash Hero

These are the VoDs for Rage 2018 Summer that I could find. What do you guys think of the characters displayed?

There is also this single VoD, although I am not sure what to think of this gameplay.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Is there any one character who would hype you to the point that you don't even care about the rest of the roster? And conversely, is there any one character who would make you so annoyed you'd not buy the game?
Toad and/or Meowth being playable... oh wait.

For SSB4, it was Duck Hunt Dog that got me hyped. After being denied the opportunity to play as Toad and Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog was an unexpected consolation prize. I have been wanting to play as Duck Hunt Dog for 12 years and finally I have that opportunity to play as Duck Hunt Dog and it quickly became my main.

For Ultimate, I don't know yet so far. Meowth and Toad are unfortunately disconfirmed... so I guess I would be excited about Dixie Kong (as long as it's an unique character and not as an Echo Fighter) and maybe King K. Rool and definitely Simon Belmont (please don't use Judgment design, I don't need to be reminded it exists) and maybe Banjo-Kazooie (please don't use the Nuts & Bolts design, I don't need to be reminded it exists).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If by chance Simon Belmont does get in and Bayonetta is not in his CGI trailer intro.

I'm cancelling my pre-order.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Why is this normal dog and duck so annoying to fight? And where's all of this cover fire coming from?

Colonel: If you've played the original Super Mario Bros., then the classic game titled Duck Hunt should sound familiar to you, Snake. It came in the same cartridge as Super Mario Bros..

Snake: So that explains why these two are here... But it still doesn't explain where all these shots are coming from, though. Is there a sniper somewhere?

Colonel: Essentially, yes. This animal duo is being assisted by an unseen gunman, using an NES Zapper to fire shots to help with their attacks, just as if they were playing a game of Duck Hunt. The dog can also summon one of five different Wild Gunmen from the game Wild Gunman to attack you with and protect itself, but they can be taken out easily.

Snake: Interesting... You know, I wonder how good Ocelot would be at Duck Hunt, seems just like his kind of game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Interesting point, since this is subjective. I feel that that's different for every person. It does raise an interesting discussion topic, and kinda goes with what @Lampy's been talking about before...

I don't think there's a single character that would make me not buy the game. I'm so hyped for Ridley and Squirtle, so I feel like I'd be amenable to any character they added. Sure, there's a bunch of names flung around that make me roll my eyes or grumble, but nobody is a no-buy situation.

But for me, if by some miracle Dovahkiin is in, I would accept even Shrek in the game. I love Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls series, but I'd never even considered him on the roster until all of the third party DLC and Skyrim's Switch port (really bummed I didn't get to vote him on the ballot). I feel like he'd have an awesome moveset, and I'd absolutely love to see the dragonslayer fighting Ridley.
Captain Toad.

To the extent you could fill the rest of the newcomer roster with characters I cannot stand and I'd still be thrilled.

For the opposite; Shadow the Hedgehog is the closest one that's slightly likely but at least I have the chance to kick his face in if he gets in.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have no doubt that Sakurai could make Bomberman work if he wanted to. He could make anyone work, really. Maybe the time just wasn't right.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Why does Metal Mario keep popping up in fake leaks?

I see him mentioned all the time in these things.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
So far, I've made my own codecs for :ultgreninja::ultmegaman::ultdarkpit::ultvillager::ultsonic:and:ultduckhunt:.

Since I'm doing one codec per character a day, I'm gonna make a thread in the Snake subforum in Character Discussion for archiving all of my codec ideas so they can all be easily read and accessed, and for others to share their ideas for codecs. It's fun to do, you sometimes even have to do a little bit of research on the characters, which makes it interesting, and it's a good creative writing exercise sort of.

That said, here's the preview for tomorrow:

Otacon: SHORYUKEN!

Next up: :ultryu:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why does Metal Mario keep popping up in fake leaks?

I see him mentioned all the time in these things.
I'm a bit puzzled myself, since technically, you can play as Metal Mario; just have Mario pick up a Metal Box. Of course, the Metal Box's effects are only temporary.

MainJPW

M.T.A

So Bomberman has different types of bombs. I wonder what this one does.
It’s a Remote Control Bomb. With that bomb, Bomberman can detonate it whenever he likes. He might randomly lay one or a bunch of those and detonate them when someone gets close to it.

Here are the most similar designs of this bomb type.

The ones in Bomberman 64 have a drastically different design.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Some thoughts I had from looking at the official website:

There are only two series which have more than one representative which were not in Smash 64: Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem. Every other series with multiple reps is a 64 original, and even then Yoshi and Cap are still alone.

Every game so far has added new series to the game: Melee added 3, Brawl 6, Sm4sh 8, and Sm4sh DLC 3. So far, we’ve got one new one.

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but it’s interesting. Series representation has little to do with character uniqueness, but it’s something to think about.

Hopefully everyone sharing a series can also start to diversify victory themes by the end.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Remember when Rex was widely seen as one of the most likely newcomer characters just 3 months ago?
Until the Imgur "leak" came along, I didn't think of Elma at all being a realistic candidate (I thought her window came and went when Corrin got the new game DLC slot over her in Smash 4 and everyone seemingly forgotten X for Xenoblade 2), and just assumed Rex/Pyra would be in as that is what everyone seemed to rave about for a Xenoblade newcomer. Then the Imgur "leak" made me reconsider her, where I then better considered how the development timeline went, which alongside other circumstantial stuff like the mech rifle, makes me thinks she's rather likely now, while I think Rex/Pyra is nearly certain to not happen in the base game (the same better consideration of the development timeline also made me go from thinking an Arms character was a given to now thinking it's very unlikely).

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I still wouldn't mind seeing Rex make his way in as a character, but they would seriously need to tone down the "in your face female assets" of Pyra/Mythra for the game XD
With ZSS's smaller breast, I feel like Pyra/Mythra assest would get toned down too.

In fact, I go to say that Pyra, maybe not Mytha, but Pyra, will get a small redesign if she get in. Just to tone down some apsect of her design, while still making it sense with her power and character.

Or they could just put this as a alternate costume.
Gormotti_Pyra.png

The costume can be used in the full game thanks to the DLC, so I could see Sakurai deciding to put this just in case.

Rex might get a redesign too, but if that happen, I hope the salvager motif stay in, it's a big part of Rex character after all.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Speaking of, is the Imgur leak presumed dead at this point? I mean, so far it technically hasn't been wrong, but this game is giving no sign of a "Heroes vs Villains" vibe, besides Ridley.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Until the Imgur "leak" came along, I didn't think of Elma at all being a realistic candidate (I thought her window came and went when Corrin got the new game DLC slot over her in Smash 4 and everyone seemingly forgotten X for Xenoblade 2), and just assumed Rex/Pyra would be in as that is what everyone seemed to rave about for a Xenoblade newcomer. Then the Imgur "leak" made me reconsider her, where I then better considered how the development timeline went, which alongside other circumstantial stuff like the mech rifle, makes me thinks she's rather likely now, while I think Rex/Pyra is nearly certain to not happen in the base game (the same better consideration of the development timeline also made me go from thinking an Arms character was a given to now thinking it's very unlikely).
I didn't really consider Elma that much until the Sourcegaming video concerning when Smash Switch started development happened which was 2 months ago. Now at this point, I do think she'd have a legitimate chance, particularly since she'd still be pretty recent in 2016 due to the international release date of X being in December 2015 (and we know thanks to Corrin that international release dates matter in terms of recency).

Pakky

Smash Hero
With ZSS's smaller breast, I feel like Pyra/Mythra assest would get toned down too.
ZSS's reduction makes her look more like her original design.

Turning down Pyra would be going against the character's design also is a little silly, while :ultbayonetta: exists

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill

Turning down Pyra would be going against the character's design also is a little silly, while :ultbayonetta: exists
Even Bayo is toned done from her source games. She doesn't become almost completely naked when summoning her demon fists/legs like in Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. So Sakurai is willing to tone some overly mature aspects of characters down if he adds them into smash.

They can keep the oufits of Pyra/Mythra is they want, but considering that Smash is also a family/party game that many kids play, I would imagine that their "assets" would be toned down with that audience in mind.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Honestly, I don't think Pyra & Bayo can be really compared. But I won't go in detail since I don't want to turn this thread into another "Should Pyra's Smash Balls get toned down?" kind of debate, no thanks.:ultgnw:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Unlike Arcadenik, If they were to add Banjo & Kazooie I actually hope they use the Nuts & Bolts design. It has so much more pesonality than the Classic one. I do think It does need som minor fixes, mainly Banjo's Hair and Kazooie's Wings. They also need to get the color, fur and eyes right, like the Boxart Artwork, unlike all the other artworks.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Even Bayo is toned done from her source games. She doesn't become almost completely naked when summoning her demon fists/legs like in Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. So Sakurai is willing to tone some overly mature aspects of characters down if he adds them into smash.

They can keep the oufits of Pyra/Mythra is they want, but considering that Smash is also a family/party game that many kids play, I would imagine that their "assets" would be toned down with that audience in mind.
I mean she still strips and is from a M rated game and is base content in this game while Pyra is only from a T for teen game though so...

Besides the characters are in near constant motion. so I really think this is being blown out of proportion.

Also if this is a problem, THIS
or
have to be as stage elements or trophies

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I mean she still strips and is from a M rated game and is base content in this game while Pyra is only from a T for teen game though so...

Besides the characters are in near constant motion. so I really think this is being blown out of proportion.
Right, she goes from being fully clothed to being in what could be considered a short dress or a nightgown. It's still a change from her original games.

And you're right, we are constantly moving so that is the primary focus of the game. But if they implemented Rex with Pyra/Mythra, we don't know how they would add Pyra and Mythra, so everything would basically be speculation at this point. However, it still, imo anyway, is something that Sakurai would probably want to look at toning down if he was to implement them into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom