• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
This is really late for this, but I thought I would share anyway. I added potential newcomers at the end of the list and I'll update it when a new character is revealed or we get more information on certain characters already confirmed.

As for my five, they would be the four in my signature and Peach. I love Peach's float :)

:ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpeach:
S: Very excited to play them and are the mostly likely candidates for a main
:ultpalutena::ultzelda::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpeach::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer:

A: Fun characters that I will play pretty often
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultridley::ultganondorf::ultbayonetta::ultmewtwo::ultvillager::ultlucas::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultyounglink::ultness::ultluigi::ultrobin:ulticeclimbers::ultpikachu:

B: Characters I love as characters, but have things that make them less appealing to me (I wish I loved the Kirby characters in Smash more)
:ultlink::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultduckhunt::ultdaisy::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultlucario::ultpichu::ultgnw::ultdoc::ultzss::ultsamus:

C: Characters I will just play to see how they work or because Im curious about their competitive meta
:ultrosalina::ultyoshi::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbowser::ultfalco::ultrob::ultryu::ulttoonlink::ultmario::ultfalcon::ultroy::ultolimar:

D: Characters I have little to no interest in: :ultwario::ultjigglypuff::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultsheik::ultcorrin::ultfox:

Some guesses on where potential newcomers would be for me:

King K Rool: B (it's like Dedede, I think I would like him more as a character than a fighter)
Ashley: A/B
Elma: S/A
Rex and Pyra: B (lol Rex is so funny looking)
Decidueye: A/B
Captain Toad: B/C
Paper Mario: C (I have serious doubts about him being super fun as a playable character at this point)
Bandana Dee: A/B
Chorus Kids/Marshall: B (maybe A?)
Mimikyu: C/D
Incineroar: B/C
Lycanroc: A/B
Celica: S/A (Waifu bias)
Marx: D
Skull Kid: B/C
Lip: B
Excite Bike: B/C
Impa (echo or not): B (Sheik getting a fresh coat of paint does wonders)
Dark Samus (echo or not): A
Shadow (not an echo): A
Shadow (echo): B/C
Alph: D
Rayman: ??? (at least B maybe?)
Crash: C
Simon Belmont: S/A

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe my own personal feelings, but if we're judging how 'evil' a Smash character is, this is how I'd rank them:

Not bad guys:

Meta-Knight, King DeDeDe, Mewtwo

"Bad" guys:

Bowser, Bowser Jr. Wolf

Actually evil, but not an indiscriminate killer:

Ganondorf

Holy **** what's wrong with you:

Ridley

Shroob

Sup?
In short, we need more villains.

I'm not sure where K.Rool would fit on that spectrum, but someone like Marx would fit alongside Ridley just fine as a "Completely psychotic antagonist".

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?
"Finally a Pokemon rep that's worthwhile. AND a villain? That's excellent."

Playable Meowth alone would make me satisfied with the Pokemon roster for the first time. Although to be fair, if Meowth had been added instead of Jigglypuff way back when I'd have been thrilled by the Pokemon roster since day one.
So just for fun, if each represented franchise were to get one more representative, who would you pick?

Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: King K Rool
Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Dark Samus
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokemon: Decidueye
F-zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Chrom
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Pikmin: Alph (own character)
Animal Crossing: Tom Noom
Punch Out: King Hippo
Xenoblade: Rex
Metal Gear: Gray Fox
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-man
Street Fighter: Blanka
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Rodin
Splatoon: Octolings

I left out a few franchises that didn't really have other characters.
:ultmario:: Captain Toad
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultlink:: Impa
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee
:ultfox:: Slippy
:ultpikachu:: Meowth
:ultfalcon:: Goroh
:ultness:: Porky
:ultmarth:: Kiran(summons other FE characters heh)
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultolimar:: Louie
:ultvillager:: Isabelle
:ultlittlemac:: Doc
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultsnake:: Ocelot
:ultsonic:: Tails
:ultmegaman:: Roll
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Black Mage
:ultbayonetta:: Rodin
:ultinkling:: Octoling

Shroob

Sup?
I really do hope we get at least two more villains this game though, don't care who they are, I'll take anyone.

Dark Samus and K.Rool? Dark Samus and Marx? K.Rool and whoever, bring 'em here.

We finally have a Smash game where all the antagonists are finally together for once, and we got Ridley on top of that, it'd be a damn shame to not add onto that, kinda like how 4 finally made Smash not such a sausagefest.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I'm not sure where K.Rool would fit on that spectrum, but someone like Marx would fit alongside Ridley just fine as a "Completely psychotic antagonist".
I'd put him above Bowser but below Ganondorf, in the first 3 games he's just trying to steal banana's which isn't terrible but in DK64 he's literally trying to blow up DK Island lmao. Bowser may have tried to kidnap peach and take over the kingdom but he's never actively tried to kill anyone at least.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

K. Rool kinda comes off as somewhere between Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil. He's stolen the banana horde several times either to starve the Kongs or because he liked bananas (or not - aka Flip Flop of God Trope). He's probably at his vilest during the last stages of the Rare Donkey Kong Country games, DKC2 and DK64 though; firing cannonballs pointblank at DK then outright trying to blow up DK Island. But I guess prior to his hiatus, his evilness meter dropped to a bit below Bowser-levels of evil, where he's doing evil because that's probably what he's best at.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'd put him above Bowser but below Ganondorf, in the first 3 games he's just trying to steal banana's which isn't terrible but in DK64 he's literally trying to blow up DK Island lmao. Bowser may have tried to kidnap peach and take over the kingdom but he's never actively tried to kill anyone at least.
It's really odd, since 64 has K.Rool super out of character compared to literally all of his other appearances.

In the first 3 games he comes off as slightly goofy, but diabolical, and in every game after 64(which aren't many), he's mostly harmless, but 64 makes him an evil mastermind Bond-villain.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Probably with Ganondorf. Unlike Ridley, he doesn't kill out of sadistic pleasure and does it for some sort of gain, but he definitely has a cruel streak as he has no qualms punishing his minions for failure, he beat poor DK when the latter couldn't fight back in DKC2, his plan in DKC is stated to involve him trying to starve the Kongs to death by stealing their bananas, and his plan in DK64 is just blowing up their island period.

Also, I really debate where Wolf should go as a villain. He has helped Fox out, which would put him in a similar position to Bowser. However, he's also helped Andross, who is an egomaniacal overlord bent on galactic domination and destruction, and the latter part is not pretty based on what we see in the games.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Probably with Ganondorf. Unlike Ridley, he doesn't kill out of sadistic pleasure and does it for some sort of gain, but he definitely has a cruel streak as he has no qualms punishing his minions for failure, one plan is stated to involve starving the Kongs to death by stealing their bananas, and another is just blowing up their island period.

Also, I really debate where Wolf should go as a villain. He has helped Fox out, which would put him in a similar position to Bowser. However, he's also helped Andross, who is an egomaniacal overlord bent on galactic domination and destruction, and the latter part is not pretty based on what we see in the games.
Wolf's a mercenary with a code of honor(Assault, kicked out Pigma for being a douche). Wolf's allegiances go wherever the money is, and his best interests.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
well

making a matrix of protagonist-antagonist and good-evil seemed like a good idea at the time

I underestimated the protagonist 'half' of the roster. Enter at your own risk,

Also my knowledge of some of these characters is poor, but I put too much time into this to give up

Zeox

Smash Champion
I haven't played Mother 1. Is it good?
eeehhh...
I recommend Earthbound and Mother 3 much more than Mother 1.
Is not a bad game but... it takes so long to level up and you have to farm exp so much, is also very easy to get lost.
I only recommend it for people that are already big fans of Mother.

Zeox

Smash Champion

Here is your completely psychotic antagonist that already is Ridley's pal because they both worked in the bad guys team in Brawl:

Porky_Minch.png

Staarih

Smash Master
The Smash Blog updated some more:

Today's Item
Black Hole
Pulls fighters and items into its powerful gravity field. If someone throws a Black Hole in your direction, you'd better keep your distance!

Today's Stage
Battlefield
This stage is sporting a redesigned look. With vast natural vistas forming a stunning backdrop behind floating platforms, this stage truly deserves its name!

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123

Both Marx and Porky from Mother would fit really well, especially the latter since it looks like Sakurai wants to give a little more attention to his franchise in Ultimate.
A psychotic villain terrorized into madness. I really said it many times, but it's such a cool concept!
And the one that said that it's mecha-spider is too big to fit into the game have been completely silenced; if Ridley can be in, Porky can be in the roster, too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I kind of like K. Rool's personality from the cartoon, where he's clearly a villain trying to take over the island, but still has standards.

Shroob

Sup?
Both Marx and Porky from Mother would fit really well, especially the latter since it looks like Sakurai wants to give a little more attention to his franchise in Ultimate.
A psychotic villain terrorized into madness. I really said it many times, but it's such a cool concept!
And the one that said that it's mecha-spider is too big to fit into the game have been completely silenced; if Ridley can be in, Porky can be in the roster, too.
I think there's a clear difference between Porky and Ridley.

Ridley has always been able to be shrunken down, mods have showed this several times over in the past.

I'm not sure just how you would fit all of Porky in as a playable character, considering he exists within a eight-legged spider-mech.

There are many, many questions like how grabbing would work, how he'd be able to BE grabbed, etc.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Smash Blog updated some more:

Today's Item
Black Hole
Pulls fighters and items into its powerful gravity field. If someone throws a Black Hole in your direction, you'd better keep your distance!

Today's Stage
Battlefield
This stage is sporting a redesigned look. With vast natural vistas forming a stunning backdrop behind floating platforms, this stage truly deserves its name!
Black Hole looks super fun. It was nice of Palutena to lend hers.

Also why Battlefield looks more and more gorgeus with each game?

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I think there's an actual difference between Porky and Ridley.

Ridley has always been able to be shrunken down, mods have showed this several times over in the past.

I'm not sure just how you would fit all of Porky in as a playable character, considering he exists within a eight-legged spider-mech.

There are many, many questions like how grabbing would work, how he'd be able to BE grabbed, etc.
Yeah, but also remember that Porky's mecha has been extremely enlarged back in Brawl.
Porky is as tall as Lucas and Ness, which are extremely short characters in Smash. The mecha isn't much bigger: I'd say it reaches Ganondorf in height and Bowser in width, so it would fit.
And if it does not, they can still implement him in his Mother 2 "organic mecha", which is even smaller.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think there's a clear difference between Porky and Ridley.

Porky mecha from earthbound have 6 legs, can grab someone with his front legs, use them for attacks, etc...

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So we're talking about King K now? Cool, let me throw my hat (or krown, in this case) into the ring.

If you're worried about his majesty not making the cut due to a lack of relevance, please keep in mind that similar characters have made appearences despite being extremely obscure in the past. The Ice Climbers and Pit stand out in particular, primarily thanks in part to their games being particularly unknown among fans worldwide, and Duck Hunt, despite having a single game without any sequels in the past few generations, made the cut with flying colors.

And besides, part of me thinks that the folks over at SORA have plans laid out for the big guy. I mean, if they didn't, then they wouldn't have given us this dandy set of threads:

Apply his ever-growing popularity, Ridley's inclusion, and the fighter ballot, and King K Rool's chances go from "irrelevant, so unlikely" to "for the sake of the fans." Time will be the ultimate deciding factor in this case, so stay aware.

Shroob

Sup?
Porky mecha from earthbound have 6 legs, can grab someone with his front legs, use them for attacks, etc...
I'm just not feeling it, frankly.

Honestly, his design is too bulky.

I feel the best way to implement Porky would to either use a completely original design, or the Porkybots, since both his mechas are just wayyy too clunky and obtuse. Even grabbing his Earthbound mech would look bizarre as hell.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
ULTIMATE optimistic papagenos Roster.png

So i found a really "clean" CSS layout for people who are interested in that sort of thing. I guess ignore the character choices (swap captain toad for decidueye or ashley out for chorus kids or whatever you like) cause i'm really more just liking the layout here and want to talk a bit about it.

So if you take the original 12 and use them as the whole top row and order everyone by number of appearance (something i think is likely given its been stressed this time around) you can make a really good 12x6 given about how many characters it looks like we'll get.

now echo fighters have the same "number" as their counter parts and I WAS thinking they'd get a separate spot on the roster because they did in smash4 AND because very briefly during our E3 trailer we saw lucina as a "square" when sakurai hypothetically was talking about how you'd unlock more and more characters (so even though it wasnt the CSS it was lucina in a "box" while talking about adding more characters to the CSS).

However if you remove all echos from the CSS (as in they'd share a spot with their counter part somehow, the way they share a number) and then add the "random" button right after bayonetta and before the newcomers for smash ultimate it does something kind of cool...

it ends up making Miis fall on one side and "random" fall on the other if you stagger the bottom row. i was really bothered when i was numbering everyone and Mii's were just sort of falling in a random spot in the middle of the roster layout. now if the bottom row has ten spots it staggers perfectly with the Mii's and "random" boxes and then if you add one more echo fighter (daisy and someone else) that means its 12 newcomers total, again a number that was stressed often during this E3, this was the first time we really heard the original 12 be acknowledged as such.

so no huge break through obviously anything can happen and past smash games and DLC seem to tell us that a clean CSS is an after thought at best with smash but I do like that the Mii's fall into place this way and the bottom row is ALL the newcomers and there'd be 12 of them. i'm aware this is likely absolutely nothing but i do enjoy a good CSS layout.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 149068

So i found a really "clean" CSS layout for people who are interested in that sort of thing. I guess ignore the character choices (swap captain toad for decidueye or ashley out for chorus kids or whatever you like) cause i'm really more just liking the layout here and want to talk a bit about it.

So if you take the original 12 and use them as the whole top row and order everyone by number of appearance (something i think is likely given its been stressed this time around) you can make a really good 12x6 given about how many characters it looks like we'll get.

now echo fighters have the same "number" as their counter parts and I WAS thinking they'd get a separate spot on the roster because they did in smash4 AND because very briefly during our E3 trailer we saw lucina as a "square" when sakurai hypothetically was talking about how you'd unlock more and more characters (so even though it wasnt the CSS it was lucina in a "box" while talking about adding more characters to the CSS).

However if you remove all echos from the CSS (as in they'd share a spot with their counter part somehow, the way they share a number) and then add the "random" button right after bayonetta and before the newcomers for smash ultimate it does something kind of cool...

it ends up making Miis fall on one side and "random" fall on the other if you stagger the bottom row. i was really bothered when i was numbering everyone and Mii's were just sort of falling in a random spot in the middle of the roster layout. now if the bottom row has ten spots it staggers perfectly with the Mii's and "random" boxes and then if you add one more echo fighter (daisy and someone else) that means its 12 newcomers total, again a number that was stressed often during this E3, this was the first time we really heard the original 12 be acknowledged as such.

so no huge break through obviously anything can happen and past smash games and DLC seem to tell us that a clean CSS is an after thought at best with smash but I do like that the Mii's fall into place this way and the bottom row is ALL the newcomers and there'd be 12 of them. i'm aware this is likely absolutely nothing but i do enjoy a good CSS layout.
As nice as it looks, it's pretty much confirmed that Echoes will get their own spot on the roster, so regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it is, they definitely need to go into their respective spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom