• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is the closest thing one can get to an evil Pokemon.

Plus he was the main antagonist of the first movie, so that helps.
lul; have you read some Pokemon pokedex entries? Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

Sounds evil to me.
Chandelure -
It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance.

Since when is burning spirits of things (eternal death) considerered neutral??????????

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
First Ridley
Then K.Rool
Then Shantae
Then Bandana Waddle Dee
And now Waluigi

It's always the chill fanbases that go bat**** insane.

Absolutely unacceptable. These people deserve public callouts from everyone.
Forgive me for asking but when has anything like this happened with Bandana Dee or Shantae? I've been out of the loop for a while on those fanbases

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Forgive me for asking but when has anything like this happened with Bandana Dee or Shantae? I've been out of the loop for a while on those fanbases
During the ballot season, they both got pretty bad.

Nowhere near as bad as this, mind you.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So, the 5 characters Discord thing - here's mine. I want to go into a bit more depth on each of my choices.

#5 - :ulticeclimbers: - The ICs are one of my long time favourites in this game, being my Brawl main and one of the two Melee characters I frequently play. I'm super stoked to see them return, but I also wonder whether I'm going to use them.

The reasoning lies in why I used them in the first place. No, not just for chaingrabs! I was a big fan of their ability to punish grab happy opponents, and that appears to be gone too. This is a disgustingly big nerf to the character, and probably enough that, if it isn't fixed, will keep me away from them. It is going to be too easy to grab Popo, throw him backwards and kill Nana.

If it's fixed though? Expect to see me using them very frequently again.

#4 - :ultganondorf: - Ganondorf wasn't one of the characters I expected to be super excited about in the new game. To be frank, I've always disliked Old Man Ganon, despite loving heavy characters in general.

Boy if his new design and moveset hasn't convinced me I was wrong though. He looks brutal to play as and I'm so happy to see the sword smash attacks. Sure, a little dark magic would be nice, but this finally looks like a true King of Evil.

#3 - :ultjigglypuff: - Puff is an old Melee favourite, though I still often play her for fun in Smash 4. Hopefully she's better; her trailer doesn't give us a lot of information.

#2 - :ultridley: - He's an alien space dragon pirate. Play Meta Ridley and he's a robot too. That makes him a conglomerate of nearly every trope that I ever thought was cool as a kid. Ridley was my #2 newcomer, and I love heavy characters. He probably won't be my main, but he will absolutely be one of my most played characters otherwise.

#1 -:ultrob: - I first ran into ROB in Mario Kart DS. I had no idea of his history or significance to Nintendo - and to me, he will probably always be the cool robot guy from MKDS. That's certainly how I recognised him when I saw him revealed for Brawl, a reveal which (so I gather) was a lot more polarising in general! I was stoked to see him, honestly, and he became my second most played character in Brawl. My main (ICs) was removed in the transition to Smash 4, and so this guy became my new one.

I'm a huge fan of the way this guy plays in 4. All the footage of him in Ultimate so far seems to suggest he'll be similar but better, with QoL improvements to his grab and in general to his range. On top of that, he has been given perhaps one of the single biggest individual buffs in a burying down throw. This is going to give him some very meaty punishes and relatively early guaranteed kills whilst not fundamentally changing the way he plays, and I could not be more excited. Almost definitely still my main.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Great, Sonic's here again, and I'm still not a fan. Any new dirt on him, Otacon?

Otacon: *staticy* ...Sna-...I...some-...inter-...

Snake: What the- Otacon, come in! What's going on?

???: Ohohoho... Don't worry about him, Snake, if you want information about Sonic, I'm just the guy.

Snake: Who are you? How did you get into this channel?

???: Who am I? Only the world's greatest genius, Dr. Ivo Robotnik! But you may call me Dr. Eggman.

Snake: Couldn't say I've heard of you before. Plus, the name Eggman is ridiculous, makes it seem like you're a giant talking egg.

Eggman: WHAT?! HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME! I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU DEFEAT SONIC!

Snake: More like trying to distract me from this fight. This call is over.

Eggman: W-WAIT, DON'T HANG UP, I-

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Great, Sonic's here again, and I'm still not a fan. Any new dirt on him, Otacon?

Otacon: *staticy* ...Sna-...I...some-...inter-...

Snake: What the- Otacon, come in! What's going on?

???: Ohohoho... Don't worry about him, Snake, if you want information about Sonic, I'm just the guy.

Snake: Who are you? How did you get into this channel?

???: Who am I? Only the world's greatest genius, Dr. Ivo Robotnik! But you may call me Dr. Eggman.

Snake: Couldn't say I've heard of you before. Plus, the name Eggman is ridiculous, makes it seem like you're a giant talking egg.

Eggman: WHAT?! HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME! I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU DEFEAT SONIC!

Snake: More like trying to distract me from this fight. This call is over.

Eggman: W-WAIT, DON'T HANG UP, I-
Goddammit this is too good and it won't happen but I need it

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Again with the size, can't we learn nothing about Ridley? size doesn't matters.
the reason why there are only 2 non-bipedal characters is because is hard to make them grab items, since they only have 4 legs and need them all to walk.
But with a spider mech with 6 legs? can use the ones from the middle to grab, or the ones from the front, or the crystal from the mech opens and Porky grabs the item.
While size may not matter; Sakurai stated it was an extremely difficult task making Ridley. So I am guessing proportions and size matter a great deal on weither or not a character is low / high priority. Ridley just had massive western fan-base that took years for Sakurai to put him in. (Think how long Ridley been requested....)

Iridium

Smash Hero

Guys, it looks like we will get more footage of SSBU! I am now hoping we do not see the same characters (specifically :ultinkling: & :ultridley:) played too much over the others.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
During the part of the Direct where they were showcasing the fighters, out of the 67 characters (Ridley wasn't revealed yet) all but 17 of them were shown:

05 - Yoshi
09 - Luigi
12 - Jigglypuff
13 - Peach
16 - Sheik
18 - Dr. Mario
24 - Mewtwo
25 - Roy
27 - Meta Knight
36 - Diddy Kong
41 - Lucario
43 - Toon Link
48 - Rosalina & Luma
50 - Greninja
58 - Bowser Jr.
59 - Duck Hunt
62 - Corrin

And Sheik, Mewtwo and Corrin were playable in the E3 build.

So that means out of the 68 playable characters, 14 of them are left completely in the dark...

And my boi is one of them

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
So, it's confirmed that Meta Knight will have a Galacta Knight costume.

I'm sorry for the people who don't know and keep hoping for him as an echo fighter.
Wonder if we'll get more echo deconfirmed with the next new costumes reveals.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
:ultyoshi::ultgreninja::ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight: - First three are my mains, Mega Man is just one of those characters I love playing, Meta-Knight holds a nice spot in my heart.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic never had shadow colours
I swore he did in Brawl or something to represent Shadow.

I'm guessing you mean the black palette? I never really thought of that as a Shadow palette swap due to no red but yes, he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mt53edFk4Q 5:03
Yes. That's what I meant. I thought it was obviously the closest they could get Sonic to him, and it always represented him.

Much like the red and white represents Jeanne for Bayonetta but doesn't really make her appear too much like her since in Bayo 2 Jeanne had long hair.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I swore he did in Brawl or something to represent Shadow.
He has this dark one but it's not referencing shadow, the cuffs are black instead of gold and the shoes are black instead of white, and there's no red on his body, he's also more grey than black too

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, it's confirmed that Meta Knight will have a Galacta Knight costume.

I'm sorry for the people who don't know and keep hoping for him as an echo fighter.
Wonder if we'll get more echo deconfirmed with the next new costumes reveals.
Wish that they at least made some actual model edits to the mask instead of just painting over it, can't possibly be too much work, at the moment it looks like an early fan mod.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Wish that they at least made some actual model edits to the mask instead of just painting over it, can't possibly be too much work, at the moment it looks like an early fan mod.

I didn't notice that for some reason until you pointed it out. Hope that changes before release.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Well, the game is still in development.
It'll surely look better in the final release.

D

Deleted member

Compromise idea:

Instead of Bandana Dee, we get Marx instead.

Marx's home stage becomes Great Cave Offensive, and DeDeDe's becomes Fountain of Dreams.
I fail to see how that would be a compromise.
Personally, I feel that's as far from a compromise as you could get.
But yeah, when it comes to a new Kirby character, I'm surprised that people bring up Bandana Dee soo much more than Marx.

Yeah, Bandana Dee is basically one of the Main 4 in the series now, but we're all kind of forgetting something.

Outside of Final Smashes, when it comes to Kirby, Sakurai is hella biased about what Kirby stuff gets in.

I mean, how many Kirby stages do we have in all the Smash games combined that take place after Superstar Saga?

Marx was basically Sakurai's big 'villian' for Kirby, and unlike Dark Matter, could very easily be made into a character. Hell, the last game had a playable Marx with correct proportions who still had his Nova-Powers attached.
Marx barely had any fan demand prior to his inclusion as a Dream Friend (I don't think we'd even be having this discussion if that didn't happen), while Bandana Dee has been one of the most requested characters on Smashboards for several years now.
Bandana Dee being brought up more shouldn't surprise you one bit. Marx supporters are just piggybacking the Sakurai bias argument because they're delusional.
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?
I might actually snap my laptop in half.
I've already made my stance on pandering to the core fanbase and stated that I'd rather have a mix of old and new characters, but this would be a special kind of a slap in the face.
I'm sick of all the Gen 1 pandering and I'd much rather see some of the newer Pokemon get their time in the sun. It's not even about Decidueye, I'm just sick of TPCi's desperate attempts at appealing to 30 year olds who haven't played Pokemon since they were ten and keep throwing fit because there's a Pokemon that's based on a chandelier while seemingly don't mind a ****ing pile of eggs with faces on them.
I also consider my playthrough(s) of the first generation games to be some of my worst expiriences ever and I'm not sure why it was considered passable, even by 90s standards.
We have six Gen 1 Pokemon out of nine. We shouldn't get more, especially not in the expense of a newer Pokemon.
As a Waluigi supporter, this saddens me.
Like, I get being displeased with your favorite character being disconfirmed right off the bat. I'd probably be super disappointed if Decidueye didn't make it in myself.
But this is getting out of control. They don't have to like it, but can't they see how much effort Sakurai put into this game? It's embarrasing, especially considering these are grown men. Sakurai is a human being, and he doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I might actually snap my laptop in half.
I've already made my stance on pandering to the core fanbase and stated that I'd rather have a mix of old and new characters, but this would be a special kind of a slap in the face.
I'm sick of all the Gen 1 pandering and I'd much rather see some of the newer Pokemon get their time in the sun. It's not even about Decidueye, I'm just sick of TPCi's desperate attempts at appealing to 30 year olds who haven't played Pokemon since they were ten and keep throwing fit because there's a Pokemon that's based on a chandelier while seemingly don't mind a ****ing pile of eggs with faces on them.
I also consider my playthrough(s) of the first generation games to be some of my worst expiriences ever and I'm not sure why it was considered passable, even by 90s standards.
We have six Gen 1 Pokemon out of nine. We shouldn't get more, especially not in the expense of a newer Pokemon.
This is pretty much my feeling. I am sick and tired of the Gen 1 pandering constantly thrown in our faces. Alolan forms, Rainbow Rocket, Go, Let's Go Eevee, the Kanto starters in Kalos... Gen 1 is so overdone that is gets really sickening. And as you said, Genwhunners whining about "EW an ICE CREAM CONE POKÉMON?? THIS IS GARBAGE" while they slobber in adoration in front of a pile of sludge, a ball and eggs is preposterous.

We're not even safe within the TCG (which I am an avid collector of), with the gen 1 mons like Eevee, Pikachu and other constantly getting a lot of attention and ultrarares while we didn't have a single card of Pokémon like Sunflora, Cofagrigus, Babimanta or Cryogonal for ''years''.

And it wasn't even the best gen, far from it. In fact, it is my second least favourite one after the 4th.

Come on, Pokémon Company, show some love to the other gens.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Also, a big problem with Team Rocket reps: They’d be repping the anime. Not the video games.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
QUESTION!

What music composers would you like to see in Smash Ultimate?

I personally hope they bring on some Bemani artists.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Just checked the site again. Today's stage and item have been added. Looks like everyday might have a fighter, stage and an item!

Today's Stage
Battlefield
This stage is sporting a redesigned look. With vast natural vistas forming a stunning backdrop behind floating platforms, this stage truly deserves its name!

Today's Item
Black Hole
Pulls fighters and items into its powerful gravity field. If someone throws a Black Hole in your direction, you'd better keep your distance!

D

Deleted member

lul; have you read some Pokemon pokedex entries? Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

Sounds evil to me.
Chandelure -
It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance.

Since when is burning spirits of things (eternal death) considerered neutral??????????

Chandelure is not evil.
You are.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445

Guys, it looks like we will get more footage of SSBU! I am now hoping we do not see the same characters (specifically :ultinkling: & :ultridley:) played too much over the others.
I'm still hoping Nintendo either A: release a Test online demo for switch players near release or B: a demo in stores like walmart , target , and game stop I mean I really wanna try inklings and megaman

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also, a big problem with Team Rocket reps: They’d be repping the anime. Not the video games.
I mean Team Rocket is present in certain regions of the games.

It's certainly true though that Jesse and James are the most iconic Team Rocket members though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
My personal five favourites out of the current list.

:ulttoonlink::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultmario::ultzelda:
Normally It's just the first four, but since they used my most favourite design for Zelda, I'm looking much more forward to play as her now, so she might become my eventual fifth fav.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Just checked the site again. Today's stage and item have been added. Looks like everyday might have a fighter, stage and an item!

Today's Stage
Battlefield
This stage is sporting a redesigned look. With vast natural vistas forming a stunning backdrop behind floating platforms, this stage truly deserves its name!
Headcanon: Brawl and Smash 4's Battlefields are in the background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom