• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can't believe that people are saying horrible things to Sakurai just because Waluigi didn't make it in. They are not helping their case.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
I'd go with :ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultbayonetta::ultkingdedede::ultjigglypuff:. Bayonetta is one of my favourite characters ever for which I had been rooting through the entire Sm4sh speculation persiod, Peach has been my smash main and Daisy my MK main since eons, Dedede is darn fun to play and Jiggs is just too cute.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can't believe that people are saying horrible things to Sakurai just because Waluigi didn't make it in. They are not helping their case.
Yeah, what they are doing is exactly what they should do if they DIDN'T want Waluigi. Ever.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What effort? he doesn't needs to be scaled down, he doesn't needs to change his looks, he totally doesn't needs to fix any grabs, he doesn't need any effort!
Only make up a moveset with the info from the game and the battle from brawl and that's it!
Getting a 3rd rep would be a great way to hype Mother 3 in case they decide to finally localize it, and Porky would be the perfect 3rd mother rep because is the antagonist for both Ness and Lucas AND the only character that connects Earthbound with Mother 3.
I think that Ninten is a much better third Mother rep anyways. He's much easier to create because you just need to take Ness, modify his appearance, and switch out his neutral special and Final Smash for attacks that actually existed in Mother 1, and you have a fighter. Porky would require a completely new moveset built from the ground up.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is pretty much my feeling. I am sick and tired of the Gen 1 pandering constantly thrown in our faces. Alolan forms, Rainbow Rocket, Go, Let's Go Eevee, the Kanto starters in Kalos... Gen 1 is so overdone that is gets really sickening. And as you said, Genwhunners whining about "EW an ICE CREAM CONE POKÉMON?? THIS IS GARBAGE" while they slobber in adoration in front of a pile of sludge, a ball and eggs is preposterous.

We're not even safe within the TCG (which I am an avid collector of), with the gen 1 mons like Eevee, Pikachu and other constantly getting a lot of attention and ultrarares while we didn't have a single card of Pokémon like Sunflora, Cofagrigus, Babimanta or Cryogonal for ''years''.

And it wasn't even the best gen, far from it. In fact, it is my second least favourite one after the 4th.

Come on, Pokémon Company, show some love to the other gens.
During the ballot season, they both got pretty bad.

Nowhere near as bad as this, mind you.
the messed up part is that
But I mean why though? Why are people doing this to game the is perfect so far?

I mean there haven't been any weird excuses or lost time or anything like that, what's the point in acting like this?

I'm not here to say who and who can't get into Smash but arguments for Waluigi compared to others are a little stale.

Ridely- Prominent figure in the franchise main villain

Rool- prominent figure in the franchise, main villain, got a Mii fighter costume

BWD- background character who became Kirby's Luigi.

Waluigi is a character that only has appeared in the sports titles and never in anything that even resembles a core title. If anything of him exists its someone cosplaying as him. Is this unfair given all the other plumbers have franchises? Yeah but that's a Nintendo thing not a Smash thing.

This is a meme a really bad one. I have hope that these people can turn around and make this a positive. And I think Waluigi is a character than can stand on his own in his own titles but noting RIGHT NOW really warrants him being something other than a trophy.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

Go at it
Okay, so...
:ultsonic: :ultroy::ultcloud::ultdaisy::ultsnake:

Something like that.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But I mean why though?

This is a meme a really bad one. I have hope that these people can turn around and make this a positive.
With the behavior of some Waluigi fans, I don't think that Waluigi will ever be playable.

D

Deleted member

Do people actually like Waluigi or is he “liked” just because if his meme status? I just don’t see his appeal at all..
I like him because he's funny, and I think a moveset based on his bizarre personality could be both hillarious and fun to use.
I used to find those memes funny until recently. Now I just find them stupid and obnoxious.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Do people actually like Waluigi or is he “liked” just because if his meme status? I just don’t see his appeal at all..
I think Waluigi's something of an acquired taste. I didn't like him when I was younger, but he's grown on me over the years.

...Mostly because of guys like Protonjon. XD

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just checked the site again. Today's stage and item have been added. Looks like everyday might have a fighter, stage and an item!

Today's Stage
Battlefield
This stage is sporting a redesigned look. With vast natural vistas forming a stunning backdrop behind floating platforms, this stage truly deserves its name!

Today's Item
Black Hole
Pulls fighters and items into its powerful gravity field. If someone throws a Black Hole in your direction, you'd better keep your distance!
Battlefield is looking so sexy as usual

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
He's enough of a blank state to get away with being hilariously absurd (e.g. air swimming). I think the love for him and the memes both stem from that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess the main ordeal is that Waluigi has been a recurring character in the Mario spin-off titles. However, he has absolutely no mainstream involvement whatsoever, and he wouldn't exactly work as anyone's echo fighter.

It should also be noted that Waluigi is more of a comic relief rival to the Mario Bros. than an actual villain.

D

Deleted member

I guess the main ordeal is that Waluigi has been a recurring character in the Mario spin-off titles. However, he has absolutely no mainstream involvement whatsoever, and he wouldn't exactly work as anyone's echo fighter.

It should also be noted that Waluigi is more of a comic relief rival to the Mario Bros. than an actual villain.
That is completely irrelevant to the question that was being asked

KMDP

Smash Legend
But is he on the level of Ridley and K. Rool in this fandom? Does he NEED to be in Smash :o
Waluigi certainly doesn't NEED to be in Smash. Then again nobody (except Nintendo's core brand characters) strictly needs to be in Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's a mixture of both. There are some who are in it for the memes only and don't particularly care for or play the character when given the chance.

There are others, like me, who find his odd quirks in the sports games charming and main him in games he is playable in. Those odd quirks sadly only intensify those who only enjoy him for his memes.

It's kind of a vicious double edged sword.

He's actually one of two sports spin-off characters that were created for them that have their own personality so that definitely helped him get his popularity as well. And most of Toadette's personality was developed once she started appearing outside of them, so he's the rare solo case of all his personality comes from within the spin-offs himself.

So long story short? Yes, some do enjoy him just for memes. Others have legitimate reasons for enjoying him.

Pakky

Smash Hero
But is he on the level of Ridley and K. Rool in this fandom? Does he NEED to be in Smash :o
No to be honest, not at this time.

You can make a solid argument for just about everyone in people's sigs but not for Waluigi.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like Ridley and K.Rool are on a class of their own as far as fan demand for Smash goes.

Although Waluigi feels like he's making his way up there after the whole E3 ordeal...
His fanbase need to sort themselves out though since posting threats and awful content directly to Sakurai's Twitter is just taking things too far.
I don't think even the Ridley and K.Rool fans have done things like that before (At least I would hope not..)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Probably late to this but I think we just saw Final Destination on the website.
I liked Waluigi unironically before the memes, although yes, his popularity skyrocketed ever since people memed him, there was a point in time where Waluigi was extremely unpopular and I was one of the odd ones out for liking the character.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gonna be honest I thought :ultpokemontrainer: coming back was a bad idea because i liked :4charizard: by himself.

However, now that all the weird red tape is gone I think this might be the better path, still miss Mega Chairzard X but Mewtwo is hold down that front which makes more sense seeing how it was the first Pokemon in the media to do so. There's also :ultlucario:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wonder if Spring Man will be the first DLC character announced after the game releases?
Probably a pre-order thing like :ultmewtwo:

Speaking of which I would buy another dank CD of all the music, I'll take four. Call into the night helps me sleep. Such a good song.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Go at it
:ultmewtwo::ultbayonetta::ultridley::ultinkling::ultwolf:
Bandwagon a gogo.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So, it's confirmed that Meta Knight will have a Galacta Knight costume.

I'm sorry for the people who don't know and keep hoping for him as an echo fighter.
Wonder if we'll get more echo deconfirmed with the next new costumes reveals.
Ok am I crazy or is this picture new? I just found it on Metaknight's page after you posted it and it's just like...I really don't remember it being there lol. Everyone was initially pointing to the "About" section to find the Galactica Knight costume so I assumed that's the only place it showed. Didn't realize there was a full clear picture of the costume on his page lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For me, I liked Waluigi for ages, including since his first appearance. It wasn't the memes so much as the personality he showed off. With the cheating, things like crotch chops, etc. I loved it. He feels nice and unique. :)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
At this rate Waluigi might never be playable in Smash (don’t think fans of :ultridley:ever went this far)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
One good thing about the Galacta Knight Skin is it means we're propably also getting the Scar and silver Sword on the Dark Meta Knight one.

Talking Porky's Size. crude shop. Using brawl design, Porky edited to fill the mech more, then resize so porky are about same size as ness.
I think with access to actual modeling it probably wouldn't be too hard to make it work.
1529416707867.png

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think that Ninten is a much better third Mother rep anyways. He's much easier to create because you just need to take Ness, modify his appearance, and switch out his neutral special and Final Smash for attacks that actually existed in Mother 1, and you have a fighter. Porky would require a completely new moveset built from the ground up.
And that's why I rather have Porky than Ninten.
descarga.jpg

Because having Ness without bagpack and with the cap looking at the opposite side is not an interesting character.
If they want to add a Mother 1 rep I rather have Giegue, he reminds me of mewtwo but is different enough to be his own character AND have his own moveset.

Zeox

Smash Champion
One good thing about the Galacta Knight Skin is it means we're propably also getting the Scar and silver Sword on the Dark Meta Knight one.

Talking Porky's Size. crude shop. Using brawl design, Porky edited to fill the mech more, then resize so porky are about same size as ness.
I think with access to actual modeling it probably wouldn't be too hard to make it work.
View attachment 149090
Porky's model from brawl is in the source filmmaker workshop, you can pose the model in any way:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom