• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
As nice as it looks, it's pretty much confirmed that Echoes will get their own spot on the roster, so regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it is, they definitely need to go into their respective spots.
i'm in complete agreement I just figured i'd share it.

DLC also almost certainly being a thing kind of diminshes the importance of a clean CSS layout for the base roster as well.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm just not feeling it, frankly.

Honestly, his design is too bulky.

I feel the best way to implement Porky would to either use a completely original design, or the Porkybots, since both his mechas are just wayyy too clunky and obtuse. Even grabbing his Earthbound mech would look bizarre as hell.
I dunno why you feel that way, just look at Bowser Jr., he is in a flying koopa clown that doesn't even fly, and grab enemies with this claw that is not even canon:
5fa4ec42c5d55d08afe01eeece52c6b61e190671_hq.jpg

Now Look at Kirby and Jigglypuff, how the hell do they grab anything if they have super short arms with not a single finger?
Now let me compare the size sprites of Ness and Porky in his mech spider from earthbound
porkyness.png

Remember that Ness and Lucas are very small characters in smash, slightly bigger than Kirby.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno why you feel that way, just look at Bowser Jr., he is in a flying koopa clown that doesn't even fly, and grab enemies with this claw that is not even canon:
View attachment 149070

Now Look at Kirby and Jigglypuff, how the hell do they grab anything if they have super short arms with not a single finger?
Now let me compare the size sprites of Ness and Porky in his mech spider from earthbound
View attachment 149072

Remember that Ness and Lucas are very small characters in smash, slightly bigger than Kirby.
To put it simply, Porky basically has to stay the same size as Ness, or else he'd be hilariously too small in this case, but at the same time, to scale Porky to that size, you'd have to compromise. Bowser Jr. works because he's to scale of how big Bowser Jr. should be. Porky has to be to scale with Ness.

When you imagine Porky, you more than likely are thinking of his mech when you actually fight Giygas, which frankly would not work, since to keep Porky up to scale, he'd HAVE to be, by far, the biggest Smash character in the game.

Now, if you shrink the mech to actually look like that sprite, small, dinky legs and all and making it more of a glorified hovering chair, then that'd work, but when people are thinking Porky, I don't believe that's what they want(And even then, Snake's grab will clip through the glass and look hella weird).

And just saying it, his Mother 3 design has no way in hell of being playable, for all the reasons above.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To put it simply, Porky basically has to stay the same size as Ness, or else he'd be hilariously too small in this case, but at the same time, to scale Porky to that size, you'd have to compromise. Bowser Jr. works because he's to scale of how big Bowser Jr. should be. Porky has to be to scale with Ness.

When you imagine Porky, you more than likely are thinking of his mech when you actually fight Giygas, which frankly would not work, since to keep Porky up to scale, he'd HAVE to be, by far, the biggest Smash character in the game.

Now, if you shrink the mech to actually look like that sprite, small, dinky legs and all and making it more of a glorified hovering chair, then that'd work, but when people are thinking Porky, I don't believe that's what they want(And even then, Snake's grab will clip through the glass and look hella weird).

And just saying it, his Mother 3 design has no way in hell of being playable.
I feel like you're underestimating just how small ness is, he's one of the smallest characters in the game. Having porky presumably sitting down in his mech probably wouldn't even come close to bowser's size anyway

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like you're underestimating just how small ness is, he's one of the smallest characters in the game. Having porky presumably sitting down in his mech probably wouldn't even come close to bowser's size anyway
Depends on how big you want the mech, frankly.

The biggest problem I see is how unruly in shape it is.

If it's the sprite version as seen above, it's fine.

But if it's the actual battle sprite with long, spindly legs, it's just too wide and awkward.

The only non-bipedal character we have in this game is Ivysaur, and Ivysaur is also very small all things considered, I can't imagine what would happen if Ivysaur were say, Venusaur, it'd look REALLY weird in a lot of situations.

Zeox

Smash Champion

And just saying it, his Mother 3 design has no way in hell of being playable, for all the reasons above.
This would be the size of Porky:
SffUy5C.png
(Made by Dalek_Kolt)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Depends on how big you want the mech, frankly.

The biggest problem I see is how unruly in shape it is.

If it's the sprite version as seen above, it's fine.

But if it's the actual battle sprite with long, spindly legs, it's just too wide and awkward.

The only non-bipedal character we have in this game is Ivysaur, and Ivysaur is also very small all things considered, I can't imagine what would happen if Ivysaur were say, Venusaur, it'd look REALLY weird in a lot of situations.
Duck Hunt is quadrupedal outside of using shooting items like the super scope.

Shroob

Sup?
This would be the size of Porky:
View attachment 149077(Made by Dalek_Kolt)
It's doable, though aesthetically, I find it would look very awkward in a lot of situations. There's probably a good reason why we only have 2 non-bipedal characters in the game(Ivysaur and Duck Hunt), and both are on the small side.

Duck Hunt is quadrupedal outside of using shooting items like the super scope.
Completely forgot about Duck Hunt, but my point still stands that quadrupeds in Smash are all small-ish characters.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
It's doable, though aesthetically, I find it would look very awkward in a lot of situations. There's probably a good reason why we only have 2 non-bipedal characters in the game(Ivysaur and Duck Hunt), and both are on the small side.
Again with the size, can't we learn nothing about Ridley? size doesn't matters.
the reason why there are only 2 non-bipedal characters is because is hard to make them grab items, since they only have 4 legs and need them all to walk.
But with a spider mech with 6 legs? can use the ones from the middle to grab, or the ones from the front, or the crystal from the mech opens and Porky grabs the item.

Shroob

Sup?
the reason why there are only 2 non-bipedal characters is because is hard to make them grab items, since they only have 4 legs and need them all to walk.
But with a spider mech with 6 legs? can use the ones from the middle to grab, or the ones from the front, or the crystal from the mech opens and Porky grabs the item.
Ridley actually has a vaguely human shape. You can shrink down something with a basic human structure and it will work to a point. A mech big enough to hold a child is a separate issue entirely. Ridley has been shown to be able to be shrunk for years now, I've yet to see what a shrunk Porky would look like in game to change my mind on this.

And again, most of my issues are aesthetic.

Like, grabbing the mech with characters like Snake will look VERY weird, considering his arm will more likely than not clip through the glass window, or most characters who will just grab the front of it without actually grabbing ahold.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Completely forgot about Duck Hunt, but my point still stands that quadrupeds in Smash are all small-ish characters.
It's still doable imo, I think the bigger issues with quadrupeds is having them use items and stuff without looking weird as hell, Ivysaur circumvents this by having it's vines and porky would do a similar thing by having 6 legs.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So, not to poke the hornet's nest, but...

Has "He who will not be named" posted any reaction anywhere to Daisy's inclusion and her status as an echo fighter? You know the fella I'm talking about.

I'm genuinely curious what his stance on this is, haha.
Maybe not "that person" in particular, but I did find a post from someone on the Smash Bros. Facebook page who's post very much sounded like something "he" would say; something about being Daisy's husband.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So we're just downscaling Porky like we did with Ridley? We know he's larger than Ness but now he's gonna be a little micro-person so that we can make his mech less cumbersome? Not buying it, sorry.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Ridley actually has a vaguely human shape. You can shrink down something with a basic human structure and it will work to a point. A mech big enough to hold a child is a separate issue entirely. Ridley has been shown to be able to be shrunk for years now, I've yet to see what a shrunk Porky would look like in game to change my mind on this.

Like, grabbing the mech with characters like Snake will look VERY weird, considering his arm will more likely than not clip through the glass window, or most characters who will just grab the front of it without actually grabbing ahold.
But you don't need to shrink it down because in the canon the mech is not even that big! they just made it extremely big for brawl!
And about snake's grab that's easy, like I said, the glass could open for some attacks or movesets.
But most important, grabbing has been weird since the second they let Jigglypuff and Kirby grab stuff without actual fingers.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Snake already looks very weird grabbing bowser as it is, in brawl snake's whole body basically just clipped into him, I don't see why it would be a big deal with porky

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So we're just downscaling Porky like we did with Ridley? We know he's larger than Ness but now he's gonna be a little micro-person so that we can make his mech less cumbersome? Not buying it, sorry.
I'm not, I never said that, what are you talking about, Porky doesn't needs to be scaled down, his mech doesn't even need to be scaled down, I said that size doesn't matters.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just going to have to agree to disagree on this discussion.

While I love Mother, I don't really see the franchise getting a 3rd rep anyway, especially not Porky. If Sakurai had to basically give in to fan demand to make Ridley work, I'm not buying he'd put THAT much effort into Porky.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ness is barely bigger than kirby, Porky can be the same height in his mech and still be smaller than bowser

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm just going to have to agree to disagree on this discussion.

While I love Mother, I don't really see the franchise getting a 3rd rep anyway, especially not Porky. If Sakurai had to basically give in to fan demand to make Ridley work, I'm not buying he'd put THAT much effort into Porky.
What effort? he doesn't needs to be scaled down, he doesn't needs to change his looks, he totally doesn't needs to fix any grabs, he doesn't need any effort!
Only make up a moveset with the info from the game and the battle from brawl and that's it!
Getting a 3rd rep would be a great way to hype Mother 3 in case they decide to finally localize it, and Porky would be the perfect 3rd mother rep because is the antagonist for both Ness and Lucas AND the only character that connects Earthbound with Mother 3.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I'm not, I never said that, what are you talking about, Porky doesn't needs to be scaled down, his mech doesn't even need to be scaled down, I said that size doesn't matters.
My bad. Think I clicked the wrong post

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed something, the smash blog only posts on Tues, Wrd, Thurs. If they continue this pattern we can see everyone we know as of now blogged all up until Nov 21st. That leaves about 6-7 more characters left to be blogged up until Thurs Dec 6th. (Depends of they go over Mii Fighters independently).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just noticed something, the smash blog only posts on Tues, Wrd, Thurs. If they continue this pattern we can see everyone we know as of now blogged all up until Nov 21st. That leaves about 6-7 more characters left to be blogged up until Thurs Dec 6th. (Depends of they go over Mii Fighters independently).
Pretty sure they posted on Friday once too?

But yeah, it's kind of odd how they don't have a very clear schedule. I think we got something on the US Saturday for the JP version, though that was more for notes on the Smash Ultimate tourney going on.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I hope that we will be able to save profile data to an amiibo figure, or even an amiibo card.

If you use custom controls in Smash for Wii U, you have to create a new profile whenever you play on a new Wii U system. It would be very handy if there were a way to save your profile externally so you could apply it instantly just by tapping a card or figure against your controller.

It seems like the kind of problem that amiibo were built to rectify, so I hope Smash Ultimate takes advantage of the opportunity that Smash 4 missed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeish. I like Waluigi of course. But people who are going crazy over it are the problem, not "fans" in general. Just remember, every fanbase has specific toxic members. But remember that those people who do this are the issue, not the fanbase in general.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Waluigi is easily one of my fav Mario characters, but it is not that serious guys. If you feel the need to spew hatred at a man who has given us 65 characters in one game and continues to work to deliver us more over one character not getting in? Please re-think yourself because it's a game at the end of the day and not that serious.

And again might I suggest you try out any of the 65 other characters announced thus far?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Waluigi is easily one of my fav Mario characters, but it is not that serious guys. If you feel the need to spew hatred at a man who has given us 65 characters in one game and continues to work to deliver us more over one character not getting in? Please re-think yourself because it's a game at the end of the day and not that serious.

And again might I suggest you try out any of the 65 other characters announced thus far?
fr, this man works so damn hard just for the fans and his own love of the game. We're getting every veteran in the series history back with newcomers and extra fanservicey clones as well. We're getting completely redone versions of almost all, if not all, past stages as well as new stages. He could have easily said **** it and just ported smash 4 but he's going out of his way to make this game special.

It's fine to be upset or mad if your most wanted character doesn't get in but to personally attack and harass this man is disgusting.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So anyone know what this stage is?
ss_2.jpg
0z3rfTj.jpg

lr4PIpV.jpg

I've seen others say Final Destination. But I don't think it is. Background objects would likely get in the way of the Master Hand fight.

To me, it's like a mixture of the Twilight Realm and Metroid.

Also not 100% sure the Fox and Ice Climbers pic is the same stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom