• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Everyone's going "Simon Simon Simon" because of the leak, I don't think anybody would've acknowledged his existence if he wasn't mentioned. :chuckle: Shadow or any Sonic character is easily a demandable second third party for SEGA. I wouldn't count on only Simon for a """leak""", but it's fun to think about what could possibly be.

Actually, I've been talking about Simon being in this game well before the leak: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-733#post-21985871 (This is the oldest one I can find, and there's definitely some stupid predictions on here, I lost faith in Takamaru and Funky Kong a long time ago.)

I definitely acknowledged his existence. Simon Belmont is one of the most iconic video game characters and Castlevania one of the most iconic video games. Especially on Nintendo. So it makes total sense.

But, I'm definitely with you on the other point. I think it's hilarious that the same people who thought the idea was silly are now acting like it made sense all along.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Does anyone think there’s a chance that we could receive 2 newcomers from a franchise in the base game (besides Metroid since Ridley was already announced)?
I think either Donkey Kong (Dixie and K. Rool) or Zelda (Zelda newcomer and Impa as an Echo of Shiek) are the most likely.
Even then, I doubt they'll dedicate two newcomers to a single series for the base game since they are not making as many newcomers as usual.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hype Lists? Hype Lists.

Main Three Tier: :ultmarth::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo:
My Other Favorites: :ultmario::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucina::ulticeclimbers::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultrob:
Casual Interest: :ultkingdedede::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultzelda::ultsnake::ultrosalina::ultrobin:ultmegaman::ultpalutena::ultduckhunt::ultlucario::ultridley::ultinkling:
Neutral: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultike::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ulttoonlink:
Ehh: :ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultdaisy::ultsonic:
EHHHH: :ultdoc::ultsheik::ultzss::ultyounglink:
Main Three Tier: :ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultroy:

My Other Favourites: :ultzelda::ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultlink::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultness::ultpichu::ultryu::ultsnake::ultyounglink:

Casual Interest: :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultlink::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrob::ultrobin

Neutral: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrosalina::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultyoshi:

Ehh: :ultzss::ultjigglypuff::ultolimar::ultsamus::ultshulk:

EHHHH: :ultwiifittrainer:

Does anyone think there’s a chance that we could receive 2 newcomers from a franchise in the base game (besides Metroid since Ridley was already announced)?
Nah, I don't think so. Sakurai would want to cover his bases as much as possible in terms of getting in popular characters so I don't think any franchise is going to get a second character as a result.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ashley also fits a lot of popular newcomer wants and speculatives in terms of trailer partners.

You can partner her with Mimikyu.
You can partner her with Shadow.
You can partner her with Geno.

She really does make a good reveal partner for anyone with a magic/fantasy element or a dark supernatural element.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Rabbis have done way better as a franchise these days, more specifically.
As I am Jewish, I fully support the inclusion of Rabbis in Smash Ultimate. I wanna see a Synagogue stage that's similar to Temple, plus an Assist Trophy of Moses parting the Red Sea. If Ridley was able to fit in, then this shouldn't be too much to ask for, right?
:troll:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As I am Jewish, I fully support the inclusion of Rabbis in Smash Ultimate. I wanna see a Synagogue stage that's similar to Temple, plus an Assist Trophy of Moses parting the Red Sea. If Ridley was able to fit in, then this shouldn't be too much to ask for, right?
:troll:
It took me a moment to realize the typo and I was just like ''What is this ****poster on about? Jesus."

Then I saw it and I laughed.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Ashley also fits a lot of popular newcomer wants and speculatives in terms of trailer partners.

She really does make a good reveal partner for anyone with a magic/fantasy element or a dark supernatural element.
I would actually scream like a lunatic if they revealed Ashley and Mimkyu together.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This matters because, why? Also, the keyword here is "in Japan".
It's been stated that Ridley was included due to huge Western support, so why wouldn't they include a huge character in the home of the series. I don't even want Ashley, but her chances are looking good right now.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

In my dreams she gets partnered with Lip for a little yin/yang light and darkness motif.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Actually pair her with Mimikyu.

They both just want friends.

And both could be misunderstood because of her being a witch and it being a ghastly thing that kills you if you look under it's disguise.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hey Guys Do you think that Either Naruto or Shinobi be in SSBU.
Note:There Both Ninjas
Um. No. One's a manga character and the other is a Sega icon.

I'd be open to non video game originating characters being DLC, but I'd be pretty upset if they were in the base game. And I've never been upset by any character inclusion in Super Smash Bros before. I have more faith in Sakurai than that.

Same applies for Geno. I'd be upset if he was in the base game, but I'm totally cool with him being DLC. I mean, he'd probably be coolest as an Assist Trophy, which is infinitely more fitting.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I’m surprised not a lot of people mention it but not every character has to be revealed in direct.

What about those newcomer livestreams? Where they livestream the character reveal video, similar to what they did with Robin/Lucina’s reveal.

This way some newcomers can have some time to shine on their own like Elma. And we can get in depth character showcases for these newcomers, and get ones on months that don’t have directs.
Thank you. This. This is why I believe we’ll get a newcomer every month until release, and possibly 2 if there is a blow-out Smash specific Direct before release, which I’m sure there will be!

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Actually, I've been talking about Simon being in this game well before the leak: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-733#post-21985871 (This is the oldest one I can find, and there's definitely some stupid predictions on here, I lost faith in Takamaru and Funky Kong a long time ago.)

I definitely acknowledged his existence. Simon Belmont is one of the most iconic video game characters and Castlevania one of the most iconic video games. Especially on Nintendo. So it makes total sense.

But, I'm definitely with you on the other point. I think it's hilarious that the same people who thought the idea was silly are now acting like it made sense all along.
Simon definitely was a popular pick, and he had shown up in plenty of prediction threads. He fits all the fan criteria for a character- iconic, associated with Nintendo, etc, but didn't appear as much as other characters because the series has been somewhat dormant.

That said, it is true that we're seeing a lot more people predicting Simon thanks to the rumors.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's been stated that Ridley was included due to huge Western support, so why wouldn't they include a huge character in the home of the series. I don't even want Ashley, but her chances are looking good right now.
Ridley is a central and major character to the Metroid series and infinitely more popular/iconic than Ashley. Ashley is not a major character of the WarioWare series. She's a mini game host just like everyone else.

Just because Ridley is in, doesn't mean Super Smash Bros Ultimate is just an open border for requested characters, otherwise Waluigi would probably be playable.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ashley's sheer popularity kinda makes her as major to sell a WarioWare title in Japan as Wario himself.

I can't imagine what would happen if she got cut from a future WarioWare title when it comes to Japanese fans.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What was that one quote from Sakurai? "Just because a character tries hard, doesn't mean they make the cut,"?

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I Think the Newcomers People Want are:

Ashley.

Rayman.

Tails.

Naruto.

King K Rool.

Shadow Mario.

Steve(Minecraft).

Decidueye.

Dragonborn.

Bomberman(Already Confirmed as a Assist Trophy).

Skull Kid.

Isaac.

Excitebiker.(That can Get OFF His Bike or On).

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Geno.

Inklings(Already Confirmed).

Mr Clippy From Microsoft.(Just Kidding)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If I could pick Ashley's play style it would be a DoTer (damage over time) Olimar is the closest to that play style.
I'd love to just throw curses and hexes at people and just jump around watching the damage percentage tic upwards on ppl.

Zereza

Smash Rookie
Ughhh I’m just too excited for this game in general. I’ve been watching reactions to the direct since Wednesday lmao.

That being said, I’m expecting a good amount of Echo Fighters and I’m perfectly fine with that.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I still think that people are blowing the whole “Echo Fighter” thing way out of proportion. I don’t necessarily think Sakurai is planning to add a bunch of model swaps to the roster, he just wanted to sell/placate fans who weren’t happy with Dark Pit and Lucina by making it clear they were a separate class from the main group. Daisy was just an added bonus towards her rabid fanbase

I guess we don’t have a ton of concrete info to play with outside of that though, so it makes sense. It’s just tiring to see echo speculation at every corner.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay. Now you're definitely overestimating her.
Nah. It's true. You're underselling her really.

She's the only one people talk about really in such a huge manner in that country outside of Wario himself.

You could probably remove Mona or Jimmy T or 9 Volt, etc, etc. and only get a few questions and confused looks.

But Ashley would raise a LOT of questions removing her from WarioWare.

It'd be like if the next Animal Crossing removed Isabelle.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Okay. Now you're definitely overestimating her.
No, you are understimating her. Just because you don't think a character is popular doesn't mean they aren't actually popular and vice versa.

It's Decidueye's thing all over again.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
If Link gets Three Clones,Marth Gets Three Clones,Fox gets three clones,then Raichu Must Be in It As a Echo Fighter.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I Wonder How Long is this Thread Going to Last anyway.

This is Very Interesting i hope it last Until 12/7/2018

HEY Wait a Minute We Could Get Shinobi from Sega Instead of Rayman
This specific thread might not last (I think there's a physical limit) but tthe "speculation" group/thread will definitely last. I've been here since 2013 I think, and there are people who were chatting about Sm4sh way before me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Naaaaaaaaaaaah I don't like that tbh

Don't find it very fair if four can play as Jr. while not even two can play as Larry.
I don't see the issue. Is this a common occurrence? Too many people want to play as Bowser Jr and can't settle for one of the many awesome Koopalings? Is that really going to be a frequent issue, if ever?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah.

Decidueye is someone who is overestimated in this fanbase.

At least 60 percent of his attributed popularity comes from people rounding up from Rowlet.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nah. It's true. You're underselling her really.

She's the only one people talk about really in such a huge manner in that country outside of Wario himself.

You could probably remove Mona or Jimmy T or 9 Volt, etc, etc. and only get a few questions and confused looks.

But Ashley would raise a LOT of questions removing her from WarioWare.

It'd be like if the next Animal Crossing removed Isabelle.
No, you are understimating her. Just because you don't think a character is popular doesn't mean they aren't actually popular and vice versa.

It's Decidueye's thing all over again.
You literally compared her to Wario.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't see the issue. Is this a common occurrence? Too many people want to play as Bowser Jr and can't settle for one of the many awesome Koopalings? Is that really going to be a frequent issue, if ever?
It may have to do with me personally, as me and all of my siblings like Lemmy the best of all the Koopalings, and we're playing rock-paper-scissors or some **** to see who can play as him.

I can see how it'd be pointless to some but personally I want em to have an equal amount of alts.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I Think the Newcomers People Want are:

Ashley.

Rayman.

Tails.

Naruto.

King K Rool.

Shadow Mario.

Steve(Minecraft).

Decidueye.

Dragonborn.

Bomberman(Already Confirmed as a Assist Trophy).

Skull Kid.

Isaac.

Excitebiker.(That can Get OFF His Bike or On).

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Geno.

Inklings(Already Confirmed).

Mr Clippy From Microsoft.(Just Kidding)
Uhm ... Naruto? That's even worse than Goku.
I think you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself if you think so.
I've never heard anyone wanting Naruto, without also wanting Shrek, Spongebob and Goku. So, I don't think that would be quite accurate, dude.
I hope you meant that as a joke.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Everyone's going "Simon Simon Simon" because of the leak, I don't think anybody would've acknowledged his existence if he wasn't mentioned. :chuckle: Shadow or any Sonic character is easily a demandable second third party for SEGA. I wouldn't count on only Simon for a """leak""", but it's fun to think about what could possibly be.

Isn't Bayo partially owned by Sega?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In mathematics an arbitrarily small positive quantity is commonly denoted ε.

Maybe that's why Epsilon symbol is used for echoes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I compared her to Wario in terms of the WarioWare series.

Not to Nintendo as a whole.

Because in the WarioWare series? She is the biggest star that is needed to capture Japanese fans attention. She's the only host you absolutely have to bring back to get them to buy the latest WarioWare game.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I compared her to Wario in terms of the WarioWare series.

Not to Nintendo as a whole.

Because in the WarioWare series? She is the biggest star that is needed to capture Japanese fans attention. She's the only host you absolutely have to bring back to get them to buy the latest WarioWare game.
It's gotten to the point where if you did a popularity poll for WarioWare characters you'd have to exclude Ashley for it to even be an interesting discussion.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Link gets Three Clones,Marth Gets Three Clones,Fox gets three clones,then Raichu Must Be in It As a Echo Fighter.
Alolan Raichu is already a Pokemon.

And Bayonetta the character, as well as Bayonetta 1 and IP, are owned by Sega. Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom