• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Everyone here askin for Ashley meanwhile my dumb*** is sittin here waiting for my girl Captain Syrup.

I'm glad Wario has his shoulder dash in Ultimate but Wario Land still has a LOT of things that could work amazingly for Smash.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It may have to do with me personally, as me and all of my siblings like Lemmy the best of all the Koopalings, and we're playing rock-paper-scissors or some **** to see who can play as him.

I can see how it'd be pointless to some but personally I want em to have an equal amount of alts.
You want 64 costumes? I thought the reason they chose the Koopalings is because there's conveniently 7 of them. Which is cool.

Last edited:

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I Wonder Why Madden Players are Not in Smash Even though they have Appeared many Sport Games on Nintendo Consoles

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The more I sit on it, the more I'm okay with Dark Samus being bumped up to playable.

What I'm not okay with is how the roster will look if Samus gets an echo, ****ing up how the rows are done. Seeing an echo in the original 12 will just look really ****ing awkward.

Please Mashed Potatoes, let us sort by series.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Everyone here askin for Ashley meanwhile my dumb*** is sittin here waiting for my girl Captain Syrup.

I'm glad Wario has his shoulder dash in Ultimate but Wario Land still has a LOT of things that could work amazingly for Smash.
I was so confused after reading this, then I decided to check out Wario's video on the site since he's one of few I some reason haven't watched yet.

YES!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I Think the Newcomers People Want are:

Ashley.

Rayman.

Tails.

Naruto.

King K Rool.

Shadow Mario.

Steve(Minecraft).

Decidueye.

Dragonborn.

Bomberman(Already Confirmed as a Assist Trophy).

Skull Kid.

Isaac.

Excitebiker.(That can Get OFF His Bike or On).

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Geno.

Inklings(Already Confirmed).

Mr Clippy From Microsoft.(Just Kidding)

In my opinion, the top 10 "wanted newcomers" (Just the ones I see all the time) looks like this:

Rayman

King K Rool

Banjo

Crash Bandicoot

Ridley - Confirmed

Inklings - Confirmed

Bomberman - AT

Sora

Ashley

Geno

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On the topic of Ashley's popularity, I don't remember Wario ever being used to help promote a game that he doesn't appear in.

As far as WarioWare goes, Ashley is easily the most popular. It's literally not even a contest.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm definitely really hoping we'll at least have the option to sort the character select screen by series.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ashley would be a cool newcomer.
If they announced her, it would obviously be an atrocity if they did not use her theme song in said trailer, and the game would be unplayable if Sakurai didn't include her theme song in her reveal, so the real question is:
Ashley's japanese song or her english song for her US announcement?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I Wonder Why Madden Players are Not in Smash Even though they have Appeared many Sport Games on Nintendo Consoles
Are you an AI sent here to test us or something? The amount of posts you make and the logic contained within them is astounding.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I believe Porky will be in the game and he would be more than a trophy, now, even if I would like him to be playable, I think the more probable is that he will be a boss or a stage hazard, but I believe he will be in someway, mostly because New Pork City is back:
newpork.png

newpork2.png
In Brawl, even people that didn't played Mother or Earthbound knew who was Porky because he was 2 bosses, but without that, people would look at this stage and be extremely confused and would wonder who is this porky, why he have his own map with his face and name everywhere, a big statue of him parodying the statue of liberty and his own theme.
So at least I expect a stage hazard of him.

Shroob

Sup?
If they announced her, it would obviously be an atrocity if they did not use her theme song in said trailer, and the game would be unplayable if Sakurai didn't include her theme song in her reveal, so the real question is:
JP fits her better, ENG sounds like it's wayyy too old of a girl to be coming out of Ashley's mouth.

That, or the original one from WarioWare Touched.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The more I sit on it, the more I'm okay with Dark Samus being bumped up to playable.

What I'm not okay with is how the roster will look if Samus gets an echo, ****ing up how the rows are done. Seeing an echo in the original 12 will just look really ****ing awkward.

Please Mashed Potatoes, let us sort by series.
What if Sakurai lets us toggle the roster screen and organize how we want?

Playcube

Smash Cadet
If Madden Players are In then the Fox Robot from NfL Should be a Assist Trophy

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Are you an AI sent here to test us or something? The amount of posts you make and the logic contained within them is astounding.
Calm down, they're 14. Let's not insult people and stay on topic.

That said, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Ashley in... I was just extremely unaware of the Wario Ware series' popularity. Is it really that big of a franchise?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
It's been awhile since I've looked at vanilla Smash Wii U's US music list but if I am remembering correctly in how they kept the JP version from playing in the US game (unless you mod), I'm gonna go with English.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

That said, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Ashley in... I was just extremely unaware of the Wario Ware series' popularity. Is it really that big of a franchise?
I think it's way bigger in Japan.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I never really understood the too big argument looking back on it. I mean, Shulk is 5'6" but you see him towering over Little Mac who's an inch taller than him. Truly, the argument never stood the test of time. :4pacman:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lately I've really been seeing Ashley as a likely candidate, her absence as an Assist Trophy is nowhere near a confirmation but such a popular character like her being absent seems like an intentional move. Her overwhelming popularity and marketability in Japan continues to surprise me, I'd say she's one of the most likely newcomers at this rate.

I believe Porky will be in the game and he would be more than a trophy, now, even if I would like him to be playable, I think the more probable is that he will be a boss or a stage hazard, but I believe he will be in someway, mostly because New Pork City is back:
I don't think a stage return means much in regards to anyone's inclusion since, from the looks of it, most if not all of the stages in the series will be making a return. However I've been considering Porky's chances a bit today, how Ridley was promoted from boss to playable and Sakurai may have been able to think up a cool moveset for Porky too. I doubt it, but you never know. Personally I'd love it, Porky's one of my dream characters.

Shroob

Sup?

Ashley is HUGE in Japan..... mostly cause she's a cute gothic lolita loli.

She had like, 20-30 different badges in the Nintendo Badge Arcade of her in all sorts of various outfits and stuff.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ashley had 2 different Japanese versions of her song. Brawl one stayed in the English release. Idk why they had the new remix cut from the English game. If she does become playable they gotta remix her theme again.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
The demo colors are incomplete as is. All the alts have not been confirmed whatsoever.

Ms. Pac-Man shares IP rights with someone other than Bandai-Namco. She's unlikely to be a costume or playable as an echo due to this. She also works 100% fine as a costume either way.

As for Ashley, she's vastly the most popular of the WW characters besides Wario himself. If anyone gets playable among it, it's her.
Mrs. Pac Man is definitely a problem IP wise. Simply put, the issue is (and I think I saw someone else mention this while I was browsing this thread) that Namco didn't create the character, their North American distributors Bally Midway did, and they took the core game from a student project called "Crazy Otto" which they purchased. A major problem that arose over time that eventually resulted in a court case that effectively toppled Bally Midway was that they were repeatedly coming up with unauthorized sequels. In hindsight it's easy to see why: Namco's Pac-Man sequels were each incredibly different from each other, like Super Pac-Man and Pac & Pal, with very different mechanics that moved away from the "formula" the first game created. It is very important to note that Namco begrudgingly made Mrs. Pac-Man an "official" entry in the series due to its overwhelming popularity, but they still were trying to do very different things in their sequels at this same time. In NA, this was not well received so Bally Midway created more samey sequels/upgrade kits like Pac-Man Plus, Jr. Pac-Man and even an arcade/pinball hybrid called/starring Baby Pac-Man (oh yes, and Professor Pac-Man). However these actions were never sanctioned by Namco, and they were (for better or for worse) successful at revoking the license.

That said Namco has had a very inconsistent history with the characters Bally Midway created. Indeed, Mrs. Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, Baby Pac-Man and even Professor Pac-Man have appeared in licensed titles over the years. This was especially prevalent in the late 1990's-early 2000's with the Infograms licensed PC games and Namco's own Pac-Man World series. However, the original Bally Midway arcade games have very rarely been reissued by Namco. Mrs. Pac-Man is a lone exception due to its popularity and "official" status, but even then it is often an unlockable (or these days, separately paid for) in official Namco arcade collections.

What this means is that Mrs. Pac-Man is not an impossibility, especially if Namco were pushed hard enough, but it's not exactly a period of their history they look fondly on (a licensee beating them in NA and culminating in a lawsuit), and the nature of the character's creation means that there may be additional license stipulations that make her inclusion in Smash difficult to achieve.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Bigger than what you would originally think, just not as big as this thread makes it out to be. :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I suppose I'm kinda a weirdo but I didn't play Wario's other series till after playing and enjoying WarioWare. I do think it introduced a lot of people to Wario and when talking about him as a spin-off you either can really talk about Syrup or the huge cast of WarioWare. So WarioWare sort of has the edge there?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

It's more popular in Japan than in the US.
Ashley is an all star of the series in Japan. She's very popular to the point where people who don't even play Warioware can recognize her pretty easily, and she has a lot of merchandise. She's easily the frontrunner if warioware got another rep: IIRC she got her own mii costume.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really want more homage to Wario's older games rather than just WarioWare exclusively. I understand that's the series Nintendo was working on, but the last Wario Land game was ten years ago. 36 days from ten years, anyway...

Shroob

Sup?
Let's be honest though.

In Japan, she's not really popular due to what she does or her personality.

It's cause she's a magical girl loli. :p

Nothing wrong with that if you're into that kinda stuff.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I don't think a stage return means much in regards to anyone's inclusion since, from the looks of it, most if not all of the stages in the series will be making a return. However I've been considering Porky's chances a bit today, how Ridley was promoted from boss to playable and Sakurai may have been able to think up a cool moveset for Porky too. I doubt it, but you never know. Personally I'd love it, Porky's one of my dream characters.
Well is not just a stage, is a stage where his name and face are everywhere, which could be confusing for someone that have no idea who he is, in brawl he was 2 bosses, one of them being the statue that you see in new pork city, so it was pretty much a "oh, this is that porky dude".
So at least I expect something similar in smash ultimate, even if is just a stage hazard.
But that's just what I hope.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do you Think We Won't Get Master and Crazy Hand Orders Again?

It Kind of Sucks to See them Again
Unless we get something like a customs shop, Special Orders might be one of the very few places to acquire custom parts.

It may have to do with me personally, as me and all of my siblings like Lemmy the best of all the Koopalings, and we're playing rock-paper-scissors or some **** to see who can play as him.

I can see how it'd be pointless to some but personally I want em to have an equal amount of alts.
I guess to me, the Koopalings are just a bonus, while the main attraction is Bowser Jr. himself. And as the main attraction, Bowser Jr. would receive all the recolors.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I really want more homage to Wario's older games rather than just WarioWare exclusively. I understand that's the series Nintendo was working on, but the last Wario Land game was ten years ago. 36 days from ten years, anyway...
This. I guess this is just a personal taste, but I would rather Captain Syrup lightyears before Ashley. I don't hate Ashley, I just don't like Wario Ware and have a lot of nostalgia for Wario Land, haha.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
Sackboy Would Be Great For Smash but there's one Problem.

Sony and Nintendo are Rivals making Sackboy Even Harder to Put him in Plus he is a Playstation Character.

One More thing:Sackboy is Confirmed in Playstation All Star Royale Battle Making Him Impossible

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Let's be honest though.

In Japan, she's not really popular due to what she does or her personality.

It's cause she's a magical girl loli. :p

Nothing wrong with that if you're into that kinda stuff.
It's just she follows a lot of basic rules of "cute" character design:
-Big Eyes
-Light/Cute Voice
-Wants friends (in japan)
-Character is composed of simple shapes that can easily be drawn and understood by fans
-Young Girl who has issues with social interaction
-Twist is her magical properties which set her apart

I think she would be a fun smash character, question is if warioware can get another rep or not.

Chameleos

Smash Rookie
This list might seem a little troll but this is a list I made for playable characters I wanted to see in Smash Ultimate. Hoping maybe that one more of these makes it into the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom