• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, as someone who knows nothing about Ashley aside from her being Warioware and a Lolita Goth child with a cute voice that clearly is perfect for the Japanese Market, what sort of moveset would she even have in Smash? I'm genuinely curious.
Tentacle Smash attacks or bust

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't know about Ridley, but look a this.

Oh wow, I haven't seen that before. I guess the artists can still make them regardless of wether or not their posted on the official site.

Alright then.

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
I saw a few jokes mentioning the possibility of Waluigi being an echo clone of Bayonetta. As ridiculous as that sounds, does anyone have any interesting ideas for echos of characters not originating from the original character's series like Ganondorf being a clone of Falcon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
But then again, there's also a lack of Black/African American smash bros fighters (Ganon, Black olimar alt, and...?), but there's not really any major nintendo characters (aside from Doc Louis, Elma, and maybe Anthony Higgs) who would fit that role really well.
*Cries in Twintelle*

Seriously though the fact that a character from one of the most hated Metroid games came to your mind before her, I cry.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The demo is already missing confirmed costumes like Fire Mario.

It means nothing. The demo just has 8 costumes in total for the sake of ease.
Where's Fire Mario confirmed? Cause I need Fire Mario more than any other alt. Construction Hat Mario is not an equal trade.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
yall need jesus lol
I wonder why there's so many "Little Boy" fighters in Smash bros but no little girl fighters?
Is it just because young boy characters are a lot more prominent and common in nintendo franchises? Is it a cultural boundary for a Japanese audience to not beat up little girls, but adult women are fine? Does Sakurai not want people to upskirt little girl characters like peach/rosa/zelda?

When you look at the young-boy smash bros fighters, you got:
Young Link, Toon Link, Ness, Lucas, ARGUABLY Inkling, and ARGUABLY Pit/Dark Pit, and ARGUABLY Pokemon Trainer are the young boys of the smash bros roster.
Inkling and pokemon trainer are the only "young girl" smash bros characters, and even then do they actually count?

But then again, there's also a lack of Black/African American smash bros fighters (Ganon, Black olimar alt, and...?), but there's not really any major nintendo characters (aside from Doc Louis, Elma, Twintelle, and maybe Anthony Higgs) who would fit that role really well, although all have some issues aside from maybe Elma.

*Cries in Twintelle*

Seriously though the fact that a character from one of the most hated Metroid games came to your mind before her, I cry.
My B, don't play arms. Sorry! She's got a cool character design

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh wow, I haven't seen that before. I guess the artists can still make them regardless of wether or not their posted on the official site.

Alright then.
And I'm sure Takeuchi (Ashley's artist) won't lose an opportunity to draw Ashley if she ended up being a playable character xD

Last edited:

Chameleos

Smash Rookie
For me looks like a very legit want list; every character you put has their own popularity, and all of them are videogame characters :happysheep:
Thanks. I was unsure about Reimu at first because she seemed to pop up out of nowhere but I think she'd make a nice addition to the game.

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder why there's so many "Little Boy" fighters in Smash bros but no little girl fighters?
Is it just because young boy characters are a lot more prominent and common in nintendo franchises? Is it a cultural boundary for a Japanese audience to not beat up little girls, but adult women are fine? Does Sakurai not want people to upskirt little girl characters like peach/rosa/zelda?

When you look at the young-boy smash bros fighters, you got:
Young Link, Toon Link, Ness, Lucas, ARGUABLY Inkling, and ARGUABLY Pit/Dark Pit, and ARGUABLY Pokemon Trainer are the young boys of the smash bros roster.
Inkling and pokemon trainer are the only "young girl" smash bros characters, and even then do they actually count?

But then again, there's also a lack of Black/African American smash bros fighters (Ganon, Black olimar alt, and...?), but there's not really any major nintendo characters (aside from Doc Louis, Elma, Twintelle, and maybe Anthony Higgs) who would fit that role really well, although all have some issues aside from maybe Elma.

My B, don't play arms. Sorry! She's got a cool character design
Ex-CUSE me, you forgot Mr.Game&Watch

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
How Long Will the Ashley Discussion Lasts it's So Amazing in Fact there Should be a Thread to Talk About this
Why Do You Type Like This? Sincere Question.

This list might seem a little troll but this is a list I made for playable characters I wanted to see in Smash Ultimate. Hoping maybe that one more of these makes it into the game.
>Akuma

I could see him as a Ryu echo fighter with how similar they are (bar things like Demon Flip and what not). Heihachi's chances are kind of up there imo, especially if Nintendo and Sora's working relationship with Namco has anything to say.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ex-CUSE me, you forgot Mr.Game&Watch
I meant black as in the context of race, but Game and Watch is technically "Black", just not african american.
There's not too many viable african american candidates for smash bros though unfortunately.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, as someone who knows nothing about Ashley aside from her being Warioware and a Lolita Goth child with a cute voice that clearly is perfect for the Japanese Market, what sort of moveset would she even have in Smash? I'm genuinely curious.
At base level Ashley could cast spells and ride on her broom, attack with her wand etc. Being a Warioware character it wouldn't be out of place for her to pull some random items from a few of her minigames too, but she's got more than enough to work with as is.

Her wand and broom are transformations of her little devil buddy Red. He would probably make up a good deal of her moveset, sticking by her side while she fights to turn into whatever weapons she needs. Broom Ride recovery (maybe she can attack while using this like the "Ashley" game in Game and Wario), turns into her wand to whack opponents over the head or shoot out electric spells, honestly her spells could be anything. The wackier the better too, to capture the random and fun nature of the Warioware series. Could be a lot of fun to create a moveset for her.

Troykv

Smash Master
Thanks. I was unsure about Reimu at first because she seemed to pop up out of nowhere but I think she'd make a nice addition to the game.
Nah, she and her franchise (Touhou) is like one of the biggest doujin and indie icons in Japan like Cave Story.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Where's Fire Mario confirmed? Cause I need Fire Mario more than any other alt. Construction Hat Mario is not an equal trade.
Considering Ridley has 8 alts, and he has a meta costume not in the demo, It's pretty much confirmed regardless (unless you believe meta ridley is an echo fighter with no new voicelines).
However I can't find anything on fire mario. Maybe the website?

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Considering Ridley has 8 alts, and he has a meta costume not in the demo, It's pretty much confirmed regardless.
However I can't find anything on fire mario. Maybe the website?
See, Ridley's 8th palette is very clearly a Meta Ridley palette. I'm not convinced that one isn't just a placeholder for the model and everybody has been crunched back to 8 alts again. Remember, it happened to Wario last time.

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
Most Nintendo games don't take place in real life settings. Saying we need more black characters is silly. Link is not a white person. I wouldn't even call Mario an Italian considering his last big game sent him to a world with real humans to be compared with, to which he clearly was not. That said Elma's darker skin tone would set her apart visually from all the light skinned princesses in the game if she were to be added, which is nice.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is that actually confirmed for the final game, or was that just because it was a demo?
Demo. Confirmed missing costumes prove that it's not all of 'em overall.

Not that the final game can't have 8 costumes per character, but we don't know.

Meta Ridley's absence is notable too. But to be fair, the polygons in the costume might've been buggy.

I'm looking for it still. I remember it earlier being talked about, and even SmashWiki spoke of it, but that's not good enough.

But anyway, just note the lack of the Meta-Ridley costume for strong evidence we're missing costumes from the demo.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
See, Ridley's 8th palette is very clearly a Meta Ridley palette. I'm not convinced that one isn't just a placeholder for the model and everybody has been crunched back to 8 alts again. Remember, it happened to Wario last time.
There's also a special menu now for costumes now, which could theoretically allow for some characters to have a lot of costumes. It's possible there's an uneven amount of costumes across characters, but who knows. I wouldn't be shocked if it's a placeholder though.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Most Nintendo games don't take place in real life settings. Saying we need more black characters is silly. That said Elma's darker skin tone would set her apart visually from all the light skinned princesses in the game.
Black characters can exist in non-realistic settings. Like obviously we don't need a black Pokemon/star fox character, but we could have black fire emblem/Zelda/Mario characters.

Also I always forget Ganondorf is dark skinned because he's also a demon lol...but I guess the Gerudo as a race are dark skinned.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most Nintendo games don't take place in real life settings. Saying we need more black characters is silly. That said Elma's darker skin tone would set her apart visually from all the light skinned princesses in the game.
It's not really silly. Representation matters.

Though it's less of a Smash-issue and more of a Nintendo-issue, as they don't create a lot of Smash-eligible black characters. They've been getting better lately, admittedly, with characters like Elma, Marina, and Twintelle, as well as folks like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.'s John Henry, but still.

I think it's most apparent with Fire Emblem. More than eight hundred named, important characters in the franchise. About three of them are black (Devdan, Basilio, Flavia) with Gray and Boey being ambiguous at best (they look closer to Filipino to me personally).

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
Sure, more dark skinned characters would be cool, but there just aren't many major Nintendo characters with dark skin. But someone was specifically saying we need more "African American representation" which is silly because wacky Nintendo characters can't be classified as actual races for the most part. Link isn't a white person. People call Mario an Italian, but Mario Odyssey sends him to a world with "real people", so I don't know if I'd even call Mario a white person. Fire Emblem characters speak Japanese, but they aren't Japanese.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So Isn't it already Tuesday morning in Japan? Odd we didn't get any blog posts on Monday, guess either Sakurai forgot since it has been a while since he last regularly did this or he'll just post whenever he feels like it...

Or he's tired after the long trip to E3 and back to Japan and wanted to catch a quick breather....

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Ashley
Lip
Viridi
and Midna

see if you can spot the commonality, lol.
nonplayable characters? :p is midna really a loli tho? not really sure. also i'd add megumeme to your list becuase reasons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's not really silly. Representation matters.

Though it's less of a Smash-issue and more of a Nintendo-issue, as they don't create a lot of Smash-eligible black characters. They've been getting better lately, admittedly, with characters like Elma, Marina, and Twintelle, as well as folks like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.'s John Henry, but still.

I think it's most apparent with Fire Emblem. More than eight hundred named, important characters in the franchise. About three of them are black (Devdan, Basilio, Flavia) with Gray and Boey being ambiguous at best (they look closer to Filipino to me personally).
Unironically Anthony from Metroid. You also have some characters from Punch Out like Disco Kid, Doc Louis, or possibly Super-Punch Out final boss Nick Bruiser (but I guess he's just more tanned?)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Sure, more dark skinned characters would be cool, but there just aren't many major Nintendo characters with dark skin. But someone was specifically saying we need more "African American representation" which is silly because wacky Nintendo characters can't be classified as actual races for the most part. Link isn't a white person. People call Mario an Italian, but Mario Odyssey sends him to a world with "real people", so I don't know if I'd even call Mario a white person. Fire Emblem characters speak Japanese, but they aren't Japanese.
Well sure yea there is no Africa, but people were defintely reffering to dark skinned characters.

And absolutely Nintendo needs to add more dark skinned characters before more can be added to Smash. Because it's Japan and not America it's not really a priority, but it's nice to see them try to make characters that appeal to oversea audiences (that's how Twintelle was designed).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
nonplayable characters? :p is midna really a loli tho? not really sure. also i'd add megumeme to your list becuase reasons.
To clarify, the term "loli" refers to basically looking like a young girl. That's kind of it. It has nothing to do with what their real age are.

But yes, I'd say this topic is going a bit far so let's go to a new one.

blackghost

Smash Champion
people were talking about echo characters that dont originate from the same game. twintelle as a echo of bayonetta is easily my favoriteidea with a close second being raiden from metal gear as a marth echo.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm not too late to the Ashley discussion am I?
Because, feast your eyes on your new challanger for Smash.

King Kashley.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom