• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would still put Rayman ahead of the Rabbids, only because he would be easier to create a moveset for by drawing from the games he stars in. The Rabbids are a group, and would require more work to create a functional moveset and animations.

Not that Sakurai wouldn't be up to the challenge. But while the Rabbids have certainly done better on Nintendo consoles than Rayman has, I think Rayman's just easier.
Rabbis have done way better as a franchise these days, more specifically. Has nothing to do with Nintendo consoles. It's a bigger series at this point. Rayman isn't known for merchandise by any big means.

Neither are hard to make work though. At worst, Rayman having invisible hitboxes hurts his chances, but I wouldn't put much stock into that factor anyway.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Do you Think that Ashley, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Dillon will be in Super Smash bros Ultimate.

Reason: They are not Confirmed as Assist Trophies
I think Ashley's Absence is the most notable absence, because somehow she's hugely popular in Japan, it be like a K.Rool AT being gone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Waluigi wasn't shown as an AT people would be posting he's guaranteed as a newcomer.
Any AT not shown is suddenly more likely to be playable - which isn't true - but it doesn't stop people from feeling that way.
If you remember what happened to Isaac, then you might have to ask if any of the Smash 3DS / Wii U Assist Trophies will not appear at all in Smash Ultimate.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Rabbis have done way better as a franchise these days, more specifically. Has nothing to do with Nintendo consoles. It's a bigger series at this point. Rayman isn't known for merchandise by any big means.

Neither are hard to make work though. At worst, Rayman having invisible hitboxes hurts his chances, but I wouldn't put much stock into that factor anyway.
The only reason why there has not been much merchandise for Rayman is due to the way Rayman is structurally speaking.
His body parts need to be attached to a prop.
stlfQTW.jpg

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I’m surprised not a lot of people mention it but not every character has to be revealed in direct.

What about those newcomer livestreams? Where they livestream the character reveal video, similar to what they did with Robin/Lucina’s reveal.

This way some newcomers can have some time to shine on their own like Elma. And we can get in depth character showcases for these newcomers, and get ones on months that don’t have directs.
I actually forgot about that. Man that was so hype. I'd love to have another event like that happen.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So with the way they changed up final smashes what do you think Peach's/Daisy's final Smash will be?
I'd say a Final Smash involving the vibes from Super Princess Peach but since no one ****ing remembers that masterpiece of a game I doubt they'll do it.

I'm just gonna guess they're keeping Peach Blossom and make Daisy's variant different aesthetically.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wait for me guys I want in on this wagon of bans!!

:ultfalcon: Deathborn
:ultcloud: Tifa
:ultdk: Rambi/ King K. Rool
:ultfox: Leon
:ultinkling: Octolings
:ultkirby: BWD
:ultlink: Tingle
:ultmario: Captain Toad
:ultmarth: Celica
:ultmegaman: Zero
:ultness: Porky
:ultolimar: Plasma Wraith
:ultpikachu: Mimikyu
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultryu: Chun Li
:ultsamus: Dark Samus
:ultshulk: Elma
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggmann
:ultvillager: Isabelle
:ultwario: Ashley
:ultyoshi: Poochy
:ultbayonetta: Jeanne
:ultlittlemac:King Hippo
:ultsnake: Quiet
:ultluigi: E Gad

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only reason why there has not been much merchandise for Rayman is due to the way Rayman is structurally speaking.
His body parts need to be attached to a prop.
That doesn't account for things that are irrelevant to that, like t-shirts.

He just has vastly less merchandise. Rabbids are legitimately a bigger franchise and have been pushed more as well. Not to say some don't dislike them because they got bigger than Rayman, the series Rabbids spun-off from, but eh.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Dillon Could be a Semi Clone or Echo Clone of Sonic.

Except his Final Smash is Completely Different
Dillon wouldn't make for a good Sonic Echo. ZTurtle ZTurtle made a really good post about it in the Dillon thread, but to sum it up, the problem with the suggestion is that Dillon's body proportions are too dissimilar from Sonic's to work. His short legs and longer arms prevent him from pulling off the same moves, with the former of which in particular being an issue since Sonic uses his legs in a good amount of his moveset. If Dillon was made with Sonic as a base, you'd have to change a number of moves for them to make sense with the character, and it wouldn't be worth the effort if the intent is to make an easy clone to add to the roster.

Semi-clone could be plausible, though I think he'd be more along the lines of Wolf in a worst case scenario since there's a lot the character can and should do that would heavily differentiate him from the character.

Last edited:

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I Wish Bowser Jr's Down B is Transforming to Shadow Mario Just Like Zelda/Sheik,But Noo It Never Happened

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If you remember what happened to Isaac, then you might have to ask if any of the Smash 3DS / Wii U Assist Trophies will not appear at all in Smash Ultimate.
Yah or they could be cut like you said.

The one seemingly difference between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate in this regard...
Is Smash Ultimate may want to bring back every AT ever.
It's appears to be a theme... as with the characters, and seemingly the stages..

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
lol rayman wasn't even ****ing acknowledged at ubi's e3 and i'm honestly ****ing fogged on when he last showed his face on a console. also what the **** are you on, hudson soft doesn't have a fighter yet and ****ing bomberman's an at. if anything rayman'd be the ****ing at and some rabbid would be the fighter XD
Right, remember how much love Megaman was receiving from Capcom the past few years before he got in Smash? Rayman Legends was ported on the Switch, so we've seen him on a console rather recently. Konami is Bomberman and Snake is playable.
maybe smash fans are just ****ing crazy nowadays.
Yeah, I know this one Smash fan who swears excessively whenever he talks for no particular reason.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
That doesn't account for things that are irrelevant to that, like t-shirts.

He just has vastly less merchandise. Rabbids are legitimately a bigger franchise and have been pushed more as well. Not to say some don't dislike them because they got bigger than Rayman, the series Rabbids spun-off from, but eh.
I forgot to actually account for that. I was only looking at it from a figure standpoint.
Honestly, I don't even hate the Rabbids. Even though they almost killed Rayman, they've grown to be their own thing and Mario + Rabbids was a great game. They have a lot of moveset potential, as well. I still prefer Rayman, but I could see the Rabbids bringing a unique flair to Smash.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Ashley's Absence is the most notable absence, because somehow she's hugely popular in Japan, it be like a K.Rool AT being gone.
I can understand why people think Knuckles being an Assist Trophy is "notable" (because there is typically only one AT for third party games), but there is zero reason to think Assist Trophy characters are any more likely than they previously were, just because they haven't been spotted in the first E3 Demo of the game.

Ashley's absence isn't any more notable than any other Assist Trophy. And she's definitely not comparable to King K. Rool.

Also, there are plenty of characters more popular than Ashely that are still assist trophies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One of the more recent fears I've had for Smash Ultimate that I'm gonna spoil myself on the bunch of ways to unlock exactly everything. I'm gonna try to go full commando and do everything on my own. :4pacman: Even if that means not going online for five months

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I can understand why people think Knuckles being an Assist Trophy is "notable" (because there is typically only one AT for third party games), but there is zero reason to think Assist Trophy characters are any more likely than they previously were, just because they haven't been spotted in the first E3 Demo of the game.

Ashley's absence isn't any more notable than any other Assist Trophy. And she's definitely not comparable to King K. Rool.

Also, there are plenty of characters more popular than Ashely that are still assist trophies.
Like Shadow the Hedgehog for a Example or Dillon

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I forgot to actually account for that. I was only looking at it from a figure standpoint.
Honestly, I don't even hate the Rabbids. Even though they almost killed Rayman, they've grown to be their own thing and Mario + Rabbids was a great game. They have a lot of moveset potential, as well. I still prefer Rayman, but I could see the Rabbids a unique flair to Smash.
Yeah.

Also, Rabbids got a TV Show. XD

Nonetheless, they're both filed to the brim with potential and neither should be ignored. I'd love both playable. It's just more Rayman doesn't interest me as much, but I completely understand why people like the character and with Rabbids pushing him out, I get where the salt comes from and all.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yeah.

Nonetheless, they're both filed to the brim with potential and neither should be ignored. I'd love both playable. It's just more Rayman doesn't interest me as much, but I completely understand why people like the character and with Rabbids pushing him out, I get where the salt comes from and all.
Rayman had a terrible movie.

Though yes I agree, though I lean more Rayman I love them both.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have a theory that Sakurai was being polite to Ubisoft by putting the model they sent him in as a trophy.
He knows Ubisoft wants him playable in Smash.
But he low key wants that peasant character no where near his game/ roster.

Look deep inside your hearts you know it to be the truth.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Yeah.

I respect your opinion. Even though I'm a Rayman fan, I can kind of see why some prefer the Rabbids.
Also, even though people had a reason to be salty back then, it doesn't entirely make sense now since the two franchises are doing just fine coexisting.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here's the difference between something that's notable and something that's not notable.

Notable:
"The Dark Samus colors are mysteriously missing from Samus's eight alternate colors."

Not notable:
"Isabelle's Assist Trophy hasn't been spotted amongst 17 other absent assist trophies in the first ever demo of the game."

Playcube

Smash Cadet
If Bomberman is a Assist Trophy Why Not Steve in Minecraft Too?

Oh Well See you Next Time Bomberman in SSB6

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
While the absence of the Ashley, Shadow, etc. ATs is something to note, I wouldn't say it outright confirms them.

They could always just be revealed on the Super Smash Blog after all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unrelated question about the Rabbids: Did they ever get over that weird obsession with plungers in the future games?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a theory that Sakurai was being polite to Ubisoft by putting the model they sent him in as a trophy.

Sakurai only asked for a model in the first place. He wasn't intending to have the character playable at that time. He just wanted a model for a trophy. That was it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Here's the difference between something that's notable and something that's not notable.

Notable:
"The Dark Samus colors are mysteriously missing from Samus's eight alternate colors."

Not notable:
"Isabelle's Assist Trophy hasn't been spotted amongst 17 other absent assist trophies in the first ever demo of the game."
Is there actually 17 absent? is this just from Smash 4 or Brawl as well?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I love that.

"I have a theory. You guys are looking WAY to deep into this."

I toally agree. Just because Rayman got a trophy and Ubisoft has been buddy buddy with Nintendo, doesn't mean Sakurai is going to shoe horn Rayman in or that Nintendo owes Ubisoft some kind of favor.

Honestly, unless we see Shadow or Ms. Pac-Man, I think we're just gonna get Simon. Eight third parties seems pretty sufficient. Good enough for an 8 Player game.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I love that.

I toally agree. Just because Rayman got a trophy and Ubisoft has been buddy buddy with Nintendo, doesn't mean Sakurai is going to shoe horn Rayman in or that Nintendo owes Ubisoft some kind of favor.

Honestly, unless we see Shadow or Ms. Pac-Man, I think we're just gonna get Simon. Eight third parties seems pretty sufficient. Good enough for an 8 Player game.
Mrs Pac Man Could be a Costume for Pac Man

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yeah, you're right, K.Rool can't hold a light to Ashley as she's so popular she's been used to promote games she isn't even in like that tank game which I can't remember the name of and Monster Hunter, arguably Capcom's biggest franchise these days

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Mrs Pac Man Could be a Costume for Pac Man
  1. It's been confirmed by Pac-Man's colors that she isn't.
  2. No. She couldn't be. Character's with essential differences in characteristics are not made into costumes. That's why Daisy is a separate fighter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Saw a lot of low :ultyoshi: entries in those hype lists...

What a cruel world
Rosalina doesn't seem to be getting much love either. Poor girl... :ultrosalina:

Yah or they could be cut like you said.

The one seemingly difference between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate in this regard...
Is Smash Ultimate may want to bring back every AT ever.
It's appears to be a theme... as with the characters, and seemingly the stages..
It's wishful thinking, but since Little Mac is a playable fighter, it makes little sense to see him as an Assist Trophy as well. The same ordeal applies to the Poke Ball Pokemon as well, since Charizard got the playable promotion for Brawl.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I love that.

I think what made people (myself included) curious back in Smash 4 was the fact that there were three trophies from Rayman rather than just one.
It always struck me odd, but I also realize that there are other ways to represent games other than playable characters.
I want Rayman, but by no means do I expect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom