• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PF9

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to see - inspired by pro wrestling - is character "stables". If Greninja returns, we can finally confirm the Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja in Smash Switch to be the ones belonging to Ash Ketchum - that could be a stable.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
For the record: before Snake was revealed - "3rd Parties will never get in because it's a Nintendo fighting game", before Sonic - "Sonic won't get in because Snake was just a favor for Kojima", before Mega Man - "Mega Man won't get in cause Capcom hates Mega Man", before Ryu - "Sakurai said he didn't want any fighting game characters so any fighting game character isn't happening", before Cloud "Cloud will never get in because he's a Sony character, he's hardly even been in Nintendo. And Square Enix wouldn't let it happen", and before Bayonetta - "Bayonetta will never get in cause she uses guns and is too sexy".
Now that Ridley is firmly resting in the "can't be done" camp, I look forward to one day adding him to your list.

The thing that concerns mean on if Smash is in the work was this year's E3. They announced Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon long before they are ready (Pokemon is maybe 2018 on Nintendo's schedule of releases), but they didn't show Smash. Smash is often announced way in advanced. Brawl was announced a year before it was shown (or even developed) and Smash 4 was announced two year before. So if Smash was in development, why would they not announce it at E3 when 1)other games were announced well in advance and 2)the last two games were announced well in advance.

Another thing that could effect the game's development is Tekken 7. The Tekken team worked on Smash so its unlikely they were working much on Smash when that game was being developed. It may have help back Smash if Namco is the one making the game this time.

I honestly don't think the game will come out in 2018 if its being made now. My guess is 2019. It also works out as 2019 is the anniversary of the series so its a nice tie in. But I wouldn't say for sure that Smash is in development. Be nice, but I find it odd they haven't announced it yet.
You've got to consider the circumstances in which Brawl and 3DU were announced. Iwata wanted fans and share holders alike to know that the highest selling game on the Gamecube was making it's return on the Wii. No one knew how successful the Wii was going to be and just in case it had rough launch Iwata wanted Smash faithful to be there asap, even if it meant just porting over Melee with online like originally planned. Iwata was building hype before any production on Brawl began.

With Wii U Nintendo was coming off of its unprofitable years. The only unprofitable years in the history of the company. At least since they started developing video games anyway. The Wii had died off prematurely and once more the future was uncertain so Iwata wanted to make sure that fans new that a brand new Smash was coming for this brand new system that got nothing but negative press from day one.

Now with Switch things have been very different. We got a lot of credible rumors in the last year or so that turned out to be true and it wasn't too farfetched to think that Smash Wii U would get the royal Switch job like a bunch of other Wii U games. Only thing is Zelda and the Switch concept itself carried Nintendo's name high into the heavens like they haven't seen in years. Right from the start the Switch didn't need any promise of Smash bros on the horizon. Zelda and the one high profile(1st party) game a month strategy has been working wonders for them.

I imagine Smash was going to get announced very early on, specifically at this past E3. Wether or not it was an enhanced port or something all new is anyone's guess but I am absolutely certain Nintendo felt confident enough to hold off any Smash announcements until later. They are doing very well and keeping momentum with what they've got, better to not waste any potential bombs while they are riding high.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now that Ridley is firmly resting in the "can't be done" camp, I look forward to one day adding him to your list.
Ehhhhh that list was of third party characters being argued against. Also to add on to your point, Prime 4 and Pokemon being announced for Switch so early ahead actually doesn't mean much. Prime 4 is something Metroid fans have been begging Nintendo for ages as Prime 3 was the last good Metroid game that was actually Metroid (Fed Force isn't a MetroidVania) and it came out 10 years ago. With Pokemon, for some reason, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were met with outrage for not being on the Switch. TLDR: they announced them to say "We get it, we're on it"

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You've got to consider the circumstances in which Brawl and 3DU were announced. Iwata wanted fans and share holders alike to know that the highest selling game on the Gamecube was making it's return on the Wii. No one knew how successful the Wii was going to be and just in case it had rough launch Iwata wanted Smash faithful to be there asap, even if it meant just porting over Melee with online like originally planned. Iwata was building hype before any production on Brawl began.

With Wii U Nintendo was coming off of its unprofitable years. The only unprofitable years in the history of the company. At least since they started developing video games anyway. The Wii had died off prematurely and once more the future was uncertain so Iwata wanted to make sure that fans new that a brand new Smash was coming for this brand new system that got nothing but negative press from day one.

Now with Switch things have been very different. We got a lot of credible rumors in the last year or so that turned out to be true and it wasn't too farfetched to think that Smash Wii U would get the royal Switch job like a bunch of other Wii U games. Only thing is Zelda and the Switch concept itself carried Nintendo's name high into the heavens like they haven't seen in years. Right from the start the Switch didn't need any promise of Smash bros on the horizon. Zelda and the one high profile(1st party) game a month strategy has been working wonders for them.

I imagine Smash was going to get announced very early on, specifically at this past E3. Wether or not it was an enhanced port or something all new is anyone's guess but I am absolutely certain Nintendo felt confident enough to hold off any Smash announcements until later. They are doing very well and keeping momentum with what they've got, better to not waste any potential bombs while they are riding high.
That...is an interesting point, actually. There's no pressure any more to rush out announcements now that the Switch is doing well. Though would they have been able to tell by the time they put the E3 Direct together? Do we have a time frame for when those are created?

It would make sense, though. They'd likely have started work on an enhanced port at minimum before then, hence the rumors and the still open data in the last couple Smash 4 patches, but maybe the reason they haven't revealed it yet is because they feel like they can afford to wait until a Direct this fall or the Nintendo World Championships or something similar. If work on the E3 Direct was late enough that they'd had a chance to see the Switch be successful at launch, maybe they decided they were better off holding off and keeping it from stealing the thunder of ARMS and Pokkén DX, leading to more software sales in the long run.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So, alongside Smash, what do you think will Nintendo's release schedule for major Switch titles from next year be? Regarding exclusives.
My wishlist is something like this:

January 2018 - surprise Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC pack with 16 new courses plus other things
January 2018 - possibly Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if it doesn't make it this year
February 2018 - Kirby Switch
March 2018 - WarioWare game, more in line with previous titles rather than Game & Wario
April 2018 - Fire Emblem Switch (will receive a huge info blowout once Warriors is released), may come later in EU/USA
May 2018 - Pikmin 4 (to be announced soon, possibly next direct)
June 2018 - Sakurai's new project, possibly a revival of either Duck Hunt or Mach Rider
July 2018 - Mario Party 11
July 2018 - Great Detective Pikachu Switch
August 2018 - Yoshi Switch
August 2018 - Super Mario Odyssey DLC pack
September 2018 - The Legend Of Zelda Trilogy HD (includes The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters, plus Skyward Sword)
September 2018 - Travis Strikes Back - No More Heroes and No More Heroes 1 + 2 bundle remaster
October 2018 - Retro's new IP, tackling the action RPG genre and heavily based on Soulsborne games, horror like
November 2018 - Animal Crossing Switch (classic gameplay)

January 2019 - Luigi's Mansion 3
March 2019 - Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
March 2019 - The Wonderful 102
April 2019 - Yokai Watch Switch
May 2019 - Metroid Prime 4 (will start receiving updates once Samus Returns releases)
June 2019 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions # The Legend Of Zelda (yep), it's actually a sequel to #FE
July 2019 - Wave Race new title, much more arcade like
August 2018 - Kid Icarus Uprising sequel
September 2019 - Pokémon Snap 2
October 2019 - Fatal Frame 6
October 2019 - Super Mario Maker 2
November 2019 - Pokémon Forever & Pokémon Beyond

Nintendo announces 2020: The Hardcore Year

February 2020 - Donkey Kong Country Returns Part 3 (Retro title developed in tandem with new IP)
March 2020 - Mario Strikers 3
April 2020 - Super Monkey Ball Switch
April 2020 - Metroid Prime 4 DLC story pack
May 2020 - F-Zero FX
June 2020 - Nintendo Garage's new IP, tackling on rail classic shooters but with a twist, battle arena multiplayer
August 2020 - Soul Calibur 6 (exclusive)
September 2020 - Switch Wars (sequel to Advance series)
September 2020 - Bayonetta 1+2 remasters
October 2020 - Eternal Darkness 2
October 2020 - Bayonetta 3
November 2020 - Super Smash Bros. Switch (complete new massive title, only supervised by Sakurai)
November 2020 - Pokémon Universe
December 2020 - Monolithsoft's new IP

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ehhhhh that list was of third party characters being argued against.
I can see that, but given my response, what does it matter? It's a list of characters that were thought nearly impossible because of reasoning that was simply arbitrary.

Ridley is that character that much of the hardcore fanbase has convinced themselves can never happen because of reasons. Pretty good Sakurai reasons but still just reasons that could easily be bypassed with a different mindset.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
As for future Switch releases in 2018, expect a Mario Maker soon, it will be that year's Mario game. Animal Crossing seems like a 2018 release as well, and I would wager Pikmin 4 will be a summer 2018 release. I personally expect DKC: Tropical Freeze Deluxe, it's the last non-massive selling million seller on Wii U to not get ported to 3DS or Switch (excluding often releases like Mario Party). And whatever Retro is working on.

As for beyond 2018, Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi will be a thing (the latter might take a while due to not having a game in HD right now, Alphadream may not be totally prepared). Also, 2D Mario will be a 2019 release, like how Galaxy came in 2007, then NSMB Wii in 2009. And Smash, of course.

As for less obvious stuff, I think a 2D Metroid will appear 2019 or later, as well as a Luigi's Mansion 3 at some point, Dark Moon sold too well to not do a sequel. A Wario Ware game could really appear at any time as well.

Then you have random spinoffs+ new IP's that you really can't concretely predict as well.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

There is a major hole in your argument. If Nintendo wasn't announcing Smash becuase they didn't have to, then why did they announce Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon well in advance. Pokemon is a bigger series than Smash. If Nintendo was not announcing Smash because they felt confident, then why announce two other games in the same way they announced Smash? These games probably wont be out until 2019. If sales confidence is a major reason for announcing games early, why do it now. Its inconsistent with what you are saying.

Simple answer is the best one. The problem with your assessment is you have to make a lot of exceptions or have a lot of asterisks. With Brawl, Nintendo was coming off a very good year. The DS was showing strong sales. If the reason they announced Smash 4 early was because of weak sales, then why did they also announce Brawl early when they had good sales. Likewise, I don't think you can explain Pokemon and MP4 without a lot of exceptions.

The simpler answer is there isn't a Smash. 1)Nintendo often announces Smash well in advance (we've seen a pattern of this) 2)Nintendo announced other games well in advance. 3)Nintendo did not announce Smash. So, we can surmise that Smash may not be in development.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
User was warned for this post
There is a major hole in your argument. If Nintendo wasn't announcing Smash becuase they didn't have to, then why did they announce Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon well in advance. Pokemon is a bigger series than Smash. If Nintendo was not announcing Smash because they felt confident, then why announce two other games in the same way they announced Smash? These games probably wont be out until 2019. If sales confidence is a major reason for announcing games early, why do it now. Its inconsistent with what you are saying.

Simple answer is the best one. The problem with your assessment is you have to make a lot of exceptions or have a lot of asterisks. With Brawl, Nintendo was coming off a very good year. The DS was showing strong sales. If the reason they announced Smash 4 early was because of weak sales, then why did they also announce Brawl early when they had good sales. Likewise, I don't think you can explain Pokemon and MP4 without a lot of exceptions.

The simpler answer is there isn't a Smash. 1)Nintendo often announces Smash well in advance (we've seen a pattern of this) 2)Nintendo announced other games well in advance. 3)Nintendo did not announce Smash. So, we can surmise that Smash may not be in development.
You're ACTUALLY ****ing stupid. He ADDRESSED one thing you mentioned, about why Brawl was announced early. And I myself pointed out why Prime 4 and Pokemon on the Switch are different! Prime 4 was heavily demanded from Nintendo, and Game Freak got so much backlash when USM was confirmed to just be a 3DS game. PLUS! It's the first console pokemon game that isn't a spinoff! It's called building in hype!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
You're ACTUALLY ****ing stupid. He ADDRESSED one thing you mentioned, about why Brawl was announced early. And I myself pointed out why Prime 4 and Pokemon on the Switch are different! Prime 4 was heavily demanded from Nintendo, and Game Freak got so much backlash when USM was confirmed to just be a 3DS game. PLUS! It's the first console pokemon game that isn't a spinoff! It's called building in hype!
Someone is a little grumpy I see.

If you actually bothered to read what I said, I pointed out that the issue is inconsistency. Yes, he gave a reason why Brawl was announced, I get that. What I'm saying is it doesn't jive with the rest of what he said. Why do we assume Smash is different than the other games? He never mentioned those games in his response to me.

And, exactly as I said, you do the same thing I pointed out above by inserting asterisks. "Metroid Prime 4 was heavily demanded." And Smash isn't? "Game Freak is covering for backlash." How do we know that? What if they always planned to make that announcement (as anyone with half a brain cell knew Pokemon was going to happen on Switch and many interviews hinted at that). And if Nintendo didn't feel like they had to announce Smash, why wouldn't they think the same for Pokemon, their biggest series besides Mario? Wouldn't the backlash be meaningless if the logic is Nintendo doesn't have to announce stuff early when sales are go? You don't address my point. You did exactly what I said.

Now, I know you get all hot and bothered every time I post something. So how about I get you a glass of warm milk and you can go take a nice nap.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

If you actually bothered to read what I said, I pointed out that the issue is inconsistency. Yes, he gave a reason why Brawl was announced, I get that. What I'm saying is it doesn't jive with the rest of what he said. Why do we assume Smash is different than the other games? He never mentioned those games in his response to me.

And, exactly as I said, you do the same thing I pointed out above by inserting asterisks. "Metroid Prime 4 was heavily demanded." And Smash isn't? "Game Freak is covering for backlash." How do we know that? What if they always planned to make that announcement (as anyone with half a brain cell knew Pokemon was going to happen on Switch and many interviews hinted at that). And if Nintendo didn't feel like they had to announce Smash, why wouldn't they think the same for Pokemon, their biggest series besides Mario? Wouldn't the backlash be meaningless if the logic is Nintendo doesn't have to announce stuff early when sales are go? You don't address my point. You did exactly what I said.

Now, I know you get all hot and bothered every time I post something. So how about I get you a glass of warm milk and you can go take a nice nap.
I'm grumpy because you have a very selective way of reading. Last time you posted "Travis's new game was announced during an Indie thing" "Actually it was announced in January" Later you then say "It was announced during an Indie thing" and you're being consistent with that
The Switch is selling so well Nintendo has been unable to keep up with the demand
Brawl's announcement was early because Nintendo was worried the Wii wouldn't be successful
Same for Smash 4 which was announced 2 years before the first E3 trailer
There's no inconsistency to be found

"Durr hurr Smash isn't high demand?" Smash had a game released a few years ago. Metroid went 6 years without a game since a huge slap in the face only to be greeted by a spinoff that wasn't appealing to Metroid fans, meaning it's been 10 years since the last ACTUAL Metroid game

"How do you know?" How do you NOT know? The way the confirmation happened wasn't done in a hype worthy way, it was just thrown out after Pokken Tournament DX's announcement with absolutely ZERO fanfare. People have been DEMANDING games for the Switch and the meltdown about USM was astonishing

"Why would Nintendo feel the need to not announce Smash but Pokemon?" Sure, let's assume Game Freak doesn't actually have significantly more control over the franchise alongside the fact Game Freak's managed to rake in billions by using only 1 IP due to frequent releases and arguable milking of the franchise

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
y'all need some chill pills.

Also announcements are made if and when the company feel like they're ready to announce them. Sometimes they'll take the Bethesda approach like with ARMS and sometimes they'll just do the whole "Yeah we've started work on this, just to let you know" thing with plenty of inbetweens.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So, alongside Smash, what do you think will Nintendo's release schedule for major Switch titles from next year be? Regarding exclusives.
OK. It's a tad unrealistic though.

January- Kirby Switch, NES/Game Boy VC start filtering in
Febuary- MK8D DLC pack 3 (FT: Kirby Characters, More Koopa and Toad colors)
March- DK Tropical Freeze DX, a few SNES VC games
April- Yoshi Switch
May- Earthbound Complete (3D remasters of all 3 games), GBA games VC
June- New FE, Pokken DLC update, MK8D Pack 4 (FT Earthbound Characters), more SNES VC
July- Color Splash DX, N64 games.
August- Zelda Bundle (WWHD, TPHD, SSHD, Wolf Link amiibo)
September- Tomodachi Life 2 (3? 4?), DS VC.
October- SMM 2.
November- Gen 8 Pokémon, Pikmin 4,M&S 2020 GC VC.

January: Pokken DLC Update, New AC
Febuary: New PMD, Shuffle Port
March: New M&L
April: MK9, Pokémon Conquest 2
May: KI:U2, Bayonetta 1+2 port
June: Miitopia 2, Wii VC
July: AC:HHD 2, 3DS VC
August: Luigi's Mansion, New Pokémon Ranger
September: Final Pokken DLC Wave, 2D Zelda
October: Bayonetta 3, NSMB3
November: New Pokémon, New Paper Mario, Wii U servers laid to rest.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I don't see why Smash would be treated differently than other ganmes at this point. With the exception of the emergency Wii U direct, Nintendo likes to keep stuff close to the chest. Prime 4 might be an exception, but we have no idea when it will come out. They rarely announce games more than 2 years out. An early 2018 announcement with a late 2019 release would be very plausible given Nintendo's announcement cycle.

As for games like Prime 4 and Pokemon, let's also group them with Fire Emblem for Switch and Pikmin 4. What do all of these games have in common? They all have a 3DS counterpart (Hey! Pikmin, FE: SoV, Samus Returns, US/UM). The purpose of announcing their Switch counterparts is to reassure people where those franchises' futures are. There is no real need to assure people Smash will be on Switch, Reggie basically confirmed it months ago anyway.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm grumpy because you have a very selective way of reading. Last time you posted "Travis's new game was announced during an Indie thing" "Actually it was announced in January" Later you then say "It was announced during an Indie thing" and you're being consistent with that
The Switch is selling so well Nintendo has been unable to keep up with the demand
Brawl's announcement was early because Nintendo was worried the Wii wouldn't be successful
Same for Smash 4 which was announced 2 years before the first E3 trailer
There's no inconsistency to be found

"Durr hurr Smash isn't high demand?" Smash had a game released a few years ago. Metroid went 6 years without a game since a huge slap in the face only to be greeted by a spinoff that wasn't appealing to Metroid fans, meaning it's been 10 years since the last ACTUAL Metroid game

"How do you know?" How do you NOT know? The way the confirmation happened wasn't done in a hype worthy way, it was just thrown out after Pokken Tournament DX's announcement with absolutely ZERO fanfare. People have been DEMANDING games for the Switch and the meltdown about USM was astonishing

"Why would Nintendo feel the need to not announce Smash but Pokemon?" Sure, let's assume Game Freak doesn't actually have significantly more control over the franchise alongside the fact Game Freak's managed to rake in billions by using only 1 IP due to frequent releases and arguable milking of the franchise
I think the problem is that you don't understand the meaning of the work "inconsistent." When I say the argument is inconsistent, I mean that the logic is not applied the same for each instance. If we go by the logic that Smash wasn't announced now because Nintendo didn't have to because of strong sales of the Switch, why would Nintendo announce too other games long before they are ready. See how the explanation for Smash contradicts what happens for other games. This is inconsistency.

Of course, because you have no self awareness, you take those questions I posses as direct arguments and not me explaining how you were creating unnecessary exceptions to the argument. This was the what I said in the first place. If we have to apply different criteria to how Smash was announced with how these games were announced than you are not applying the argument consistently.

To demonstrate, let's look at your Metroid comment
So the original argument was that Smash wasn't announced now because Nintendo didn't need to because of strong Switch sales. My rebuttal was that Metroid was announced early, which is contrary to the claim. Now you are saying that Metroid hasn't had a new "appealing" Metroid game. Yet Nintendo also announced Samus Returns at E3 as well. So if the goal of announcing Metroid Prim 4 was to announce an "appealing" game, why would they need to do that when Samus Returns was coming out in a few months. By that logic, it makes less sense. If we go by the original argument that Nintendo didn't announce Smash because of strong Switch sales, then wouldn't Nintendo also not need to announce Metroid Prime 4 as 1)The Switch is selling well and 2)Samus Return was coming out in a few months anyway. So now you need to explain why Samus Return is different in order to explain the last logical inconsistency. I'm not going to even tackle the Pokemon thing because it clear you don't know what your talking about. Simply put, the Pokemon announcement at E3 was likely planned before the Pokemon Direct aired. So there you go.

Now look at my argument. I only need three pieces to explain it.
  1. Nintendo has announced Smash well in advance for the last two games
  2. Nintendo announced other games well in advance
  3. Nintendo did not announce Smash
See how simple that is compared to the original argument (which you are doing more harm to by debating it, so stop while you're ahead)

Here is the issue. You whine because I said NMH was announced at the indie event and get hung up on that even though everyone else knew exactly what I was saying. You complain how I don't know English or something and then have no comprehension of what I'm arguing here and do exactly what I said was going to happen. You can't read and have a sever lack of self awareness. Now, I'm here to discuss video games and I'm going to try and respect everyone. And you know what, everyone here has been fairly pleasant. But if you want to get uppity at every post I make because you get hung up on one term then I'm going to treat you like a child and make fun of you. Call me ****ing stupid, and call you a little child who's parents will finally let him use the computer because maybe this time he wont try to put butter in the USB port.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

To give my own input, I follow large swaths of the Pokémon fanbase since it's one of my favorite franchises. The reaction to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon being announced for the 3DS with little to no actual substance shown made quite a big part of the already-vocal fandom upset. Granted some Pokémon fans reach anger critical mass at the drop of a hat, sure, but this was more...palpable, really.

Game Freak and TPCI are incredibly protective of the Pokémon brand. There really hadn't been a more negative reaction to a main series game in the past. The closest there was was Black 2 and White 2, but the prospect of them being sequels instead of enhanced remakes a la Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum tempered a lot of the anger. Considering Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon seemingly follow the Crystal/Emerald/Platinum route, and with two versions no less, added fuel to the fire.

It's also completely uncharacteristic of them to announce a main series title in the manner they announced Pokémon Switch. There's no precedent for what they did, and they're usually quite consistent in that regard. Considering there was also unprecedented backlash against Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, I fully believe the Switch game announcement at this stage, before USUM is even released, was damage control.

As for Metroid, the temper tantrum the Metroid fandom had over Federation Force was unnaturally huge for a Nintendo game. The trailer had thousands of dislikes on YouTube, and I think at one point it had like a ninety percent dislike ratio. That's a big deal. Iwata actually apologized for that E3 in general before he passed, and later on in the year Federation Force went quiet. Eventually it's mentioned in a Direct again, only for them to essentially apologize for not convincing people on it...which is very un-Nintendo to do. It was like they had to defend its existence after a major embarrassment.

Yes, they announced Samus Returns at E3 this year, but based on the USUM reaction and the MP:FF reaction, they likely wanted to cover their bases. In the event some would whine about Samus Returns not being on the Switch (which let's face it, would've likely happened), they assuaged those fears of Metroid not being on the Switch by confirming Metroid Prime 4 was in development.

With Smash, however, there was no need to bring the series back to good faith. The worst thing was probably the ballot salt at the end, but that largely blew over and had no impact on people's view of the franchise to a significant extent. At the same time, they didn't need to sell people on the system by promising Smash, because the system was already well liked. Had the Switch reveal trailer gone poorly, I'm willing to bet they'd have announced Smash at E3 in the same was Prime 4 and Pokémon Switch were.

Just my take on the situation.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
  • Nintendo has announced Smash well in advance for the last two games
  • Nintendo announced other games well in advance
  • Nintendo did not announce Smash
But don't forget to consider that patterns can change. The time and presentation of the announcement of such a big game like Smash is very important, so the strategy in how and when such announcements are made can easily change if the marketing thinks it makes sense.

Take also into account that there is/was the ballot which pretty much implies that there are already plans for a new entry imo.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I-it's just me, but I really disliked the fact that Muteki Gwen tried to start a flame w-war. But, I personally think it was unfair that S-SmashChu also got a warning too.

On topic... if we do see a Ubisoft newcomer, I think the newcomer should not be from a game that is 18+. There are lots of Ubisoft games, but most of the games are oriented toward 16+, that's what I see the most when I see these Ubisoft games. But it m-may increase the chance of the newcomer being a l-low tier.

It's just my opinion, again, but I personally like to see Crash Bandicoot from PS4 coming to the new Super Smash Bros, though it's really unlikely to me, because then Nintendo will have to ask and license the permission with the creator of that game. This game is still popular, still 1st in most ranking, after the newest remaster called 'Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy' got released. He would pair up well with Sonic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I-it's just me, but I really disliked the fact that Muteki Gwen tried to start a flame w-war. But, I personally think it was unfair that S-SmashChu also got a warning too.

On topic... if we do see a Ubisoft newcomer, I think the newcomer should not be from a game that is 18+. There are lots of Ubisoft games, but most of the games are oriented toward 16+, that's what I see the most when I see these Ubisoft games. But it m-may increase the chance of the newcomer being a l-low tier.

It's just my opinion, again, but I personally like to see Crash Bandicoot from PS4 coming to the new Super Smash Bros, though it's really unlikely to me, because then Nintendo will have to ask and license the permission with the creator of that game. This game is still popular, still 1st in most ranking, after the newest remaster called 'Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy' got released. He would pair up well with Sonic.
Actually, Crash is owned by Activision, and while we know Activision asked for too much money for Play Station All Stars, Smash is a different beast entirely. Personally I wouldn't mind as Crash fits the cartoony setting imo

Geno Boost

Smash Master
there are some types of fighters that havent been introduced to smash yet:
- a weather fighter (the closest thing is Mallow or Castform)
- a transformer fighter (does similar thing to ditto or mew but for limited amount of time)
- a healer fighter (useful for team battle too)
- a poisonus fighter
- a spring fighter (yeah anything from arms)
- a fighter that change its size
- a digging fighter
- a fighter that uses Nintendo's gaming consoles stuff to fight
- a fighter that could clone itself (Strangly i thought of Yaridovich he is a spear and water and fire user as well which is really great)
- a snake fighter (no legs no hands this would be intersting to have)
- a sound fighter
- a fighter that only can be damaged only in the heart or brain and it's controllable and floating (similar to rosalina and luma but this time the one that gets the real damage is the luma)
- a shape shifter fighter (Deoxys and Smithy would be amazing)
what do you think about them?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
- a transformer (does similar thing to ditto or mew but for limited amount of time)
- a poisonus fighter
- a digging fighter
- a fighter that could clone itself
- a sound fighter
I don't care how it likely wouldn't work out logistically. Castform is my favorite Pokémon and I'd be beyond hyped if it got into the game. :p

But yeah, Chorus Kids would work for a sound based fighter, Muddy Mole for digging.

IronTed

Smash Ace
- a transformer (does similar thing to ditto or mew but for limited amount of time)
- a poisonus fighter
- a digging fighter
- a sound fighter
- a fighter that only can be damaged only in the heart or brain and it's controllable and floating (similar to rosalina and luma but this time the one that gets the real damage is the luma)
A character that is a collection of consoles would be neat. I mean, do they even have any more iconic retro characters they can use? I'm thinking something like the Color TV.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
- a sound fighter
:4jigglypuff: is close to being that, it's just that her sound moves (Sing, Spinphony and Hyper Voice) are all so trash that it's easy to forget about them. Personally I think they could replace Rollout with Echoed Voice, and maybe make Sing more useful and she'd fit the bill, but that's just what I think.

Luminario

Smash Lord
- a poisonus fighter
- a digging fighter
- a sound fighter
A fighter than can clone themselves or a fighter that can only be damaged in certain areas might be a bit too unbalanced but the rest seems good.
I'd love to see a weather fighter, even one that only creates a no-hitstun rain cloud. Lots of pokemon could feasibly be that sort of fighter.
WFT is likely to be the most healer fighter we're gonna get unless someone gets a Micaiah Sacrifice move that heals someone else by hurting the user.
Isn't the flower head technically poison? Lip or any number of pokemon could cover that.
Nikki or 9-Volt could easily be a console character.
If they actually tried with Jiggs' moveset they could make her use more sound moves, seeing as how she's meant to be a sound based pokemon anyway.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
- a poisonus fighter
- a digging fighter
- a sound fighter
I think Seviper from Pokémon's Gen 3 could fit the bill for a strictly poison fighter, a snake fighter (as in no arms or legs), and a creative use of Coil for a spring fighter. Although, popularity and relevance holds Seviper back. The spring use would better fit a character from Arms.

I'm currently interested in a "swiss-army knife" style of character where multiple weapons and multiple magic schools are used. A "Job Changer" would also sound interesting, too.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
No one is talking about the one thing holding rayman and sukapon back ............. the fact that their amibo are either gonna look like my fourth grade scuds diving project or are just a pile of limbs with a head.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

Others have already mentioned a few key things but it all comes down to damage control.

These are individual companies run by people and companies that aren't beholden to one big daddy(at all times in the same way) and things can change at the drop of a hat. What I'm saying is you can't plug these game announcements and everything surrounding them into a mathematical formula and have them all fit.

Metroid has had some terrible mind share for quite some time now. With the Switch's first E3 what better way to get jaded fans on board then to give them some piece of mind that the tried and true Metroid Prime series is on its way back? Smash 3DS and Wii U for the most part passed the fan test with flying colors. There is good will there and not one person on this board or any board for that matter has anxiety over the next Smash simply existing.

While Pokemon is still more popular than ever, when has the Pokemon Company ever announced a new Pokemon game like that? Never! Every generation of new hardware brings with it people that want Pokemon at launch or really close to it. That's not how the Pokemon company does it, but this time around the Ultra Sun and Moon titles actually had a bit of back lash because those darn rumors had folks believing these games would make their way to the Switch. It's standard Pokemon but this time people were definitely more vocal about it. When the Pokemon company just announced that the next mainline Pokemon game would be for the Switch all they were doing was damage control. They didn't even give us a title. We all knew it was coming but those that have hissy fits just needed to hear it and they were pacified.

Those 2 games being announced for the Switch was enough. If they didn't need to announce Smash, great save it for later because the Switch is doing fine, and no one is questioning if there will ever be another Smash. It's not in any weird limbo and there is no concern if the next installment will some how not come to Switch.

I mean it was E3, some things have to be announced so good sales can continue and sometimes things are saved. Though when the Wii U was floundering after launch we got that epic desperate Nintendo Direct that basically showed us all the major 1st party titles coming until the consoles life ended.

There will always be exceptions because there are different people running these companies with different perspectives, goals, etc. They may be under the umbrella of Nintendo but they don't all move to the same drum beat.

- - -

Brawl was announced while Gamecube died a horribly slow death. Rewatch that first Wii E3 reveal, not the TGS reveal of the controller earlier that year. Iwata announces a new Smash with online capabilities almost on a whim, no graphics, no title card, no nothing. Later we find out Sakurai is in the audience like "oh really?!" Then later that day we find out Iwata basically begs Sakurai to do the next Smash. That was an announcement to drive sales home. Maybe things on the hand held front were picking up steam but the Gamecube had severely under performed and they weren't announcing a Smash DS to pick those sales up.

Melee was shown at E3 and we got it later that year.

3DS and Wii U were announced before Sakurai even finished Kid Icarus. With all the in fighting between Melee and Brawl fans coupled with the sales of Wii dropping off a cliff it was no wonder that Iwata wanted us to know that they were going to be making a Smash Wii U/3DS.

This time around, they had incredible buzz from Zelda, pretty decent buzz from the machine itself and Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey just around the corner. Lots of credible rumors came up regarding the Switch including Smash, I might be wrong but I believe Smash is already in the works and with Namco again. Once the Switch released and the general vibe was super positive,everyone at Nintendo realized they could breath and just make the game without forcing any sort of announcement. So here we are guessing whats going on only because they can absolutely afford to with all there other games generating decent buzz.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
A fighter than can clone themselves or a fighter that can only be damaged in certain areas might be a bit too unbalanced but the rest seems good.
I'd love to see a weather fighter, even one that only creates a no-hitstun rain cloud. Lots of pokemon could feasibly be that sort of fighter.
WFT is likely to be the most healer fighter we're gonna get unless someone gets a Micaiah Sacrifice move that heals someone else by hurting the user.
Isn't the flower head technically poison? Lip or any number of pokemon could cover that.
Nikki or 9-Volt could easily be a console character.
If they actually tried with Jiggs' moveset they could make her use more sound moves, seeing as how she's meant to be a sound based pokemon anyway.
cloning wouldnt be unalanced because the clone would be weak and the other one wouldnt be unbalanced too because it would have a similar playstyle as Rosalina on luma exept now luma is the one that gets the real damage also it cant use sheild and grab just the body, the only fighter that i feel have the potential to have this kind of playstyle is Jibber from joy mech fight.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Finally get back to checking Smashboards, only to see the Mimikyu support thread is still inactive without a another supporter.

The agony.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll post this here since my topic was closed
Be it a specific character, updates to returning features brand new mode, or a simple mode, what do you want from a Smash Bros for Switch.

Personally, I want it reuse assets from Smash Wii U, but I don't want a port. I want loads of new additions to make it its own standalone title.

Most major franchise in Smash has new games, I want stages from them. Mario odyssey, Zelda Botw, Pokemon gen 7, Kirby Switch and Robobot, Metroid Prime and Samus returns. Yoshi Switch, Star Fox 0. HeyPikmin (or hopefully pikmin 4 by then), Fire Emblem echoes heroes warriors and Switch, Animal Crossing happy home design, Xenoblade X & 2 only donkey kong the original 8 hasn't had a new game since Smash wii u released, and it could easily use tropical freeze for a recent game since it released so close to it.

I would like very character to have unique custom moves, and I would actually like equipment to be removed or at least the option to turn them off when playing custom random.

a cheat code system to help those who don't like unlocking things to instantly unlock things.

Classic mode to be a classic mode.

revised Melee adventure mode, every franchise has an adventure level followed by fight, but you only complete 6 randomised versions by the end. special character or franchise specific boss fight at the end. speaking

boss fights, bring them back

my top 5 most wanted characters are Skull Kid, Bandana dee, Ridley, Banjo Kazooie and King Boo. bandana dee is who I have the highest hopes for.

Target Smash! Bring it back

Smash Run with more enemies and more options like City Trial had.

custom stages please.

Tourney need to come back, and let them be as big as Melee ones. and make them offline >-> I want to be able to fit every playable character in them

just for fun, a fourth taunt and victory animation. more charm is better.

I want the announcer to yell them game name after the opening cinematic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll post this here since my topic was closed
Be it a specific character, updates to returning features brand new mode, or a simple mode, what do you want from a Smash Bros for Switch.

Personally, I want it reuse assets from Smash Wii U, but I don't want a port. I want loads of new additions to make it its own standalone title.

Most major franchise in Smash has new games, I want stages from them. Mario odyssey, Zelda Botw, Pokemon gen 7, Kirby Switch and Robobot, Metroid Prime and Samus returns. Yoshi Switch, Star Fox 0. HeyPikmin (or hopefully pikmin 4 by then), Fire Emblem echoes heroes warriors and Switch, Animal Crossing happy home design, Xenoblade X & 2 only donkey kong the original 8 hasn't had a new game since Smash wii u released, and it could easily use tropical freeze for a recent game since it released so close to it.

I would like very character to have unique custom moves, and I would actually like equipment to be removed or at least the option to turn them off when playing custom random.

a cheat code system to help those who don't like unlocking things to instantly unlock things.

Classic mode to be a classic mode.

revised Melee adventure mode, every franchise has an adventure level followed by fight, but you only complete 6 randomised versions by the end. special character or franchise specific boss fight at the end. speaking

boss fights, bring them back

my top 5 most wanted characters are Skull Kid, Bandana dee, Ridley, Banjo Kazooie and King Boo. bandana dee is who I have the highest hopes for.

Target Smash! Bring it back

Smash Run with more enemies and more options like City Trial had.

custom stages please.

Tourney need to come back, and let them be as big as Melee ones. and make them offline >-> I want to be able to fit every playable character in them

just for fun, a fourth taunt and victory animation. more charm is better.

I want the announcer to yell them game name after the opening cinematic.
hazard toggle plz

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Has anyone thought of Gravity fighter in smash? is there even a gravity fighter in Nintendo games at least?
The thing about gravity is that it could end up making the character broken and, considering what kind of game Smash is, I feel like the way it'll be balanced will make the gravity fighter look more like someone with telekinesis, which we already have in Smash with Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas. (Palutena could also count because some of her staff moves uses a similar thing)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The thing about gravity is that it could end up making the character broken and, considering what kind of game Smash is, I feel like the way it'll be balanced will make the gravity fighter look more like someone with telekinesis, which we already have in Smash with Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas. (Palutena could also count because some of her staff moves uses a similar thing)
Hmmm... It can be balanced if the fighter is damaged something like above 100% then the gravity effects would be more effective but if it's less then the gravity effect would be less effective it also can be used up or down or left or right you can also dodge it but shielding would still move you.
After thinking I think I now know who can be a gravity fighter, Devil from Devil world who is currently assist trophy.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
It's been a looooooong time since I stopped being invested much in Smash speculation, so posting here after that much time feels special to me.

Since that time I'm much less emotionally invested in video games in general, because I learned the hard way back in the Smash 4 DLC speculation days that I don't have to be angry at a video game not becoming the exact vision I had of it. Of course I still have my personal preferences about which characters I'd like to see in a new game, but I'm not gonna spend emotional energy in supporting them. Although I don't have a Switch myself, and don't know whether I'm eventually going to get one, I know two people who have one, so the future on Nintendo is going to be relevant to me regardless. So it made me wonder how the next Smash would be handled!

I used to think: since we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, then it sets the precedent of a major multiplayer Nintendo series being ported and enhanced rather than having the new game start a new generation of the series, especially since it's porting games from the poorly-sold, not-so-relevant Wii U to the very important Switch, which must get as many momentum as possible. So I thought, it's likely to be the same for Smash too! However, Smash 4 was also released on the 3DS, so there seems to be some key differences: MK8D gives the MK8 experience in handheld mode, and while the 3DS has a Mario Kart too, it is very different from MK8, having only a few courses in common with MK7. This makes the two experiences different, even though MK8D has more content overall, whereas SSB for Switch sounds like it would likely have a similar roster of playable characters. So if we consider a 3DS owner who has both MK7 and SSB3DS, they would have more to gain by getting MK8D rather than Smash for Switch; it also means that while only Wii U owners got to experience MK8 prior to the Deluxe version, Smash 4 has a 3DS version too which means many more people got to experience it. And of course the fact MK8D was released near the Switch release while SSB Switch hasn't been announced yet, just Reggie barely mentioned it. Assuming there's a Smash for Switch which is an enhanced port of Smash Wii U, considering the fact it hasn't been announced yet, I feel like it would release in early 2019 at least.

My thoughts were that SSB4 is going to get a Switch release, as an upgraded port with some enhancements, including a few new characters, some balancing (without massive moveset changes), some new stages, and probably a new game mode. However, thinking about the fact there's a 3DS version, I feel like the situation is a bit different from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pokkén Tournament, so what's my stance now? First, let's see what would make an enhanced Smash Wii U port for Switch interesting for someone with the 3DS version:

- Some new characters. The roster is likely to not be very different, but I'm pretty sure there's going to be a few new characters. I'm not expecting a lot though, seven at most I think.
- Better graphics. Obviously.
- A different set of stages. I'll assume that all the Wii U stages will be ported (not counting potential legal issues regarding IP ownership), rather than those from 3DS since the former have better quality assets to work on. I think we would have these, alongside a few additional stages: maybe some past stages from Brawl and earlier, maybe some 3DS exclusive stages, and some brand new stages for the sake of having representation for recent games. Considering there are 13 stages in common between the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash, there's going to be at least that number of stages in common between Smash 3DS and Smash Switch (once again, assuming we get Wii U stages + a few new stages, and not counting potential legal issues). Smash Wii U has 55 stages (let's count 54 instead since the Miiverse stage is likely to be cut due to being obsolete without Miiverse and basically being a reskinned Battlefield) so there's about 25% stages in common between Smash U and 3DS, and let's suppose we get, for example (completely arbitrary): four returning pre-SSB4 stages, three 3DS stages not on the Wii U version, and seven brand new stages. The ratios of stages in common between the 3DS version and that hypothetical Switch version would be about the same (actually slightly lower) than there's currently between Smash 3DS and Wii U.
- DLCs from Smash 4 available in the base game, again not counting potential cuts especially if there are legal issues with IP ownership. DLC for Smash 4 sold better on Wii U than 3DS (I remember it was said in a past Nintendo financial report), even though the Wii U version sold less, which means there's probably a large portion of 3DS players who didn't purchase DLC. If they didn't do by now, then it would become an incentive for them to buy the Switch version. Also it makes the shared stages aspect more nuanced, since many (actually, most) stages that are common between both versions are locked behind a DLC paywall.
- Different game modes. Maybe something exclusive to the Switch version, to distinguish the game from both the 3DS and Wii U versions. Maybe an upgraded Smash Run too? Sakurai said that he wanted players to be able to meet in that mode, but had to cut the idea because the 3DS was simply unable to do such a ressource-intensive thing. The Switch, being portable, is perfectly suited for that mode, which I believe was better received than Smash Tour, however porting it from 3DS would tke more time than porting something from Wii U.

I used to think that Smash would be one of those games ported to give the Switch momentum, similar to MK8D which is crying out loud "Hey everyone! That game was only available to the irrelevant Wii U so we're putting it on our brand new system we hope will do better, we're not going to wait for it to have that staple game!", but as I said Smash having a 3DS version makes things different. There's also the fact that the last DLC for MK8 went on sale almost one year earlier than the last DLC for Smash. After writing this post, I kinda feel like Smash 3DS has been the main reason why Smash for Switch haven't been announced yet, because unlike the Wii U that system actually sold well and isn't completely irrelevant yet, with its support probably lasting for some time before it slowly declines and the system's life ends during 2018. The DLCs and amiibos also helped keeping Smash 4 fresh for quite some time, with the last wave being less than 2 months old. Now my belief is that a new Smash could not have been used for the sake of giving the Switch momentum, and that it has a chance of being released once the 3DS' support finally dies.

My prediction: due to Sakurai being exhausted from Smash 4's development, including post-release DLC, and him taking some vacation, if the game is released as early as 2019 there's no choice other than making it an enhanced port similar to MK8D, and possibly that the development has already begun. If Smash Switch is indeed an enhanced port, an updated continuation of the fourth generation of Super Smash Bros. rather than a brand new thing, then we might have hope for no character cut, since recycled assets and relatively low amount of new content would make them unnecessary (not counting potential legal issues regardging IP ownership, but maybe it was negociated with the respective IP owners that third-parties would be used for a Smash 4 port? That would guarantee to have them back but that's just wild speculation from me). If it's a legit fifth generation of Smash, then speculation about the game would have to be approached in a completely different way. Until E3 2018 comes and proves me otherwise I'm personally in #TeamPort announced at said E3 and going to be released in the first half of 2019 with about half a dozen new characters, all stages from Wii U minus Miiverse and plus more than 10 additionl stages coming half from other games in the series and the other half being brand new. Also all the returning characters from 3DS and Wii U have their artwork recycled, just like the aesthetics which will stay the same compared to the Wii U version. The release less than one year after the announcement would be similar to Melee rather than how the pre-release hype period for Brawl and 3DS/Wii U was handled.

And of course I can't wait to be in the next year so everything I predicted is proven wrong once again :p

PS: Smash Switch is not gonna be called Smash Deluxe, that name is already taken by the Japanese version of Melee.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
DLC for Smash 4 sold better on Wii U than 3DS (I remember it was said in a past Nintendo financial report), even though the Wii U version sold less, which means there's probably a large portion of 3DS players who didn't purchase DLC.
Honestly, I don't find that hugely surprising just by the nature of the systems. With the Wii U, local multiplayer is a huge incentive to purchase all the characters. With the 3DS everyone has their own system so there's no real reason to buy characters if you don't want to play as them.

I personally only ever bought 2 of the DLC characters (Mewtwo, Ryu) on the 3DS. Had I the Wii U version and friends who played locally I'd have certainly bought all the characters.

Personally I feel if there's a port, taking the MK8 approach of including all DLC, adding a few new characters and fixing a mode (in this case, a better Single Player mode) is more than sufficient.

Mario Kart 8 was the reason I didn't get a Wii U. The Deluxe version fixed every problem I had with it and was the reason I got a Switch.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have news to show.
It's about Megaman.

Megaman 30th anniversary event

The 2017 Tokyo Game Show will play host to a special Mega Man 30th anniversary panel, Capcom announced. The panel will include new 30th anniversary details and special guests, including Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 producer Kazuhiro Tsuchiya:

"[September 24] 14:20 to 15:05 – Mega Man‘s 30th Anniversary is Almost Here! Stage – In December, the Mega Man series will reach its 30th anniversary. As we look towards the nearly here memorial year, we’ll look back on the Mega Man titles released so far and deliver the latest 30th anniversary celebration information. Featuring Kazuhiro Tsuchiya (producer) and guests America Zarigani, Chocolat Ikeda, and Ayana."
UPDATE
: The panel will be lived stream via Nico Nico. Bookmark this page!

As intriguing as all this sounds, be mindful of your expectations. But, man, would this every be a good opportunity to show off something new. We shall see!
What kind of surprises await in the Megaman Anniversary event?

Well, speaking of Megaman, i expected the Zero (From Megaman Zero) appear in the new Smash Bros for Switch, because he have a cool moveset using a Buster, Shield Boomerang, Triple Rod, Chain Rod, Recoil Rod and Z-Knuckle (is it making a kirby clone, knowing that Z-Knuckle can steal enemy weaponry?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom