• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What we are IRL doesn't matter at this point. The thing I told you to do is to not say I ignored you on purpose since i didn't talked to you before, so there is a misunderstanding

Talking about Waluigi being disabled as an At is just taking the problem on the wrong side
Why would sakurai put him in assist trophy in the first place then?

I think what happened to Ridley for Smash 5 could happen for Waluigi but only in another Smash
Otherwise Sakurai could have put Ridley as DLC in Smash 4 and disable Hazard Ridley right ?

People have to accept that if a character is choosen for a specific fonction in smash, it's almost garantee he won't do another, especially something as important as a character, it's just that he was not selected to be playable, that's it
I'm not sure comparing him with Ridley quite works as Ridley faced genuine design problems, it'd have been an even greater task to tackle that with the smaller DLC team and needing to keep a steady stream of content flowing at the same time. Chances are also that Sakurai only reassessed Ridley when drawing up the project plan for Ultimate, so it could be that he still didn't even consider Ridley a possibility during DLC.

With how many ATs that are in the game I don't think it'd be that shocking to see them just straight up remove Waluigi's AT in order to get him in as a character, same goes for any other ATs who might be popular. It would require a huge effort from his fanbase though, and it remains to be seen whether this reaction is just a flash in the pan or it'll lead to an actually strong campaign for him to get into the game, as popular as it seems like he is around social media I'm somewhat doubtful that they're willing to put up the fight for him, especially given that they'd practically have to support him for 6 months already knowing he's not in.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I just realized Samurai Goroh is the only rival character from Melee's intro thats not playable in smash yet

If F-Zero wasnt dead he probably would of been playable by now

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
This might just be me, but does anyone think Brawl's theme should come back as a track for Final Destination for this game?

That track is like a Smash anthem and in this celebration of the series, they should add it in.

D

Deleted member

The mechanics in MvCI made for a really fun fighting game, like SFV when it started out rough. But you're right. I think Capcom's content with just letting that ship sink.

In all honesty, I hope that game's failure leads to a Capcom vs. Something Else. Tatsunoko made for a great game, and the SNK games were fun. I'd rather see something totally new in a similar system to MvCI that won't get the same immediate scrutiny that a MvC game would get.
I want a Shonen Jump VS Capcom, that is too good to pass up.

There likely will be.

Comes with the territory of Smash Speculation.
Seeing how the ESRB Leak happened in August and Smash 3DS was released in September in Japan, anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled should watch out for November.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Now he feels like this:
WHOA! That really happened?

That's kinda awesome honestly.

Truth to be told, I still think Ridley looks a little weird but hey... At least I can make use of him being so big right now as he's a easy target for my F Airs, peanuts and bananas. :ultdiddy:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Captain Toad and the Toad used by Peach are said to be different characters though. So that's already a stronger reason to still believe in the Captain still making it then the conspiracy theories for Waluigi

Granted my optimism for Captain Toad has decreased since E3. But has actually nothing to do with either Toad having more animations in Peach and Daisy's moveset (Though it's nice to see him get more respect then simply a meatshield) nor Daisy's inclusion in general. It's more to do with what this game's focus seems to be. Bringing back all those veterans, plus the reveal of Ridley makes me think more general characters that have been long wanted by the fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, a playable Toad has been a consistent request since Melee. But they never quite reached Ridley, K. Rool, etc. levels of want it seems.

A playable Toad for me and many others would truly make the Mario representation feel complete I must admit. Kinda will always have that missing hole for some of us. But there are other franchises to consider and I can do with another Smash without a playable Toad if need be.

Right now though I'm thinking if he's not revealed next month for the release of his game. He might just not be playable. Though he could surprise us all by being in the base roster as a secret ala Bowser Jr. was. And if he's strangely absent from the entire game aside from the trophy gallery, he might be a DLC choice.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Man I just found Sakurai has an Opa Opa and Thunder Force toy in his collection
Now I know why he pushed sega to bring sega ages to switch

Now I hope Opa makes it into smash

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The most fan requested and oft talked about Mario characters have all had something done to them so far save Paper Mario and Geno.

Waluigi remains an assist trophy.

Daisy is an echo fighter.

Toad is increased in Peach and Daisy's movesets.

It's gonna come down to Geno and Paper Mario if there's another Mario rep that's based on fan requests.

Iridium

Smash Hero
WHOA! That really happened?

That's kinda awesome honestly.

Truth to be told, I still think Ridley looks a little weird but hey... At least I can make use of him being so big right now as he's a easy target for my F Airs, peanuts and bananas. :ultdiddy:
True! And I want to see how many f-airs I can land with :ultlink:, with how easily they combo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also I would main the crap out of Goomba.

I'd prefer Koopa Troopa.

But Goomba and Koopa Troopa are iconic henchmen of gaming that everyone knows.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai increased Toad in Peach's moveset for a reason.

And I don't think it bodes well for a playable Toad of any variety.

It literally screams ''See now he's actively fighting in the battle with her!"
"Yay me..."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The most fan requested and oft talked about Mario characters have all had something done to them so far save Paper Mario and Geno.

Waluigi remains an assist trophy.

Daisy is an echo fighter.

Toad is increased in Peach and Daisy's movesets.

It's gonna come down to Geno and Paper Mario if there's another Mario rep that's based on fan requests.
I got a feeling there'll be a total Mario newcomer but the question is which one, the fan favourite from the side-series that's been quiet for 25+ years or the fan favourite from the side-series that should have gone quiet some time ago.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
"Yay me..."
Don’t be down, Toad... :(

TBH it’s a better role than being a new AT, at least, since 1. he appears in all gameplay styles, not just casual items matches, and 2. the player gets to kinda actually directly control Toad during Peach’s / Daisy’s grabs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don’t be down, Toad... :(

TBH it’s a better role than being a new AT, at least, since 1. he appears in all gameplay styles, not just casual items matches, and 2. the player gets to kinda actually directly control Toad during Peach’s / Daisy’s grabs.
Also, Toad is more than just a flesh shield for Peach. That's some sort of promotion! And the animations Toad does makes it far more possible to mod him into a fighter I guess?

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I got a feeling there'll be a total Mario newcomer but the question is which one, the fan favourite from the side-series that's been quiet for 25+ years or the fan favourite from the side-series that should have gone quiet some time ago.
The answer is the fan favourite from the side series that's still going strong but neglecting its fan favourite.

Which is to say, Fawful.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Honestly, I still have my Wii U plugged into my living room TV. All these ports are great for people who skipped the Wii U, but my collection still works.

Also, I happen to really like SFV.
I'm just glad they released a remake for Okami again its relevancy could be just the break Amaterasu needs to possibly make it into Smash I'm hopeful at the very least. If they also made an Okami 2 in the distant future I'd be over the moon with joy.
QUESTION:

If you could choose a Arc System Works Character to enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which character would you choose?

Easy, One-Eyed Twin Lotus, and the strongest creature alive, Jubei.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Honestly just add (Captain) Toad and Geno since, as Smash 4 have shown, they don't care about how many reps a series has. :p

Throw in Paper Mario while you're at it too.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the Zelda cast look like they got changed pretty substantially. Link especially looks like he'll be pretty different, with the new detonating bombs mechanic and being able to pick up previously fired arrows. All of that on top of a new grab and increased reach show that Link's gonna be pretty different this go around.

While Zelda still has a lot of the same moves, a lot of the hitboxes and animations look pretty different, not to mention I think she might have a few new moves as well(?)

Ganondorf still shares stuff with Falcon, sure, but he looks waaaaay more unique than he ever has before; I truly do believe he's gonna play differently than just "a heavy Captain Falcon". While that element will still be there, all the changes given to him are gonna bring a lot more to the table, I think.
I you look closely Gannondorfs “new” sword attacks are attacks taken from other characters.

Last game Mario had bowser reworked, two completely new fighters, and a veteran return. On top of additions they have received every game.

Zelda fans have a good reason to be upset. Their additions are very have been terrible especially when you have hyrule warriors showing exactly what people want and what Zelda could provide.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Zelda fans have a good reason to be upset. Their additions are very have been terrible especially when you have hyrule warriors showing exactly what people want and what Zelda could provide.
I'm actually quite curious what differences Young Link and Toon Link have. Toon Link seems to have the basic bow, Young Link has a fire arrow that deals more damage, and Link has the dual arrows, but that seems to be the only notable difference outside of some smash attacks.

I wish Toon Link's recovery lets him maneuver on the ground like it did in Wind Waker, it'd be a good homage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What's funny is they added a sword to the Ganondorf that should be using dark magic. OoT Ganondorf never even pulled out a sword.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What's funny is they added a sword to the Ganondorf that should be using dark magic. OoT Ganondorf never even pulled out a sword.
He never really elbowed people either. That sword is from the GCN tech demo, which had OoT Ganon's design in it. I do agree Ganon needs a workaround on his attacks to not be a semi-clone anymore.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
News: Reggie Interviews About Ultimate, Melee, and ESports.
I think I am a little late but there is an interview of Reggie talking about the competitive Smash scene itself. He also talks about Ultimate in competitive play. Most noticably, Reggie said that there is a possibility for some sort of PRO CIRCUIT for Ultimate and Melee. He also talked about Melee such as Hungrybox, UCF, and a possibility for large prize pots. Seems like the competitive Smash community will be setting in a bright future.

Link: http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/23804948/qa-nintendo-e3-future-esports

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
So, without a doubt, there will be an event match that will play with Ridley's size, but what specifically might it be? The easy answer is just a mushroom effect, but I think either it will be magnified or you'll play as giant Samus fighting a horde of tiny Ridleys

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So, without a doubt, there will be an event match that will play with Ridley's size, but what specifically might it be? The easy answer is just a mushroom effect, but I think either it will be magnified or you'll play as giant Samus fighting a horde of tiny Ridleys
I vastly prefer that second suggestion

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Or a tiny Ridley taking on a hoard of giant Samuses.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Eh, to each his own. It's not like Nintendo hasn't hopped on the re-releasing and reamking bandwagon. How many Wii U ports have come to the Switch by now?
those re-releases happened becuase of how poorly the wiiu sold. most players missed those games. its not like they made botw and then re released it 2 years later like the last of us."remasted"

im not against remakes and rematsers im agianst cash grabs that are so blantant its insulting. RE 2 remake is long overdue and iuts been like 15-20 years thats fine. the entire destiny series is a copy paste/cut content., not gonna touch cod cutting its modes, the last of us transformation of God of war, and so much more. modern gaming has become less about what can be done vs what will turn a profit. not to mention newer games cater to people that should be told to get better at them rather than complain resulting in games being watered down.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
1529275530427.png

How I feel about the possible new Pokemon options in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Jeez there's a lot of strong opinions about the possibility of Pokemon newcomers in the Rate their chances thread, I wish there was a way to be well informed about all 4 potential options in regards to smash bros, the pokemon games, and the pokemon anime.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
He never really elbowed people either. That sword is from the GCN tech demo, which had OoT Ganon's design in it. I do agree Ganon needs a workaround on his attacks to not be a semi-clone anymore.
while OoT doesn't, TP Ganondorf did actually elbow.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Also Super Mario RPG was in the Mini SNES, so a new generation of players that got it now know who Geno is.
Oh snap, I entirely forgot about SMRPG's inclusion! That's a huge point, as well!

I still have to work on not getting too excited. I was around for the Geno hype before Brawl...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Who's more evil? Ridley or Ganondorf? My money's on Ridley.

Saw this conversation on another forum so I was curious what other's thought.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
View attachment 148764
How I feel about the possible new Pokemon options in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Jeez there's a lot of strong opinions about the possibility of Pokemon newcomers in the Rate their chances thread, I wish there was a way to be well informed about all 4 potential options in regards to smash bros, the pokemon games, and the pokemon anime.
How about none of the above? A 3rd generation Pokemon steals the spotlight instead.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who's more evil? Ridley or Ganondorf? My money's on Ridley.
Ganondorf is like Dr. Doom or Jobin Higashikata when it comes down how "evil" he truly is. Yes, he's ruthless, but his path and motivations are totally justifiable given his past as wanting what the Gerudos should have rightfully obtained. His hatred for others is also fueled more by Demise's curse, but Ganondorf's endgame motives are still with passion. Ridley just murdered for the sake of murdering, including Samus' parents.

Definitely Ridley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom