• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Who's more evil? Ridley or Ganondorf? My money's on Ridley.

Saw this conversation on another forum so I was curious what other's thought.
Ridley killed Mario. Ganondorf can't kill a boy in green tights or a Princess with no Authority.

In regards to Pokemon Trainer, I feel like him coming back kills Decidueye's chances. Onward to Mimikyu or Lycanroc

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
How about none of the above? A 3rd generation Pokemon steals the spotlight instead.
As much as I would love for Rayquaza to be playable, I wouldn't expect it (or any other Gen 3 pokemon to be honest...) to be in the spotlight this time. I would be happy to be wrong though as Gen 3 is my favorite generation.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly just add (Captain) Toad and Geno since, as Smash 4 have shown, they don't care about how many reps a series has. :p

Throw in Paper Mario while you're at it too.
Exactly. And they don’t even care how many 1st gen Pokemon are playable in Smash Ultimate. :052:

Really, being an 1st gen Pokemon should not be an obstacle for Meowth.

“Meowth! That’s right! I will get in that roster one way or another... and I will beat that twerp and steal Pikachu! And then the boss will say “Wow! Meowth really is powerful. More powerful than the combined forces of Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja!” and he will kick Persian to the curb and I will be his top cat again!”

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As much as I would love for Rayquaza to be playable, I wouldn't expect it (or any other Gen 3 pokemon to be honest...) to be in the spotlight this time. I would be happy to be wrong though as Gen 3 is my favorite generation.
I wouldn't expect Rayquaza to be playable. Deoxys is obviously out of the picture, so it would probably come down to the 3rd generation starters, or another popular 3rd generation Pokemon who isn't a legendary.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So one of the new songs announced for Ultimate was Vega's Theme from the SF2 series.

This raises 2 questions:

1. Could we see Vega as a playable character in Ultimate?

2. If so, will it be Claw or Dictator?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

1. If they wanted to put in a new SF rep it wouldn't be Vega
2. If the Official English name is Vega theme, then it's Claw. If it was only a translated name, then M. Bison being in Smash would actually raise a few eyebrows for plausibility since he's usually the main antagonist.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I wouldn't expect Rayquaza to be playable. Deoxys is obviously out of the picture, so it would probably come down to the 3rd generation starters, or another popular 3rd generation Pokemon who isn't a legendary.
Jokes aside, Sceptile/Gardevoir are clear frontrunners for Gen 3 if it were to get a representative. I really feel like there's no other serious options.
I just mentioned the idea of a playable rayquaza because a serpentine fighter would be cool and we haven't seen one in smash bros before.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
On the topic of Dixie Kong being an echo fighter, I have to admit she was one of the first I thought of but I've completely changed my mind and apologize. I was riding the whole Diddy doesn't use his tail train, but a Dixie who doesn't use her hair isn't an accurate representation of Dixie.

And part of me did it just to justify both a King K. Rool and Dixie inclusion. Now I'm more a one or the other as a unique newcomer, but we could get lucky.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Jokes aside, Sceptile/Gardevoir are clear frontrunners for Gen 3 if it were to get a representative. I really feel like there's no other serious options.
I just mentioned the idea of a playable rayquaza because a serpentine fighter would be cool and we haven't seen one in smash bros before.
There's also Blaziken to keep in mind.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
1. If they wanted to put in a new SF rep it wouldn't be Vega
2. If the Official English name is Vega theme, then it's Claw. If it was only a translated name, then M. Bison being in Smash would actually raise a few eyebrows for plausibility since he's usually the main antagonist.
I don't see why they wouldn't add either of them. Claw's agility and disjoints could work really well in Smash whereas Dictator would allow them to reuse Ganondorf FX assets for his psycho power. Besides, what's wrong with having antags rep your series in smash?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 148764
How I feel about the possible new Pokemon options in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Jeez there's a lot of strong opinions about the possibility of Pokemon newcomers in the Rate their chances thread, I wish there was a way to be well informed about all 4 potential options in regards to smash bros, the pokemon games, and the pokemon anime.
I made a post about this earlier, but here are some points for the three Pokemon newcomers:
Decidueye:
  • Starter Pokemon (Sakurai may have gotten it's art early)
  • Only new playable fighter in Pokken Tournament DX (The rest were from the arcade version)
  • Unique Z-Move in Sun/Moon (meaning Sakurai would have known of this earlier)
  • Unique Archer/Ghost Moveset
  • Some merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
Mimikyu:
Lycanroc:
  • Had two forms in Sun/Moon, had another form added in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • Ash's Ace Pokemon in the anime, like Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja
  • Unique Z-Move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Move
  • Merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
  • Unique Rock-Type/Quadruped Moveset
No Pokemon Rep:
  • Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle and Ivysaur) alongside Pichu were brought back (essentially 3 new Pokemon characters)
  • Sakurai doesn't give a s*** about series representation
  • Gen 7 may be skipped due to development timing
  • Pokemon will at least get a DLC rep.

My money's on Lycanroc or Mimikyu. They have the most prominence right now.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Oh snap, I entirely forgot about SMRPG's inclusion! That's a huge point, as well!

I still have to work on not getting too excited. I was around for the Geno hype before Brawl...
If Ridley has happen, everything is possible, but be careful.

This is my opinion.
Porky, for destroying the brain of the embodiment of evil, which would cause the end of the universe, just so he could murder his neighbor and prove him that he was cool, then traveling through dimensions and timelines, destroying them, brainwashing the people from those timelines and use them as a personal army, murdering tons of innocent people and destroying a world because he was bored.
Then Ridley for murdering innocent races of aliens and people for his own selfish interests and pretty much being a murderous psycho that ruined Samus's life and cannot just stay dead.
Then Ganondorf / Ganon for corrupting the world of light and ruining Hyrule (depends on the timeline) and probably murdering a lot of innocent people too.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
OK seriously, is there ANY reason we can't have BOTH Dixie and K. Rool as unique characters? Even if one is in the base game and one is DLC... both of them are very popular and requested, have tons of potential, and are super-iconic in their own right.

EDIT: Need I remind you all Donkey Kong is Nintendo's fifth best-selling franchise, only being beat out by The Legend of Zelda, the Wii series, Pokemon, and Mario.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Rayquaza is also entirely too big.
All of Smashboards said:
Please, tell me more about how a space dragon is too big to be playable in Smash
This is different. If you wanted to may RQ fit, he'd be a snake and not a dragon. At that rate, you might as well just go for Arbok (or the gen 5 grass starter).

Zeox

Smash Champion
OK seriously, is there ANY reason we can't have BOTH Dixie and K. Rool as unique characters? Even if one is in the base game and one is DLC... both of them are very popular and requested, have tons of potential, and are super-iconic in their own right.
No reason, but since the franchises that get multiple characters are mario, pokemon and fire emblem, people are used to that and they don't expect more than 1 DK rep.
I honestly want both.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I could play devil's advocate and come up with a few hypothetical motivations hal labs might have not to put both in, but at the end of the day the deciding factor is whether or not they want to bad enough, so no, there's not really any real reason.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm defintely only thinking base right now, have no idea what to think of dlc yet.

And sure you could have both, but it's hard enough convincing people Pokemon still deserves a newcomer :/

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't see why they wouldn't add either of them. Claw's agility and disjoints could work really well in Smash whereas Dictator would allow them to reuse Ganondorf FX assets for his psycho power. Besides, what's wrong with having antags rep your series in smash?
Vega isn't exactly what comes to mind as second pick for Street Fighter, that's more Ken, Akuma, Chun-Li or Guile territory IMO.
I never said M. Bison was a bad pick, I said he could be more plausible to people as a suggestion since he was the main villain of most Street Fighter games.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Here is something that hasn't been brought up yet I think. DK and Bowser were both in the demo. Does anyone know if they still have their animalistic noises or if they have their actual voice actors?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Here is something that hasn't been brought up yet I think. DK and Bowser were both in the demo. Does anyone know if they still have their animalistic noises or if they have their actual voice actors?
We know DK still uses his realistic voices.

That doesn't bode will for Bowser and Diddy.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Vega isn't exactly what comes to mind as second pick for Street Fighter, that's more Ken, Akuma, Chun-Li or Guile territory IMO.
I never said M. Bison was a bad pick, I said he could be more plausible to people as a suggestion since he was the main villain of most Street Fighter games.
Ah, my mistake then.

Mind you I still think Claw is the most adaptable of those characters for Smash's playstyle with the obvious exception of Ken, but he would probably just be an echo fighter.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

EDIT: Need I remind you all Donkey Kong is Nintendo's fifth best-selling franchise, only being beat out by The Legend of Zelda, the Wii series, Pokemon, and Mario.
Lifetime sales aren't everything, hence why no one is expecting another Wii series rep. It's pretty impressive that we even got two. To answer your question more directly, the reason it's not happening is that there are other series for which it would probably happen first (even Kirby, since it's been consistently active for a while). And Kirby might not even get one, so two for DK in an installment that explicitly is meant to not have that many newcomers is not really a safe thing to stake your hopes on.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unfortunately, the voice talents of Takashi Nagasako and Kenny James are nowhere to be heard.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
What's funny is they added a sword to the Ganondorf that should be using dark magic. OoT Ganondorf never even pulled out a sword.
Yes, goddamn this nettles me so much, lol. He's become so linked to a sword he never even had to begin with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Need I remind you all Donkey Kong is Nintendo's fifth best-selling franchise, only being beat out by The Legend of Zelda, the Wii series, Pokemon, and Mario.
Lifetime sales mean nothing when you have six reps just cause. :4corrin:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So one of the new songs announced for Ultimate was Vega's Theme from the SF2 series.

This raises 2 questions:

1. No, he's nowhere near as popular as the first six world warriors and Bison.

2. Dictator, since Smash needs more villains in spite of Wolf returning.

Sakurai said not to expect too many new challengers, so I don't think Sakurai is going to add more than one character from DK when it's clear we're getting only slightly more newcomers. He'd want to cover his bases as much as he can for a wide range of series that have already been, and will be represented.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I just made the perfect roster, you may not like it, but it is the perfect roster:
loss.png

I loss so much time with this stupid pun

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Really I'm just upset that everyone is now suddenly writing off Dixie as an echo fighter when in actuality she deserves more than that. All the echo fighters we have so far have made sense as echo fighters.

Lucina? A major plot point of Fire Emblem Awakening has her disguise herself as Marth. Not to mention she is a descendant of Marth iirc

Dark Pit? A literal clone of Pit in every sense of the word. While I think he could stand to be a bit more different, making him an echo makes sense.

Daisy? She shares very similar roles to Peach Super Mario Land and has not done much else otherwise.

Dixie however has tons of stuff to differentiate herself from Diddy. Making her an echo fighter, and in turn restricting use of her iconic hair, is taking away the one appeal she has as a character, both in Donkey Kong and Smash. I would much rather have her or K. Rool rather than have both and have Dixie end up getting half-***ed

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, I get what you're saying. Loud and clear on all fronts.

Shiftry for Ultimate.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Really I'm just upset that everyone is now suddenly writing off Dixie as an echo fighter when in actuality she deserves more than that. All the echo fighters we have so far have made sense as echo fighters.

Dixie however has tons of stuff to differentiate herself from Diddy. Making her an echo fighter, and in turn restricting use of her iconic hair, is taking away the one appeal she has as a character, both in Donkey Kong and Smash. I would much rather have her or K. Rool rather than have both and have Dixie end up getting half-***ed
Chalk it up to lack of creativity.

Troykv

Smash Master

Ganondorf is kind of well-intentioned extremist turned evil for his own actions and his curse (his ever-evolving hatred for the Hylian Royal Family).

Ridley is a vicious and cruel being without an real reason to be like that; I think Ridley is worse.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
No sign of her in Xenoblade 2 dlc, just Shulk and Fiora. It kind of hurts her chances.
I know this is a late response, but...

Moosehunter discovered Elma in the game's code thanks to the latest DLC update. The coded stats are almost exactly the same as in XCX, including one of her arts, the Hundred Shells.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman

Yes because sakurai has clearly shown that is a character does not have a future he is very likely to not put them in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay.

I'm seeing a lot of people fighting for Dixie to not be an Echo Fighter and that's noble. I think she deserves more as well.

But you're flat out wrong if you think Dark Pit, Lucina, and Daisy only work as Echo Fighters.

All three have things that could make them unique fighters.

Dark Pit uses different instruments and what not in the story of Uprising than Pit. There's stuff to make him unique.

Lucina while a descendant of Marth? She's not limited to the Falchion no more than Chrom is. There's plenty of other things they could have done to make her more unique.

Daisy could have been a fully Mario spin-off based fighter who used things from the sports games, Mario Party, and Mario Kart to be a fighter. Instead she is Peach's echo fighter.

So no being able to be unique doesn't keep you from being an Echo Fighter.

The only common theme between Echo Fighter is a slightly similar build or look to their counter part.

Which sadly Dixie does have. She's a small chimp just like Diddy. You might not want it to happen? But it has a likelyhood of happening. Her chance to be unique be damned.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Okay.

I'm seeing a lot of people fighting for Dixie to not be an Echo Fighter and that's noble. I think she deserves more.

But you're flat out wrong if you think Dark Pit, Lucina, and Daisy only work as Echo Fighters.

All three have things that could make them unique fighters.

Dark Pit uses different instruments and what not in the story of Uprising than Pit. There's stuff to make him unique.

Lucina while a descendant of Marth? She's not limited to the Falchion no more than Chrom is. There's plenty of other things they could have done to make her more unique.

Daisy could have been a fully Mario spin-off based fighter who used things from the sports games, Mario Party, and Mario Kart to fighter. Instead she is Peach's echo fighter.

So no being able to be unique doesn't keep you from being an Echo Fighter.

The only common theme between Echo Fighter is a slightly similar build or look to their counter part.

Which sadly Dixie does have. She's a small chimp just like Diddy. You might not want it to happen? But it has a likelyhood of happening. Her chance to be unique be damned.
I'm not saying they only work as echo fighters. I'm saying that the decision to make them echo fighters makes sense.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I made a post about this earlier, but here are some points for the three Pokemon newcomers:
Decidueye:
  • Starter Pokemon (Sakurai may have gotten it's art early)
  • Only new playable fighter in Pokken Tournament DX (The rest were from the arcade version)
  • Unique Z-Move in Sun/Moon (meaning Sakurai would have known of this earlier)
  • Unique Archer/Ghost Moveset
  • Some merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
Mimikyu:
Lycanroc:
  • Had two forms in Sun/Moon, had another form added in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • Ash's Ace Pokemon in the anime, like Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja
  • Unique Z-Move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Move
  • Merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
  • Unique Rock-Type/Quadruped Moveset
No Pokemon Rep:
  • Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle and Ivysaur) alongside Pichu were brought back (essentially 3 new Pokemon characters)
  • Sakurai doesn't give a s*** about series representation
  • Gen 7 may be skipped due to development timing
  • Pokemon will at least get a DLC rep.

My money's on Lycanroc or Mimikyu. They have the most prominence right now.
Good analysis money's on Mimikyu there's simply too much for it to ignore.

Inceniroar is probably going to be the end of the series ace.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not saying they only work as echo fighters. I'm saying that the decision to make them echo fighters makes sense.
As does the decision to make Dixie one if it happens. There's a line of thinking that does mean it could work. Yes, it eliminates some of her unique things, but there's most certainly a chance it could happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom