• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Why do you say I half read anything? i were not talking to you in particular in the first place, i don't know what you're talking about

And the excuse about the same character on screen is just not the same. Of cours smash doesnt make sense, but by game design issue, you cant just have the same entity as a playable character and as an item if they can occure at the same time, what's the next step ? Waluigi as a stage?
I said you half-read because in the post you quoted I explained a couple very easy ways around that issue...which you've now ignored twice. I'm not gonna bother retyping it for a third time because you'll just ignore it again.

Yes, make Waluigi a stage, too. Why not? (Are you real.)

I'm not making an "excuse" (...) you said Waluigi can't be a character because of the trophy then there would be two, and that would just be too weird. I said in response: EIGHT PLAYER SMASH EXISTS. (Before, you reply to this: finish reading the post you just quoted.) This isn't hard.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
My theory is that we've seven characters left to see. I'm thinking we're going to be seeing one in July, August, September, October, and November. The remaining two would either be paired up with another newcomer they share the same series with, simply shown off in addition or as clones, or both be shown with another character if there's an event large enough to call for three reveals.

Exact ratio of newcomer to clone could vary, but I'm thinking at least five completely new, non-clone characters.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
At the current moment, I do believe Vergeben's statement of 6 newcomers that have yet to be revealed. Those half-dozen characters that have yet to be revealed according to Vergeben I feel will all be unique newcomers revealed. I do not see Sakurai revealing Echos solely via trailers. Maybe we could see a King K. Rool trailer with Dixie also revealed, but I do not see Echoes being given their own trailers.
Question, I noticed your signature. Any reason why you changed your opinion on Bandana Dee's chances? Loving the addition of Lip though.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
So we've had Star Fox codecs, Palutena's Guidance, and now we can only assume Snake's legendary Codec Call will be returning. Do you think there are any other series that could/should provide a new codec in addition for this game? I'm not sure if I can come up with any great ones, a Pokedex could be cool with Pokemon Trainer but wouldn't really be that fun or clever, Doc Louis coaching Little Mac on opponents could be good. I'm more than content if we get Codec Calls back, but it's fun to think about if there are any other options as well.
Well, one idea I had is something that works for the Inklings. The Inklings could trigger special dialogue from the Squid Sisters (or Off the Hook), but instead of focusing on characters they would give tips for the current stage you're playing on. (Similar to how the Inkopolis News operates in the Splatoon series.)

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I said you half-read because in the post you quoted I explained a couple very easy ways around that issue...which you've now ignored twice. I'm not gonna bother retyping it for a third time because you'll just ignore it again.

Yes, make Waluigi a stage, too. Why not? (Are you real.)

I'm not making an "excuse" (...) you said Waluigi can't be a character because if the trophy then there would be too and that would just be too weird. I said, EIGHT PLAYER SMASH EXISTS. (Before, you reply to this: finish reading the post you just quoted.) This isn't hard.
You must mistake me for another
I quoted nobody when I talked about Waluigi
Don't accuse me for things i didn't do,I didn't read all the thread and had no notifications from you before
The only time I talked to you was the message you just quoted, any other thing is something unintentional or a mistake from you
So calm down about that

And as someone stated, there is a reason why characters have 8 different colors

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Well, one idea I had is something that works for the Inklings. The Inklings could trigger special dialogue from the Squid Sisters (or Off the Hook), but instead of focusing on characters they would give tips for the current stage you're playing on. (Similar to how the Inkopolis News operates in the Splatoon series.)
I like the stage breakdown idea a lot actually

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
And as someone stated, there is a reason why characters have 8 different colors
And as another stated, me, they could just disable the Waluigi trophy for eight player OR have the Waluigi trophy use one of the unused Palettes. Or as someone else suggested just disable the trophy summon for Waluigi when there is a playable Waluigi in the game.

"Calm down" Yeah, ok random guy on the internet who is completely incapable of figuring out how I am irl while typing this. I'm a ranter. That doesn't mean I'm keyboarding away in anger. I just type alot. Do me a solid and look up why assuming is wrong instead of telling strangers on the internet what to do.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
At the current moment, I do believe Vergeben's statement of 6 newcomers that have yet to be revealed. Those half-dozen characters that have yet to be revealed according to Vergeben I feel will all be unique newcomers revealed. I do not see Sakurai revealing Echos solely via trailers. Maybe we could see a King K. Rool trailer with Dixie also revealed, but I do not see Echoes being given their own trailers.
I think it's very likely that echoes would be secret characters. They feel like bonuses like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were.

And then there's the example that Lucina was thrown in a relevant trailer, so yea totally see this.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I'd like to see the Champions from Breath of the Wild get in on the fun as far additional banter goes. At least, I'd like to see what Revali has to say in regards to Falco.

Yokai Watch made a large enough impact in Japan that I could see Sakurai considering Jibanyan for Smash, although from what I heard, it didn't do as well in the West though...

Perhaps Assist Trophy if he's going that direction?
It's not providing any competition to the likes of Pokemon over here, sure, but it was still popular enough to get all the games and anime localized as well as several toy releases so it's certainly not nothing. Pretty much all of our wanted newcomers lists include several characters with way less exposure.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah. I don't believe echo's will steal anyones spotlight. They might share trailers with others, just get a small trailer on YouTube (20 second ones) or they will be secrets in the game.

Btw, I love your signature now. 4 of my most wanted newecomers on it. Nice!
Yep, in fact, Lucina and Dark Pit (kind of) were revealed as part of another character's reveal (Robin and Palutena respectively)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm also somewhat still trusting vergeben, i think the 12x6 CSS being full with 7 more and him saying at least a half dozen (6) more unrevealed after simon, so i'm sticking with 7 as my prediction with one of them being an echo.

my guess for the rest of the newcomers is: Simon Belmont / K Rool / Dixie Kong (semi clone) / Waddle Dee / Elma / Geno / Chrom (echo)

thats just my prediction of who and how many i think are most likely right now. there are other characters like Captain Toad and Impa i think have a very good shot and i actively WANT but i'm going with those 7 for now i think they have the best chance for various reasons.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Question, I noticed your signature. Any reason why you changed your opinion on Bandana Dee's chances? Loving the addition of Lip though.
I am still finalizing my newcomer predictions at the moment, but the new roster direction has gotten to change my viewpoints on many unique newcomers. I still need time to think about who I should add, and I could bring back Dee. It is kind of a tie between Professor Layton, Steve, and Bandanna Dee right now for who I should add as the 12th unique newcomer, but I am also kinda stuck on whether or not the 11 newcomers I have is too much.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The issue isn't that characters can't have multiple roles in the game, but once they have a role Sakurai sees them as represented in the game in some capacity. Having a playable character with a 2nd model that isn't as well-made cheapens that character imo.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
I just posted this same comment on another thread but I will leave the same question here too:

#1,086
How many characters do we think Sakurai can fit into this game? 69? 70? 75? 123?

Personally, I see him landing somewhere around 72.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
1st Party
Chibi-Robo because he has so much potential and my own personal attachment to him
Isabelle, Dillon, Ashley, Mimikyu, and Wonder Red both because I'd want more cartoony characters and because I like them
King K Rool, Waluigi, and Bandanna Dee because I think their fans deserve to have them
And Boshi for Zinith

3rd Party
Banjo Kazooie because of how at home he would feel
Rayman, Sora, Travis, and Quote because a few of my close friends want them.

Most of my wishlist involves pleasing others, it seems

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Nintendo:
-Captain Syrup
-Rhythm Wrestler
-Dr. Coyle
-Magolor
-Sami
-Meowth
-Anna
-idk anymore

3rd party
-Tails/Knux/Eggman
-Opa-Opa
-Arle
-Pheonix Wright
-Slime

Im fine with anyone at this point, if any of these got in it would be a cherry on top

D

Deleted member

I say this as someone whose most wanted character for this game was Waluigi:

While it's nice to see that people are becoming more vocal about their support for Waluigi in these times, a stark contrast to when I was a Waluigi supporter back in the Brawl days...
...the conspiracy theories, the mental hoops being jumped through to say how he can still be playable despite being shown off an Assist, etc....
....that isn't so pleasant to see.

As someone who was part of the pro-Ridley side in the Smash 4 speculation days, seeing this kind of behavior from the pro-Waluigi side gives me bad memories....
Please, for the sake of everyone, let's keep realities in check while still supporting the lanky purple trickster for the future. Waluigi Time is not now. But if Ridley is anything to go by, it could be Waluigi Time someday. Even if someone like me who has been waiting to see it happen for over a decade now won't be part of the community when it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
QUESTION:

If you could choose a SNK Character to enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which character would you choose?

Terry Bogard. He's got the Engrish, the flashy moves and some sick themes to make it all work.

We can't have Black Manta playable as DLC guys, because he's already part of a stage transition.
View attachment 148746
I know Sakurai might have different feelings regarding this, but this is an instance of a big budget fighting game ignoring logic, just to make fans happy.
So you're saying Protoman has a chance? A very slight chance, but a chance.

Not going to lie, I don't really understand the desire for echo characters. It seems like nobody really liked clones prior to them being called echo fighters, but now that they have a name people want the roster flooded with them. I just don't get it... It feels like they'd just clutter the roster, and they take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. Marth feels far less unique if you have a character that's nearly an exact clone of him, and the only difference is that said clone has slightly different properties on their moves. What makes it even worse is that I can totally think of unique move-sets for some of the characters recommend as echoes.
All joking aside, I would also say that is has to do with the fact that this roster will have less new editions, so people are probably expecting more clones, especially since you probably wouldn't make up a term for them if only one new clone is being added.

I don't really want too many more of them, but I do expect another 2 or so to pop-up before the game is released.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I am still finalizing my newcomer predictions at the moment, but the new roster direction has gotten to change my viewpoints on many unique newcomers. I still need time to think about who I should add, and I could bring back Dee. It is kind of a tie between Professor Layton, Steve, and Bandanna Dee right now for who I should add as the 12th unique newcomer, but I am also kinda stuck on whether or not the 11 newcomers I have is too much.
Fair enough, the options are definitley tighter this time around. Really hoping our star ally makes it in.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Anyone ever look at the rate their chances thread, see a character get close to 0% from most people, and then begin to really hope they get in to shock people. I really hope we get some more characters to surprise people.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, if there was a tier list right now, for the characters we have seen, what do you think it would look like? From what I have seen, Pikachu would be next to broken with a great recovery, excellent edgeguarding capabilities and combo game , with weight most likely being his worst weakness.

Anyone ever look at the rate their chances thread, see a character get close to 0% from most people, and then begin to really hope they get in to shock people. I really hope we get some more characters to surprise people.
Definitely. I remember the crowd of people who wanted to see Skull Kid playable, but the support has been significantly more quiet.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Completely unrelated to the current topic, but I don't like this new trend of people writing Dixie off as an Echo Fighter just so we can get K. Rool as a unique newcomer.

Honestly, I'd rather get only one of the two as a unique character and wait until the next Smash game for the next. Both characters deserve to be unique, and I don't want people rushing Dixie Kong just so they can say, "Okay, Dixie's in Smash! It's K. Rool's turn now!"

Let me guess. Mimikyu?

I gave the little raggedy sheet a zero too, but I guess I can relate to your feelings. No one gives the Champions the time of day, and I'd be ecstatic to see one get in Smash just so I can smugly sit back and watch everyone complain that Impa or Skull kid didn't get in first.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Completely unrelated to the current topic, but I don't like this new trend of people writing Dixie off as an Echo Fighter just so we can get K. Rool as a unique newcomer.

Honestly, I'd rather get only one of the two as a unique character and wait until the next Smash game for the next. Both characters deserve to be unique, and I don't want people rushing Dixie Kong just so they can say, "Okay, Dixie's in Smash! It's K. Rool's turn now!"

Let me guess. Mimikyu?

I gave the little raggedy sheet a zero too, but I guess I can relate to your feelings. No one gives the Champions the time of day, and I'd be ecstatic to see one get in Smash just so I can smugly sit back and watch everyone complain that Impa or Skull kid didn't get in first.
Well it's not much of a guess with my signature XD (unless you're on mobile). But it's less about being smug or watching people complain, I'd actually hate to see people complain about a new unique character I just want people to be surprised and not just get every character they assumed (assumed, not want. Different). Same way with any of the champions , it would be so cool to see one get in because not many expect it.

I like surprising smash characters, not bad/stupid/or random ones, just surprising ones.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
feeling more like this time being smash ultimate and the fact ridley is playable and there was the smash ballot etc... its gonna be fan favorites and highly requested characters for the most part if not entirely. Sakurais had his fun with past rosters but i think he'll give us pretty close to whats expected, those last few very expected characters this time and call it a day. This one just feels like such a love letter to the fans already and with taking the time to get everyone back it just seems like if he had some wacky character up his sleeve he wouldnt be prioritizing the cut veterans and stuff. he care what we want and not how he can trick and surprise us...beyond the surprise of actually getting what the majority wants.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Because Rodin is holding back. People who know Rodin knows this isn't him at his best.

Plus if you do his father form, you might as well make him a boss
i mean rodin and bayo are both messing around in smash so that makes sense. bayo is only serious in her final smash and her smash attacks.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well it's not much of a guess with my signature XD (unless you're on mobile). But it's less about being smug or watching people complain, I'd actually hate to see people complain about a new unique character I just want people to be surprised and not just get every character they assumed (assumed, not want. Different). Same way with any of the champions , it would be so cool to see one get in because not many expect it.

I like surprising smash characters, not bad/stupid/or random ones, just surprising ones.
Well, you're definitely a better person than me. I like surprising characters, but I genuinely do enjoy seeing people overreact to the reveals of less popular characters who I thought should get in Smash.

Rosalina was a big one. Lots of people weren't happy that the space princess got in over Toad, Daisy, Waluigi and (at the time), Bowser Jr.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Oddest thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Assist have air dodges?
Can we just take a moment to admire the absurdity of that screenshot? A fighting game in which Ridley, Bayonetta, Solid Snake and a squid kid fight each other to the death.

Man, the modern era of gaming is great.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As far as Nintendo characters I want in this new game, not too many, I got Mac last game and Ridley this time, so I'm good.

Spring Man
Isaac (yeah, still rooting for him)
Incineroar or Buzzwole, so we have a legit wrestler. Yeah that's it.

I had a lot more apathy for the new characters in this game, especially Pokemon but after giving it some more thought, I see either of these two as the best chance for getting the wrestler archetype I've wanted since before Smash 4.

For third party characters

Simon Belmont
Another Fighting Game Character. Tekken or MK if I wanted to be more picky.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I keep thinking about all those zeroes Young Link got. People were straight up convinced Toon Link totally replaced him, like they were saying it would be impossible for them to coexist.
lol

blackghost

Smash Champion
Can we just take a moment to admire the absurdity of that screenshot? A fighting game in which Ridley, Bayonetta, Solid Snake and a squid kid fight each other to the death.

Man, the modern era of gaming is great.
Correction NINTENDO modern era is great. these other companies are lacking. thats why they keep doing remakes and remasters.....

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I keep thinking about all those zeroes Young Link got. People were straight up convinced Toon Link totally replaced him, like they were saying it would be impossible for them to coexist.
lol
I wish I could remember who so I could tag them, but there was someone in RTC who said Ivysaur and Squirtle would only come back if every character ever in Smash returned, which they gave a pretty low likelihood. They looked back on that now with fondness, it's incredible how much everything has changed.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Correction NINTENDO modern era is great. these other companies are lacking. thats why they keep doing remakes and remasters.....
I mean Nintendo is great and all, but need I remind you of all the Zelda Wii U and 3DS remakes, the Tropical Freeze port, the Bayonetta ports, the Star Fox 64 remake, the Wooly World and Mario Maker 3DS ports, the Mario Kart 8 port, the two Captain Toad ports, the Mario and Luigi remakes, and the Luigi's Mansion port? Not to mention the full scale reimaginings of Samus Returns and Shadows of Valentia.

To say Nintendo doesn't often do remakes or ports is disingenuous.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Still a bit hesitant to fully trust Vergeben but this is believable to me. I'm waiting for him to actually name names though. And of course if there isn't someone I want he's fake. :smash:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Eh, to each his own. It's not like Nintendo hasn't hopped on the re-releasing and reamking bandwagon. How many Wii U ports have come to the Switch by now?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Capcom COULD be starting their redemption arc though.

Mega Man 11
Monster Hunter World
RE 2 Remake and people like RE7.
DMC5

It's just their fighting game division that's lacking.

Eh, to each his own. It's not like Nintendo hasn't hopped on the re-releasing and reamking bandwagon. How many Wii U ports have come to the Switch by now?
Not enough until we get Wonderful 101 I guess.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Capcom COULD be starting their redemption arc though.

Mega Man 11
Monster Hunter World
RE 2 Remake and people like RE7.
DMC5

It's just their fighting game division that's lacking.

Not enough until we get Wonderful 101 I guess.
Honestly, I still have my Wii U plugged into my living room TV. All these ports are great for people who skipped the Wii U, but my collection still works.

Also, I happen to really like SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom