• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Not to harm any Waluigi fan there but come on, there won't be a Waluigi playable character AND a Waluigi assist trophy in the same game, not even as DLC, what the hell would happen when you play Waluigi and enable assist trophies.
It would just feels off
The reason why Daisy got playable was because she could be an echoe of an existing fighter, and no one fit the bill for Waluigi.
If the assist trophy was announce in the direct, it won't be cut in the final game, like some change from the demo built, cause he was showcase in the direct.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'd also say, Dead or Alive. It has been on a Nintendo console, and I think Kasumi is recognizable enough.
Ryu Hayabusa has much more pull than Kasumi since he has Ninja Gaiden to fall back on and that franchise was iconic in some way to Nintendo back in the NES/SNES days

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Not to harm any Waluigi fan there but come on, there won't be a Waluigi playable character AND a Waluigi assist trophy in the same game, not even as DLC, what the hell would happen when you play Waluigi and enable assist trophies.
It would just feels off
The reason why Daisy got playable was because she could be an echoe of an existing fighter, and no one fit the bill for Waluigi.
If the assist trophy was announce in the direct, it won't be cut in the final game, like some change from the demo built, cause he was showcase in the direct.
I know man everything feels so wrong we when have 8 Bowser's on screen at the same time. What was Sakurai thinking when he let multiple of the same character on screen at the same time in every game mode? Literally unplayable.

Also, I said that and I'm not even much of a Waluigi fan. The internet wanted Wolf and Sakurai brought every veteran back. Now he says this game is the "Ultimate Smash game" but is also going to ignore the fan demand of just one easily accessible Mario character? Yeah, totally, no chance that'll ever happen. Not like disabling a single trophy summon is so easy I can do it or anything.

EDIT: You like half-read what I said and I'm fairly annoyed. DLC. As in, not base game but after the base game. No one said they'll disable his trophy before release...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, while Waluigi is sad, I think the true travesty is that we didn't get to see Dedede get swole for his Final Smash.

Buff Dedede for Smash and for new Bayo level S-Tier. The true hero we need AND deserve. :4dedede:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I believe when asked he said he wasn't sure if it included them. Someone clarify?

I'm sure it does though because they seem to be getting their own spots and treated like newcomers so I don't think they would be separated in that count.

He did not say Castlevania this Wednesday. HOWEVER, he said Konami would reveal a Castlevania game for the Switch at E3. So far they haven't but there was something revealed behind closed doors that will supposedly be revealed Wednesday. So if it's Castlevania, Vergeben might be on it. If it's not then Vergeben either has mixed info or was just piggybacking.
Where did you found this information about the Game on Wednesday?

Zeox

Smash Champion
I know man everything feels so wrong we when have 8 Bowser's on screen at the same time. What was Sakurai thinking when he let multiple of the same character on screen at the same time in every game mode? Literally unplayable.
That's why you cannot choose the same color for bowser, because if they were all the exact same model and the exact same color it would be a mess and literally unplayable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We can't have Black Manta playable as DLC guys, because he's already part of a stage transition.
IMG_1496.PNG

I know Sakurai might have different feelings regarding this, but this is an instance of a big budget fighting game ignoring logic, just to make fans happy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's why you cannot choose the same color for bowser, because if they were all the exact same model and the exact same color it would be a mess and literally unplayable.
They do bring up a good point about disabling the AT, though. I don't know how easy or hard it would be, but I imagine it's doable, it just depends on if Sakurai will do it or not. I don't think he will, but eh, anything's possible.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I can't ever tell if you are memeing.

Thats why I suggested they disable the trophy by the time they released Waluigi. Seriously, can we all read a full post before replying? I'm really not trying to be a jerk but I shouldn't have to ask for someone to read my full message before they attempt to make a half-decent response.

Even if they didn't they could have it disabled in 8 player and if 4 Waluigis are duking it out in regular Smash then the trophy could use an alternate color. I've made some huge reaches on here in the past and this isn't one of them.

EDIT: I'm done with this discussion. I don't care enough about Waluigi to argue for him any more than I already have.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I want Amaterasu as a Duck Hunt clone.
But why regulate her as a clone? Amaterasu is more than unique enough to be a individual newcomer. Giving her the position of a clone just feels like a waste of a character that has a variety of moves and unique abilities to bring to the table.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We can't have Black Manta playable as DLC guys, because he's already part of a stage transition.
View attachment 148746
I know Sakurai might have different feelings regarding this, but this is an instance of a big budget fighting game ignoring logic, just to make fans happy.
Or it could just be the same thing as Waluigi not being available as an assist while playing as Waluigi? I mean, look at the Spirit Tracks stage. You get Alfonzo when you play as Toon Link, it seems like a simple thing you can implement. I'm not saying Waluigi definitely has a chance still, but the option is easily there to implement. It's just a matter of daddy sakurai using it or not.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But why regulate her as a clone? Amaterasu is more than unique enough to be a individual newcomer. Giving her the position of a clone just feels like a waste of a character that has a variety of moves and unique abilities to bring to the table.
You can literally make this argument about any character in existence. Dark Pit has enough material to be made into a completely unique fighter.

EDIT: Not saying Amaterasu should be a clone of Duck Hunt, btw. That just sounds friggin' weird.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hes baiting us by showing Waluigi as an AT.
Its easy, just remove him as a AT. Simple as that.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thoughts on theses

Master Hand as a playable character

Crazy Hand as an echo of Master

Tabuu as a character

Ken as an echo of Ryu

Bayonetta appearing in a trailer for Ashely

Springman fighting Little mac in his trailer

BWD opposing someone like Ridley in his trailer.

Wario stealing from K Rool in his trailer.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to lie, I've never been the biggest Nintendo fan. I only bought a Switch to play Smash & to play 3rd party games on the go. As a result, there are no characters that I really want to see in the game. The one character that I did want is already back in (Snake). There is one character I'd like to see, but he's a western third party character who's not highly requested so I'm not even going to entertain the idea. At this point, I'm more excited for new modes more than anything else.

Zeox

Smash Champion
It seems Saturdays and Sundays there are no new "character of the day"... mmhh...
which means, if we calculate the days that are left from here to december 7, without Saturdays and Sundays, and if the number doesn't sound too crazy, that could be the total number of characters that will be in this new smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It was a joke.
Guys, just ignore me if I say something stupid, I suck at jokes.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Thoughts on theses
No.
Tabuu as a character
Would be cool but he'd have to be completely different from his boss form, which takes away the point.....so no.

Ken as an echo of Ryu
A million times yes to the second two. I don't care if Ken makes it in. I'll take him over Evil Ryu.

Zeox

Smash Champion
It seems Saturdays and Sundays there are no new "character of the day"... mmhh...
which means, if we calculate the days that are left from here to december 7, without Saturdays and Sundays, and if the number doesn't sound too crazy, that could be the total number of characters that will be in this new smash.
Nevermind I tried to calculate and the number was, indeed, too crazy

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Where did you found this information about the Game on Wednesday?
It's info from Gamekult, a French Gaming media site. Unfortunately I don't know any French so I'm basing it off what I've seen on Resetera.

Very possible nothing gets revealed on Wednesday. Just important to know that if nothing gets revealed for Castlevania, Vergeben's sources get more shakey.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Haha, not in terms of a dragon but someone imposing to contrast with him being adorable.
Blue-Eyes is a girl
A million times yes to the second two. I don't care if Ken makes it in. I'll take him over Evil Ryu.
Just have Dan be Ryu's echo. :4pacman: What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
No.
Would be cool but he'd have to be completely different from his boss form, which takes away the point.....so no.

I really want to see Little Mac bob and weave through Springman only to get bounced back by his parry.

Also, does Ashley dance?

Yes she does

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Thoughts on theses

Tabuu as a character

Ken as an echo of Ryu

BWD opposing someone like Ridley in his trailer.

Wario stealing from K Rool in his trailer.
Generally, I don't think Master & Crazy have a big shot at being playable characters, they'd require a lot of changes in order to be grabbable, hit easier, and be KO'd in a more traditional manner. Now, if Ultimate introduces a boss mode where one player can fight others as a boss, that would radical. (I also think Crazy Hand's powers are too different from Master's to be an Echo).

Tabuu would be easier to implement as a playable character but has way less significance than the Hands or Master Core, only appearing for one fight in the series. Plus, I don't think Smash Bros. needs to represent itself with a playable character (same goes for above)

Ken as an echo of Ryu works well enough for me as a non-SF fan, but others might have problems with it.

I like the concept of the witches coming together but I think they're too tonally different to make a coherent trailer. I'd imagine some smaller fighters being experimented on or the easy way out with Wario being in her trailer.

I would expect nothing except Little Mac and Spring Man fighting. It was meant to be.

I love the idea of Bandana Dee showing up in a huge fight and tapping someone like Bowser or Ridley before charging up a Megaton Punch and KOing them.

I would enjoy watching Wario gathering all this gold from a horde as heavy footsteps start to shake the ground, Wario turning around to see K. Rool. However, I feel like Rool needs a more theatrical entrance to the series than that.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Fun game!

Nintendo characters:

1) Mike Jones
2) King K Rool
3) Fawful
4) Zoda
5) bandana Dee
6) Andy
7) Ice Hockey Player with adjustable size
8) Geno
9) Vaati
10) Medusa

Third Parties
1) Bonk
2) Richter Belmont
3) Sora
4) Crono
5) Bill Reiser (Contra Guy)

Game Modes
1) Smash Run with many stages,
2) Smash tour,
3) Subspace emissary part 2
4) Subspace emissary part 1 (unlockable if you beat part 2)
5) Break the Targets
6) Home Run Contest
7) Race to the Finish
8) Board the Platforms
9) trophy collection
10) that streetpass game 3ds had
11) Brawl
12) EIght player brawl
13) classic
14) all star
15) adventure (melee clone)
16) Boss Rush (Boss Rush of SSE part 2)
17) Boss Rush 2 ( Boss Rush of SSE part 1)
18) True Boss Rush (Both SSEs.)
19) Vs Boss Mode (Asynchronous multiplayer where one player plays as a Smash brothers boss character)
20) Event Matches (all of them. From melee, brawl, 3ds, Wii U, and some new ones)
I think i would **** myself if he revealed these many modes. Cool btw

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie, I don't really understand the desire for echo characters. It seems like nobody really liked clones prior to them being called echo fighters, but now that they have a name people want the roster flooded with them. I just don't get it... It feels like they'd just clutter the roster, and they take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. Marth feels far less unique if you have a character that's nearly an exact clone of him, and the only difference is that said clone has slightly different properties on their moves. What makes it even worse is that I can totally think of unique move-sets for some of the characters recommend as echoes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Or it could just be the same thing as Waluigi not being available as an assist while playing as Waluigi? I mean, look at the Spirit Tracks stage. You get Alfonzo when you play as Toon Link, it seems like a simple thing you can implement. I'm not saying Waluigi definitely has a chance still, but the option is easily there to implement. It's just a matter of daddy sakurai using it or not.
I thought of that, but I have trouble seeing Sakurai removing a gameplay element, because a certain character is being played, even if it's a really minor element. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Not going to lie, I don't really understand the desire for echo characters. It seems like nobody really liked clones prior to them being called echo fighters, but now that they have a name people want the roster flooded with them. I just don't get it... It feels like they'd just clutter the roster, and they take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. Marth feels far less unique if you have a character that's nearly an exact clone of him, and the only difference is that said clone has slightly different properties on their moves. What makes it even worse is that I can totally think of unique move-sets for some of the characters recommend as echoes.
I don't want, but if they have clones the definition of "echo fighters" is because there is gonna be more than 3 echo characters.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they brought back every mode Smash ever had in it's history to this game. I mean, the starting roster is the original 12 from 64 and they brought back every single character and nearly every single stage back. Board the Platforms would be a welcome return after 19 years as well as Race to the Finish absent for 17 years.

A Subspace mode would be trickier, but a lot more fanservice if possible. Hopefully there's a bit of voice acting, especially since Nintendo has been more willing to include voice acting in their major franchises like Zelda (Breath of the Wild), Mario (Odyssey with the song and there are more lines then you would see in a Mario game) and Fire Emblem (Echoes was fully voiced and Three Houses looks to follow).

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't have a problem with clones as long as they're a character worth adding, yes you can have yarn yoshi or something as a clone but what's the point, it'd still be yoshi. Meanwhile adding Daisy or Shadow would be worth it since they're popular characters that people actually want in the game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's not what I meant, I'm saying I find it highly unlikely.
Alright, I apologize, I got confused because Son Goku was mentioned and he is a manga character before anything else.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
There are many factors at play when speculating for newcomers, and limited development resources is one of them. In the Direct Sakurai himself said to not expect a lot of newcomers, so people are desperately settling for their characters to be clones since they are low effort and can be added somewhat easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom