• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bandai namco have the rights of Digimon, and we have their mascot, Pac-man, on smash.
Also, Digimon is very popular in japan and they still release games.
This is true. There are A TON of games.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Nintendo characters:

1) Team Rocket Grunt
2) King K. Rool
3) Springman
4) Paper Mario
5) Bandana Dee
6) Rex & Pyra / Mythra
7) Elma
8) Geno
9) Waluigi
10) Medusa

Third Parties

1) Scorpion
2) Simon Belmont
3) Klonoa
4) Chrono
5) Agumon

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo:
  1. Dixie Kong
  2. Paper Mario
  3. Meowth
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Isaac
  6. Krystal
  7. Chibi-Robo
  8. Elma
  9. Slyveon
  10. Chrom
Third party:
  1. Geno
  2. Banjo & Kazooie
  3. Monster Hunter
  4. Heithatchi
  5. ???

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1) Team Rocket Grunt
I've had a weird concept before where Pokemon Trainer was playable, but it was literally just the trainer that would use things like the fishing rod or poke flute to fight. It was a funny idea, but I forgot how I fleshed it out.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
People are sleeping on Ms. Pac-Man as an Echo Fighter.

Not an AT, not a Color for Pac-Man, either. You could probably make and balance Ms. Pac-Man in a day.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Nintendo characters:

1) Team Rocket Grunt
2) King K. Rool
3) Springman
4) Paper Mario
5) Bandana Dee
6) Rex & Pyra / Mythra
7) Elma
8) Geno
9) Waluigi
10) Medusa

Third Parties

1) Scorpion
2) Simon Belmont
3) Klonoa
4) Chrono
5) Agumon
What if they added the Digimon from that current series where every mon is based off a phone app? I haven't seen it yet cuz I'm not big into Digimon, but it sounds like you could do some cool creative stuff with that.

Unless the show sucks in which case nevermind.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Not an AT, not a Color for Pac-Man, either. You could probably make and balance Ms. Pac-Man in a day.
I feel like Ms. Pac-Man is similar enough that she could just be an alt costume tbh, it's not like she has any defined personality that they need to represent.

Although tbh I think she's too similar to be an alt, she's really just Pac-Man with a bow and eyelashes after all

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

This is actually pretty true, but do people really want all of Pac-Man's alts but in drag?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
Nintendo:
  1. Skull Kid (one of the biggest fanfavorite Zelda characters)
  2. Captain Toad (Toad is long overdue)
  3. Elma (Xenoblade is the fastest growing Nintendo series that debuted in the 2010s aside from Splatoon)
  4. Mimikyu (could rival Pikachu)
  5. Celica (I just really like her)
  6. Mike Jones (Lucas, Marth and Roy are already JP-only characters. Now we need a west-only character)
  7. King K. Rool (Huge fanfavorite)
  8. Impa (another long overdue)
  9. Wonder Red (obscure games need more love in Smash)
  10. Saki Amamiya (see Wonder Red)
Third-parties:
  1. Phoenix Wright (his presence in Nintendo consoles is big and he'd be realy unique)
  2. Jack Frost (one of the closest RPG devs from Nintendo is Atlus)
  3. Agumon (Digimon was Pokémon's biggest rival)
  4. A second Sonic character (ordinarily it'd be Knuckles but since he's an AT, Dr. Eggman it is! Making Mario & Sonic vs Bowser & Eggman would be cool)
  5. Banjo-Kazooie (ok they're Microsoft which yes it's iffy but whatever it'd be cool)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
With Little Mac's buffs, do you think he'll finally win a "Who Can" challenge?

Graizen

Smash Champion
What if they added the Digimon from that current series where every mon is based off a phone app? I haven't seen it yet cuz I'm not big into Digimon, but it sounds like you could do some cool creative stuff with that.

Unless the show sucks in which case nevermind.
Agumon is the mascot of the series, thats why.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bandai namco have the rights of Digimon, and we have their mascot, Pac-man, on smash.
Also, Digimon is very popular in japan and they still release games.
It's not really that popular in Japan, more so than in the west of course, but it's still completely outdone in every way by Pokémon and Yokai Watch, even after trying to shift target audience to an older demographic it's still not making any big strides. I love Digimon, but it really is so far past its peak, there's no way it's ever going to be brought up in discussions related to Smash, the only thing they do with it these days is squeeze that last bit of nostalgia juice out of it.

Last edited:

Whababa

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
Is this where i can leave my wish list of new characters?

Nintendo characters:

King K. Rool
Paper Mario
Bandanna Dee
Springman

Third Parties:

Sora
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon

That is all.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not going to lie, I don't really understand the desire for echo characters. It seems like nobody really liked clones prior to them being called echo fighters, but now that they have a name people want the roster flooded with them. I just don't get it... It feels like they'd just clutter the roster, and they take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. Marth feels far less unique if you have a character that's nearly an exact clone of him, and the only difference is that said clone has slightly different properties on their moves. What makes it even worse is that I can totally think of unique move-sets for some of the characters recommend as echoes.
I guess the speculation is that people expect more of them now they've been given an official title, so it's fun to speculate on which ones are more likely / preferred. This also comes with the inherent assumption they aren't in as their own character.

For example, I'd like Dixie to be her own character but if not I think she is also in with a reasonable chance of being an Echo and would prefer it to nothing.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
It's not really that popular in Japan, more so than in the west of course, but it's still completely outdone in every way by Pokémon and Yokai Watch, even after trying to shift target audience to an older demographic it's still not making any big strides. I love Digimon, but it really is so far past its peak, there's no way it's ever going to be brought up in discussions related to Smash, the only thing they do with it these days is squeeze that last bit of nostalgia juice out of it.
You touch upon an interesting point there, Yokai Watch is pretty big in Japan and a reasonable success in the west. What about having Jibanyan in smash?

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So we've had Star Fox codecs, Palutena's Guidance, and now we can only assume Snake's legendary Codec Call will be returning. Do you think there are any other series that could/should provide a new codec in addition for this game? I'm not sure if I can come up with any great ones, a Pokedex could be cool with Pokemon Trainer but wouldn't really be that fun or clever, Doc Louis coaching Little Mac on opponents could be good. I'm more than content if we get Codec Calls back, but it's fun to think about if there are any other options as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Ms. Pac-Man is similar enough that she could just be an alt costume tbh, it's not like she has any defined personality that they need to represent.

Although tbh I think she's too similar to be an alt, she's really just Pac-Man with a bow and eyelashes after all
~Oh, honey, don't you know?
I'm more than Pac-Man with a bow~

She also has very complicated ownership issues.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
So we've had Star Fox codecs, Palutena's Guidance, and now we can only assume Snake's legendary Codec Call will be returning. Do you think there are any other series that could/should provide a new codec in addition for this game? I'm not sure if I can come up with any great ones, a Pokedex could be cool with Pokemon Trainer but wouldn't really be that fun or clever, Doc Louis coaching Little Mac on opponents could be good. I'm more than content if we get Codec Calls back, but it's fun to think about if there are any other options as well.
Maybe Cappy giving tips to Mario? Like he does in Odyssey?
I don't know, it sounds too obvious.

I just hope both the Codec and Palutena's Guidance are back in Ultimate.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
1. Tingle - the fun side of Zelda and he could be fun
2. Elma - she has a ton to offer
3. Lycanroc - the game could use some Pokemon diversity imo
4. Chrom - Awakening is my favorite FE and very important to me

Third party
1. Travis - he'd be loads of fun and No More Heroes is in dire need of love
2. Simon - iconic/retro/etc. pick

That's it. I'm pretty happy with this roster. My most wanted thing now is alt costumes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd like to see the Champions from Breath of the Wild get in on the fun as far additional banter goes. At least, I'd like to see what Revali has to say in regards to Falco.

You touch upon an interesting point there, Yokai Watch is pretty big in Japan and a reasonable success in the west. What about having Jibanyan in smash?
Yokai Watch made a large enough impact in Japan that I could see Sakurai considering Jibanyan for Smash, although from what I heard, it didn't do as well in the West though...

Perhaps Assist Trophy if he's going that direction?

Last edited:

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
Not going to lie, I don't really understand the desire for echo characters. It seems like nobody really liked clones prior to them being called echo fighters, but now that they have a name people want the roster flooded with them. I just don't get it... It feels like they'd just clutter the roster, and they take away from the uniqueness of other fighters. Marth feels far less unique if you have a character that's nearly an exact clone of him, and the only difference is that said clone has slightly different properties on their moves. What makes it even worse is that I can totally think of unique move-sets for some of the characters recommend as echoes.
I kind of feel this way too. Although I can see how it allows opportunity for some peoples favorite characters to get into Smash easily. If there was actually anyone out there that was really wishing on the day that Daisy would get in other than an alternate costume for Peach for example.

I'd like to see the Champions from Breath of the Wild get in on the fun as far additional banter goes. At least, I'd like to see what Revali has to say in regards to Falco.

Yokai Watch made a large enough impact in Japan that I could see Sakurai considering Jibanyan for Smash, although from what I heard, it didn't do as well in the West though...

Perhaps Assist Trophy if he's going that direction?
I could absolutely see them going in the assist trophy direction here...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If a different name makes people accept the idea of clone characters, maybe they should re-brand Assist Trophies as Portal Warriors.:troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What a time to be alive when people are actually demanding more clones.:4jigglypuff:
Because they are desperate.

That and because Sakurai legitimized last minute filler clones with the fancy new term “Echo Fighters”.

My reaction: Please no Mr. Sakurai. Please no. I'd take Pink Gold Peach over this.

Internet's: *Intense angry screeching noises because of Goku*
Inb4 Pink Gold Peach is Peach’s second Echo Fighter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because they are desperate.

That and because Sakurai legitimized last minute filler clones with the fancy new term “Echo Fighters”.

Inb4 Pink Gold Peach is Peach’s second Echo Fighter.
Except Daisy wasn't really a last minute addition.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Oh yeah my list wanted newcomers now:

Nintendo

1. King K. Rool
2. Dillon
3. Funky Kong
4. Skull Kid
5. Ninten

3rd Party

1. Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell
2. Simon Belmont
3. Reimu Hakurei
4. Arle Nadja
5. Ryu Hayabusa

Iridium

Smash Hero

SmashBoards needs to get into these. Those icons are so CLEAN, and now I cannot stop staring at them.
Yes! They look just as good as I expected! Not sure who to thank, but nice work!

So let's see how it looks: ZeRo :ultmario: 2-1 MkLeo :ultsonic:. So clean!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

She could even use the other Ghosts from the later games in her Smash attacks.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I know man everything feels so wrong we when have 8 Bowser's on screen at the same time. What was Sakurai thinking when he let multiple of the same character on screen at the same time in every game mode? Literally unplayable.

Also, I said that and I'm not even much of a Waluigi fan. The internet wanted Wolf and Sakurai brought every veteran back. Now he says this game is the "Ultimate Smash game" but is also going to ignore the fan demand of just one easily accessible Mario character? Yeah, totally, no chance that'll ever happen. Not like disabling a single trophy summon is so easy I can do it or anything.

EDIT: You like half-read what I said and I'm fairly annoyed. DLC. As in, not base game but after the base game. No one said they'll disable his trophy before release...
Why do you say I half read anything? i were not talking to you in particular in the first place, i don't know what you're talking about

And the excuse about the same character on screen is just not the same. Of cours smash doesnt make sense, but by game design issue, you cant just have the same entity as a playable character and as an item if they can occure at the same time, what's the next step ? Waluigi as a stage ?

Or it could just be the same thing as Waluigi not being available as an assist while playing as Waluigi? I mean, look at the Spirit Tracks stage. You get Alfonzo when you play as Toon Link, it seems like a simple thing you can implement. I'm not saying Waluigi definitely has a chance still, but the option is easily there to implement. It's just a matter of daddy sakurai using it or not.
No it's not the same, Alfonzo and ToonLink doesnt affect gameplay
Changing waluigi as an AT would
People will start saying Knucles and cie could be playable at this point
Sigh
There are assist trophies for a reasons

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Question, who do you think would be a good Bandai Namco rep to go with Pac-Man?

On Namco's side there's Heihatchi, Nightmare, Lloyd (Tales of), Dig Dug, Taiko (drum thing) and KOS-MOS
On Bandai's side there's Digimon and Tamagotchi.

Which do you want? Did I miss any?
For Tekken, they could also go with either Kazuya or Jin, since all 3 of them are the primary characters in Tekken. As far as requests go, that Lloyd dude's been thrown around for a while. Heihachi's more eccentric personality fits in better for a game like Smash while still being badass. Though I'd personally prefer Jin Kazama since I main him in every Tekken game since 3.

Mind you, I'd be happy as hell if any of the Mishimas got in somehow.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
These new icons are lookin' good!

Oh and ill play that newcomer game thing

Nintendo folks (not really much order after K. Rool)
1. King K. Rool
2. Waluigi (rip)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Spring Man
5. Bandanna Dee
6. Captain Toad
7. Isaac
8. Ashley
9. Thwomp
10. ...Uh, an alolan pokemon, I guess? Its hard to come up with many 1st parties I genuinley really want after K. Rool, now that everyone is back and we have Ridley and Inkling on top of that.

3rd party folks
1. Rayman
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Doom Slayer
4. Crash
5. Shovel Knight

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just realized I never actually did the 10 & 5 thing the OP asked for. Here goes.

Min Min
Paper Mario
Skull Kid
Micaiah or Celica
Callista
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Isabelle
Wolf Link & Midna (I know Midna's an AT, but I've wanted this since before Brawl released)
Miku Hinasaki (Fatal Frame has become a Nintendo exclusive for the last two games; I'm counting it)

Third Party:
NiGHTS
Ittle Dew
Jack (from MadWorld)
RAD Spencer (Bionic Commando; not the new Nathan Spencer design in MvC, but the old school NES one)
Banjo & Kazooie (Phil Spencer said he'd love to see them in Smash, soooooo.)

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
For Tekken, they could also go with either Kazuya or Jin, since all 3 of them are the primary characters in Tekken. As far as requests go, that Lloyd dude's been thrown around for a while. Heihachi's more eccentric personality fits in better for a game like Smash while still being badass. Though I'd personally prefer Jin Kazama since I main him in every Tekken game since 3.

Mind you, I'd be happy as hell if any of the Mishimas got in somehow.
If anyone from Tekken got in at all, I'd hope it would be Jin.

These new icons are lookin' good!

Oh and ill play that newcomer game thing

Nintendo folks (not really much order after K. Rool)
1. King K. Rool
2. Waluigi (rip)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Spring Man
5. Bandanna Dee
6. Captain Toad
7. Isaac
8. Ashley
9. Thwomp
10. ...Uh, an alolan pokemon, I guess? Its hard to come up with many 1st parties I genuinley really want after K. Rool, now that everyone is back and we have Ridley and Inkling on top of that.

3rd party folks
1. Rayman
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Doom Slayer
4. Crash
5. Shovel Knight
Crap! I totally forgot to add Rayman to my third party list earlier....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At the current moment, I do believe Vergeben's statement of 6 newcomers that have yet to be revealed. Those half-dozen characters that have yet to be revealed according to Vergeben I feel will all be unique newcomers revealed. I do not see Sakurai revealing Echos solely via trailers. Maybe we could see a King K. Rool trailer with Dixie also revealed, but I do not see Echoes being given their own trailers.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
At the current moment, I do believe Vergeben's statement of 6 newcomers that have yet to be revealed. Those half-dozen characters that have yet to be revealed according to Vergeben I feel will all be unique newcomers revealed. I do not see Sakurai revealing Echos solely via trailers. Maybe we could see a King K. Rool trailer with Dixie also revealed, but I do not see Echoes being given their own trailers.
Yeah. I don't believe echo's will steal anyones spotlight. They might share trailers with others, just get a small trailer on YouTube (20 second ones) or they will be secrets in the game.

Btw, I love your signature now. 4 of my most wanted newecomers on it. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom