• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
QUESTION / IMAGINE

We're at EVO, and Smash Bros Ultimate has a new trailer to be introduced.
In this Trailer, in homage to the fighting games, the five characters below are revealed.

1 - What would be your reaction?
2 - What would be the reaction of the internet?

View attachment 148741
>Goku

Have you guys not learned? Like seriously, why do people still think he has a legit shot?

D

Deleted member

QUESTION / IMAGINE

In this Trailer, in homage to the fighting games, the five characters below are revealed.

View attachment 148741
My reaction: Please no Mr. Sakurai. Please no. I'd take Pink Gold Peach over this.

Internet's: *Intense angry screeching noises because of Goku*

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
But they did end up adding the costume, and they acknowledged the outcry for it. I think the fact that Daisy appears in Super Mario Run is because of the fan outcry of Mario Maker. Also Super Mario Run is considered a canon game according to Nintendo (for some...reason) so that doubles Daisy's canonical appearences from 1 to 2. And Waluigi is still at 0.
Doesn’t it mean something though that they had to wait for fan outcry to add the Mario Maker Daisy costume, rather than just assuming that they should add it at launch? It does show the support she has, though.

The descriptions of the Waluigi costume in Odyssey imply that Waluigi canonically exists, which is... better than nothing? ...But yeah, that’s barely anything.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
I'll crack myself at this.
1. Hector - I've made myself pretty clear on disliking Fire Emblem, but that's mostly for Awakening onwards. I'm a pretty big fan of the old games, and Hector is at least not assistified like Lyn and has a bit of a variable moveset with the varying axes you could use in the FE series, especially the throwing ones. You could also throw some gimmicky mobile game abilities for that sweet FE Heroes promotion. Go nuts, go gacha.

2. Chibi-Robo - I played the original Chibi-Robo on Gamecube and I loved the hell out of it. It's like the janitor job in Sunshine except its like actual janitorial work but just as fun. Chibi-Robo never was an offensive character and more pacifistic, but with the Villager's inclusion I wouldn't mind seeing him use his zapper, plug, or propeller in use for Ultimate. The only problem is that Nintendo gave his series the good 'ol execution by making their final attempt at a Chibi-Robo game a platformer. Thanks Obama.

3. Funky Kong - People want him to be an Echo fighter for Donkey Kong but I think otherwise. There's a plethora of unused items from Donkey Kong 64 that haven't been utilized, and Funky Kong quite literally designed them all. The Coconut Gun, Pineapple Grenades, and if you want more references you can have his vehicles from Donkey Kong Country from the yacht to the plane. He's a lot more versatile than you think he could be. If you really wanted to bring in more references, have him use some of the moves from DK64 that other characters have used. Chunky Punch, Super Duper Simian Slam, you name it.

4. Dark Pit - Yeah sounds stupid but make Dark Pit an actual ****ing character instead of a clone, there's several weapon types unused from Kid Icarus Uprising that he could use, including the Staff he uses for only his Final Smash. Pandora Claws, Midnight Palm, Viper Blade, you have more options than the edgier Silver Bow.

5. Tingle - I like joke characters, but I also like Tingle. It's filling the void in the heart Waluigi should have filled. It's in the sass and character, and with his own game and a moveset revolving around more balloons than balloon fighter and more money than Wario's wet dreams, I think it's very possible for Tingle to create his own type of moveset. Hyrule Warriors already made a fine example of that.

6. Sylux - Out of all the Prime Hunters, I chose Sylux mostly due to the fact of him supposedly having a big impact on the plot of Prime 4. This would up his chances of being included more than Rundas or Weavel. His vampiric energy abilities with the Coil and his Lockjaw form are some neat additions that could see some light. Since he also appeared in the special end of Federation Force (as much of a not-Metroid game the Metroid game is), he's certainly racked up enough sneak appearances to have his time to shine. Maybe.

7. Golisopod - I like Bug-type Pokemon, but I also don't like the stereotype that you have to pick a Starter or you have to pick the Pikachu lookalike of the generation for a rep. This was the next best thing, "realistically" anyway. It's Guzma's main guy, and its First Strike could work well as a counter or a special type of Final Smash. It's not realistic, but it would be really neat to see.

8. Ninten - I was gonna put Giygas (back when he was Giegue) but that looks too much like Mewtwo on life support. It would put the trilogy of Mother together, and Ninten's more defensive PSI can make him act out more as a staller type of fighter akin to Olimar's strategies. The 4th-D Slip would make him more unique to not have a PK Thunder reliant recovery, and his Final Smash could be the eight melodies, or using the PK Beam with Ana like the old commercial.

9. Urban Champion - He's like Duck Hunt but his NES references and moves are the original sports-based ones (Baseball, Kung Fu, Pro-Wrestling, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Pinball, and Slalom). It'd make a trilogy out of R.O.B. and Duck Hunt for the NES era.

10. waluigi pls sakurai Primid - The SSE was cool, but most people referred to Tabuu as someone they wanted to play as because he was strong and the final boss. I like to look at his lackey for that, there were a lot of variants of him. A lot of them were item-based, but I think it could improved upon or could use some help from other types of original enemies if the SSE or some of its enemies don't make a return. Its final smash could be using the Shadow Bugs or that weird Dark Cannon that turned people into trophies.

Hopefully this wasn't too long, I like to go deep into this type of stuff. :4pacman:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
QUESTION / IMAGINE

View attachment 148741
1. How did it go from the best, to the worst game in such a short time?
2. How did it go from the best, to the worst game in such a short time? Whatever, Ridley.

D

Deleted member

>Goku

Have you guys not learned? Like seriously, why do people still think he has a legit shot?
It's meant to be a "what if" scenario, not a prediction.
I don't get why it's such a hard concept for some people to grasp.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Crockpot theory: Gangplank Galleon is the reason why we haven’t seen Pirate Ship yet.
I dont see the correlation...

Spirit Train was probably done first/cbosen as the Toon stage for the demo/game.

Gangplank and Pirate Ship are distinct in shape, size, and hazards cannonballs aside.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
QUESTION / IMAGINE

View attachment 148741
1. "why"
2. "Guess I'm maining Scorpion"

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's meant to be a "what if" scenario, not a prediction.
I don't get why it's such a hard concept for some people to grasp.
I guess. But replace Goku with Ragna or Nightmare and that's MUCH MORE attractive and celebrates fighting games in general

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
I mean, people can attack me for this one, but the ONLY reason Daisy is in over Waluigi at the end of the day isn't due to Canon appearances, but because she is easier to make as a full on clone of Peach. Waluigi can't be cloned from someone. He's just too distinct.
I totally agree with you, but I don't know if she would have made the echo cut if she wasn't in Super Mario Run (I heard some people theroize that she was added late in development because of that game) for the fact that aside from that game, Daisy's situation barely has changed from now to when Smash 4 happened. And she could have been perfectly added as a clone I mean echo in that game.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Well, my 2 mains are in, Falco got a Laser buff, Mii Fighters can be played online (I'm assuming they mean FG) and Stage Hazard toggle. I'm all set with this game.

Though I will be excited to see if they do announce any newcomers, my vote is between 3-5. I'm not counting on any more, because I think at that point this game will become too saturated.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I just realized that Vergeben said 6 more newcomers aside from the confirmed and Simon, which makes 10. That just happens to be the number of newcomers I'm predicting due to keeping it realistic as well as working with the CSS (I know that's not the best reasoning, let me enjoy my aesthetically pleasing roster).

So I'm actually hoping he's right, but I'm waiting till Wednesday. No Castlevania game announced then I give up on Vergeben, at least until Simon gets announced.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I would not mind more fighting game reps. It would feel like an official way of saying Smash is a fighter from Sakurai which is long over do.

Having said that, I do not want all of those in. Heihaichi and Scorpion are iconic and interesting and having them with Ryu in Smash would be such a love letter to the genre's roots.

And Goku well I have saif it before I would take him if it was made clear he is a special exception. DB has a rich history of games that are treasured at least. Also would be an amazing series to have codecs from.

D

Deleted member

this is another reason i REALLY dont think third parties are getting echo characters like everyone seems to be guessing at. i mean frankly i dont think there will be many echos at all but specifically with the third party characters im very doubtful where others seem so certain.

if they intended to do Shadow and Ken then they'd have left protoman out of megamans final smash and given him an echo too, like theres not even a question in my mind that they'd do echos across the board if they intended to do so for third parties: shadow / ken / protoman / ms pacman / zack / jeanna

with protoman deconfirmed (and other reasons) i HIGHLY doubt we'd get any of the other third party echos, especially because protoman didnt even need to BE deconfirmed he was ADDED to megamans final smash for this game only.
That's a very poor way of looking at it.
Not every single third party series needs an Echo Fighter.

If someone like Shadow (who's been a big topic in the Smash community since Brawl) gets in as one, that doesn't necessitate others that people don't really care about just for the sake of being "even".

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mean, people can attack me for this one, but the ONLY reason Daisy is in over Waluigi at the end of the day isn't due to Canon appearances, but because she is easier to make as a full on clone of Peach. Waluigi can't be cloned from someone. He's just too distinct.
Absolutely true. And I will defend you for this.

She's basically just an upgraded alt costume, and congrats to her fans. But Sakurai did not look at her and Waluigi and go "Oh well Daisy was in a Mario game for the game boy and was in Super Mario Run (which her inclusion was an update just this year wasn't it?) so I guess I'll choose her over Waluigi".

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
QUESTION / IMAGINE

View attachment 148741
1. "oh, ok."
2. *Angry/Joyful Screechings because Goku*

D

Deleted member

I know it's probably been brought up a million times by now, but I have a gut feeling Octolings are gonna be an Echo Fighter to give Splatoon 2 some representation. I'd be down with it; Octolings are cute little things.

I do wonder if perhaps we're all expecting too much out of Echos, though. There by no means is any indication there will even be more than the three we have now, but eh, speculation is fun. :p

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I just realized that Vergeben said 6 more newcomers aside from the confirmed and Simon, which makes 10. That just happens to be the number of newcomers I'm predicting due to keeping it realistic as well as working with the CSS (I know that's not the best reasoning, let me enjoy my aesthetically pleasing roster).

So I'm actually hoping he's right, but I'm waiting till Wednesday. No Castlevania game announced then I give up on Vergeben, at least until Simon gets announced.
Did he mean echo fighters in there? Or just full newcomers?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Smash does need more fighting game reps and the franchises that deserve one are ones that helped make the genre popular itself

• KOF
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Tekken
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Guilty Gear
  • Soul Calibur
  • BlazBlue

These the franchises, I believe deserve a chance on the roster. And even then I'll only choose two of them.

Tekken for Hehaichi
Guilty Gear for Sol Badguy

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know it's probably been brought up a million times by now, but I have a gut feeling Octolings are gonna be an Echo Fighter to give Splatoon 2 some representation. I'd be down with it; Octolings are cute little things.

I do wonder if perhaps we're all expecting too much out of Echos, though. There by no means is any indication there will even be more than the three we have now, but eh, speculation is fun. :p
What a time to be alive when people are actually demanding more clones.:4jigglypuff:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Smash does need more fighting game reps and the franchises that deserve one are ones that helped make the genre popular itself

• KOF
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Tekken
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Guilty Gear
  • Soul Calibur
  • BlazBlue

These the franchises, I believe deserve a chance on the roster. And even then I'll only choose two of them.

Tekken for Hehaichi
Fulgore from Killer Instinct and Amingo from Marvel VS Capcom
wait a minute

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Part of the reason I think Shadow has a good shot at being an echo fighter is that he is someone a lot of people have wanted to see playable in Smash for a long time. I don't think that many people are dying to see Ken, or Ms. Pac-Man, or Zack Fair, or Jeanne, or Big Boss, or Protoman playable in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, he's claiming a Castlevania reveal is coming on Wednesday? Interesting, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I honestly don't think his Ridley leak is all that impressive, personally. Didn't other sources say it and the no cuts thing before him? If Simon ends up not happening, I'm gonna just go ahead and assume he either piggybacked off of the other predictions and leaks, or it was a simple case of Gematsu all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
That's a very poor way of looking at it.
Not every single third party series needs an Echo Fighter.

If someone like Shadow (who's been a big topic in the Smash community since Brawl) gets in as one, that doesn't necessitate others that people don't really care about just for the sake of being "even".
I suppose I went a little overboard in my explanation and i have to concede here that one fighter getting in doesnt require another for "patterns" smash and sakurai simply dont do that.

but I remain convinced they wouldnt have added protoman to that final smash if echo fighters were going to be made for third party characters, with DLC and just the future of smash there was no need to add him there IF Shadow and Ken or whoever else are going to be echos in some way. i just dont see clear logic to do that.

besides that though I just generally dont see third party echos happening at all, so that statement was really more just adding the fact they deconfirmed one of the obvious third party echos, protoman, and i feel like they wouldnt have done that if third party echos were going to be a thing at all... ESPECIALLY the way protoman is deconfirmed: hes added to an already good final smash, so when the development team was thinking "how can we get protoman in this game?" they didnt think maybe they should hold off in case they have time to make him an echo fighter or maybe fan demand wants it for DLC. instead they shoe horned him in to a final smash, which leads me to believe the thought of an echo fighter for megaman wasnt even on their radar, in which case i feel like shadow/ken etc... probably hold the same train of thought.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Absolutely true. And I will defend you for this.

She's basically just an upgraded alt costume, and congrats to her fans. But Sakurai did not look at her and Waluigi and go "Oh well Daisy was in a Mario game for the game boy and was in Super Mario Run (which her inclusion was an update just this year wasn't it?) so I guess I'll choose her over Waluigi".
I dunno why yall are assuming Daisy fans would be upset at that. They both had their silent and vocal fans. They both were similarly represented in their own series. They both could have potentially been in Smash.

The only difference is that Daisy could be made easily and Waluigi required a unique move-set (even though I would have preferred her to at least be a luigified Peach....maybe in Smash 6). This isn't something to be offended about. It's just a fact. It doesn't mean Daisy deserves to be in Smash any more or less, anyway.

On another note: I honestly can see Sakurai seeing the internet's general reaction to Waluigi and make him DLC. "But he won't do that cause he's a trophy already!" So? He could just disable the trophy or we can stop pretending this even REALLY matters considering we can have 8 Mario's on screen at the same time. No it isn't the same thing but the whole "if it's a trophy, it can't be a character" thing feels really silly when taking into account DLC.

If Waluigi doesn't make it in as DLC I'd assume either Sakurai already knew what he wanted to do for DLC before release or he just doesn't like Waluigi all that much. EDIT: Or he actually does care about the trophy thing more than I do and he doesn't want to disable any of them.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
This might be hard to swallow but after some thinking Rabbids could be one of the funniest characters to play in smash.

Take a stroll through the wiki

Blasters, hammers, sentries, rockets,Granaducks. I mean that's a lot.

Also I think in terms of costumes you'd have your standara Rabbid and then all the ones from Kingdom Battle treated with the same naming convention as the Koopalings.

Also a final smash that turns them into Rabbid Donkey Kong for a Giga Bowser punch.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

• KOF
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Tekken
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Guilty Gear
  • Soul Calibur
  • BlazBlue

Tekken for Hehaichi
I'd also say, Dead or Alive. It has been on a Nintendo console, and I think Kasumi is recognizable enough.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This might be hard to swallow but after some thinking Rabbids could be one of the funniest characters to play in smash.
Imagine Rabbids getting in before Rayman. It'd be as much outrage as the Rayman leak all over again.:rotfl:

Pakky

Smash Hero
QUESTION / IMAGINE

View attachment 148741
Hehe my reactions

1. WHERE's MAI!

2. HOLY Sh**

3. Who's that? (Sakurai has failed, Nintendo has failed)

4. TEST YOUR MIGHT, YYEYEYEEYYEYE

3. Uh, alright fam that's lit.

Imagine Rabbids getting in before Rayman. It'd be as much outrage as the Rayman leak all over again.:rotfl:
Both might, cuz Rayman is kinda in already.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
QUESTION / IMAGINE

View attachment 148741
This would probably be the darkest timeline for me. As much as I like Goku and Heihachi, no... I'd instantly be taken out of interest. The internet... It would break. Can't say if it would be good or bad.

D

Deleted member

What a time to be alive when people are actually demanding more clones.:4jigglypuff:
Certainly a lot different than the Smash Wii U/3DS days, that's for sure lol.

Take a stroll through the wiki

Blasters, hammers, sentries, rockets,Granaducks. I mean that's a lot.

Also I think in terms of costumes you'd have your standara Rabbid and then all the ones from Kingdom Battle treated with the same naming convention as the Koopalings.

Also a final smash that turns them into Rabbid Donkey Kong for a Giga Bowser punch.
I'm one of those people that wants them completely unironically and would really enjoy them. I have very fond memories of playing the older games as a kid and Mario Rabbids is a gem, so I'd be 100% happy with them on the roster, even if it meant no Rayman.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Part of the reason I think Shadow has a good shot at being an echo fighter is that he is someone a lot of people have wanted to see playable in Smash for a long time. I don't think that many people are dying to see Ken, or Ms. Pac-Man, or Zack Fair, or Jeanne, or Big Boss, or Protoman playable in Smash.

fair enough, i think fan demand for characters is what will get an echo character in and not just cause they CAN be an echo (the dark evil counter part character is in like every game its a trope at this point so there are many to choose from here).

i guess I'm just from a different era of sonic fans maybe? i felt sonic went down a dark path and only recently with mania came out of that and it was right around when Shadow showed up and they started adding new sonic characters left and right and every game wasnt about beating dr robotnic (not eggman) cause he was polluting and making robots and instead was about stopping interdimensional demons from destroying human characters cities or something... basically ill admit i have a bias against shadow as he represents sonic going down THAT path for me, maybe other people feel more fondly about him though and im just an old fart haha.

anyway if its cause you think shadow has the fan backing to become playable, more power to you i hope the character you want gets in, if people think shadow will happen cause hes an obvious echo fighter i strongly disagree but perhaps im ignoring his fanbase due to my own feelings about the sonic franchise.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Did he mean echo fighters in there? Or just full newcomers?
I believe when asked he said he wasn't sure if it included them. Someone clarify?

I'm sure it does though because they seem to be getting their own spots and treated like newcomers so I don't think they would be separated in that count.
Wait, he's claiming a Castlevania reveal is coming on Wednesday? Interesting, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I honestly don't think his Ridley leak is all that impressive, personally. Didn't other sources say it and the no cuts thing before him? If Simon ends up not happening, I'm gonna just go ahead and assume he either piggybacked off of the other predictions and leaks, or it was a simple case of Gematsu all over again.
He did not say Castlevania this Wednesday. HOWEVER, he said Konami would reveal a Castlevania game for the Switch at E3. So far they haven't but there was something revealed behind closed doors that will supposedly be revealed Wednesday. So if it's Castlevania, Vergeben might be on it. If it's not then Vergeben either has mixed info or was just piggybacking.

D

Deleted member

I believe when asked he said he wasn't sure if it included them. Someone clarify?

I'm sure it does though because they seem to be getting their own spots and treated like newcomers so I don't think they would be separated in that count.

He did not say Castlevania this Wednesday. HOWEVER, he said Konami would reveal a Castlevania game for the Switch at E3. So far they haven't but there was something revealed behind closed doors that will supposedly be revealed Wednesday. So if it's Castlevania, Vergeben might be on it. If it's not then Vergeben either has mixed info or was just piggybacking.
Even if it is Castlevania, It would only help if it was a Switch game or at least had a port to switch. Time will tell, I guess; thanks for the info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom