• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
1st Party:
Waluigi
Ashley
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Tetra
Bandana Waddle Dee
Krystal
Fiora
Takamaru
Chorus Kids

Third-Party:
Geno
Sora
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Travis Touchdown

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why do people still think that Waluigi is playable? He's an assist trophy, get over it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Honestly, Sakurai doesn't have to do anything else, I'm just happy Ridley is here.:ultridley:
Feels good knowing the only potential outburst of salt when the roster is revealed are DK and Pokemon fans. The latter are playing it safe but the former are now thinking one of K. Rool or Dixie is definitely going to come, which sounds like a recipe for disaster if it ends up not being the case.

I want both in, but Ridley getting in ≠ them getting in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why do people still think that Waluigi is playable? He's an assist trophy, get over it.
I don't think he's playable nor do I think Sakurai ever would. Waluigi may top a Smash Ballot for all we know and I still think he wouldn't let him in because Sakurai said he believes people like Waluigi insincerely (as in they only love him for the memes and not just Waluigi) :chuckle: Some say its hard to make a fully fleshed moveset, but I disagree with that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's a question about the number of Zelda reps. Do you feel like we could use another, or is what we have enough/too much?

For comparison, here's the Zelda series.

:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

And here's the other franchises with multiple characters.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:):ultlucario::ultgreninja:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin:ultcorrin:

Personally, I don't see an issue with getting one or two more Zelda characters. The series is popular, hasn't gotten a unique newcomer since Melee, and has plenty of great options to choose from.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".

I'm only gunna do 10 in total because after Ridley I don't need much more to make it Ultimate. Also I don't really care for third parties.

1. Mimikyu
2. Tetra
3. Impa (Echo, and to represent SS which I feel has been shafted in this series)
4. King K. Rool / Dixie Kong (Either, with Dixie perferably not being an echo or clone)
5. Isabelle (Echo)
6. An ARMs rep (obviously would rather Twintelle but I'd take anyone at this point).
7. Chibi-Robo
8. Claus
9. Marx
10. Travis Touchdown

I could see the first half or so of my list, but the second half are just fan wants that I know are very unlikely. I'll be content with Ridley :)

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Here's a question about the number of Zelda reps. Do you feel like we could use another, or is what we have enough/too much?

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:):ultlucario::ultgreninja:

Personally, I don't see an issue with getting one or two more Zelda characters. The series is popular, hasn't gotten a unique newcomer since Melee, and has plenty of great options to choose from.
Personally, I just don't see them.
Am I the only one who doesn't see the new icons for Ultimate?

But seriously, I wouldn't mind another Zelda rep.
There are definitely a lot of characters from the franchise that are recognizable and worthy of inclusion, and not just more versions of the current ones.
Midna SHOULD have been one of them, but instead I'll be forever heartbroken.
And I won't stop crying about it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why is there never a "reps don't matter" option?
Fire Emblem
More specifically the good sum of people complaining about its sizeable roster ever since Corrin came in and suddenly people thought it was a problem. A vocal minority can be really loud, y'know? :4dk:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was sad about Arcade Bunny but I new he didn’t have the best chance to begin with, though I think he had potential it wasn’t too big of a loss even though I did really want him.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why is there never a "reps don't matter" option?
Because reps DO matter to an extent. It ain't a coincidence that the top three Nintendo franchises always dominate the roster.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind another Zelda rep.
There are definitely a lot of characters from the franchise that are recognizable and worthy of inclusion, and not just more versions of the current ones.
Midna SHOULD have been one of them, but instead I'll be forever heartbroken.
And I won't stop crying about it.
I agree. I'm upset that Midna never got in Brawl. She would've opened the door to a lot of great one-shot characters had she got in.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
I care for Elma but this is clean as f**k good work!

I'm so proud of Smash, everyone can see everything now, man, never underestimate the power of a clean UI!
Yeah, I might go back and make an icon for Elma, this might be a bit rude.

I’m also thinking of drawing up some icons for some additional characters I’d like to see.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, Sakurai doesn't have to do anything else, I'm just happy Ridley is here.:ultridley:
Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Toad, and Meowth and that’s it for me as far as Nintendo characters are concerned.

They are the remaining pre-Melee characters I wanted that are still not playable in Smash.

Pre-Melee characters I wanted
Peach :4peach:
Toad :substitute:
Wario :4wario:
Bowser :4bowser:
Diddy Kong :4diddy:
Dixie Kong :substitute:
King K. Rool :substitute:
Zelda :4zelda:
Ganondorf :4ganondorf:
King Dedede :4dedede:
Meta Knight :4metaknight:
Bulbasaur :ivysaur:
Charmander :4charizard:
Squirtle :squirtle:
Meowth :substitute:
Mewtwo :4mewtwo:
Kid Icarus :4pit:
Little Mac :4littlemac:

Pre-Brawl characters I wanted
Wind Waker Link :4tlink:
Justin Bailey Samus :4zss:
Animal Crossing Human or Tom Nook :4villager:
Olimar :4olimar:
Mii :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:
Duck Hunt Dog :4duckhunt:

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I just wanted to ask, why is everyone assuming a Xenoblade X rep will be Elma? If they can have Robin, they can have Cross, right? It just seems like something weird to treat as a foregone conclusion.
Although this guy is part of the treehouse and not monolith itself I feel this is worth noting
https://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-xenoblade-chronicles-x-character/

"GR: Are you hoping that maybe some of these characters crossover into Super Smash Bros. or anything like that?
Boggs: “I’m always down for new characters to be in Smash! I would love for more representation of any type of Monolith games that we’ve had. Yeah, to have Elma or something like that in the game would be great, but that’s all up to Sakurai and the wonderful magic that he works and the craziness. I’m with you guys though, the more the better.”

Seems like even they know she's the optimal pick. The game also portrays her as the main character, look at any cutscene and elma will undoubtably be in the lead with the most dialogue and the avatar unlike robin isn't really important to the plot, they just tag along and they also have no defined personality, weapon type and their default appearances are tragic.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

If we only go by number, 6 is enough. However, 2 of them are semiclones (of the same character, no less) so it would be cool to see another unique Zelda character. And it should be Impa, since she is one of the few recurring characters.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
What if we got Master Hand as an unlockable fighter this time around? Like a revamped one, just to celebrate "everyone" being here (he was playable in Melee after all :troll:). It would have been fanservice we did not even know we wanted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That doesn't mean they should get more reps just for the sake of it.
If the characters from it are popular and very recognizable, I'd argue they should. They might not end up being more unique than the options from franchises like FE or Xenoblade, but at least they'd attract more people than the latter.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
What if we got Master Hand as an unlockable fighter this time around? Like a revamped one, just to celebrate "everyone" being here (he was playable in Melee after all :troll:). It would have been fanservice we did not even know we wanted.
Mister Hand.
And he's just a copyright-free Glover.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Zelda got love in the shape of revamp and buffed veterans. Ganondorf is a healthy 50/50 split on what the Smash and Zelda communties wanted, Link's fighting style has drastically changed to have more stage control options for his zoning, and Zelda seems less laggy and able to string a few things together at last. They also brought back Young Link because why not?

The only newcomer I still see as feasible is Impa as an echo or semi-clone, which I can take or leave. The series has so much content in stages, music, and items now that it feels just right.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Zelda got love in the shape of revamp and buffed veterans. Ganondorf is a healthy 50/50 split on what the Smash and Zelda communties wanted, Link's fighting style has drastically changed to have more stage control options for his zoning, and Zelda seems less laggy and able to string a few things together at last. They also brought back Young Link because why not?

The only newcomer I still see as feasible is Impa as an echo or semi-clone, which I can take or leave. The series has so much content in stages, music, and items now that it feels just right.
I'd honestly take Tingle or Linkle if I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand much of the appeal for Impa. :4charizard:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

By realizable, I'm assuming you mean no one who's currently out of the running. In that case, I'll need to leave off Waluigi and Starfy.

1. Captain Toad
A major recurring Mario character with a spunky, upbeat personality. Lots to love here.

2. Dixie Kong
A full-on grappler who would use her hair to overwhelm foes and her Bubble Gum Gun to get in close. Also finally gives us another DK character.

3. Decidueye
With its description being "Grass-Ghost Archer Owl," Decidueye has a ton to work with. It's also my favorite Alolan starter.

4. Chrom
He's the best and nothing more needs to be said. Ideally unique, with a moveset focused on weapon switching between the Exalted Falchion and a lance, but I'd take an echo.

5. Celica
Also the best. A practitioner of Valentian magic, she'd cast powerful spells freehand at the cost of a bit of health, making her become a glass cannon as the fight progresses.

6. Caeda
That's right, three Fire Emblem newcomers because screw it, this is my list. Pegasus Knights are one of the series' most iconic classes and Caeda is chief among them in importance. An aerial fighter who would use her signature Wing Spear to fight.

7. Isabelle
The biggest Nintendo all-star not yet in the game. She would have a move set based on terraforming by way of ordinances and Public Works Projects.

8. Henry Fleming
Another resource management character who uses his steam-based Eagle Rifle and military combat training in order to fight.

9. Muddy Mole
Token retro, this time from the Game Boy. He'd be able to dig through the ground, giving him superb mobility on stage, all while tossing giant iron balls around.

10. Sky Skipper
My choice for a Game and Watch/R.O.B. styled character. Sky Skipper was a Nintendo arcade game that never got an official release, but due to evidence of it existing it became a sort of cult fascination. Just last year the full game was discovered in Nintendo's archives and now it's going to be officially released as part of the Arcade Classics line. I just think this little tribute to a lost piece of Nintendo history would be neat to add.

Third Parties:

1. Crash Bandicoot
He'd fight like a Looney Tunes character, crazed and cartoonish. Plus he's my favorite third party option.

2. Simon Belmont
One of the few big NES icons left, and he'd bring a cool whip moveset (though not a Cool Whip moveset) and awesome music.

3. Lara Croft
The single most iconic video game character not yet in Smash. Frankly she deserves it.

4. Frogger
An iconic arcade character who would have a moveset centered around dodging and evasion, with successful dodges rewards the player with more speed.

5. Maxwell
Scribblenauts is a wonderful series and Maxwell would be our first true summoner character.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123

A compilation of people's reaction to Waluigi being disconfirmed.
Potsy's reaction got me, because it embodies every possible reaction from the community.

Guy on the left: happy because he didn't want him.
Guy on the right, with the sunglasses: completely neutral, didn't care.
Guy on the center: [SCREAMS INTO THE VOID]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the characters from it are popular and very recognizable, I'd argue they should. They might not end up being more unique than the options from franchises like FE or Xenoblade, but at least they'd attract more people than the latter.
That is not what you originally said.

Aside from the last part of the last sentence, your argument doesn't resemble the OP post at all.
Besides, as someone who hasn't played that many Zelda games I struggle to think of a potential Zelda newcomer that would appease a wider audience than just the most hardcore of Zelda fans.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Snake is a Playable character, Bomberman is a AT.

The next in line is Simon Belmont, and the LEAK said it was Him.

So...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is how to fix it on Chrome:

-go to settings (the three dots in the top right corner)
-go to More Tools
-click on Clear Browing Data
-Check off "cached images and files" (just select this, so your passwords are saved)
-click Clear Data

You should now be able to see the new icons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
8. Henry Fleming
Another resource management character who uses his steam-based Eagle Rifle and military combat training in order to fight.
I lowkey forgot Codename S.T.E.A.M. was even a thing

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You'll laugh but I kind of see it as a possibility. As a surprise final secret character. Only fitting that the man himself joins the battle in Ultimate, is it not?

We know characters can be downsized, and sure it would be weird to have a small floating hand around, but with a comprehensive move set already established but in need of tweaking to be playable, the groundwork is already there.

His finger poke could be ftilt. He could slide down in an arc for dtilt. He flicks his finger up for utilt.
Grabs are easy enough. He just grabs you and he already has all the throws in game. He uses his thumb to hit you while you are being grabbed.

Dash attack could be a smaller version of the side punch he does with Crazy Hand with his fist.

B: Missiles
Side-B: Cards - makes platforms for himself and they harm anyone on them.
Up-B: That aerial move when he goes up and comes back down to a flurry of multi-hit finger attacks, just without the latter and balanced.
Down-B: the aforementioned flurry of attacks.

Final Smash: Crazy Hand shows up and rips open the dimension, sending anyone caught in the attack towards the abyss.

There we go, Master Hand confirmed!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

A compilation of people's reaction to Waluigi being disconfirmed.
Seriously if this passes the test of time I could see Waluigi being the next Ridley. But seeing as the next game could be a decade or so from now, it would have to be more than just a sudden reaction, I mean it hasn't even been a week yet.

Also there's the fact that we don't even know what the iteration will be, might not even be smash as we know it...ok need to focus on ultimate and stop looking that far ahead lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom