• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
This is how to fix it on Chrome:

-go to settings (the three dots in the top right corner)
-go to More Tools
-click on Clear Browing Data
-Check off "cached images and files" (just select this, so your passwords are saved)
-click Clear Data

You should now be able to see the new icons.
Just did, thank you! ~

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
QUESTION:

If you could choose a SNK Character to enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which character would you choose?

While there are some ridiculous choices that I'd like to see, such as Rugal Bernstein, I feel like Terry Bogard (from Fatal Fury and King of Fighters) would be my first pick. His moves give him a lot of maneuverability, his Engrish shouting and sheer energy would make him fun to play as, and he's seen as SNK's mascot for all intents and purposes.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What if we got Master Hand as an unlockable fighter this time around? Like a revamped one, just to celebrate "everyone" being here (he was playable in Melee after all :troll:). It would have been fanservice we did not even know we wanted.
Honestly, at this point, I'm half expecting the last newcomer revealed before release to be Sandbag. It'd be the ultimate Sakurai move and a perfect note for him to end on.

Pakky

Smash Hero

A compilation of people's reaction to Waluigi being disconfirmed.
This amount of fan outcry gets games made.

I hope Waluigi gets something out of all of this.

It's weird in all these years Wario has two franchises, Luigi has one, and Waluigi has nothing.

Seriously if this passes the test of time I could see Waluigi being the next Ridley. But seeing as the next game could be a decade or so from now, it would have to be more than just a sudden reaction, I mean it hasn't even been a week yet.

Also there's the fact that we don't even know what the iteration will be, might not even be smash as we know it...ok need to focus on ultimate and stop looking that far ahead lol.
It might be bigger than that honestly. In all this time he has gotten no recognition from Nintendo in anything but sports and spin-off games. Every other "plumber" has a game franchise of sorts now but him. He's been around for 18 years now...

Also, this has made it to wikipedia with cited sources...

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
You'll laugh but I kind of see it as a possibility. As a surprise final secret character. Only fitting that the man himself joins the battle in Ultimate, is it not?

We know characters can be downsized, and sure it would be weird to have a small floating hand around, but with a comprehensive move set already established but in need of tweaking to be playable, the groundwork is already there.

His finger poke could be ftilt. He could slide down in an arc for dtilt. He flicks his finger up for utilt.
Grabs are easy enough. He just grabs you and he already has all the throws in game. He uses his thumb to hit you while you are being grabbed.

Dash attack could be a smaller version of the side punch he does with Crazy Hand with his fist.

B: Missiles
Side-B: Cards - makes platforms for himself and they harm anyone on them.
Up-B: That aerial move when he goes up and comes back down to a flurry of multi-hit finger attacks, just without the latter and balanced.
Down-B: the aforementioned flurry of attacks.

Final Smash: Crazy Hand shows up and rips open the dimension, sending anyone caught in the attack towards the abyss.

There we go, Master Hand confirmed!
Not even laughing. I think it would be pretty epic, if this was the last game.
Finally taking the road with the hand himself.

Graizen

Smash Champion
While there are some ridiculous choices that I'd like to see, such as Rugal Bernstein, I feel like Terry Bogard (from Fatal Fury and King of Fighters) would be my first pick. His moves give him a lot of maneuverability, his Engrish shouting and sheer energy would make him fun to play as, and he's seen as SNK's mascot for all intents and purposes.
Don't you think Kyo is a better mascot?
They put Kyo vs Ryu in CvS and etc.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Honestly, at this point, I'm half expecting the last newcomer revealed before release to be Sandbag. It'd be the ultimate Sakurai move and a perfect note for him to end on.
Sandbag actually has quite a bit of practicality to his inclusion, in a way: he has so little articulation that his animations would much faster to make than most other characters. That’s a main reason he even got into SSF2 (there, almost all of his animations are based on just three sprites, unlike the tons of sprites most other characters have.)
This amount of fan outcry gets games made.

I hope Waluigi gets something out of all of this.

It's weird in all these years Wario has two franchises, Luigi has one, and Waluigi has nothing.
First, though, Waluigi fans will have to prove that their fandom is actual fandom that leads to sales, somehow (IDK how...?) Internet attention won’t necessarily lead to sales (if they only want to see the memes, they can watch videos / streams and not buy the game,) although it probably helps.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sandbag actually has quite a bit of practicality to his inclusion, in a way: he has so little articulation that his animations would much faster to make than most other characters. That’s a main reason he even got into SSF2 (there, almost all of his animations are based on just three sprites, unlike the tons of sprites most other characters have.)

First, though, Waluigi fans will have to prove that their fandom is actual fandom that leads to sales, somehow (IDK how...?) Internet attention won’t necessarily lead to sales (if they only want to see the memes, they can watch videos / streams and not buy the game,) although it probably helps.
Memes do have the potential to turn into actual love, which turns into sales.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Protoman and X are both in Megaman's final smash.

this is another reason i REALLY dont think third parties are getting echo characters like everyone seems to be guessing at. i mean frankly i dont think there will be many echos at all but specifically with the third party characters im very doubtful where others seem so certain.

if they intended to do Shadow and Ken then they'd have left protoman out of megamans final smash and given him an echo too, like theres not even a question in my mind that they'd do echos across the board if they intended to do so for third parties: shadow / ken / protoman / ms pacman / zack / jeanna

with protoman deconfirmed (and other reasons) i HIGHLY doubt we'd get any of the other third party echos, especially because protoman didnt even need to BE deconfirmed he was ADDED to megamans final smash for this game only.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I like Waluigi enough for him to be in the Mario spin-offs but the fact the memes are the main reasons people want him makes me think the character has a long way to go to be playable.

Got the next decade to truly be special, at least.

D

Deleted member

While I certainly do enjoy all the Waluigi memes, I do actually like the character outside of that stuff and I think he would legitimately be a fun add.

As for his actual chances in the future? Pretty slim, I'd say; Daisy only seems to have gotten in on the technicality of being an easy choice for Peach's Echo Fighter, which is pretty much nothing more than a simple model swap with slight effect changes.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Zelda got love in the shape of revamp and buffed veterans. Ganondorf is a healthy 50/50 split on what the Smash and Zelda communties wanted, Link's fighting style has drastically changed to have more stage control options for his zoning, and Zelda seems less laggy and able to string a few things together at last. They also brought back Young Link because why not?

The only newcomer I still see as feasible is Impa as an echo or semi-clone, which I can take or leave. The series has so much content in stages, music, and items now that it feels just right.
Ganondorf had 3 moves changed, Link had 1 move altered, Zelda just got buffs. They didn't exactly get revamped imo. And as a Zelda fan I'd like an actual newcomer tbh.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
this is another reason i REALLY dont think third parties are getting echo characters like everyone seems to be guessing at. i mean frankly i dont think there will be many echos at all but specifically with the third party characters im very doubtful where others seem so certain.

if they intended to do Shadow and Ken then they'd have left protoman out of megamans final smash and given him an echo too, like theres not even a question in my mind that they'd do echos across the board if they intended to do so for third parties: shadow / ken / protoman / ms pacman / zack / jeanna

with protoman deconfirmed (and other reasons) i HIGHLY doubt we'd get any of the other third party echos, especially because protoman didnt even need to BE deconfirmed he was ADDED to megamans final smash for this game only.
Proto Man and Bass aren't similar to Mega Man at all, at least in 9 and 10.

Dark Samus has more going for her as an Echo possibility than Shadow or Ken right now, IMO. BUT that doesn't mean they won't show up as ones. It probably opens up the Door to the Octolings as ones (although those were guessed before the game was revealed), but I'm not entirely sold on that idea since their hair is completely different, meaning different hitboxes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I feel like Waluigi needs his own game that could help him stand out more compared to everyone else.

He needs his own game and something that doesn't make him seem like a massive meme.

As much as people give Daisy hell for not being as unique as Waluigi, she has seniority and can be implemented easier than him.

Instead of blaming Sakurai for not making him a full fighter, how about blaming Nintendo for not fleshing him out more than just a spin-off fodder.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I feel like Waluigi needs his own game that could help him stand out more compared to everyone else.

He needs his own game and something that doesn't make him seem like a massive meme.

As much as people give Daisy hell for not being as unique as Waluigi, she has seniority and can be implemented easier than him.

Instead of blaming Sakurai for not making him a full fighter, how about blaming Nintendo for not fleshing him out more than just a spin-off fodder.
And Daisy is in the mainline games.

But yeah that's what I'm saying, 18 years...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So premium users can now choose between their Smash 3DS, Smash Wii U, or Smash Ultimate main? SmashBoards doesn't seem to care about Rosalina, so someone has to help her out.

Edit: Seems that the system still has some bugs, because I don't see Rosalina's Smash Ultimate stock icon on my list of mains.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Even if Waluigi were to be given a game. How serious would it be?
What would be the tone of the game? Would it be "meme'd" out to the point of no return?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Even if Waluigi were to be given a game. How serious would it be?
What would be the tone of the game? Would it be "meme'd" out to the point of no return?

To be fair all popular games have memes even if they take an arrow to the knee.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ganondorf had 3 moves changed, Link had 1 move altered, Zelda just got buffs. They didn't exactly get revamped imo. And as a Zelda fan I'd like an actual newcomer tbh.
Link has an entirely new grab, recovery and zoning game. That's a sizable change in Smash Bros.
Ganondorf's three moves are fanservice and change his approach and neutral game quite a bit.

The Zelda series definitely got more attention paid to it for balancing and how they function.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
if dark samus is in it should be as a new character not an echo. sonic and shadow it works not only because they have similar/same moves but in canon get mixed up a lot. (similiar to lucina pretending to be marth). dark samus on the other hand are very different entities and have diffferent powers and abilities. her assist trophy moves reflect that.
on a side note for all my bayo people that know the lore. why is rodin summoning limbs as an assist trophy? he's flat out stronger than bayo so why not just have him punch or transform into his father form?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Link had more than one move altered... as well as the bombs, he can pick up the arrows from his bow once they hit the ground and either throw them or fire them again for a double arrow, his jab 3 is a slash rather than a stab, his grab is no longer a tether, and there are other changes like him having significantly more reach with his sword slashes.

They changed a significant quantity of Zelda’s animations, changing her mannerisms for a lot of her attacks. While her overall moveset is basically the same, it’s a significant amount of effort put into her animations.

DACSHeyes

Smash Cadet
on a side note for all my bayo people that know the lore. why is rodin summoning limbs as an assist trophy? he's flat out stronger than bayo so why not just have him punch or transform into his father form?
He uses Wicked Weaves when fighting Bayonetta in the second game, even before he transforms into his full demon form, I'd guess it's because he's based on that fight rather than his playable version in Tag Climax.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because Rodin is holding back. People who know Rodin knows this isn't him at his best.

Plus if you do his father form, you might as well make him a boss

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Make Waluigi Pinball an eShop game. BAM! problem solved

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Daisy was in Super Mario Run.

Waluigi wasn't. That says alot
At the same time, the Waluigi costume appeared in Super Mario Maker long before the Daisy one did, and there’s still that minimal effort Waluigi costume in Odyssey while there isn’t a costume in reference to Daisy.
Then, on Daisy’s end there’s stuff like that she appeared in Mario Kart 7 while Waluigi didin’t.
Overall, it’s just very inconsistent.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the Zelda cast look like they got changed pretty substantially. Link especially looks like he'll be pretty different, with the new detonating bombs mechanic and being able to pick up previously fired arrows. All of that on top of a new grab and increased reach show that Link's gonna be pretty different this go around.

While Zelda still has a lot of the same moves, a lot of the hitboxes and animations look pretty different, not to mention I think she might have a few new moves as well(?)

Ganondorf still shares stuff with Falcon, sure, but he looks waaaaay more unique than he ever has before; I truly do believe he's gonna play differently than just "a heavy Captain Falcon". While that element will still be there, all the changes given to him are gonna bring a lot more to the table, I think.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, the Zelda cast look like they got changed pretty substantially. Link especially looks like he'll be pretty different, with the new detonating bombs mechanic and being able to pick up previously fired arrows. All of that on top of a new grab and increased reach show that Link's gonna be pretty different this go around.

While Zelda still has a lot of the same moves, a lot of the hitboxes and animations look pretty different, not to mention I think she might have a few new moves as well(?)

Ganondorf still shares stuff with Falcon, sure, but he looks waaaaay more unique than he ever has before; I truly do believe he's gonna play differently than just "a heavy Captain Falcon". While that element will still be there, all the changes given to him are gonna bring a lot more to the table, I think.
Ironically, the one who changed the least is Young Link. He who we all said would need a major moveset revamp to be considered. Looks like his older counterpart took one for the team.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
At the same time, the Waluigi costume appeared in Super Mario Maker long before the Daisy one did, and there’s still that minimal effort Waluigi costume in Odyssey while there isn’t a costume in reference to Daisy.
Then, on Daisy’s end there’s stuff like that she appeared in Mario Kart 7 while Waluigi didin’t.
Overall, it’s just very inconsistent.
But they did end up adding the costume, and they acknowledged the outcry for it. I think the fact that Daisy appears in Super Mario Run is because of the fan outcry of Mario Maker. Also Super Mario Run is considered a canon game according to Nintendo (for some...reason) so that doubles Daisy's canonical appearences from 1 to 2. And Waluigi is still at 0.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
QUESTION:

If you could choose a SNK Character to enter Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which character would you choose?

My choices would be between Terry Bogard, Kyo Kusanagi or Athena Asamiya.

I could see the likes of Geese Howard or Ryo Sakazaki as assist trophies.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
QUESTION / IMAGINE

We're at EVO, and Smash Bros Ultimate has a new trailer to be introduced.
In this Trailer, in homage to the fighting games, the five characters below are revealed.

1 -
What would be your reaction?
2 - What would be the reaction of the internet?

SmashFighter.jpg

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
QUESTION / IMAGINE

We're at EVO, and Smash Bros Ultimate has a new trailer to be introduced.
In this Trailer, in homage to the fighting games, the five characters below are revealed.

1 - What would be your reaction?
2 - What would be the reaction of the internet?

View attachment 148741
1. "Welp, not buying that game."
2. I wouldn't care what the internet thinks about it any more.

And, sorry, but anime characters are not an homage to fighting games.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
But they did end up adding the costume, and they acknowledged the outcry for it. I think the fact that Daisy appears in Super Mario Run is because of the fan outcry of Mario Maker. Also Super Mario Run is considered a canon game according to Nintendo (for some...reason) so that doubles Daisy's canonical appearences from 1 to 2. And Waluigi is still at 0.
I mean, people can attack me for this one, but the ONLY reason Daisy is in over Waluigi at the end of the day isn't due to Canon appearances, but because she is easier to make as a full on clone of Peach. Waluigi can't be cloned from someone. He's just too distinct.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

If Waluigi got a game where his character was fleshed out beyond the flanderized catchphrase dispenser that he is now, my opinion of him would increase dramatically. I'd probably even support him for the next Smash if something like that were to happen. As it stands, however, Waluigi's too much of a memed-out caricature and not enough of an actual character for me to even be able to like him. And when a character lacks characterization even by Mario standards, that's when you know it's bad.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I mean, people can attack me for this one, but the ONLY reason Daisy is in over Waluigi at the end of the day isn't due to Canon appearances, but because she is easier to make as a full on clone of Peach. Waluigi can't be cloned from someone. He's just too distinct.
Indeed, he doesn't even share a frame with anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom