• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyone notice how on the Blog, Inkling is shown as "#62: Inkling" when their trailer says they're #64, but Ridley's Character of the Day shows on both fronts he's #65?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Ok, so here’s a unrelated but happy thought I had. The commentators keep mentioning that this game is supposed to be aggressive, so much so that it seems like they were told to say that to make it a selling point of the game. So even though whether it actually favors aggression is up for debate, at least they’re trying to make Ulitmate a competitive game.
Yeah, and since people are playing it at these demos and the results of that are relevant for how they'll continue to balance the game, it looks like there's a pretty good chance that it will be more effective at awarding that playstyle by launch.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Viridi and Palutena roasting the life out of Chrom for being a copy of someone else > Chrom being playable
>Implying sweet sweet revenge story about the poor low-chance Challenger vs bullies aren't the best thing ever
>Not wanting Chrom to take on Captain Falcon/Pit/Palutena during his trailer while protecting Robin who protected Lucina when he failed
>Not wanting to give Chrom his chance today

Step on my level senpai.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
I just realized something crazy about this game now that all veterans are in. Smash DLC can only be newcomers! I personally was dissapointed that half of the Smash 4 dlc was veterans (Mewtwo was needed, Roy is eh and Lucas should just not have been cut). It'll be way more exciting anticipating dlc characters now.

Seriously now that Ridley is out of the way and I can rest easy this is the most fun Smash anticipation u have ever had.

Kind of sidenote...why are we discussing future smash already? We haven't even finished finding out about this one lol.
People are so excited its crazy. I'm extremely happy with the direction Nintedo is taking with Smash, the switch and just how they role in general, it seems like they've learned from the Wii U

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Anyone notice how on the Blog, Inkling is shown as "#62: Inkling" when their trailer says they're #64, but Ridley's Character of the Day shows on both fronts he's #65?
It depends on whether you count the 3 echoes or not I suppose?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's simple; the trailers were made quite a bit beforehand and the final edition just changed the number.

Kind of funny when these silly things happen. Heck, Olimar's page says "Olimer" in the background.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Quick off topic question
How long of a lifespan do you think SSBU will have? Taking into account that they're trying to make it really competitive and that all characters and more will be in the game.

Just had the thought, because Melee is still going due to the massive community and competitive support unlike sm4sh.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Quick off topic question
How long of a lifespan do you think SSBU will have? Taking into account that they're trying to make it really competitive and that all characters and more will be in the game.

Just had the thought, because Melee is still going due to the massive community and competitive support unlike sm4sh.
No way to know until we get our hands on the final build.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Quick off topic question

Smash 4 is still alive and strong....unless you mean after Ultimate comes out.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>Implying sweet sweet revenge story about the poor low-chance Challenger vs bullies aren't the best thing ever
>Not wanting Chrom to take on Captain Falcon/Pit/Palutena during his trailer while protecting Robin who protected Lucina when he failed
>Not wanting to give Chrom his chance today

Step on my level senpai.
- If Waluigi can’t get his way, Chrom shall not either (cause even if he gets in as an echo, the goddesses will still roast him for copying another FE character)
- Why would he take on Pit, aka the one guy who didn’t even disrespect or murder him (unless it’s due to his associations with Palutena...or due to him being illiterate)?
- Give someone else a chance...like Shadow

I don’t wanna be a senpai
If you're referring to my Smash Wii U hacking career, I never purchased Bayonetta at all.
didn’t even know about your hacking career, but I was referencing the E3 direct when they used Waluigi to show off how beating up an AT character gives you an extra point seconds after being deconfirmed for Smash as a playable character...and after Daisy joined the battle.
Quick off topic question

Way too long

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
No way to know until we get our hands on the final build.
One more question
Do you think Square Enix will consider putting KH3 on the switch? If I had to decide I'd def do it, switch sales are amazing and they just keep getting better with all the 3rd party support.

Smash 4 is still alive and strong....unless you mean after Ultimate comes out.
yeah, I meant after ultimate comes out.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Quick off topic question

I guess it all comes down to how well the developers do with the balancing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I'm (mostly) down for clones if it means more characters get representation in Smash to circumvent things like time constraints when characters are unable to get proper, distinctive move sets; or if their character mostly resembles another's anyway.

Characters like Ken or Akuma would work nicely as echo fighters, just give them their respective elements for their version of Ryu's attacks are usually associated with (fire and electricity respectively) and... well, that's it, aside from things like voice-overs and what not.

Characters being echo fighters like Ninten are kind of absurd to me, mostly because he doesn't have any sort of offensive PSI that Ness and Lucas do in their respective games, so I would at least expect for him to be a fighter that mostly uses physical attacks with a few PSI abilities that are unique to him.
I feel my post might've been a bit misconstrued, and if so, my bad. But I wasn't coming down on clones. I don't mind clones (I don't like some of the characters who become clones, but that's another issue), I just think it's fairly surreal that people seemingly think, or at least act, as if we're dealing with something that hasn't been present in the series since its outset. Or that there's been some paradigm shift greater than near direct clones just being given a name.

It's like if Sakurai rounded up the heavyweights and said their official branding was "Bruisers", and then people went mad try to populate a niche that's been present since the beginning.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Give someone else a chance...like Shadow
I wouldn't mind if Shadow became an Echo... Since beside the Run/Stand/win/taunt animation he's a perfect fit though my only Problem will be the purist going banana with MUH THIRD PARTY SECOND REP.
Oh- and that I wished he could use Chaos Control like a witch time like move

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know I'm probably mega late to all this but I don't see it either this thread or the Pichu thread. Was there a reason Pichu had his own little bar above his portrait during that roster trailer that showed everyone coming back?

pichu.png

In the same shot, not even blurred out Marth portrait has a bar like that on there. Maybe there's a new gimmick to balance out Pichu hurting itself?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I know I'm probably mega late to all this but I don't see it either this thread or the Pichu thread. Was there a reason Pichu had his own little bar above his portrait during that roster trailer that showed everyone coming back?

View attachment 148230
In the same shot, not even blurred out Marth portrait has a bar like that on there. Maybe there's a new gimmick to balance out Pichu hurting itself?
IIRC I think that's just a zoomed in platform

Last edited:

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
I wouldn't mind if Shadow became an Echo... Since beside the Run/Stand/win/taunt animation he's a perfect fit though my only Problem will be the purist going banana with MUH THIRD PARTY SECOND REP.
I wouldn't mind Shadow in the game either.

View attachment 148230
Im not sure, I also think it might have something to due with the mechanic Pichu uses in hurting itself.

Ever think that Pichu might be a Masochist?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Quick off topic question

It’ll probably last until Smash 6, which likely won’t happen until Nintendo’s next console (which could be quite a ways off if the Switch continues to sell well.) I can imagine this being the pattern: the big two games are the newest one and Melee, with 64 continuing to have its own smaller but still notable player base.

I wonder what would happen if a future game is considered to be really disappointing in the way MvCI was, though. Would people switch to that new game anyway, stay in the previous one, or just abandon all that for Melee (and 64) only? Notice how people didn’t switch back to MVC3, although, that’s a bit different as there are other similar games in the genre, while no other platform fighter has similar scope to Smash.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Quick off topic question

Unless it's obscenely bad I bet it'll live at least all the way until the Smash after it gets released. I mean, Smash 4 is sizing down yet it's still alive and kicking after all this time, Hyrule Saga is just around the corner and has like 600 or so entrants, people are going to play it and stay interested in it for a long time because it's Smash.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
It’ll probably last until Smash 6, which likely won’t happen until Nintendo’s next console (which could be quite a ways off if the Switch continues to sell well.) I can imagine this being the pattern: the big two games are the newest one and Melee, with 64 continuing to have its own smaller but still notable player base.

I wonder what would happen if a future game is considered to be really disappointing in the way MvCI was, though. Would people switch to that new game anyway, stay in the previous one, or just abandon all that for Melee (and 64) only? Notice how people didn’t switch back to MVC3, although, that’s a bit different as there are other similar games in the genre, while no other platform fighter has similar scope to Smash.
I think with new games comes new meta and some people would like to play the new game competitive or just stick to the older one when talking about Smash but I think other competitive games are treated differently, even though MvCI is garbage people continue to play it just like they did with Street Fighter (not sure if older SF games are played competitively).

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Marvel vs Capcom 3 cut a ton of characters from 2. In fact, the roster went from the 56 to 36 characters, and this includes the 20 or so new characters they added. Marvel vs Capcom 3 outsold 2 and is the best selling game in the series. Large rosters by themselves don't make a more successful game, so Marvel vs Capcom is a bad example.

The problem is that Smash Bros can't continue on its current trejectory. The game will very likely have 70 characters at the end of it. If people want a new title, they'll also expect new characters, but that only balloons the number further. To illistrate, 64 had 12 characters. Melee had 25. Brawl had 35. Smash 4 had 48 (51 with Miis), and had 55 (58 with Miis) after the DLC. The roster has 66 characters now. This can not continue indefinitaly. We've already pasted the upper limit. "Big roster" isn't going to be a selling point anymore.

The way for Smash to continue is to rethink Smash. The series has to have its BoTW moment and figure out what it is and where it needs to go. That's nice that you can say "Hey all the characters are back," but what happens with the next game. That is the issue.
Marvel vs Capcom is actually a good and bad example. While 3 suffered from many cuts, it also added popular and varied choices. Infinite on the other hand, didn't have as many popular additions meaning it couldn't make up for what it lost (X-men, more out there but still popular Capcom picks).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

View attachment 148230
It could potentially be a meter that shows how frequently Pichu used its electric-based attacks. If the meter gets full, then that could mean bad news for Pichu if it uses another electric-based attack.

But this is just speculation on my end.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’d want to see Shadow use nearly every Chaos move if possible (and sound as edgy as possible)

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Personally, I think people are OD on echo characters. At this point people are just saying characters. This is just pure speculation at this point and not a lot of discussion about what actually was showcased at e3 or the direct. It's literally been echo character theory for most of these pages. Personally I don't think there will be that many echo characters introduced and I personally don't want a bunch of clones in the games (just give me alts like Alph). Have you not seen ganondorf stuck being a falcon clone until now and the complaints people had? Rather prefer Sakurai to just do alts for most of these echo recommendations.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Is Ashley still MIA from the assist trophy list? She wasn't in Wario's trailer and I haven't seen anyone say they've seen her. Considering her popularity it's giving me hope she was promoted.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Now that Daisy is in and Dry Bowser could go either way, Impa would make the most sense

Viridi and Palutena roasting the life out of Chrom for being a copy of someone else > Chrom being playable
PIT: Whoah, the Ike clone from last time really got in!
CHROM: You're right I did! I got my chance another day!
VIRIDI: Really!?! What? Why you? I thought we established you were literally a clone!!
PALUTENA: Hold up Virdi, Hold up Chrom. You're one of those "Echo Fighters", aren't you?
PIT: An "Echo" what?
VIRIDI: What?
PALUTENA: In this installment of Smash Bros., some characters are taking on the moveset of other characters and joining the fray. These fighters are known as "Echo Fighters" because of their similarities to another character on the roster.
PIT: Uh... Palutena... you just CRASHED into the fourth wall!!!
PALUTENA: I don't know what you're talking about, Pit...
VIRIDI: Anyways, it turned out to be true! You're STILL a clone! You didn't even get your own chance.... you got Ike's!
CHROM: Hey! It's still better than what you managed to get!
VIRIDI: You little-!
VIRIDI: Well, I'd rather have this role as a commentator over than have a role as essentially a whole other character. My moveset would be better than all of yours, COMBINED! I'm just too good for this!
PIT: Hey, if he's just Ike... then his weaknesses are Ike's too, right?
PALUTENA: Yes. "Echo Fighters" share weaknesses and strengths with their counterparts.
PIT: Oh, this should be easy then!
PALUTENA: Watch out, though. "Echo Fighters" have a few adjustments. In Chrom's case, instead of the ferocious fires Ike starts, Chrom can wield the power of thunder.
VIRIDI: Lame!!!! I'm the Goddess of Nature, that's gonna do nothing to me!
CHROM: You wouldn't have that same mindset if you got out of your box and fought!
VIRIDI: Yes, I would! I would just send your thunder attacks RIGHT BACK at you! Gods, just because you cloned Ike's moveset didn't mean you had to clone his brain! How'd Robin, the tactician, even get paired up with YOU?
PALUTENA: Viridi, enough. I think it's time we see who wins this fight: Ike Two.... or Pit One...
PIT: Oh, you did NOT just go there!

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Okay so guys.

Guys we need to talk about Zelda.

She is so... FUN.

I got to play more Smash today (The line was INSANELY fast, I think there's a very good chance I'll get to play a LOT more tomorrow) and tried Zelda first. I have never liked Zelda as a fighter, she's just been so boring and basic and bad.

...I enjoyed her so much that I played her for all 4 of my remaining matches.

I don't know WHAT it is, but she just has so much more OOMPH to everything she does and it is incredible. And the Phantom?! You can set it up wherever, even in mid air, and it will lunge forward quickly and attack after a certain point, and hits pretty hard. I threw someone into it as it lunged forward and nailed it, it was SO satisfying.

And Din's Fire doesn't put you in free fall anymore and everything she does just has so much more ENERGY and expressiveness to it!

I'm floored, of all the veterans we have I never thought Zelda would be the biggest draw to me. I dunno if she's GREAT, but she is better, absolutely no doubt there. I am very much looking forward to playing her more.

...Also, the most hilarious thing happened. We ended up on New Pork after picking random, and of course Lucas's good friend the Chimera is back. But I ended up getting the Squid Sisters when pulling an assist, and the CHIMERA LITERALLY PROWLED AROUND IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME, and there was VERY little room to move since we were on the bottom part of New Pork, so all three of the guys I was playing with got chomp'd. I barely managed to dance around him. But we all got a good laugh.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Yoshi has a new Forward Tilt. I see it during when they presented the Spirit Trains stage in the Direct.
How mad are you that Yoshi's game wasn't seen at E3.

That actually makes me think, do you think that Nintendo's presentation had too much Smash in it? Were you guys mad that you didn't see Metroid Prime, Yoshi and other games?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Roberk

Smash Champion
Honest question: Was Daisy THAT popular that she became a character, or she is only a character because she was an easy echo character to make?
I think it was both. Daisy and Waluigi were similar in importance but Daisy is just Yellow/Orange Peach while Waluigi has his own tall, lanky build. The step from Peach to Daisy as a clone was maybe even easier than Marth to Lucina, and we know that that took very little effort.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Okay so guys.

She is so... FUN.

I got to play more Smash today (The line was INSANELY fast, I think there's a very good chance I'll get to play a LOT more tomorrow) and tried Zelda first. I have never liked Zelda as a fighter, she's just been so boring and basic and bad.

I don't know WHAT it is, but she just has so much more OOMPH to everything she does and it is incredible. And the Phantom?! You can set it up wherever, even in mid air, and it will lunge forward quickly and attack after a certain point, and hits pretty hard. I threw someone into it as it lunged forward and nailed it, it was SO satisfying.

And Din's Fire doesn't put you in free fall anymore and everything she does just has so much more ENERGY and expressiveness to it!

I'm floored, of all the veterans we have I never thought Zelda would be the biggest draw to me. I dunno if she's GREAT, but she is better, absolutely no doubt there. I am very much looking forward to playing her more.

...Also, the most hilarious thing happened. We ended up on New Pork after picking random, and of course Lucas's good friend the Chimera is back. But I ended up getting the Squid Sisters when pulling an assist, and the CHIMERA LITERALLY PROWLED AROUND IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME, and there was VERY little room to move since we were on the bottom part of New Pork, so all three of the guys I was playing with got chomp'd. I barely managed to dance around him. But we all got a good laugh.
you lucky *****... you got to play it??!?!?!?!? :003:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Okay so guys.

She is so... FUN.

Man I wish I could play it now, but simply watching has made me excited for Zelda. I've always wanted to play her but she seemed so stock and boring in prior games, not to mention bad. Being an expressive character can make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom