• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Some quick thoughts on stages:

If Delfino Plaza returns then every traditional* 3D Mario game will be represented with a stage.

Princess Peach's Castle - Super Mario 64
Delfino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
New Donk City - Super Mario Odyssey

* - Traditional may not be the best term to use based on the differences between the above mentioned games but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I suppose if one wanted to they could count 3D Land as a stage representing both 3D games or maybe we'll just get a 3D World stage though that seems unlikely.

Similarly, if Pirate Ship returns we will have a stage representing every 3D Zelda game.

Hyrule Castle 64 - Ocarina of Time
Great Bay - Majora's Mask
Pirate Ship - The Wind Waker
Bridge of Eldin - Twilight Princess
Skyloft - Skyward Sword
Great Plateau Tower - Breath of the Wild

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It may seem pretty weird but I'm most hyped for my main boy :4littlemac:. Seeing him not die from side lunging off the stage restored my faith in humanity (and it also can make some sick edgeguarding kills). His KO punch seeming to have more range (veritcal at least) is also great to see. Things are starting to look up for him, hopefully he makes himself a bigger name up the tier list.

his and DK's ora ora final smash is also my life now

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
How mad are you that Yoshi's game wasn't seen at E3.

That actually makes me think, do you think that Nintendo's presentation had too much Smash in it? Were you guys mad that you didn't see Metroid Prime, Yoshi and other gameS?
Disappointed, but hey, **** happens. I was more mad at how bare bones Nintendo's E3 was besides Smash. Not even any info on the upcoming Online Service. You'd think that a Quality of Life changing service that supposedly comes out in 3 months would get a mention at the largest gaming expo in the world, but I guess Nintendo thought it was a no biggy!!!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
PIT: Whoah, the Ike clone from last time really got in!
CHROM: You're right I did! I got my chance another day!
VIRIDI: Really!?! What? Why you? I thought we established you were literally a clone!!
PALUTENA: Hold up Virdi, Hold up Chrom. You're one of those "Echo Fighters", aren't you?
PIT: An "Echo" what?
VIRIDI: What?
PALUTENA: In this installment of Smash Bros., some characters are taking on the moveset of other characters and joining the fray. These fighters are known as "Echo Fighters" because of their similarities to another character on the roster.
PIT: Uh... Palutena... you just CRASHED into the fourth wall!!!
PALUTENA: I don't know what you're talking about, Pit...
VIRIDI: Anyways, it turned out to be true! You're STILL a clone! You didn't even get your own chance.... you got Ike's!
CHROM: Hey! It's still better than what you managed to get!
VIRIDI: You little-!
VIRIDI: Well, I'd rather have this role as a commentator over than have a role as essentially a whole other character. My moveset would be better than all of yours, COMBINED! I'm just too good for this!
PIT: Hey, if he's just Ike... then his weaknesses are Ike's too, right?
PALUTENA: Yes. "Echo Fighters" share weaknesses and strengths with their counterparts.
PIT: Oh, this should be easy then!
PALUTENA: Watch out, though. "Echo Fighters" have a few adjustments. In Chrom's case, instead of the ferocious fires Ike starts, Chrom can wield the power of thunder.
VIRIDI: Lame!!!! I'm the Goddess of Nature, that's gonna do nothing to me!
CHROM: You wouldn't have that same mindset if you got out of your box and fought!
VIRIDI: Yes, I would! I would just send your thunder attacks RIGHT BACK at you! Gods, just because you cloned Ike's moveset didn't mean you had to clone his brain! How'd Robin, the tactician, even get paired up with YOU?
PALUTENA: Viridi, enough. I think it's time we see who wins this fight: Ike Two.... or Pit One...
PIT: Oh, you did NOT just go there!
Besides the lack of Pit saying “Lady” before saying Palutena, this fits the Kid Icarus mold pretty well...though it does remind me of how much I’d love to see Viridi make a physical appearance outside of trophies/idols
Like in his Gamecube game. Oh boy what if he had guns, the edginess would happen all over again.
Guns and Edge...also every taunt must use the word damn for no reason other than edge
Some quick thoughts on stages:

If Delfino Plaza returns then every traditional* 3D Mario game will be represented with a stage.

Princess Peach's Castle - Super Mario 64
Delfino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
New Donk City - Super Mario Odyssey

* - Traditional may not be the best term to use based on the differences between the above mentioned games but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I suppose if one wanted to they could count 3D Land as a stage representing both 3D games or maybe we'll just get a 3D World stage though that seems unlikely.

Similarly, if Pirate Ship returns we will have a stage representing every 3D Zelda game.

Hyrule Castle 64 - Ocarina of Time
Great Bay - Majora's Mask
Pirate Ship - The Wind Waker
Bridge of Eldin - Twilight Princess
Skyloft - Skyward Sword
Great Plateau Tower - Breath of the Wild
Delfino and Pirate Ship are some of the best stages in the Mario and Zelda series, so they better make a comeback
So are you saying Zelda finally got buffed?
that’s what it sounds like...Zelda might actually be placed pretty high on tier lists

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Besides the lack of Pit saying “Lady” before saying Palutena, this fits the Kid Icarus mold pretty well...though it does remind me of how much I’d love to see Viridi make a physical appearance outside of trophies/idols

Guns and Edge...also every taunt must use the word damn for no reason other than edge

Delfino and Pirate Ship are some of the best stages in the Mario and Zelda series, so they better make a comeback

that’s what it sounds like...Zelda might actually be placed pretty high on tier lists
lmao yes

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
That'd make a heckofa lot of sense. That's how he started out after all.

Change Shoryuken from single to mult hit, add a fire effect and give him his flashier supers for his Final Smash.
I could definitely see it. Multi-hit Shoryuken, multi-hit Tatsu, slightly different Focus Attack. I could even see them removing the Street Fighter inputs for Ken for those that do not like the inputs in Smash. Not saying I want that, but food for thought. Ken was the only other Street fighter character to get a trophy too.
I'm a bit rusty with Street Fighter stuff. Would Sakura work as a Ryu Echo? iirc she was somewhat of a clone? I've only played IV on 3DS
Ehhh. I personally think Sakura would fit more under the semi-clone category. I can only see classic Ken or Evil Ryu being a true Echo Character for Ryu. But I think Evil Ryu would be better suited as an alternative costume for Ryu.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
you're right!!! it's been so long since I played KI:U or looked at the guidances, i honestly forgot it was Lady Palutena lol.

Viridi should definitely make a physical appearance though. Echo Fighter when? :laugh:

she'd be sooooo fun :^(

Roberk

Smash Champion
Community: Give us Ridley! No cuts! Bring back cut fighters! Put in more competitive mechanics!

Sakurai: Ok, here you go, this is the ultimate fanservice game!

Also community: WTF? Fewer newcomers? Why does Ridley look so weird? No Waluigi? This isn't what we asked for Sakurai!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
PIT: Whoah, the Ike clone from last time really got in!
CHROM: You're right I did! I got my chance another day!
VIRIDI: Really!?! What? Why you? I thought we established you were literally a clone!!
PALUTENA: Hold up Virdi, Hold up Chrom. You're one of those "Echo Fighters", aren't you?
PIT: An "Echo" what?
VIRIDI: What?
PALUTENA: In this installment of Smash Bros., some characters are taking on the moveset of other characters and joining the fray. These fighters are known as "Echo Fighters" because of their similarities to another character on the roster.
PIT: Uh... Palutena... you just CRASHED into the fourth wall!!!
PALUTENA: I don't know what you're talking about, Pit...
VIRIDI: Anyways, it turned out to be true! You're STILL a clone! You didn't even get your own chance.... you got Ike's!
CHROM: Hey! It's still better than what you managed to get!
VIRIDI: You little-!
VIRIDI: Well, I'd rather have this role as a commentator over than have a role as essentially a whole other character. My moveset would be better than all of yours, COMBINED! I'm just too good for this!
PIT: Hey, if he's just Ike... then his weaknesses are Ike's too, right?
PALUTENA: Yes. "Echo Fighters" share weaknesses and strengths with their counterparts.
PIT: Oh, this should be easy then!
PALUTENA: Watch out, though. "Echo Fighters" have a few adjustments. In Chrom's case, instead of the ferocious fires Ike starts, Chrom can wield the power of thunder.
VIRIDI: Lame!!!! I'm the Goddess of Nature, that's gonna do nothing to me!
CHROM: You wouldn't have that same mindset if you got out of your box and fought!
VIRIDI: Yes, I would! I would just send your thunder attacks RIGHT BACK at you! Gods, just because you cloned Ike's moveset didn't mean you had to clone his brain! How'd Robin, the tactician, even get paired up with YOU?
PALUTENA: Viridi, enough. I think it's time we see who wins this fight: Ike Two.... or Pit One...
PIT: Oh, you did NOT just go there!
This post makes me want to see Palutena's Guidance come back.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zelda's potential may be questionable right now, since I do recall some Nintendo Treehouse footage that had her getting beaten up by Ike.

younglinkaku

Smash Cadet
Yeah they are unlockable characters which I was really excited for and which I was really hoping for. Maybe that means an Adventure Mode??? Or they might just do the challenge thing like they did in melee. IDK but Im hoping for a new story similar to how they did Subspace Emissary

i started a charizard rock smash petition thread, please take a look and comment

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
I for one love how the **** Ridley looks. He's always looked weird. I love it so much he's like a xenomorph decomposing but with wings.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Zelda's potential may be questionable right now, since I do recall some Nintendo Treehouse footage that had her getting beaten up by Ike.
Well, Ike is top tier in this build. Just because she's being beaten up by one of the best characters doesn't mean she's bad.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well that is Treehouse footage, so they might not be the best source all the time
This makes me want to see Palutena's Guidance come back.
They’re practically guaranteed to return...but whether they’ll be reused+new lines recorded or everything is redone is the real question (same for Snake and his Codec Calls)
you're right!!! it's been so long since I played KI:U or looked at the guidances, i honestly forgot it was Lady Palutena lol.

Viridi should definitely make a physical appearance though. Echo Fighter when? :laugh:

she'd be sooooo fun :^(
If not an echo (to show that the Palutena Army is better than the Forces of Nature), then Viridi could use all of her minions against her enemies...plus Pit

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Disappointed, but hey, **** happens. I was more mad at how bare bones Nintendo's E3 was besides Smash. Not even any info on the upcoming Online Service. You'd think that a Quality of Life changing service that supposedly comes out in 3 months would get a mention at the largest gaming expo in the world, but I guess Nintendo thought it was a no biggy!!!
I liked the games they showed off but yeah you're right, looking back Nintendo didn't show a lot of what they announced previous to E3 which was unfortunate but I'm sure well get information from the next direct they do.
Well that is Treehouse footage, so they might not be the best source all the time

They’re practically guaranteed to return...but whether they’ll be reused+new lines recorded or everything is redone is the real question (same for Snake and his Codec Calls)

If not an echo (to show that the Palutena Army is better than the Forces of Nature), then Viridi could use all of her minions against her enemies...plus Pit
Why on earth is there a debate on whether or not Viridi is a possible future Echo fighter. Is she really that popular?

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I'm happy that everyone including Snake returned, also Ridley kinda looks fun to play as.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Still, Dry Bowser was among the heaviest racers in the original Wii U version of Mario Kart 8, so I wouldn't find it too odd if he got the echo fighter treatment.
But, that's what I'm proposing. You can have slightly different characteristics and still be an echo fighter. Lucina is shorter than Marth.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I liked the games they showed off but yeah you're right, looking back Nintendo didn't show a lot of what they announced previous to E3 which was unfortunate but I'm sure well get information from the next direct they do.
Besides Smash and Fire Emblem, the only other major games to come out down the far road are Yoshi, Bayo 3, and MP4...all of which are either only in the early stages or midway at best

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I feel my post might've been a bit misconstrued, and if so, my bad. But I wasn't coming down on clones. I don't mind clones (I don't like some of the characters who become clones, but that's another issue), I just think it's fairly surreal that people seemingly think, or at least act, as if we're dealing with something that hasn't been present in the series since its outset. Or that there's been some paradigm shift greater than near direct clones just being given a name.

It's like if Sakurai rounded up the heavyweights and said their official branding was "Bruisers", and then people went mad try to populate a niche that's been present since the beginning.
Nah, that was my bad in hindsight. I initially quoted your post for a response, but realized I had completely misinterpreted what you said, and forgot to take it out after posting it :p

I do agree with what you're saying though, it is a little silly that some think we're dealing with something that we've never seen before. The fact clones have been given official names has more or less seemed to trip people up when it comes to speculation.

Iridium

Smash Hero
That's simple; the trailers were made quite a bit beforehand and the final edition just changed the number.

Kind of funny when these silly things happen. Heck, Olimar's page says "Olimer" in the background.
The game at one point was called Super Smash Bros. game for the Nintendo Switch system. I could not take the website seriously after that.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can anyone confirm Ganon's voice? I hopped over to his thread and some people saying his voice might be deeper like Melee, but I can't find a confirmation. God I hope it is, his Melee voice had POWER.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Besides Smash and Fire Emblem, the only other major games to come out down the far road are Yoshi, Bayo 3, and MP4...all of which are either only in the early stages or midway at best
Bill Trinen said that we'll get more info on Yoshi's Flipping Island before the end of the year.

Hey, that's at least something to look forward to as opposed to a full year being a total blank on the game

Iridium

Smash Hero
Okay so guys.

Guys we need to talk about Zelda.

She is so... FUN.

I got to play more Smash today (The line was INSANELY fast, I think there's a very good chance I'll get to play a LOT more tomorrow) and tried Zelda first. I have never liked Zelda as a fighter, she's just been so boring and basic and bad.

...I enjoyed her so much that I played her for all 4 of my remaining matches.

I don't know WHAT it is, but she just has so much more OOMPH to everything she does and it is incredible. And the Phantom?! You can set it up wherever, even in mid air, and it will lunge forward quickly and attack after a certain point, and hits pretty hard. I threw someone into it as it lunged forward and nailed it, it was SO satisfying.

And Din's Fire doesn't put you in free fall anymore and everything she does just has so much more ENERGY and expressiveness to it!

I'm floored, of all the veterans we have I never thought Zelda would be the biggest draw to me. I dunno if she's GREAT, but she is better, absolutely no doubt there. I am very much looking forward to playing her more.

...Also, the most hilarious thing happened. We ended up on New Pork after picking random, and of course Lucas's good friend the Chimera is back. But I ended up getting the Squid Sisters when pulling an assist, and the CHIMERA LITERALLY PROWLED AROUND IN FRONT OF THEM THE ENTIRE TIME, and there was VERY little room to move since we were on the bottom part of New Pork, so all three of the guys I was playing with got chomp'd. I barely managed to dance around him. But we all got a good laugh.
Can you please tell me how BOTW Link is tomorrow? If you can record footage too, that would be nice.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I wonder what are Snake's Palutena's Guidance and Palutena's Snake Codec gonna be like?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So far the Smash Blog on Nintendo's site has two Today's Fighter posts.

The 12th lists Inklings and the 13th Ridley. These would be the first and second day of the Expo.

Meaning the 14th (last day) may have a Today's Fighter.

Belmont?

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
Who do you think are the two most likely to get added to the two free spaces left in the roster on the SSBU website?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Already added this to the Sheik subforum, but I found a video of her new Final Smash that I was talking about earlier today:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Complete sentences.
Require a verb.
i started a charizard rock smash petition thread, please take a look and comment
Do you want it over Flare Blitz?

Well, Ike is top tier in this build. Just because she's being beaten up by one of the best characters doesn't mean she's bad.
Just because anything's happening doesn't mean anyone is good or bad. We've had like two days of this game, and it takes much, much longer than that for a tier list to be even semi-stable.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bill Trinen said that we'll get more info on Yoshi's Flipping Island before the end of the year.

Hey, that's at least something to look forward to as opposed to a full year being a total blank on the game
That’s good for you...but I’m more focused on Bayo and Metroid
I wonder what are Snake's Palutena's Guidance and Palutena's Snake Codec gonna be like?
Pit and Snake talk to one another instead of trying to get the advantage on each other (the others can join in to, but Pit and Snake just having a boys day/night out is what’s needed)
Funny how they roasted Chrom for being a carbon copy but so was Dark Pit who literally only had 2 different moves
Those moves are barely different, which makes the irony even better

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Who do you think are the two most likely to get added to the two free spaces left in the roster on the SSBU website?
Chorus men and Simon belmont.
Both extremely likely for different reasons.
Simon leaked by Vergeben, and is extremely likely IMO.
Chorus men in the files for smash 4, likely excluded for same reason as icies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom